(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Level Contest Japan - a classic

Post by Sugar »

102/100
The0x539
some SMBX2 dev dude

Post by The0x539 »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago You could, but it would take way more time/effort and a more advanced skillset. And most of the people who'd be willing to put that much time into a level would probably just make a good level.
Bad Ideas doesn't really have any interesting tech, it's mostly vanilla aside from the reskinning.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Horikawa I ban you for inappropriate image in your level.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Welcome to Steven's Universe
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Congratulations to raocow for beating that level without cheating.

Congratulations to Horikawa for murdering raocow 85 times and making him stare at Shin-chan's ass all the while.
Money

Post by Money »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago You could, but it would take way more time/effort and a more advanced skillset. And most of the people who'd be willing to put that much time into a level would probably just make a good level.

See: the fact that you never see levels like this in SMW collab hacks but you're guaranteed several of them in SMBX collab hacks.
So pretty much you like SMW more because the barrier of entry is higher. That's... kinda elitist.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago

See: the fact that you never see levels like this in SMW collab hacks but you're guaranteed several of them in SMBX collab hacks.
So pretty much you like SMW more because the barrier of entry is higher. That's... kinda elitist.
Having used both, I wouldn't say the barrier to entry is higher, moreso the level design floor is lower in smbx. You can make crap in both, it's just in smbx, the crap tends to be because the author came up with a gimmick to the level that was crap, while in smbx, the crap just end up being the same "youtube level" stuff; it's harder in smw to make a crap gimmick.

This may be because of the nature of the engines, or it may be because SMW hacking has been around more (bringing design standards up), I don't know.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago I believe it's the first level in the middle path
Fucked up if true.

I actually died way less than raocow in this level, it was pretty fun.

Then later I noticed the "1/2 exits" in the corner and went looking for the missing exit.

There wasn't one.

Good thing that oversight got fixed!

e: Wait, more importantly, where's the translation for the text? I need to know!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago

I mean, you can rephrase it like that to make me sound like a big meanie head, but I'm talking purely from a player perspective. It's easier to put bad ideas into execution in SMBX, plain and simple. So then you get stupid meme levels, whereas a bad SMW level on the other hand is just a youtube level with a bunch of floating munchers everywhere.
The barrier to entry is a pretty decent barrier for quality too.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ashan, we went over this before. An editor having more features or being easier to use is not a bad thing - this is why PGE editor is without a doubt better than vanilla SMBX 1.3 editor because the former is a more accessible version of the latter even with the equal capability to make same kind of levels.

Level creators misuing or abusing the better tools and making bad levels is not the fault of the editor. This excuse didn't work in favor of SMBX three years ago (read through page 2), and it doesn't work in favor of SMW hacking now.
Last edited by ano0maly 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

You can make crap in anything, it's just more easier to make crap in some things than others.

I mean, compare my first SMW level against my first SMBX level. Both are crap, but I don't think the engine is the reason why one is worse than the other.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago Ashan, we went over this before. An editor having more features or being easier to use is not a bad thing
It is when someone with bad ideas is trying to implement them in both. Sometimes less is more, ya know?

SMW is a haiku, and SMBX is just pure unrestricted writing.
In the freeform/SMBX format, you can get away with more, and if someone who knows what they're doing is using it they can make some really great stuff (like the Scaffolding level from the other day) but generally if someone who sucks at levels gets ahold of it they'll just put in whatever garbage comes to mind and you get fanfiction.net
With haikus you can still get away with some great, creative things, and the talented people will still make great stuff, but if someone sucks at it, you don't have to put up with as much of their garbage because it's harder for them to fit it all in.
Money

Post by Money »

I don't get how "has more restrictions" is a point towards an engine, nor how "it's possible to make a wider variety of bad stuff" is a point against one. In fact I'd argue it's a lot easier to make something completely unplayable in SMW by the sheer fact that many objects and tiles become pure glitchy broken garbage if you use them with the wrong tileset.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I think I'm understanding his point to be that SMBX has a lower skill floor than SMW, which is fair imo.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Edit:I now realize that this is getting too general and off-topic for this thread, so I'll continue this in the topic I linked.
Last edited by ano0maly 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

why
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Parama wrote: 6 years agowhy
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
pls dont kill me mods and/or ashan
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago Ashan, we went over this before. An editor having more features or being easier to use is not a bad thing - this is why PGE editor is without a doubt better than vanilla SMBX 1.3 editor because the former is a more accessible version of the latter even with the equal capability to make same kind of levels.

Level creators misuing or abusing the better tools and making bad levels is not the fault of the editor. This excuse didn't work in favor of SMBX three years ago (read through page 2), and it doesn't work in favor of SMW hacking now.
The best thing I learned from reading that thread is that both SMBX and SMW are trash and we should all play Super Mario Flash instead. Thanks Sturg!
aka Cthulhu
Totally not a murderous tentacle. You can trust him.

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Gotta say, thanks to raocow I can say that I spent 8 minutes in my life staring at a butt. ...please don't put that out of context.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

This is really all I could think of during that entire level. Just because it's meant as a joke doesn't mean it's any better than if it wasn't just a joke. Which is unfortunate because the basic concept could've made for a legitimately interesting level if used properly.
Grounder wrote: 6 years agopls dont kill me mods and/or ashan
Does that mean you're free game for the rest of us?
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Level Contest Japan - secret stars secret stars

Post by Truhan »

I wish all levels ended with a Image
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Here's a hot take: irrespective of their actual merits as levels, silhouette levels don't deserve to be called 'most artistic'.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I like that style, but it being the most artistic one means we're probably not going to see like, a hand-drawn level anywhere in this game.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Negative Space was quite dull. It's very easy to get lost in it and it doesn't communicate to you how you need the dragon coins for the star. The result is a lot of meandering and time-wasting, made worse by how long it takes to get to anywhere.
The BGM, while fitting, was also terribly boring.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago Here's a hot take: irrespective of their actual merits as levels, silhouette levels don't deserve to be called 'most artistic'.
When rao said: "that's the kind of level which gets you a most artistic" at the start, I was ready to be disappointed.
Because those silhouette levels feel really overdone for me by now.

But the artistic part is clearly the black and white duality. It needed to be silhoutte to get that negative space switch effect going, by which I mean it's artistic despite not because it's a silhouette.

And the effect works really well. The spikes, the bricks, the moles; it's all so clever.
This is my personal favorite level of the contest so far and I really don't expect any other level beating it.
I think this is in my top three most artistic levels of all time actually.
Memory is tough sometimes but that feels true right now.