(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: Level Contest Japan - still putting off veggie pile

Post by Emral »

I cannot rule out the possibility that I'm at fault for the arrows breaking, but I really have no idea what action might've screwed things up, especially since I don't remember playing any non-broken version.
My edits to the code were nothing but attempts to fix the intro that refuses to play, which is likely caused due to onStart being a bit buggy on the world map. I have no idea how moving coroutine code back a frame would also break initialisation of enemies. But oh well.
Took a look yesterday to check where those colliders are. There appears to be only one that gets moved a few hundred times per frame? It's a nightmare to debug and I really haven't gotten anywhere with it.

Also the 2nd DDR machine is really really confusing. I lost the "great" score a good 5 times when the arrows started spinning. I ended up memorising it based on which direction the arrows approached the circles from, but it took a while.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

heycallmeZe wrote: 6 years ago ...Doesn't willhart usually make a quick response on this?
there might be reason why he responded in the YT comments only
コンコン
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

nice computer you got here

can i have it

But seriously, you have some weird priorities, judge.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Enjl wrote: 6 years agoTook a look yesterday to check where those colliders are. There appears to be only one that gets moved a few hundred times per frame?
Does that mean they all share a single collider that just gets teleported around constantly or something?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I like how they chose such a weird level to win but it wasn't a favorite. Like, liking weird levels is one thing, and giving them the big prize is another thing, but "this broken level is the best level but not my subjective favorite" implies a lot of thought went into results that seem nonsensical.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Emral

Post by Emral »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Enjl wrote: 6 years agoTook a look yesterday to check where those colliders are. There appears to be only one that gets moved a few hundred times per frame?
Does that mean they all share a single collider that just gets teleported around constantly or something?
That's what I think is going on, yes.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago I like how they chose such a weird level to win but it wasn't a favorite. Like, liking weird levels is one thing, and giving them the big prize is another thing, but "this broken level is the best level but not my subjective favorite" implies a lot of thought went into results that seem nonsensical.
Given that the level was broken on porting, I suspect that the original, non-broken version of the level was judged.

I like SYSTEM ERROR a lot. It's short and fast paced, with a lot of neat setups. I really liked how the grey platforms were used with the line guides and floating obstacles. Despite having to move differently each time, I still felt like there was always a way forward. I'm less a fan of jumping up on ledges just past the red balls because of the lack of leeway in SMBX's hitboxes. I also wish I was given a second or two more time at the start to collect my bearings.

The second level was well presented, but it felt average to me in terms of gameplay. Killing the viruses was just about jumping on them on flatish ground most of the time, so it didn't really add much to the level. I enjoyed the water sections though, funnily enough.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Apparently the SYSTEM ERROR spheres had square hitboxes with corners that slightly reached beyond the actual visible edge of the circle. That's about my only gripe with it
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So why is Willhart in the same DO NOT FEED group as Black DS? I was told many years ago that usergroup was specially reserved for him.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it basically became 'never let this person back'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice

Post by Alice »

Enjl wrote: 6 years agoThat's what I think is going on, yes.
I can see why someone might want to do that to try to avoid performance issues but that just sounds like it's asking for problems to crop up.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago it basically became 'never let this person back'
Wow, what happened in those three days I was gone from the talkhaus...

I need to venture into the other sub-forums more often.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Level Contest Japan - PLARNT

Post by Ashan »

I really think if someone wants attention and is acting up in seriously harmful ways, putting them in a special usergroup with only 2 people is the exact opposite of what you should do. Because then you have situations like this where every thread you have people asking "why is this person in the bad person usergroup?"
Especially when one is supposedly a serial harasser and the other guy was just a troll from like 8 years ago, and you're placing them side-by-side.

Anyway I really liked today's level. The gimmick was neat and the jokes were funny.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Man, I never expected a crossover game between Psycho Waluigi and Abducted Toad, but they did a good job not letting one outshining the other!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Scaffolding of Reality is pretty amazing with its wrap around gimmicks. I believe there are multiple ways to do the last section in that level.
Now there's one 7NameSam level left in the contest, but raocow isn't going to see it for a while. It might be the best of the three though (but that could be up to taste)
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I'll hop on the bandwagon and say that Scaffolding of Reality is pretty amazing. It's really weird having to think of areas that were previously dead ends as potential ways on. I have no clue how raocow managed to prevent the plant guy from despawning there, as I tried that several times as well. My solution ignored most of the elements in that part of the level, and it was less satisfying (just a simple wraparound in the right place).
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow, that last level could have made it's own game.

Though looking at the lengths of the 1st and 2nd halves, they should have each been their own level (never thought I would say that). Especially in a non-contest setting. It just seemed like the 1st half was winding down to a close, when you find that village. But then you follow a magic crab through a door.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Emral

Post by Emral »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago Wow, that last level could have made it's own game.

Though looking at the lengths of the 1st and 2nd halves, they should have each been their own level (never thought I would say that). Especially in a non-contest setting. It just seemed like the 1st half was winding down to a close, when you find that village. But then you follow a magic crab through a door.
I disagree. The 2nd half puts a nice twist on the level's idea and is generally shorter than what comes before the village. The level only takes a while because of the puzzles being tricky.

Plarnt despawn prevention is cause smbx enemies despawn after 3 seconds and raocow happened to be faster that one time.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Scaffolding of Reality is basically Four-Sided Fantasy, but uh, more interesting and funny. Just not as pretty. That's on sale right now and for $2 and 2 hours you can definitely do worse if you liked today's level.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I have a certain tendancy to retry the exact same thing a few times before trying to do something else. People criticise me over this, and I understand that. But this video is an example of WHY I do this, and why I'll keep doing this.
I think you've somewhat misinterpreted peoples' criticisms. The issue isn't that you try one solution many times. The issue is that you don't try other stuff when it seems like the way you're going isn't working. For example if you'd tried the proper solution here a bunch then looked around for alternate options before settling on the fact it seems to be the only actual solution here then it wouldn't be an issue at all.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

You know, it's pretty weird that there are actual roads in City Town, yet for some reason all the cars diligently avoid them and instead drive on those public square things.

Also, today's second level was all kinds of crazy in so many delightful ways.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Scaffolding of Reality is also one of my favorite levels of the contest (though there are still a few levels I haven't seen yet)

it and another of my favorites that rao hasn't gotten to yet came really close to winning and I'm kinda sad neither of them did win
Grounder

Re: Level Contest Japan - a classic

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Mega Mario X for SMBX 3.14 Horikawa pls.

The levels today were ok, but I don't know what else to say about them.
The Hoopstar was amazing though.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

These levels were weirdly similar even if they were themed differently. Both of them were decently done for the most part. I always felt like I had to put at least some effort into avoiding the enemies. There wasn't really anything novel here though, as levels themed around the classic games are hardly uncommon, especially in contests. I don't mind having a few levels like this around though.

The Metroid section was also pretty boring. I appreciate that it isn't just "clean through enemies with superior firepower", but slowly chiseling out blocks wasn't very much fun either.