(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Level Contest Japan - importing contests form overseas

Post by Grounder »

Please, please, please stop submitting old levels for contests, it's lazy and goes against the spirit of things.

On a mostly unrelated note, the shadow level had a few (mostly small) genuine issues with visibility, which is something you need to look out for when making everything the same one color. Also, yeah, the down arrow trees weren't exactly clear, either.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

The shadow level had some interesting setups but the problem is the lack of an explanation - ie the arrows on the trees showing where the ground is. You should always present them in a safe environment before using an element like that.

Also killing those big Piranhas isnt really all that engaging and could just as well be cut entirely.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Silhouettes are basically raocow's Man Getting Hit By Football
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Both these levels were finicky in mildly irritating ways.
The second level did excel at what it does, but hitboxes.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Please stop making shadow/silhouette levels. They aren't interesting, they haven't been novel for at least ten years and they just plain lead to bad decisions most of the time.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I had some stupid deaths in Sunset Athletic from misreading the obstacles, but I consider those on me to some extent, especially because raocow didn't have issues in the same places.

I liked the jellyfish level, honestly. It required thinking ahead and it was pretty fair. Not a very big-friendly level, but it compensated for that by giving two powerups at once most of the time so that you could skip straight to fireballs.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So I noticed the Jellyfish level didn't award a star at the end.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago So I noticed the Jellyfish level didn't award a star at the end.
It wasn't required for your level to end in a star
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

The start+select to exit levels is a cool addition, but it seems to be a bit finicky regarding the timing/order you have to hit the buttons to get it to work. raocow ended up having to sacrifice his reserve item to get it to work, which doesn't seem ideal.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

kitikami wrote: 6 years ago The start+select to exit levels is a cool addition, but it seems to be a bit finicky regarding the timing/order you have to hit the buttons to get it to work. raocow ended up having to sacrifice his reserve item to get it to work, which doesn't seem ideal.
Yeah there is a small quirk with it, but dropping the reserve powerup isn't required.
The reason for this quirk is that I don't let the player start-select out while the game is paused because it kept crashing the game.
What you CAN do is hit pause, then unpause and hit select while still holding pause.
I agree it would be nice for it to be more straightforward, but I thought losing a powerup is a pretty minor loss compared to the game crashing at random or tossing you into limbo (a not fully-loaded version of the world map).
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

cool tech today

boss hitbox was too big though, and the high possibility of getting hurt by that first attack a few times is lame
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I feel like you need to get hit a few times to learn the mechanics of this level, but it's worth it for the payoff of how this levels plays out. I think the boss should have ended one phase earlier so that you'd win right after the chase segment. It would have made for a more impactful finish IMO, and I think the boss would have benefited from being slightly shorter. But this level was great and really fun to play!
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

So is the naming gimmick this time "first enemy raocow defeats", then? I'm a little uncertain.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I've played this level ahead of raocow and it's really neat imo.
It's too bad that it's too unforgiving/long in both halves, but the gimmicks and puzzles are quite clever. It'd be nice to have more platforms at the boss so you can bait it higher easier (or have boss's flame catching hitbox be larger)
Luckily, there are quite a few levels that are incredibly creative and didn't fall into this execution trap later on...
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 6 years ago So is the naming gimmick this time "first enemy raocow defeats", then? I'm a little uncertain.
nailed it
it's rare that a gimmick stays hidden for this long!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Lockirby2

Re: Level Contest Japan - surprise-a!

Post by Lockirby2 »

I really like the presentation in the first level, but there isn't much meat to it. I never felt threatened by the boss at all. I feel like it goes beyond "easy" to the point where it isn't remotely dangerous, and it doesn't ramp up much, unlike the excellent Elder Flame fight.

The second level reminds me of the colossal SMB2 level from one of the MAGLs, but with Precambrian flavour. Enemies weren't placed as carefully though IMO.

That time stop gimmick is really unfun when combined with rinkas and tightish platforming. Rinkas usually force you to move quickly, but you can't do that here. It's a shame because the rest of the level is really fun. I like the bite sized chunks of level that you have to complete in one iteration of the time stop.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

As usual, the main problem with rinkas is spawn rate. If you had to deal with one rinka per time stop, they wouldn't be so bad, but by the time you dodge one, another gets spawned.

When you actually have time to breathe in between rinka spawns, they're not a major problem even in large numbers. (As long as those large numbers are spawned all at once, rather than staggered.) On the other hand, a single rinka shooter can be a huge annoyance if it's spawning too often and you have other obstacles to deal with. And the time stop in this level is a pretty major obstacle.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

When I rule the world I'm going to make Touhou SMBX levels illegal. And basically nobody would understand what it means except for all of YOU
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

The reason why Deflation looks like Mechdragon's MaGLX level is because litchh doesn't know what making an original level means.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

It should be illegal to use those assets in any SMBX level. Although that level's looks belie its pretty OK design, with an especially concise boss!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

What was the overworld music at the end of the video? Sounded a lot like a Super Meat Boy track remix but I couldn't hear it clearly enough to make sure.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago What was the overworld music at the end of the video? Sounded a lot like a Super Meat Boy track remix but I couldn't hear it clearly enough to make sure.
Seems like a remix of Forest Funk.
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

man, and I thought mechdragon's maglx1 level was unfun
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

glitch4 wrote: 6 years ago man, and I thought mechdragon's maglx1 level was unfun
What?

Yeah, the time stop mechanic could have worked better, but this was miles above bullet hell nonsense in a Mario game.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
GamersTavern
Retro Reviewer

Post by GamersTavern »

So many contests, so little time.