(shouting)

Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where The Police Are After Us

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kincyr
HONK!

Re: Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where The Police Are After Us

Post by Kincyr »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: 6 years ago Guess it wouldn't be a raocow LP without him screwing himself out of a sweet bonus. At least he got the other one, so we're still golden.
pun intended?
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

Kitsune Zeta wrote: 6 years agoThe difference between my password and yours is that my password results in a legal game state that can be reached in a normal playthrough, whereas yours cannot be reached legitimately. In any case, raocow wanted to show off obtaining the Z-saber, which requires Vile destroyed.
I figured that after raocow legit obtains the Z-saber, he could immediately jump to the alternate boss playthrough and still be able to show off how insanely powerful it is against bosses.
Kitsune Zeta wrote: 6 years agoWhile not affecting either of our passwords, that password generator doesn't generate proper passwords when any combination of Bit, Byte, or Vile are destroyed.
I know. there is a link to a more technical page for properly setting those bits, which also mentions some things the developers thought of beforehand and some interesting weird effects with combinations they didn't think of.

things the game checks for:
  • since the Z-saber is obtained in one of Doppler's stages, they put in a check so the password will fail if any Maverick is undefeated
  • same thing if

Zero is still alive

• attempting to have all four chips will result in you not having obtained any of them. (the CD-ROM versions were updated to refuse any combination of more than one)
  • setting Bit/Byte/Vile to "defeated with a weakness" without also setting them to "defeated" (this is where the generator fails to make proper passwords regarding Bit/Byte/Vile)
things the developers didn't think of:
  • having enhancement chips without the corresponding armor upgrade (Head chip will work fine as it has its own mechanic, Arm chip prevents you from firing if you don't also have the Arm upgrade, Armor and Foot chips simply won't do anything without their respective upgrades)
  • Z-saber doesn't check if Vile was both "defeated" and "defeated with a weakness" (I should check if the CD-ROM versions fixed this one)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

temp.png
temp.png (57.77 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
Thanks, doc.

/getsbanned4lyfe
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

"But if you wanna have a real good time, you wanna use acid"
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so out of curiosity, if I wanted to keep going with the playstation x games down the line, how difficult is it to set up
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

In my experience Playstation emulation has been really solid for a number of years now. I've had good experiences with ePSXe, which I'm pretty sure you can run windowed for recording purposes. Can't really vouch for anything else.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

ePSXe is relatively easy, you just gotta set up the most capable plugins (which i think it comes with) when you first start it up. you might need a simple guide to tell you what the best plugins are, though. i've been able to get X4 and X5 running perfectly fine on it; haven't tried X6

though, i'm not sure if it's the "standard" playstation emulator anymore? it's what i've always used but heck, i only switched to snes9x from zsnes last year, so...
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago so out of curiosity, if I wanted to keep going with the playstation x games down the line, how difficult is it to set up

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index ... _emulators
CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 6 years ago ePSXe is relatively easy, you just gotta set up the most capable plugins (which i think it comes with) when you first start it up. you might need a simple guide to tell you what the best plugins are, though. i've been able to get X4 and X5 running perfectly fine on it; haven't tried X6

though, i'm not sure if it's the "standard" playstation emulator anymore? it's what i've always used but heck, i only switched to snes9x from zsnes last year, so...
quick check of r/emulation (and the emulation wiki), and it seems either Mednafen/mednafen-hw-psx libretro core or PCSX-R is the way to go now.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

X4 - X6 run without any issue* on ePSXe, and it's rather simple to set up iirc (source: I always have the hardest time to get things going on computers, and don't remember grief).

*except for the issue of the latter two blowing big nasty chunks, but what can you do!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Man, I really don't get the massive amounts of X5 hatred in this thread. I actually had more fun with X5 than X4. :(

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Hmm, tried to download it but when I try it I get an error message. Did you guys just download it it straight and it worked or did you have to get anything else? A lot of sites talk about plug-ins and bios, which is, like, huh, haha
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Just Grab RetroArch. You don't need to worry about plugins or stuff like that (just the PS1 BIOS I believe). Throw the BIOS in the right folder, drag the game in, and it work right away.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago Man, I really don't get the massive amounts of X5 hatred in this thread. I actually had more fun with X5 than X4. :(
It's been a long time since I've played it, but as I recall, it's just too different in all the bad ways at once in a franchise that almost seems to take great pride in stagnant consistency. The level designers became obsessed with gimmicks, and most stages have one that detracts from the traditional feel the MMX games that came before had. While X4 may have been the start of this odd downturn in the series, it still resembles the first three games enough in overall structure to not feel like it alienated what had been built up before.

Plus, I think that the whole

"you may or may not have to defeat only four bosses before you go to the endgame!" thing

(I mean, God help you if you're going through that first Sigma stage and don't have Dark Necrobat's weapon!)

coupled with the suddenly different in worse ways upgrade system, inability to shoot through walls, and bosses having a weird level system that turns them into damage sponges did little other than detract from X5 as a whole.

At least game over doesn't start you back at the beginning of each stage, I guess! The soundtrack is overall pretty great, too.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago Man, I really don't get the massive amounts of X5 hatred in this thread. I actually had more fun with X5 than X4. :(

Volt Kraken - You can die before the Ready message goes away. / Tidal Whale - Play the slow stage once to get a weapon, second time to get the capsule with the weapon, third time with the armor you get there for... something. A Heart? / That one stupid jump out of the mech in the lava for the capsule in Burn Dinorex's stage. / More text boxes than any playthrough I've ever done... and these forced ones stop the gameplay multiple times per stage!

Some reasons for me anyway.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Man, raocow gettin' wrecked by Vava's command grab.

I personally really enjoyed the second Vava fight. It's really fast and you have to keep moving, his four different attacks have to be reacted to in very different ways, and all of them are throwbacks to the X1 Vava fights. Goliath Armor looks pretty cool and is a really neat concept but is just a less interesting Frozen Buffalio fight, which is kind of X3's recurring problem. "Looks cool and is an interesting concept, what a shame it's not done better."

And honestly that kind of applies to everything from pseudoplayable zero to the barely-used ride armor.
raocow wrote: 6 years ago so out of curiosity, if I wanted to keep going with the playstation x games down the line, how difficult is it to set up
If you're going to play x6, nobody's going to enjoy themselves without you using savestates.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Yes, Vile returns in X8, which is on PC so you should play it eventually.

Also, you should use the gpuBladeSoft 1.44 plugin if you're gonna play the PSX games with ePSXe, otherwise the sprites will be slightly distorted.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

it might be worth noting that X4 kinda requires two playthroughs for the complete story, as X's and Zero's stories differ in ways and when you pick a character at the beginning of the game, you're stuck with them for that save. their playstyles are also different.

basically, playing as Zero entails different gameplay, but the tradeoff if that Zero's version of the story also reveals some interesting details about his past.

X4-X6 have code-exclusive "Ultimate Armor" for X and Zero (in X5, they can also be obtained without a code)

Zero was planned to have his own Ultimate Armor in X4, called "Mega Armor", but due to reasons, it was scrapped and replaced with a black palette swap (first seen as the fake Zero in X2). because this is purely cosmetic in X4, I'll share the code to give him the black armor, should you choose to play as Zero: at the character select screen, highlight Zero, hold R1 and press Right 6 times, release R1, Hold O and press Start.

in X5 and X6, the Black Zero armor does grant advantages, and it was originally intended to be obtainable in X6, but isn't due to an oversight that makes the prerequisite situation impossible.
Kitsune Zeta

Post by Kitsune Zeta »

I had mentioned that Vile's weakness was covered previously, but I should also point out that the Goliath ride armor, unlike the Kangaroo ride armor Vile uses in his lair, has separate weaknesses, those being Tornado Fang and Parasitic Bomb. The Goliath Armor is also one of two bosses in the entire game to take increased damage from charged buster hits (1:2:3:3, as opposed to the standard table of 1:1:2:3), the other being the intro stage boss Maoh the Giant (2:3:4). The only other boss with a different X-buster damage table is the one boss immune to all boss weapons, and that boss has a damage table of x:1:2:3 (uncharged shots cannot hit him)

Incidentally, the Z-Saber has a flat damage table of 16:20 against all bosses that it can be used against. The actual damage depends on whether or not X has the arm upgrade - having it changes it from a melee-only attack dealing 16 to a projectile attack that does 8 damage followed by three 4-damage followup hits, totaling 20 damage dealt.

Since I also neglected to mention Dr. Doppler's weaknesses (for the curious), his weakness is Acid Burst (direct hits for uncharged attacks, not the small droplets), with a minor weakness to charged Triad Thunder (2 if the shockwave connects, another 2 if the electric balls hit). And it is surprisingly easy to accidentally hit him with some attacks when he pops his energy shield up (moreso as Zero, in the Project Zero hack, as if he pops the shield when you hit him with the Z-saber, he'll pretty much recover all the damage the attack hit him for and then some)
raocow wrote: so out of curiosity, if I wanted to keep going with the playstation x games down the line, how difficult is it to set up
I'll leave emulator suggestions to other people since they're more likely to know than I am. I will say that I don't have anywhere near the wealth of knowledge for the latter X games that I had for X1 through X3, seeing as the only later game I recall playing was X5. I do know that X4 has two storylines: one for X, and one for Zero. I don't know if it's worth doing a dual playthrough of it, though.

If you happen to have PCSX2 (PS2) OR Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii) already set up and working, you may want to look into the Megaman X collection instead of hunting around for the individual games, as that collection runs from X1 to X6. If you (for whatever reason) have both set up, go with PCSX2, as X7 was PS2-exclusive (except in Korea, oddly enough, where it saw a PC release), and X8 did see a European PC release in addition to the standard PS2 release.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The fight against Bit and Byte would've been a lot better if Byte split into 8 Bits so you had to fight 9 of them at once.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Horikawa Otane wrote: 6 years ago
Kitsune Zeta wrote: 6 years ago
raocow wrote: so out of curiosity, if I wanted to keep going with the playstation x games down the line, how difficult is it to set up
If you happen to have PCSX2 (PS2) OR Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii) already set up and working, you may want to look into the Megaman X collection instead of hunting around for the individual games, as that collection runs from X1 to X6. If you (for whatever reason) have both set up, go with PCSX2, as X7 was PS2-exclusive (except in Korea, oddly enough, where it saw a PC release), and X8 did see a European PC release in addition to the standard PS2 release.
PSX Emulators are a messy, complicated topic to be entirely honest. PCSX2 + the X Collection might just be the way to go from 'ease of setting up' tbqh.

Incidentally, the script I gave you to work with should work fine for any of the PSX/PS2 X games you care to play.
Not any more. Earlier today I tested PS1 emulation in RetroArch (just to make sure), and it worked straight out of the box, no issues, barely any setup (just tweaking options).
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I like the Doppler Boss music, but it definitely gets repetitive if one of those bosses gives you trouble. The one I was never big on is the normal boss theme since it loops even faster!
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I never really understood why X3 (and to a lesser extent, X2) had such repetitive boss themes when the original MMX's is actually a pretty darn lengthy melody with multiple phrases that might be TOO long considering the sheer abruptness of some of the fights. Lack of budget? Luckily, X3 is the low point of the X series's music for a good long while, as all three PSX entries are amazing in the audio department (I can't comment on the PS2 entries).

Speaking of which, if raocow is indeed going to do X4 after this, I have to advise against playing as Zero. Nearly everything in the game is way harder with him than X because Zero loses his buster and becomes a melee-only character in a series obviously designed for long-range gunning, not to mention he gets no capsule upgrades and one or two of his boss weapons aren't actually weapons, making a couple of his boss fights way longer than they need to be (mostly because you can't charge the saber). That's just my two cents, though; by all means, play Zero if you want different gameplay and a slightly more interesting story.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago Speaking of which, if raocow is indeed going to do X4 after this, I have to advise against playing as Zero. Nearly everything in the game is way harder with him than X because Zero loses his buster and becomes a melee-only character in a series obviously designed for long-range gunning
buddy, this is why dashing & dash-jumping exist! zero isn't an up-close fighter, he's a hit-and-run fighter and boss fights with him are more engaging and REALLY exhilarating in my opinion

also, i hope you realize your error in suggesting raocow doesn't do something because it's harder than the alternative; you know he's going to take that challenge, hahah
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

besides, raocow's probably going to have to at least play a portion of both stories due to the fact that the boss of one of the end-game stages is character-specific.

if he doesn't feel like playing both stories of X4, I'm sure someone can provide save-states of the plot points of the story of the character he doesn't play.
Kitsune Zeta

Post by Kitsune Zeta »

Right, not really a lot to mention for Doppler 4 other than boss weakness notes, so here we go:

For Sigma (the first form), he has two weaknesses: Spinning Blade and Frost Shield. Kaiser Sigma, though, has immunity to all boss weapons AND can't be damaged with uncharged x-buster shots (they will simply bounce off). Both take the same amount of damage from the Z-saber (16 or 20, depending on whether or not the Arm Upgrade was obtained).

There's a slight variation in the ending depending on whether or not Zero is usable (having the Z-Saber does not affect the "Zero disabled" case). If Zero is sidelined (either because of dying while using him or getting the Z-saber), Dr. Doppler instead appears and contains Sigma to his body, which also has the Anti-Sigma virus. In Project Zero, which allows you to fight Sigma as Zero (as well as do basically everything except survive the Doppler 2 midboss as Zero), an additional variation was added in which X just shows up and shoots Sigma with an antivirus shot.

also, re: that one line in the ending: the japanese version also alludes to this, but isn't anywhere near as explicit about the outcome. The full ending text (courtesy this blog) is as follows:
たびかさなる シグマのけいかくを ことごとく
うちやぶってきた エックス。
しかし、たたかいのあとに
かれのこころにのこるのは むなしさだけだった。

なぜ、じんるいとレプリロイドたちが・・・
なぜ、レプリロイドどうしが たたかわなくては
ならないのか・・・

シグマにあやつられていた、ドップラーの
けんきゅうじょを みつめるエックス・・・

その、あかあかともえる ほのおをみつめながら
いきばのないかなしみと いかりによって
エックスのつめたいからだは ふるえていた・・・

そしていつか おもいだされるであろう
じぶんのきおくが、
ゼロとのたたかいを うんめいづけていることも
いまは しらずに・・・

そして かれらは このさき、
なにをみるのだろうか・・・

[TRANSLATION]

He who has repeatedly destroyed Sigma’s plans, X.
However, after the fight the only thing left in his heart is emptiness.

Why must mankind and Reploids…
Why must Reploids and fellow Reploids fight amongst themselves…?

Staring at the manipulated Doppler’s laboratory, X…

While gazing at that flame burning every so brightly,
X’s cold body trembles from a sorrow and rage with nowhere to go.

Then, someday to be reminded,
his own memory currently doesn’t know of
his fated fight with Zero…

What will they see ahead of them from here…