(shouting)

Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where The Police Are After Us

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lockirby2

Re: Obscure SNES Videogame, "Mega Man X"

Post by Lockirby2 »

MMX1 is the only MMX game I've played, but I immediately set dash to L because the default was so awkward.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

watching this playthrough so far has encouraged me to hook up my old GameCube, pop in Mega Man X Collection, and finally finish X3 and X5
Blue

Post by Blue »

Boomer Kuwanger did go untranslated, but kuwanger isn't stag beetle, kuwagata is. The translators probably had no clue that it was derived from kuwagata since every other maverick uses an English-derived animal name, like Sting Chameleao or Spark Mandriller, so they were confused and just left it alone.

The mistake wasn't repeated for the OTHER beetle maverick, Gravity Beetbood, because that's clearly beetle.

Someday I want to make a Megaman fangame where you have a Cutman/Quickman chimerabot that's literally just Boomer Kuwanger.
Money

Post by Money »

Boomer Kuwanger also sounds more like "boomerang" so that could be a contributing factor to its translation.
Tenlade

Re: Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where raocow Gets No Upgrades

Post by Tenlade »

Also Boomer Beetle would have been a really lame name.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

It's kinda too bad JoJoLion didn't exist when MMX was released. Otherwise, I'd be amused if they snuck Speed King's power into Boomer's skillset. Given how much terror he can cause through his teleportation, though, I'm sure he'd just as well do without it.

Coming up next: X is a kid now, X is a squid now.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm also of the "hardest buster duel = Launch Octopus" camp.

On the subject of boss weaknesses making less or more sense: I think at least some of the weaknesses are based around "use a weapon that works well against the boss's movement/attack pattern," rather than any sort of elemental or animal theme. For example:

- Storm Eagle spends most of his fight above you at an angle. The Chameleon Sting fires upward at exactly that angle.
- Sting Chameleon also fights either above at an angle or directly in front of you. The Boomerang Cutter shoots in front of you and then curves up to hit the necessary angle.
- Boomer Kuwanger teleports around. The Horming [sic] Torpedo seeks out his constantly-changing location.
- Flame Mammoth is a big target. The tornado weapon (which precise name escapes me) has a wide area of effect that, if fired during a jump, can pretty much hit the big guy no matter where he is on the screen.
Last edited by Voltgloss 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

If I'm remembering correctly, Maverick Hunter X changed Boomer Kuwanger's English name to Boomerang Kuwanger.

It also definitely changed Horming Torpedo to Homing Torpedo.

Blue

Re: Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where raocow Uses Invalid Symbols In Video Titles

Post by Blue »

Man, raocow didn't have to learn a thing about dealing with suction on spikes. What you do is go with the suction to get pulled to the other wall and recover from there.
Joseph Staleknight

X making sashimi out of Launch's tentacles is probably one of the most unique things they did in the X series. Normally, you just have the one weakness that deals more damage (and sometimes stuns the enemy) more than the others. In this case, though? The Cutter Boomerang "quasi-weakness" outright kills some of the boss's attack patterns, making him much easier. It makes for a unique way of ruining a boss that doesn't get used much elsewhere in the Mega Man franchise, if at all.

Anyway, I have the feeling tomorrow's going to be all
The OverClocked Plaid Muffins wrote:When I was younger, my old father would say
The only thing worth having was found at the end of each day
But that was then and this is now and he's far gone
And his voice did linger on for far too long
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

The Boomerang Cutter also cuts off Flame Mammoth's trunk. He loses the oil shot and the ability to change the direction of the conveyer belt, IIRC.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years agoIf I'm remembering correctly, Maverick Hunter X changed Boomer Kuwanger's English name to Boomerang Kuwanger.
I believe you're right on this. Maverick Hunter X was my introduction to the X series and I remember him being Boomerang Kuwanger.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Do a Buster-only, no powerups run of the Fortress.Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow please go and get the other upgrades because otherwise for the uninitiated there is no reason to believe that these so-called "up grades" actually exist and you are not just making them up
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Yeah, I'll put in a vote for "do a video of you actually getting all the upgrades".
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I'd rather see you go around and GET EQUIPPED WITH because the Sigma levels are going to be insufferable as it is
Joseph Staleknight

Yeah, I have to agree. Sigma's gonna get you hard if you don't get equipped.

In other news, I'm up to X5 in the LP Archive's MMX megathread and I just have to say this:
ALIA PLZ
Mineyl

Re: Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where - wait there are upgrades in this game?

Post by Mineyl »

Yeah, I've got to agree that you should get the upgrades. While doing everything up to Sigma without upgrades isn't so bad, Sigma himself is just a major troll. To put it in perspective, you have 20 HP and Sigma's two strongest attacks are both two-hit KOs against you as you currently stand. If you were to get all the upgrades, those two-hit KOs would become five-hit and seven-hit KOs, respectively. Major difference.

Of course, if you WANT to torture yourself for our amusement, then by all means go for it~ :lol:
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Go for every upgrade except the buster upgrade. Feel free to show off where it is, but don't get it because the game has a stronger narrative structure if you don't get it.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

do an upgrades video where you also indirectly show off some alternate versions of levels like flame mammoth's level

that'd be rad
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

ACesspoolofHatred wrote: 6 years ago do an upgrades video where you also indirectly show off some alternate versions of levels like flame mammoth's level

that'd be rad
too bad he can't show off the unaltered version of Spark Mandrill's stage in his current playthrough because he already beat Storm Eagle
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I never knew this until I saw it in another video, but apparently that MM2 Bubble Bat near the start of Armored Armadillo's stage has a really high chance of dropping 1-ups when destroyed.

Perhaps that information will prove useful for raocow if he decides to tackle Sigma with limited upgrades (and wants to farm 1-ups before doing so).
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where The Power Is Out

Post by raocow »

... says the one who started their career with Super DK 99.
PLEASE.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I vote for Sigma w/o backtracking. raocow will have more or less the same stuff as I had during my blind run of the game (and he knows how subtanks work, which is also helpful).
Joseph Staleknight

That's all I have to say.

Thanks, DarkZero the Lemming.