(shouting)

Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where The Police Are After Us

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where raocow is even more overpowered now

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

That secret is pretty much worth it just to flash-punch Agile in the face. Can't really think of any other fights where weakness weapons aren't simpler or more fun to use.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I will never understand why Agile turns into what looks like a butterfly plastered on a toilet paper holder.

He's weak to Magnet Mine since you can guide it up at him. If you're totally off the top of the screen, those electric balls he shoots when the spiked ceiling's made won't hurt you. Out of sight, out of mind. Really easy boss considering how annoying Violen and Serges' battles can be.
Blue

Post by Blue »

raocow, can you do me a favor and show off what happens if you pick Magna Centipede's stage when the final Sigma stage is available? I'm pretty sure that in at least one version that

picking that stage when the final stage is available makes you play the final sigma stage instead of the normal stage.

Kitsune Zeta

Post by Kitsune Zeta »

I can confirm that what Blue is saying is accurate for the US version (and most definitely also accurate for the Japanese version). Technically, it shouldn't even be in a spoiler, as in the Japanese version, at this exact point, it's not. That last bit with Sigma, translated from the Japanese version into english, is basically as follows:
Sigma: It’s been a while, X.

X: …! Sigma?!

Sigma: Evidently, it would seem the Counter Hunter’s strategy has also failed. However, be at ease.

A fun plan has been prepared just for you. I’m waiting at the Central Computer.
As you can see, in the Japanese version, he more or less name-drops the stage he's waiting at.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Oh my god, raocow

Centipede man teleports between the 4 corners of the room. The silk gun explodes in an X pattern. You could have literally just stood in the middle center of the room and aimed left and right. If he's in the top left corner, shoot right. If he's in the top right corner, shoot left. It looked like you almost figured this out and were trying this at the beginning of the fight but then you just forgot I guess.

I've beaten this game 1 time that I remember a long time ago and don't remember any boss weaknesses, and even I figured this out intuitively when the fight started

I don't understand how you've ever beaten a video game before
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoOh my god, raocow

Centipede man teleports between the 4 corners of the room. The silk gun explodes in an X pattern. You could have literally just stood in the middle center of the room and aimed left and right. If he's in the top left corner, shoot right. If he's in the top right corner, shoot left. It looked like you almost figured this out and were trying this at the beginning of the fight but then you just forgot I guess.

I've beaten this game 1 time that I remember a long time ago and don't remember any boss weaknesses, and even I figured this out intuitively when the fight started

I don't understand how you've ever beaten a video game before
That's asking way too much though. Noticing it does that would require paying some amount of attention.
Joseph Staleknight

It's a good thing raocow passed his politeness exams. Otherwise, he'd have to be unborn over and over again.

Anyway, I likely won't be able to watch the finale tomorrow since I'm headed for a family vacation at a beach house with poor WiFi. Still, looking forward to that episode when I get back! NVM, decided to stay home because of said WiFi issues at the beach house. Can't wait for the finale!
Last edited by Joseph Staleknight 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

In yesterday's news, I always found it rather disappointing that Agile, despite being by far the coolest and most powerful of the X hunters the first time around, inexplicably transforms into a head embedded in to a tube which actually ends up making him easier. It just seems a cruel joke.

In today's news, I agree that using boss weaknesses (especially the first time around) generally makes bosses in to non-bosses, here and in Mega Men in general. I especially never understood the idea of looking up the weaknesses first, as this removes the one element of fun (i.e. experimentation) this approach could provide, and also tends to provide a weird stage difficulty order, all in favor of experiencing less of what the game has to provide. But then again, maybe some players really like mugging dudes.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to first time Megaman experiences, so I'm in agreement about it being unsporting to look up weaknesses; however, I can understand someone doing this in the latter Megaman titles when Capcom got lazy and started giving bosses a single weakness rather than the secondary and even tertiary weaknesses we saw in the first several titles. Having essentially a 1/8 chance of choosing correctly every time you go to a new stage for the very first time isn't that fun if you keep getting it wrong or just can't follow the at times inexplicable logic of the weakness order (such as Pirateman being weak to Burnerman in MM&B).
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

probably too late, but just an FYI to raocow there's an MSU-1 patch for the SNES MMX games, including X3, if you're inclined.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

"Zero... Do you remember me?"
"Yeah...I guess so... Sorry to cause you so much trouble."
*conversation proceeds as if Zero understands everything completely*

Something about Zero's response to a question like "Do you remember me?" being "Yeah...I guess so..." bothers me, for some reason. Is it phrased like that in the Japanese script?
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I can't confirm anything behind the scenes or in the Japanese version, but I'll just say that Zero is complicated. This game presents the first tiny sparks of his backstory, but that backstory isn't going to come at us full throttle until X4, which I'm sure raocow won't be playing anytime soon. It was like a years-in-advance teaser back then.

Well, that sure was a playthrough. Thanks for showing off the Silk Shot room, cowrao! Looking forward to X3, which I know far less about, if you're indeed moving on to that immediately.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Blue

Post by Blue »

yaaaaaay thanks raocow you're the best
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago [...] which I'm sure raocow won't be playing anytime soon. It was like a years-in-advance teaser back then.
Why? I'd be ok with him playing through the entire Mega Man X series straight.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years agoWhy? I'd be ok with him playing through the entire Mega Man X series straight.
I think he said he'd only be playing the SNES ones. I agree though. I'd be interested in seeing them, especially as someone who's only played the PSP version of Maverick Hunters X. (And I'm apparently somewhat familiar with this one because I've seen the ostrich before. Dunno why I'm familiar with that specific boss though...)
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago I can't confirm anything behind the scenes or in the Japanese version, but I'll just say that Zero is complicated. This game presents the first tiny sparks of his backstory, but that backstory isn't going to come at us full throttle until X4, which I'm sure raocow won't be playing anytime soon. It was like a years-in-advance teaser back then.
Oh, I'm aware of Zero's backstory (what little we're actually told) and his relation to [redacted]. I've played X1-X6, and the first three Zero games (though its been a while). I just forgot that particular line on this story path, and thought it was a little weirdly phrased.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago Oh, I'm aware of Zero's backstory (what little we're actually told) and his relation to [redacted]. I've played X1-X6, and the first three Zero games (though its been a while). I just forgot that particular line on this story path, and thought it was a little weirdly phrased.
Ah, okay. I brought up the backstory because

I felt that Zero's behavior in the bad, non-canon end path of MMX2 is an indicator of his relationship to the maverick virus, which no one has realized IS a virus quite yet. Maybe what Sigma says on the true ending path about Zero's true allegiance is an indicator of Sigma's trying and ultimately failing to permanently set Zero back on that path in the bad ending, as well

Of course, Megaman games don't exactly have the best writing or consistency, so it's likely just an excuse for a heel-face turn instead of my little impromptu fan theory there.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Zero's attacks all depend on your proximity to him. If you're on the wall, he dashes and does that ground pound rock move. Far away, he'll go for the triple shot thing. A little closer, and you can just hop in place and hit him with charge shots while he shoots at you regularly. I think he slices you if you're right next to him. Bam. That's it. Tough since he's fast, but once you learn how he works, you've got it. And finally, yeah, you go up and over Sigma's wireframe head in that last phase.

Okay. That's the best one of the SNES trilogy down. Now for the one where they put so much in, they had to take out a lot of the bosses' AI.
Joseph Staleknight

That last episode of X2 was a thing, all right. For one thing, I'm certain this is the only game that has Sigma hiding out in a previous Maverick's stage. That was a strange development decision, since X1 shows that he could easily make his own fortress. Ah well, at least we only had one more stage rather than several. (Looking at you, Wily...)

Anyway, good luck on X3, raocow!
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago
Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago [...] which I'm sure raocow won't be playing anytime soon. It was like a years-in-advance teaser back then.
Why? I'd be ok with him playing through the entire Mega Man X series straight.
The games go into a freefall of utter garbage starting with 5.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I found the barely-trying-to-avoid-damage-a-lot-of-the-time-because-of-sub-tanks in this episode amusing.

On a darker, absolutely more serious note, which governments have made X3 illegal? Is it safe to watch tomorrow's video out in the open in Japan or should I follow the advice and watch under my blankets to be safe? Definitely don't want those helicopters to catch me.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Mega Man XXX :oops:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where The Police Are After Us

Post by Truhan »

Zero's icon is actually a yellow X within a Z.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

so wait how many of these is he gonna play because i was kinda looking forward to seeing the next patapon sometime soon :lol:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

last one planned for now
the chillaxest of dragonsImage