(shouting)

Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
morsel/morceau

Re: Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

Post by morsel/morceau »

I think the Clock Tower had the first cape in the game. Speaking of which, obviously raocow's litany of choice this series will be on power-up distribution. If you look at SMW, there may be surprisingly few power-ups. And if you ignore those from switch blocks, there will often only be one per half-level and that not 'free' at the beginning. Therefore Luigi's Adventure, as a Where's-my-hit? romhack, cannot be said to be in the wrong. Actually, I find it pretty interesting having to explore the levels to get the chances that you need (and reminiscent of SMB3, which also likes to hide its power-ups in a way that never becomes exactly typical).
dont wanna jihad no more
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago I think the Clock Tower had the first cape in the game.
Actually, there's one in the Tower of Doll back in world 3 (it's in that one question block that raocow surmised needs to be hit with a throw block at the end of the level).

This isn't really a finger-wagging correction; I literally came here just to say that cape feathers do exist in this hack before I read your comment.

I'm kind of surprised that the world map oversight there at the end was never corrected.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

So have there been any levels yet with really substantive changes from their original incarnation?
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago So have there been any levels yet with really substantive changes from their original incarnation?
The world 4 fortress (Basil Warehouse) is an entirely different level from the original. The original is pure hell. Good riddance. You can check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l5q_18S3m4

Two of the switch palaces are completely different, and what was the Red Switch Palace in the original game is now the Green Switch Palace in OSE. The red, blue, and green switch palaces in the original are all actual (though short) levels with very real death and game over possibilities.

Other than that, assuming my memory of the original is intact, all the other changes so far have been subtle ones throughout, such as introduced midpoints, removal of one or two sprites here and there, replacement of things like Pitchin' and Puntin' Chucks with custom sprites, and possibly more power-ups. Cape feathers are here now, too!
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

So what's all y'all experiences with hacks beyond LA1/LA1OSE? Also please specify if original LA was 2004 or 2009 annual update.

I've beaten:
Mario X World: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SER, and Deluxe
Luigi's Adventure 1OSE, 2 long demo, 3OSE, 4

Stuck in:
Mario X World 4th (some stupid ghost house in Bowser world)
MXW BSB (the forest special level with the spring board glitch in spammy land)

Used statesave in :'(:
3rd Edition bunch of levels in the final world
SER ghost shit level
LA2 some level I forget
LA3OSE last special level
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Not that much Anikiti for me actually:

LA1 original
LA2 long demo
LA3
LA1 OSE
LA1 The lost levels

No tools (but I used them a few times originally for practice in LA1 and LA1 TLL)
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I've beaten LA1, LA2, LA3, LA4, BSB, SER, Deluxe, and LA1 OSE. I used to be a lot more lax with the save states than I know a lot of people would like to admit, but as I've gotten better over the years, I've eased up on them significantly. In fact, I'd say Anikiti's hacks were the catalyst that pushed my personal boundary on what it meant to be "good" at SMW. I feel like I owe them, somehow. :lol:
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

I've beaten LAOSE and LA3OSE with tools years ago. I'm currently replaying LAOSE alongside of raocow though (without tools, obviously).
Btw, I know Luigi's Adventure 2 never got finished, but did Luigi's Adventure 4 get finished? I've only seen the demo on SMWC and xarea...
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Na LA4 and MXW5th are still unfinished. Hopefully maybe MXW5th one day but LA2 and 4 are dead af. I don't even remember LA4, I'm guessing it was just levels from other hacks so not a big loss at all.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

So when I posted about the switch palaces earlier, I had kind of forgotten that the OSE Blue Switch Palace is an edited version of the original. Whoops! Before, it had a Lakitu (!) and a surprise Charlie at the end of the koopa hop sequence.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

The cruel wood jumps in today's final level are actually quite scary if you don't have a cape.
Of course, in the original LA there are no capes, and there are also some setups involving the side-bouncy blocks that were removed in OSE.
It's interesting that he made that element of the level easier while keeping some other elements, like having to retain your fire flower. I wonder how Anikiti went about when deciding what to nerf and what not to nerf for the OSE version.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

also.png
also.png (36.62 KiB) Viewed 6155 times
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

If he was playing the original, I think this would've been the first point where he might've given up a tool-less run. Simply put, the tower in the original is insane. It involves those platforms which Boos pop out of, only it's SUPER precise. Unless you're a surgeon, it's complete hell. Basically you have to climb the tower, get the key, and climb back down, all while trying to not land on Boos. Only 1 powerup, and no midpoint. Have fun.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Zach808 wrote: 6 years ago If he was playing the original, I think this would've been the first point where he might've given up a tool-less run. Simply put, the tower in the original is insane. It involves those platforms which Boos pop out of, only it's SUPER precise. Unless you're a surgeon, it's complete hell. Basically you have to climb the tower, get the key, and climb back down, all while trying to not land on Boos. Only 1 powerup, and no midpoint. Have fun.
Hmm, I don't know, I always found 4-fortress to be slightly worse then the tower, but maybe it's just because I hate the updraft blocks so much. Regardless, I still think he'd have been fine until 8-secret or 8-castle. But starting there his patience would really have been pushed to its limits. 8-secret might have been fine because at least the iteration time is short, but having to redo half of 8-castle every time you mess up the falling goomba jump section at the end is rough.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I'm afraid raocow's right about the secret exit there: you do have to bring in a cape feather from another level. At least it's not a REQUIRED secret exit, but you have to wonder what the thought process behind it is given the rarity of the cape feather thus far in the hack making it extremely unlikely for a regular player to still have one at this point without save states.

This level's also completely different from the original. The original requires you to keep a fire flower to get through ice block-filled shafts at many points throughout while trying not to release mega moles upon your head as you ascend/descend. Much like the new version, however, you also need to make it to the very end with your power-up intact for the secret exit.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

It's not really fair to complain about slowdown with these older hacks. For one thing, if you use zsnes, the remedy is in your hands. For another, emulators (and which ones it is considered reasonable to test with) change over time but the hack remains the same, so slowdown and other problems can suddenly become manifest and the hack appear 'broken' or untested to the uninformed.
dont wanna jihad no more
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

In ZSNES, per2exec=150 can be used.

The slowdown is mostly caused by not using FastROM (patch didn't exist back then) and old BlockTool which is really poorly optimized (short version, each time a behaviour of a block needed to be checked, it kept asking questions like "is it block 30E", "is it block 30F", "is it block 310", so it's going to be really slow with bigger number of blocks, it's even worse in Layer 2 levels).
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

I guess if there's any video that shows how much of a 2000s relic this hack is, it's this one. Did people really care all that much about annoying secret exits at the end of levels, or all the slowdown back in 2007-2008? I know that they're all pretty much prohibited in hacks nowadays?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I'm not really sure why raocow would think that the edges of those snow tiles would be solid. I can't think of any hack they've been used in where they were solid and they most certainly weren't in the game they come from. (Which he's played several romhacks of as well...)
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

in canada snow is solid
Mosts Awards:
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

I wonder how well the Dill Sunkenpalace would go with the Pepperoni Secret.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Is World 8 the last one, or is there a postgame?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Giik

Post by Giik »

Lemme just say I agree with raocow, post-post-apocalypse settings are kickass and I wanna see more of them
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago Is World 8 the last one, or is there a postgame?
That's a negative on both fronts. World 9's the last world and the postgame is on a separate ROM.