(shouting)

Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mineyl

Re: Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

Post by Mineyl »

Congratulations on making it through Anikiti Airship Hell™, raocow! You must be overjoyed!

One of the reasons SMB3's music loops so quickly is because SMB3's levels are actually really damn short. They lack midpoints and are very often only about 10-12 screens long, and the airships are even shorter to account for the slow-paced autoscrolling. For reference, the length of standard Nintendo SMW levels is about 20 screens (surprisingly, Anikiti's level lengths often obey this standard, but the difficulty skews perception and the levels that go beyond the standard tend to go WAY beyond it) and there are plenty of level designers who make them a good 1.5 to 2 times as long as that, so music looping presents a unique issue in the world of ROM hacking.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I hope you liked Tubular.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Today's level song was brought to you by Touhou 5! Last Judgment, I believe it's called.

So, fun little trivia: a long time ago, like...even before OSE came out, I read that you can apparently choose the EXACT FRAMES those custom muncher and flamethrower blocks hurt you on, so Anikiti was just being a real meanie when he implemented those. :lol:
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

It's levels like these where I have to question Anikitti's design choices. If the sprites glitch out, don't use them like that. Looking at you, side by side switch blocks.

That said... I have to give credit where it's due. He actually made the thwomp boss bearable by putting a platform there to throw bob-ombs onto and trap the thwomp. Such a simple fix that more hacks need if they want to use this awful boss.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Zach808 wrote: 6 years agoIt's levels like these where I have to question Anikitti's design choices. If the sprites glitch out, don't use them like that. Looking at you, side by side switch blocks.
I'm not defending the design decision but it's not really a glitch. Technically those blocks are performing exactly as expected. It just has an annoying result. The SMW devs (or anyone who wants to create a custom block for the switches) could have added in some sort of sanitation check to prevent hitting the switch multiple times in too short a time period but since the blocks were never actually designed to be placed so closely together like that it results in quirky behavior when they actually are placed right next to each other. It's definitely an issue with the level designer's choice in designs though. A level like that would be far better suited to more strategically placed switch blocks instead of just spamming them everywhere.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

While Annex of Castle follows the same basic structure of the original, the inner dynamics of it were changed substantially. The first part used a special current different and much stronger from the current seen in OSE. The vertical pieces of current hamper jumps significantly, by which I mean otherwise simple jumps demand several orders of magnitude more precision. Combine this with much more precarious jumps and a lot more munchers of both varieties in general and it's a recipe for frustration that warranted the changes it received.

In the second half, there is no bridge section and subsequent boss. Instead, we have a small section of note blocks with Pitchin' Chucks and lava lotuses before the balloon section, and in the balloon section, you need to have actually kept a power-up from earlier in the level and time a spin-jump on turn blocks so that you break through AND THEN grab a p-balloon that's floating away, all while, of course, dodging a harassing lava lotus directly to the left of you (remember: no capes in the original, so the "convenient" paratroopa is your only reasonable way to destroy it!). Oh yeah, and there's a bullet bill generator. Y'know, because why not?

TOMORROW: a level that had no midpoint in the original and was almost as long as it is in OSE!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago TOMORROW: a level that had no midpoint in the original and was almost as long as it is in OSE!
ooof really? wow
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago
Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago TOMORROW: a level that had no midpoint in the original and was almost as long as it is in OSE!
ooof really? wow
I figured you might be interested in comparing to the original final level so here is my winning run from 7 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Zefu8BG5k&t=1s

Sorry that the recording is kinda garbage. I remember this taking me well over 20 hours back in the day.

Also, there's absolutely no way you're beating LA:TLL on 1 life. Frankly, if you're not willing to savestate between levels, you shouldn't even bother (Unless there's an efficient was to farm 1ups I'm not aware of, but I couldn't find any)
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

You don't have to beat TLL with one life as there is a life farm in the first level

(collect a mushroom and a shell and dance in the water).

But I don't know if it's a good idea for raocow to play this hack. It would go similarly to Hyper V special world.
dont wanna jihad no more
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I really enjoyed this series. I think raocow has gotten much more patient even in the recent years.
I hope Vip4 is coming sometime soon, cause that'll be one I'd love to see finally done toolless.

Code: Select all

a t   l a s t   i   c a n
s l e e p   i n   t h i s .

i   t h o u g h t   s o .
Alice

Post by Alice »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years agoIt would go similarly to Hyper V special world.
He should lp that one too.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago You don't have to beat TLL with one life as there is a life farm in the first level

(collect a mushroom and a shell and dance in the water).

But I don't know if it's a good idea for raocow to play this hack. It would go similarly to Hyper V special world.
Man, I feel foolish now.

But I also think LA:TLL is probably a bad idea. It's just too hard compared to what raocow likes to play usually, and I'd argue that even if he did want to play something of that difficulty level, there's better options.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Well that was a fun, enjoyable LP for me to come back into watching raocow regularly on.

Not gonna' give an exhaustive list of changes between the old and new Bowser's Castle, but in addition to the fact that the old one has no midpoint, one of the most significant differences is that hallway with the boo cloud: not only is the boo cloud there in the original and the eeries are harder-to-see medusa heads, but the stretch blocks are fully-functional, as well (or at least as functional as they can be when you realize they're just graphic swaps of the in-and-out munchers we've gotten accustomed to). Whatever slowness was perceived on raocow's end would've been way, WAY worse along with the additional stress of no midpoint. Yikes!
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

31 episodes to beat OSE without savestates versus 43 to beat the original version with savestates. Not bad.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago I really enjoyed this series. I think raocow has gotten much more patient even in the recent years.
I hope Vip4 is coming sometime soon, cause that'll be one I'd love to see finally done toolless.

I doubt he would, seeing as he tried it without tools already and it went badly. The endgame is also ridiculous, and would push him past his limits.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

That last level just made me want to play Aria of Sorrow again.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Zach808 wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years ago I really enjoyed this series. I think raocow has gotten much more patient even in the recent years.

I doubt he would, seeing as he tried it without tools already and it went badly. The endgame is also ridiculous, and would push him past his limits.
Like I said, he's gotten much more patient since then.
Also I totally disagree that it's worse than these other games he's beaten savestateless recently. MoltovMarioWorld has a (mostly) toolless LP of Vip4 (just put savestates after loading checkpoints so he didn't have to grind lives) and I've done the same thing and I don't consider myself any better than raocow. raocow could totally do Vip4 toolless, he just gave up too early last time.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago

Like I said, he's gotten much more patient since then.
Also I totally disagree that it's worse than these other games he's beaten savestateless recently. MoltovMarioWorld has a (mostly) toolless LP of Vip4 (just put savestates after loading checkpoints so he didn't have to grind lives) and I've done the same thing and I don't consider myself any better than raocow. raocow could totally do Vip4 toolless, he just gave up too early last time.
I'm still not sure, especially considering that I think this is the first VIP to use the dragon coin counter. So that means he has to go through Thorn Thorn Labyrinth the hard way. Yay! :D
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Dragon coins aren't important, I don't recall them unlocking anything
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoDragon coins aren't important, I don't recall them unlocking anything
Yeah but the last few SMW lps raocow has directly addressed the fact that he feels obligated to collect them if there's a counter for them.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years agoDragon coins aren't important, I don't recall them unlocking anything
Yeah but the last few SMW lps raocow has directly addressed the fact that he feels obligated to collect them if there's a counter for them.
Right, but he could always just... not do that.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

but then the spot is empty!!!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

raocow has gotten better playing Super Mario World.

The level which broke him, Absurd Athletic actually had a sequel in VIP5, and he was able to deal with it. VIP4 version had easier patterns than VIP5 version of a level.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago

raocow has gotten better playing Super Mario World.

The level which broke him, Absurd Athletic actually had a sequel in VIP5, and he was able to deal with it. VIP4 version had easier patterns than VIP5 version of a level.
Technically, the level that broke him was Thorn Thorn Labyrinth, though he didn't officially quit until Absurd Athletic. In the redo, if he decides to go for dragon coins, it's gonna be WAY worse. The jumps to get that last coin are absolutely insane.