(shouting)

Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Giik wrote: 6 years ago Lemme just say I agree with raocow, post-post-apocalypse settings are kickass and I wanna see more of them

cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago
Grounder wrote: 6 years ago Is World 8 the last one, or is there a postgame?
That's a negative on both fronts. World 9's the last world and the postgame is on a separate ROM.
Also, since there's no OSE version of the postgame, its difficulty is much more in line with the original Luigi's adventure. It's very hard and I'm not sure raocow would enjoy it at all, especially given the need for daily videos.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

raocow has been looking forward to an appalling maze level since pipe world started. Is he about to find it?
dont wanna jihad no more
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I think the spikes in that YI cave set are so hard to notice because of the thick outlines, unremarkable colors, and every other thing in both the foreground and background having a jagged/spiky shape. Spikes in official Mario games are nearly always very distinct, whether it's the animated drill spikes in SMB2, munchers, or the weird bloated destructible blue spikes in Yoshi's Island proper. It's a stark contrast to expectations set by the series, in other words!

And yeah, you haven't missed anything. The GSP is coming up real soon.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

The fact raocow is playing without savestates (unlike the original Luigi's Adventure LP) and we're still getting three level videos this late in the game is, I think, a testament to both how much easier/more fair OSE is compared to the original, and how much raocow's SMW skills have improved since, like, 2008.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago The fact raocow is playing without savestates (unlike the original Luigi's Adventure LP) and we're still getting three level videos this late in the game is, I think, a testament to both how much easier/more fair OSE is compared to the original, and how much raocow's SMW skills have improved since, like, 2008.
Changing two variables isn't good science. But yeah, both are big contributors
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

If you use sumo flames, you have to set a special sprite memory that limits the number of sprites. Now, the unignited sumo flame is a permanent sprite and will even stay in memory if it drops down a pit. Additionally, it can lose interaction with ground (and hence not ignite and fall down a pit instead) when the game freezes (e.g. by changing power-up status), and so fill up the available sprite slots. I wonder if something along these lines was happening here. (The ignited flame, of course, is also hilariously buggy: warping other sprites, the safe-while-small-but-not-when-big-and-ducking bug, the displaced hitbox.)
dont wanna jihad no more
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Aconite Seclet 1 is the "ring of fire" level you were thinking of, dear raocow. I know the replacement probably came as a relief, in spite of all the deaths and little aggravations from the middle onward, but I personally thought the "ring of fire" was one of the original game's neater levels; a muncher run dialed up to 11 on video game steroids.

While the Green Switch Palace is a "real level," it's also short and exponentially easier than the original version if you bring a cape.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm on holiday rn and only have my phone so updates to the OP might be sporadic or nonexistent. I haven't forgotten it though.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I'm starting to recognize the way the levels are designed in this game. You can definitely see some patterns in the style.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

The music in the last level sounded like someone having a seizure while playing the xylophone.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

More *exciting* trivia about the original world 8 castle: the two paths were originally flipped (meaning you need all four switches to access the invisible floor path). The "secret" path raocow played today closely resembles its original incarnation (just with more custom sprites instead of sparkies), but the invisible floor path was very different: not only is the floor completely invisible in the original with no way to directly see it, your only means of getting through the room is an off-screen Lakitu over your head harassing you and you have to hope he throws spinies on the paths you can't see so you can suss out where they are. Lakitu being off-screen also means that it's nearly impossible (if not actually impossible) to nuke him with a fireball and steal his cloud car. What a jerk!

Oh, and the shenanigans don't stop there. The original actually requires you to have the Yellow Switch Palace pressed if you get to the part where raocow surmised you needed to shell jump in order to get a power-up, assuming you don't go back to a previous level to get a power-up every single time you fail. Luckily, raocow managed to make it to the second "you need a power-up to proceed" while super on his dry run and he didn't have to experience the horror of the dreaded mushroom bounce puzzle, which was left mostly intact from its original incarnation (and also -still- requires the Yellow Switch).

Finally, there's a section at the end where you have to maneuver between lava on the floor and ceiling while "koopa hopping" on goombas exploding out of blocks! Whew!
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Those dolphin jumps look quite uncomfortable. I probably would have died a lot more.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

The Catacomb's a heck of a lot easier with a cape, but raocow goes oldschool mode and proves that you don't need one.

So the first level of today's video is the only one that's significantly different from the original. It was a forced power-up filter + mushroom bounce section akin to that one secret exit in Rise to the Challenge (you know which one I'm talking about). You can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_pRJcR65ns

So yeah. From now on, expect levels to be a good 2-3x longer than the average level we've seen from this hack thus far. This coupled with deaths coupled with the imposed bosses at the end of every stage is sure to change the outlook on the rest of the game just a bit!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

big boo boss didnt look fun and i dont think its just rao playing making it that way
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

The title is in all caps? Man, even raocow is succumbing to clickbait titles nowadays. :cry:
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Well, it took 25 episodes, but there's the first one-level video of the series. Gonna guess the next one probably will be too just by virtue of having an endgame red level.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Worst time? I predict it's gonna be airship. This is level is as much of hell as you can get without including homing Bullet Bills.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years agoWorst time? I predict it's gonna be airship. This is level is as much of hell as you can get without including homing Bullet Bills.
So ice, invisible wind, and one-tile jumps?
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
GlitchMr wrote: 6 years agoWorst time? I predict it's gonna be airship. This is level is as much of hell as you can get without including homing Bullet Bills.
So ice, invisible wind, and one-tile jumps?
No, even worse. Crossfire bullets in an extremely tight level with over-sensitive flame sprites and parachuting enemies. And also, explosions everywhere. No checkpoint either. It might just be as hard as the homing bullet airship in Vip2.

At least in the original. Not sure about here. Also, if the red level isn't completely scrapped, it's gonna be the hardest, most broken thing in this hack BY FAR.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Zach808 wrote: 6 years agoCrossfire bullets
That one part was removed, it was replaced with diagonal Bullet Bill shooter sprites. Also, a custom boss was added (and still no Midway Point).
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

For what it's worth, the airship has three power-ups now instead of one as well, some of the terrain was subtly changed around to make a few jumps easier, a few flame shooters were removed, and there are sniffits in addition to the diagonal shooters.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago and there are sniffits in addition to the diagonal shooters.
gud addition 2 maek gam ezer
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago gud addition 2 maek gam ezer
liek ya rly

Yeah, there are actually more sprites to deal with overall, but the diagonal bullet bill generator that permeated the entire level is gone, so that generator-based difficulty that people often complain about is missing.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago
Grounder wrote: 6 years ago gud addition 2 maek gam ezer
liek ya rly

Yeah, there are actually more sprites to deal with overall, but the diagonal bullet bill generator that permeated the entire level is gone, so that generator-based difficulty that people often complain about is missing.
I don't mind that kind of generator. Sure, it's a pain to deal with, but it's predictable in that the bullets always appear at the same time and place. I have much more issue with the single random horizontal shooter if used badly. The old airship was hard as hell, but I wouldn't call it bad, at least for a Kaizo level.