(shouting)

Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Lᴜɪɢɪ's Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

Post by Mata Hari »

This time I will put links to each day's videos in the OP because there are certain levels of professionalism I have failed to meet previously. Cheers.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago This time I will put links to each day's videos in the OP because there are certain levels of professionalism I have failed to meet previously. Cheers.
It's more of an archiving purpose that we do this for people who want to see old stuff all in one post and thread (and that raocow doesn't put things into playlists anymore).
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I don't know where raocow got the idea to play a challenge hack with nonsensical message boxes. Anyway, this hack has A+++ design. You can see immediately the fire flower is not trivializing the level as in much of RttC because there is actually platforming instead of "just monster along the way". I also think the OSE is a great improvement for the most part (e.g. that World 4 fortress is not awkwardly difficult and sort of broken). I was thinking of playing it again myself and now I have a good excuse :D .
dont wanna jihad no more
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years ago
Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago This time I will put links to each day's videos in the OP because there are certain levels of professionalism I have failed to meet previously. Cheers.
It's more of an archiving purpose that we do this for people who want to see old stuff all in one post and thread (and that raocow doesn't put things into playlists anymore).
I didn't realize he ever did
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Normally I would rant about the game, but raocow knows exactly what to expect here and I will laugh at him for doing this to himself.
video games
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I'm not sure what to expect from this hack. I'm not sure if it will be hard and terrible or hard and fun.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I thought raocow had sworn off ever doing anything Luigi's Adventure- (or Anikiti-)related again after the original Luigi's Adventure LP.

Clearly I need to get out of MAGLX2 hell and actually catch up on recent videos.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago I'm not sure what to expect from this hack. I'm not sure if it will be hard and terrible or hard and fun.
if it helps, here's raocow's LP of the original LA

and here's aterraformer LPing LA OSE
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Oh raocow, you poor soul. I wish you well.

Just a little note of my own experience, having played both versions of LA to completion: the first eight worlds are, for the most part, slightly adjusted to be easier than in the original game. A couple of levels, such as the aforementioned fortress in world 4, are completely changed (because, let's face it, no matter how good you are, the world 4 fortress in the original game is complete and utter *bullshit*). The biggest number of significant changes will come at you in the final world, and overall, the finale may or may not be harder than the original game, depending on your tastes. Like...the two big problem levels from the original were either completely replaced or significantly toned down, but the rest of the world is arguably as hard or harder than before.

Well, good luck!

I'm going to sit over here being amused at the coincidence of raocow back-to-back LPing both of the only two SMW hacks that I uploaded videos of when I cared to do such things.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I wonder if you are going to play postgame, considering it's technically in a separate ROM (but clearly postgame of Luigi's Adventure OSE, as it requires completion of it, like B-Side in A2MT).
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Geez, I think I remember playing this when it was new. Pretty sure I gave up around world 4 or 5.

Gonna be interesting to watch.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

The "post-game" is mostly removed levels from the original LA given the OSE treatment. It's a pretty neat concept but definitely kaizoy. It's funny because it starts you off with 1 life but you can farm in the first section of the first level, laundromat style. It would be really cool but I would understand if raocow doesn't wanna play it. I never got around to it myself. I think level 2 is guidedammit level too lol.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

aterraformer wrote: 6 years ago It's funny because it starts you off with 1 life but you can farm in the first section of the first level, laundromat style.
Just like in SMB 2 Japanese, where World 9 starts you with 1 life, but you can get more. Clever reference.

(although, in SMB 2 Japanese, World 9 was intentionally really easy to balance having 1 life and no continues)
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

There is no way in hell he's beating this savestateless. Even if he makes it through most of the game, the last castle is IMPOSSIBLE. Might be even harder than Bowser's Starship in The Second Reality Project. I'm predicting heavy savestate abuse by world... 5 maybe?
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Zach808 wrote: 6 years ago There is no way in hell he's beating this savestateless. Even if he makes it through most of the game, the last castle is IMPOSSIBLE. Might be even harder than Bowser's Starship in The Second Reality Project. I'm predicting heavy savestate abuse by world... 5 maybe?
Impossible is a very strong word, you know.

Here's me beating the original LA final castle with no tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Zefu8BG5k

And here's aterraformer beating the OSE version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMAJ0nGJp4

Having said that, I certainly think raocow has enough skill for LA OSE (especially after seeing how convincingly he got through RttC). If he savestates, it's gonna be due to lack of patience or recording time.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

cozyduck wrote: 6 years ago
Zach808 wrote: 6 years ago There is no way in hell he's beating this savestateless. Even if he makes it through most of the game, the last castle is IMPOSSIBLE. Might be even harder than Bowser's Starship in The Second Reality Project. I'm predicting heavy savestate abuse by world... 5 maybe?
Impossible is a very strong word, you know.

Here's me beating the original LA final castle with no tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Zefu8BG5k

And here's aterraformer beating the OSE version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMAJ0nGJp4

Having said that, I certainly think raocow has enough skill for LA OSE (especially after seeing how convincingly he got through RttC). If he savestates, it's gonna be due to lack of patience or recording time.
Oh, the OSE version has a midpoint. I guess that makes it somewhat doable, then. Not sure how that translates into LP difficulty, but it's a huge improvement.

Btw, how many years did it take to beat the original version? I've been trying since 2013 and have not gotten remotely close.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Zach808 wrote: 6 years ago
Oh, the OSE version has a midpoint. I guess that makes it somewhat doable, then. Not sure how that translates into LP difficulty, but it's a huge improvement.

Btw, how many years did it take to beat the original version? I've been trying since 2013 and have not gotten remotely close.
Well, I remember giving up on it at first and then going back to it a year later once I had improved a bit. I didn't time myself back then but I'm pretty sure it took me over 20 hours to do (spread out over a month of playing). Full disclosure: I did use tools to practice some sections beforehand.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I can climb it if I get it with a ladder after having thrown a thing to the top with having had a thing.

You may learn it.
video games
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I'm so nostalgic about this game as Luigi's Adventure was the first hack I played*. That part in yesterday's video where you had to break a block with a goomba to get a springboard stumped me for a good ten minutes (probably because in Mario 3 you can't throw items upwards -- the preconceived idea), and when I played the OSE, I expected the near-by message box to explain this oddity. Instead, I was told I may learn that I could defeat the enemy that glide in the slope.

*I was the QubicTom or ryukahr of my day. I knew nothing of other romhacks. I didn't even know how to savestate. I must have game-overed a dozen times on that world 4 fortress with those awful up-draft blocks. But somehow I eventually beat the game. I didn't play another hack for a year. Then I saw raocow playing Super Challenge World and saveloading every few seconds while trying to take Yoshi together with a shell through a pipe. I felt like a savage coming upon what he thought was a god. O brave new world...
dont wanna jihad no more
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

"The Hot Seeds Of Jeremy Fawcett, The Worst Plant In The Universe" is the name of my next concept album, please do not steal
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Zach808 wrote: 6 years agoThere is no way in hell he's beating this savestateless. Even if he makes it through most of the game, the last castle is IMPOSSIBLE. Might be even harder than Bowser's Starship in The Second Reality Project. I'm predicting heavy savestate abuse by world... 5 maybe?
I've only watched the original lp of this once so I don't recall the vast majority of it but I doubt it's any more difficult than S. Mario was and raocow didn't use savestates on that one from what I recall.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago I doubt it's any more difficult than S. Mario
It is.

(OSE probably isn't though)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

tomorrow's video is a little bit more like people expected, except not that much

also I love the OP it got my vote for MOST BEST OP
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Zach808 wrote: 6 years agoThere is no way in hell he's beating this savestateless. Even if he makes it through most of the game, the last castle is IMPOSSIBLE. Might be even harder than Bowser's Starship in The Second Reality Project. I'm predicting heavy savestate abuse by world... 5 maybe?
I've only watched the original lp of this once so I don't recall the vast majority of it but I doubt it's any more difficult than S. Mario was and raocow didn't use savestates on that one from what I recall.
S. Mario? He used it in the last level IIRC.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB