(shouting)

Shovel Knight: Plauge/Shovel of Shadows/Hope - final - TVSVUEIO

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Good Knight OR A Bad Case of Loving You!

Post by raekuul »

PL&CIPH

For extra fun, give just one attempt at the Enchantress using Drop casing and Spark powder.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Plague Knight: Plague of Shadows

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

And so ends another tale of shovelbombery.

As far as my first playthough went, the Enchantress was the hardest part of the whole thing. Mostly because the floor is breakable and she's not afraid to exploit that fact. Once I got past that, though, the rest was a relative cakewalk. For Mr. Title Drop I

completely ignored him for 40 seconds, whereupon he complimented me and transitioned to the next part

. The Corrupted Essence, meanwhile, fell easily to Cluster Powder and Lob Casings to the mouth. I distinctly remember it as the one stage I didn't die in on that run.

Also, gotta say that when all is said and done Plague Knight knows how to make chemistry legit.

Now then, on to the challenges! I may not have beaten them all (nor do I intend to) but they should make for some nice entertainment after the main event.
Tenlade

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Good Knight OR A Bad Case of Loving You!

Post by Tenlade »

Somebody had zelda on the mind when recording this (though so have i, I've been watching speedgaming's randomizer tournaments since last week, fun stuff).

So yeah, plague Knight's campaign is fun, but a little bit easy considering how little invulnerability frames bosses have that they can be easily cheesed to death by bombspam. You can win a damage race with every boss in the game, and that's before factoring in leech liquid which turns it into a legitimate strategy. character wise though plague knight has the best cast, hands down.

and yeah the dancing sprites at the end is really nicely done, but in general the spritework gets more impressive with each campaign. A good example of this is to Compare the original sprites to their bodyswap counterparts, and I think Specter knight's campaign has some really great animations as well, something to look forward to.
Grounder

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - (Hold Attack) ↑↑←↑↑→↑↓↑ (Release Attack)

Post by Grounder »

Hey, raocow, are you planning to do the boss refight challenges or just the mini-stage ones?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I feel like I should do the refights, since they'll have conditions what with specific load-outs and whatnot.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Joseph Staleknight

Re: Plague Knight: Crucible of [the Vital] Vitriol

Oh yeah, these challenges. Their sheer difficulty is why I don't go out of my way to complete them all. I've only managed a few of them across all three playable characters so far.

Also, might as well go down the list of post titles I never got to use in the main campaign. I've got plenty to spare!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: 6 years agoOh yeah, these challenges. Their sheer difficulty is why I don't go out of my way to complete them all. I've only managed a few of them across all three playable characters so far.
In raocow's case it looks like he's totally capable of doing them. He just kinda screwed himself over by insisting on using the same equipment throughout the game. It's making these challenges more difficult than they really should be since Plague Knight handles totally different to what he's used to.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago In raocow's case it looks like he's totally capable of doing them. He just kinda screwed himself over by insisting on using the same equipment throughout the game. It's making these challenges more difficult than they really should be since Plague Knight handles totally different to what he's used to.
Yeah, not only did he use the Float Burst a lot (I did too), but he actively tried to avoid bomb bursting wherever possible. The challenges won't let him get away with that though.

There are a few challenges that are pretty tricky (like the last two he did), but I suspect raocow will breeze through a lot of them, especially with Shovel Knight. With a couple exceptions, the boss refights were pretty easy IMO.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Don't worry, the challenges are a crash course in git gud, i imagine by the time we get to the later challenges they wont seem as insanely difficult as this first video makes them look.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I kept wondering when this game was going to punish raocow for never bothering to use burst. It only happened once or twice in the main game. I feel like that last challenge could have been done really easily by using burst to flip the more awkward switches.

I imagine it must be extremely frustrating to be forced to use setups you've never seen before and work with rulesets you never learned. Guess that's raocow's karma for never switching around.
Grounder

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - PL&DNCE

Post by Grounder »

LOUD

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Silly old saltcow. :P These challenges feel intuitive and less ROMhacky if you've been bomb jumping all game.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago Silly old saltcow. :P These challenges feel intuitive and less ROMhacky if you've been bomb jumping all game.
Yeah, like everyone was all "Use the Float! It helps you correct midair!"

And I was thinking Yes, but he'll never learn how to control his Burst because he'll be able to just haphazardly rocket himself at a pit and correct himself mid air. And, well...today kind of shows the issue with that, I guess!

I swear half this forum wants raocow to have fun and enjoy himself and the other half will tell him the worst long term advice just to guarantee we get ragecow once in a while.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Joseph Staleknight

Re: Plague Knight: Ceration of TIn

Man, everything after the first challenge today was crazy. Not-Shivering Sprint I could reasonably do with the right timing, but those other challenges are pretty nasty. Especially that last one with the switches--I never got past the first switch puzzle since that pit would always get me.

Also, after Plague Knight's challenges is raocow going to do Shovel Knight's as well? The Blue Burrower's got his own trials and they're all just as hard.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Classtoise wrote: 6 years agoI swear half this forum wants raocow to have fun and enjoy himself and the other half will tell him the worst long term advice just to guarantee we get ragecow once in a while.
I can't speak for other games, but for Plague of Shadows in particular it's less "hey we're actively sabotaging raocow now so that we get ragecow later" and more "here's something that will help you through the game oh wait oh crap he's going to do the extra stuff."

The main problem with Float Burst is that you can't chain burst it, and the challenges expect you to be proficient with chain bursting. Since raocow was leaning on Float Burst the past week and a half, he never learned the timing for chain bursting (press the bomb button again just as you release your burst to start charging a new one - the closest Mario analogue is throwing a shell upwards and preparing to catch it on the way back down). There is no point in the main game where you're actually expected to chain burst (any instances in the main game where you should chain burst can be done less quickly with a mixture of Vat and unchained bursting) and raocow probably won't have the inclination to practice it off-screen so we get to watch him learn it.

As far as getting used to using stuff you're not used to, using the Pandamonium Garb is good for that except for it bypassing the powder limits (you get 3 of any powder, which makes fighting every boss except The Enchantress into even more of a bombspam damage race than it was before).
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Blue wrote: 6 years agoI imagine it must be extremely frustrating to be forced to use setups you've never seen before and work with rulesets you never learned. Guess that's raocow's karma for never switching around.
At least it's satisfying for someone like me who kept criticizing his insistence on not changing up how he played at all. Turns out it wasn't the best idea to do that and now it's coming back to bite him in the ass.

I actually don't usually find it all that entertaining to watch raocow struggle pointlessly over something that's only so hard because he made it hard on himself.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

On the other hand, I'm kind of laughing at some of these seeing as how raocow's always been this way. Kind of like having to relearn the game he just played now. You got me wanting to play this one now after seeing all the stuff they added to it. I've only played the original campaign so far.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago At least it's satisfying for someone like me who kept criticizing his insistence on not changing up how he played at all. Turns out it wasn't the best idea to do that and now it's coming back to bite him in the ass.

I actually don't usually find it all that entertaining to watch raocow struggle pointlessly over something that's only so hard because he made it hard on himself.

The only time that actually bothered me was during the specter knight refight when lob casing would have made it so easy but he just kept throwing in the exact wrong direction.

But yelling at the screen is one of my favorite parts of raocow LPs anyway
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Personally, I used Float Burst all game on my first playthrough, and it never came back to bite me in the butt. I think the main thing raocow is struggling with is figuring out how to combine/switch between throwing bombs and bursting efficiently (well, that and not realizing the burst has a hitbox), which is mostly because he avoided using any burst at all.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago Personally, I used Float Burst all game on my first playthrough, and it never came back to bite me in the butt. I think the main thing raocow is struggling with is figuring out how to combine/switch between throwing bombs and bursting efficiently (well, that and not realizing the burst has a hitbox), which is mostly because he avoided using any burst at all.
Did you go straight into challenge mode from that first playthrough?
Grounder

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - PL&JRJR

Post by Grounder »

Yousa might not like this code, Annie...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Challenges are there to challenge the player. I see they are doing their job pretty well.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

raekuul wrote: 6 years ago Did you go straight into challenge mode from that first playthrough?
Yes, at least with Plague Knight and Shovel Knight. I forgot about them entirely for a long while with Spectre Knight.

I like the setups they give you during these boss fights. Some at creatively evil, and some are creatively great.
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

this might be just me, but i found the boss refights to be easier than the standard challenges. except for Phantom Striker. that refight sucked.
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
Joseph Staleknight

Re: Plague Knight: Distillation of Soap

Funnily enough, I have beaten the King Knight refight as Plague Knight without much of a sweat. Probably because I aimed my bombs straight at him when he jumped instead of simply trying to catch him in the fire cascade.

For that matter, I recently beat him as Shovel Knight just by pogoing him to death with the occasional swipe. Yeah, King Knight's a wimp compared to the other bosses.