(shouting)

Shovel Knight: Plauge/Shovel of Shadows/Hope - final - TVSVUEIO

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - M-Warrior 1, M-Warrior 2, and Shapesnatch

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

No points for guessing which on refers to which place.

Yeah, Percy does a little gig when you have music sheets, but you aren't in a big rush to get them in, besides some funny love advice and more immediate money. Plague Knight has a ton of activities going on.

As for today... you found one of the major Cypher Coin sinks, but ends up being ultimately worth it, considering that's your avenue to armor and that Tonic bag upgrade, which both help.

Soldiers also seem to be shredded by Component Bombs, as do Reizen and Baz... I recall using Cluster Bombs for the latter, though your loadout has a chance of really dealing with him even better. As for Reizen... Component Bombs just shred that flame shield with good timing. I never thought that the lingering effect of the smaller bombs would be actually potent, but here we are; they are cool traps in the right situation.

You are also getting ridiculous mileage out of the Staff of Surging; those 30 I-frames are stupidly useful, as it turns out. I just pop Leech Liquid during the bosses, and go to town on them. It also helped reach those coins during the castle assault, though Big Boom helps take out paintings fast... I just like Black Powder to take out paintings.... simpler that way for speed's sake. You did a nice job with it, however, so it also works well.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Fortknight OR Travelers' Diarrhea!

Post by Classtoise »

You won't prefer the Staff for long. I promise you, the added control of landing, stopping, charging, and turning in one rest can be a lifesaver.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

A lot of people have said it in the YouTube comments already, but there is indeed a setting in the control options to be able to switch Arcana with L and R.
Stink Terios

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Cryptosporidiosis OR Knightilus!

Post by Stink Terios »

"I'm my hero, Shadow The Hedgehog!"

Too early! You aren't playing as Specter Knight yet!
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Aw yeah Treasure Butt's stage.
FourteenthOrder wrote:A lot of people have said it in the YouTube comments already, but there is indeed a setting in the control options to be able to switch Arcana with L and R.
What are the quick switch keys when you're playing using a keyboard?

There's a better case in the next batch of Mona upgrades for getting up close and personal with the enemies. Orbit is pretty good for it though.

Yeah, most of what you'll fish up is going to be elixirs. Occasionally you'll fish up a golden fish or music sheet, but most of it is elixirs.

Anglerfish is kind of very allergic to Lob Cluster.

Also I think this is the only stage where Chester moves but the Relic does not.

Mister Brad Now wrote:Whoa wait a second there's no ground there at all
Plague of Shadows in a nutshell.

That was a ridiculously fast Treasure Butt fight. I've done faster, but

not without the Pandamonium Cloak.

Please remember to talk to Baz first before... well, everyone except Mona.

Yeah Polar Butt would get pretty soggy down there. What with his fur coat and all. Really, drying furs is not fun.

Goo Garment is my second-favorite garb, especially when paired with a certain later burst. With that said, Ward Robe is still rather useful.

Also that music note is one I always miss. Blurf. The one kindness in Plague of Shadows as far as the million collectibles are concerned is that the music notes are in the same places as in Butt Butt's campaign.

On the plus side is that you can afford another armor now!
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Plague Knight: Multiplication of Platinum

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

I can't imagine that prolonged exposure to water would be good for those robes' integrity. At least PK remembered to waterproof his bombs. Wouldn't want a repeat of that incident.

Anyway, Iron Whale! Yeah, those last cipher coins are quite weird for how missable they are. I didn't get those on my first run too, what with not focusing on them until the final stage was open. Ah well, at least now I know for the next run. Also, way to flip off Treasure Knight the only way possible, PK.

As for the Troupple King's "armors"... let's just say he doesn't like Plague Knight's beak and leave it at that.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I imagine everybody forgets lots of obvious stuff, especially on the first playthrough of a game, but it can be hard to remember what you forget if it isn't being memorialized and broadcasted to thousands of people.

I like the Vat more than the Staff of Surging for those "oops, I'm falling down the hole now" situations. It combos well with Float Burst since it gets rid of its chief disadvantage where you can't recover with another burst. I pretty much had the Vat equipped at all times outside of boss fights from here forward.

I dunno about Float Casing. I preferred Lob Casing basically all the time.

I barely used the ice burst at all during my first playthrough.

Sometimes it would come up when I was using the Pandamonia Garb in NG+, and it was more effective against bosses than I expected. Especially against Polar Knight, ironically enough.

I like Short Fuse if I'm expecting to miss a lot with Black Powder bombs.
Classtoise

Post by Classtoise »

Lockirby2 wrote: 7 years ago I imagine everybody forgets lots of obvious stuff, especially on the first playthrough of a game, but it can be hard to remember what you forget if it isn't being memorialized and broadcasted to thousands of people.

I like the Vat more than the Staff of Surging for those "oops, I'm falling down the hole now" situations. It combos well with Float Burst since it gets rid of its chief disadvantage where you can't recover with another burst. I pretty much had the Vat equipped at all times outside of boss fights from here forward.

I dunno about Float Casing. I preferred Lob Casing basically all the time.

I barely used the ice burst at all during my first playthrough.

Sometimes it would come up when I was using the Pandamonia Garb in NG+, and it was more effective against bosses than I expected. Especially against Polar Knight, ironically enough.

I like Short Fuse if I'm expecting to miss a lot with Black Powder bombs.
The Vat is a pain in the ass at first before you realize that it costs a LOT more than you'd think and also it can't crush you which means it'll throw you inside of it (and thus OFF of it) if it conflicts even a hair. Honestly, I wish it'd correct itself downwards but that might've made it too "perfect" for an Arcana.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Lockirby2 wrote:I dunno about Float Casing. I preferred Lob Casing basically all the time.
The big thing about Float Casing that it has over Lob is that float can still hit what's right in front of you, while Lob can't.
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

I'm a little sad that the Dandy Duds weren't picked, but the Ward Robe is a really solid gameplay choice. It's the armor I took my first time playing Plague Man.

E: Oh my god. Ward Robe. Wardrobe.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

@Zinfandel: Ever been to the nation of Spare Oom?
Lockirby2

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Heat Stroke OR Knightingale Island!

Post by Lockirby2 »

@raekuul
I usually just switched to a different bomb if I realized that I needed to attack in front of me. I mostly used Lob Grenades for precision strikes on enemies above me, then switched back. But yeah, I see your point.

I really liked the Impact Fuse. I found that it was pretty common to want my bombs to blow up right when they hit anything.

The Cannonball Burst looks fun, but I never really used it much.

Orbit Casing + Component Bomb actually looks like a pretty interesting setup for Mole Knight. The lingering effects of the powder and the casing form something of a shield from his attacks.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

On today's episode raocow the pokemon learns the Vat ability, and having moves already, accidently overwrote knowing the burst jump skill. I am also in awe in how you somehow managed to avoid destroying the platforms out from under your feet with orbit bombs, I kept waiting for it to happen.

I love how they're not even subtly hiding what they copy from. float bombs are burst man's weapon from MM7, cannonball is samus's screw attack. and the boomerang bombs are ninja gaiden's whirlwind shurikens. Also I love you can literally *SMOKEBOMB* your way out of a dangerous situation.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Tenlade wrote: 7 years agoAlso I love you can literally *SMOKEBOMB* your way out of a dangerous situation.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Man-Eating Treasure Chest & Dissolverock

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Tiredness is not fun; I blame this for my late response for both days. Thankfully, this also means I can comment on the rao's performance for both days, which are related.

I am glad Plague Knight is channeling his inner Shadow the Hedgehorg right now. I wonder how he feels about the change in garments...?

I never really used Orbit Casing, though it seems like a really cool combination. Doesn't work too well with the Vat (besides blowing them up, which he has somehow *not* done yet), though I think that won't be an issue for now.

Even if I had to go through Treasure Knight's stage 5 times, I would still enjoy it. It's just such a good stage with such a nice boss, and has my favorite music in the game. Well, he's a mean boss, but you know what I mean. Seems like Orbit Casing is actually the ideal setup here...

...And raocow then indirectly proves that he is horrible at multitasking again. Float Burst coupled with those vats equals surviving nearly anything. Which is why they balanced it by making magic economy on them pretty bad. I only had trouble finding the coins behind the skeleton on my way through the Bottomless Quarry. He did make a point that going burstless is a possible thing in most stages, which is a scary thought. At least he acknowledged this indirectly today. Seems like he needs to actively think about it in order to pull off both the relic usage and the burst in one motion.

As for Mole Knight, that music is hopping and the beetles are... no, wait. I don't want to make a reference like that! Anyways, you can bounce on those flaming fish...moles (?) in the original game with the shovel. Yeah, the Smoke Bomb's also incredible in cheesing certain places hardcore. Also, I am impressed on how you saved yourself with some incredible menuing. Turning that negative into a positive has never been so sweet.
Mole Knight's kinda there, but still pretty sweet! I like how he's a mole, but acts the most like an actual knight! Also, jeez! Orbit casing kinda demolishes Mole Knight especially! I think you found the broken shield weapon here...

Spin Burst is REALLY fun, but more on that later. Don't use that in Polar Knight's stage too much, or you may regret it...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Plague Knight: Calcination of Sulfur

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Percy proves himself incompetent at leaving lovebirds be, film at 11.

Anyway, the Bottomless Quarry is the hardest level for me, even when I know how the Vat works. Either I press the arcana button too late, run out of mana at the worst moment like raocow, or otherwise miscalculate my jumps. I can't remember how many times I died there, but I'm sure it was the most out of my run.

Mole Knight and his stage aren't really special to me outside of the former's gimmicks and the latter's aesthetic. I never used the Smoke Bomb that much, either. Even now, I often forget how his boss remix goes. Bouncing on the jellified lava sure is fun, though.

As for the new weapon parts today, Whirl Casing is perhaps the best there is. Not only does it have a truly straight trajectory, but it also makes for a fun game of "dodge the bomb". Meanwhile, Impact Fuse was made for those who need their booms now. It won't work if the enemies are too far away, but that problem can be solved with ranged powders like Tracer or Component Powder. I've never tried Spin Burst, but once I get more used to the mechanics I might pick it up for some thrills.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Haven't seen the video yet, all I'm going to say is that Bottomless Quarry is also really good for training yourself on the various bursts, as well as for learning the timing for chaining bursts. Even if it's because it's a "Do Or Die" thing. You don't even need the Vat for the first room once you're sufficiently proficient at chaining bursts.
Classtoise

Post by Classtoise »

"Maybe I should just...*hovers over Casing*

*goes to Arcana* Use Smoke Bomb"

So close.
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

I will add a small detail. Throw a bait bomb into the pit next to the Troupple King.
One day, an image will return
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I'd probably gotten the most expensive armor with all that money. I think that getting the cheaper weapon upgrades was the more fun choice though, and I'm sure there will be more changes for that other one later.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Alright, the final batch of upgrades!

First of all:

It is entirely possible to get the Pandaemonium Chalice from Mona and not Percy, you just have to be on New Game+ before spending the last batch of coins. Click the first link in my signature to see it in action.

I will unspoiler that and post it again once raocow's reached that reward.

Second: Spark powder is tricky to use. Unless you're using Impact Fuse, it will not explode on contact with an enemy. It's also really good for clearing out dirt clods as a result. It works really well with Whirl casing, and if you want what's basically a Spark Shield use Orbit, Spark, and Long Fuse.

Third: Epic Recovery Time!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Saw the comments complaining about you not using your Burst Jumps before watching yesterday's vid, but you barely had any problems in terms of platforming in general in Mole Knight's stage, so I don't know why! The less you rely on that Burst thing, the more acrobatic or innovative you were getting. The save with the vat at the very end was great.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

waa▓▒▒░ i dont know if this will be appreciated or not because its so minor and like three days lates— but i cannot ▸▸not◂◂ say it

but ohmygosh is the Troupple King like the cutest thing in the whole entire world⁙⁚⁛ ✩Theyre seriously the sweetest fish to ever be✩゚ like I had to stop the video just to show my sibling this super adorable ruler﹌ i dont really have a point to saying this it's just way too cute to not mention✧

T▿H▿A▿N▿K▿YOU
ImageImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Hypothermia OR Three Dog Knight!

Post by Willhart »

Smoke bomb would have helped on the last part there at the end I think. Also this level is my favorite, with the gimmicks, nice tileset and parallax background it has. Half buried boat makes for some neat geometry.