(shouting)

Shovel Knight: Plauge/Shovel of Shadows/Hope - final - TVSVUEIO

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Tenlade

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Necrosis OR In The Dead of Knight!

Post by Tenlade »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago Let's be honest with this naming series. Mega Man X weapons exist to be mostly ignored.
*except for X1. X1's are some of the best megaman weapons in the series, everything past that is just "Why arent you heading straight to the x-buster upgrade/zero sabering everything????"
Grounder

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Guy Fawkes Knight OR Homesickness!

Post by Grounder »

homesickness is totally an officially recognized disease what are you talking about *shifty eyes*

Also, I can't not see Togekiss every time a "Scarfy" shows up.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I was wondering how the game would handle going into your own area. I figured you would either fight Shovel Knight (which we got), or the Black Knight again as a substitute.

That Shovel Knight fight was pretty good! Nice touch of Shovel Knight's bags of money falling out an death. Shame you couldn't collect them.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I feel you about the knockback. Practically every death I've had with Plague Knight was from being knocked down the hole by an enemy.

Looking at the achievements list probably would have spilled the beans on that Oolong gag anyways.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow, according to the devs, the crazy knockback to to push players to play more from range/a further distance.
Don’t forget…there’s one more thing that makes Plague a little more risky. His knockback when damaged by enemies is much greater than Shovel Knight’s:

This was a conscious decision so as to make Plague seem that much scarier to control and to make the player re-think some enemy placements. It has one other benefit – since Plague Knight is a projectile focused character, being cleared far away from an enemy on hit helps guide the player to attack safely from a distance when retaliating.

But don’t worry, if you calmly charge your burst, or save your double jump, you can recover from any situation. No problem!
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago
But don’t worry, if you calmly charge your burst, or save your double jump, you can recover from any situation. No problem!
ahahahahahahahahaha
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Plague Knight: Spirit of Quintessence...and shovels

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Oh yes, this episode got really fun in the boss fight. It was hard not to laugh at how the Blue Burrower would fight him, especially since it's scarily close to the average player's tactics (not counting the War Horn and some extra health). That backstab at the end was the icing on the cake.

Also, there's a secret bonus just before you drop down to the boss room:

Just bomb the right-hand wall with the lock, fly in and you're home sweet home!

(Granted, I needn't have put it in spoilers since in retrospect it's a little obvious, but courtesy and all that.)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years agoThis was a conscious decision so as to make Plague seem that much scarier to control and to make the player re-think some enemy placements.
That's a bit too optimistic an expectation from raocow, lol. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the idea hasn't even remotely crossed raocow's mind.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

raocow's reaction to the boss's capabilities was perfect. It makes more sense if you think of Butt Butt as being on his New Game+, as in both fights he can also use the War Horn. Given my playstyle, it is a fairly common sighting for me.

Today's batch of upgrades brings in one of my favorite cases: the Float casing. It's like an inverted Lob case, but it can still hit what's in front of you. Combined with the Sentry fuse it can really wreck a couple of the more troublesome bosses. Cough cough.

E: Regarding the downtime between throwing a bomb and using an arcana, maybe try the other control method for a bit (Up+Attack instead of a third button). I prefer the Castlevania-style controls, though, so I may be a little biased here. Also, you can start charging for a burst during screen transitions, cutscenes, and (if you're quick enough and not using Float Burst) while you burst.

I didn't realize someone had already mentioned the War Horn despite it not showing up in the boss fight proper, so I unspoiler'd it...
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Playing as Plague Knight looks pretty fun, like you're Mega Man with all these bomb items. Shame about the Luigi sliding and ridiculous knockback, though, but yeah. I think I might try this one out soon enough. Pretty sure we updated the Wii U game for that.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I had forgotten for a bit that Plague Knight is actually the witch from SML2. It is surely no co-inky-dink that Shovel Knight gets a coin here as a treasure.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Soul Hunter

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Fitting, considering what Plague Knight is doing with his life. I needed some time so I could watch Chugga race in a completely different game for a full day (which was a great time).

A bit of correction from yesterday: Float Burst won't help you from getting hit by enemies more than the Basic Burst, but it will assist in the platforming very well. And since failure in those instances is death... Float Burst is an incredibly helpful safety net, but far from the only good option. Frost Burst is great, too. Also, both Cluster and Component bombs are great for certain bosses. Component bombs in particular shred Shovel Knight... who I somehow had many issues with in the first place.

The stage's many spikes are, as always, pretty perilous, but not frustrating until you go down the alternate route, in which there were spots where I would fall many times on my first time through. It expects you to have mastered Plague Knight's movement down pat.

By the by, many doctors and alchemists envied gold, so it's no coincidence that the relic was a gold coin. We need to look for a mushroom obsession before we can truly confirm Plague Knight is a Mario entity.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

Fun fact: Baz will steal a new stock of potions for you every time you clear a new Order Of No Quarter stage if you wanna take advantage of that.

I hope you pick the Dandy Duds. I love them.
Lockirby2

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Fortknight OR Travelers' Diarrhea!

Post by Lockirby2 »

You can hold down to dance (don't mash the button repeatedly).

I never realized that Baz could be recruited. I didn't talk to him enough times.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

1) Nicholas Flamel, Legendary Alchemist.
2) I've never been a fan of the Component Powder, but it seems to be really good for enemies that move around frequently.
3) Mirth Makes Worth!
4) Sipher coins?
5) Oh man the Hat Store.
6) Oh man the Outpost battle.
7) So because of the Outpost stuff, Butt Butt's and Plague Butt's stories are actually mutually exclusive - Plague Knight takes over the town in his campaign, but Shovel Knight never liberates it in his.

Though all things considered, it's irrelevant.

8) Oh man Kirby's in hate with your hood!
9) (at this point in the list I hit my controller and remember that Touhou is still running, via a sudden pwap sound)
10) The Big Tonic Bag is worth it.
11) So despite the stories being incompatible in spots, Baz fights Butt Butt first and then fights Plague Butt.
12) Baz is one of the few times where if I'm not going for a Naked Plague run I will always use Lob casing, Cluster powder, and the Long fuse.
13) Bazchemist is best alchemist. Even if he is a thief. He will refill you after every Order stage.
14) Plague Butt only gets one chalice from the Troupple Acolyte, which unlocks the Dance and the armor changes.

The Pandemonium Chalice is part of the 100% completion reward. I love the Pandemonium Cloak.

15) Four.
16) Dance for Mona please?
17) "The fact that he's speaking about things not being suspicious makes me suspicious." Heck yeah subtlety!
18) Oh right, the thing. Destroy paintings first, then focus on the armor men. It'll save you a headache since the free visit ends as soon as the last armor man is defeated. Paid visits also require all the paintings getting destroyed, and the worst part is that revisits are timed.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Plague Knight: The Alectronical Wedding of Sir Spielen von Jachtengruppe

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Yeah, it's a pain that once you clear Plague Knight's Hall of Champions level, you'll have to beat the time trial to keep everything you missed the first time. At least you get good stuff for your troubles. My personal recommendation would be to pack the Big Boom to clear out multiple portraits at once and save the Component Powder for the surviving paintings. That strategy helped me nail the challenge with seconds to spare, even when I needed to get that last lousy cipher coin.

At the Troupple Pond, I'd recommend the Treasure Trappings first. When you die you can just magnetize yourself and even nearby bags will fly to you. That said, once you get confident enough with the game you can move on to the other cloaks. I've only beaten this campaign once with the TT, but I'll gladly give them a shot in run #2.

Also, you did good recruiting the Baz. He finally has an order to call his own!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raekuul wrote: 6 years ago 7) So because of the Outpost stuff, Butt Butt's and Plague Butt's stories are actually mutually exclusive - Plague Knight takes over the town in his campaign, but Shovel Knight never liberates it in his.

Though all things considered, it's irrelevant.

Obviously, they simply moved to the identical town a few yards over.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

friendly reminder that Percy will give you 500 gold for every music sheet you find back at the alchemy base, and you have quite a bit stockpiled. probably not enough for the dandy clothing but more then enough for the knockback reduction outfit or the lose less money on death one.

minor note: the tropple acolyte that sold you the chalace is a woman, different from the one male one in shovel knight's campaign, a useless tidbit that might come up in the far, far future.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Necrosis OR In The Dead of Knight!

Post by Classtoise »

Tenlade wrote: 6 years ago
Bean wrote: 6 years ago Let's be honest with this naming series. Mega Man X weapons exist to be mostly ignored.
*except for X1. X1's are some of the best megaman weapons in the series, everything past that is just "Why arent you heading straight to the x-buster upgrade/zero sabering everything????"
X1 they felt like WEAPONS. Like, you were using these to FIGHT things.

X2 they felt like tools with very few exceptions, and X3 they felt like novelties. And some of them charged up felt like a joke (like the Crystal Hunter in X2 charged up, only everything). Hey you charged the Ray Splasher? Haha, jokes on you! It fucking sucks now!

Speaking of sucking, I always found the Component Powder kind of...lackluster. It does the same damage at every stage, it feels like? Great. Awesome. OR. I could throw 3 black powder bombs!
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Alice

Post by Alice »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years agoYou can hold down to dance (don't mash the button repeatedly).
Who would've guessed that when someone says to hold the down button you'd need to actually hold it in order to do what they're saying it does?
Tenlade wrote: 6 years agofriendly reminder that Percy will give you 500 gold for every music sheet you find back at the alchemy base, and you have quite a bit stockpiled.
I'm kinda curious how he forgot this. It's not exactly a new mechanic. It's there in Shovel Knight's storyline as well, from the beginning just like it is here.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

when you are doing an lp, simply forgetting somethign once is an unforgiveable sin. every mistake scrutinised, every ill play a crack. before dawn, all the imperfections of the player will be splayed across the court and we shall watch as the birds and the dogs feast!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote: 6 years agowhen you are doing an lp, simply forgetting somethign once is an unforgiveable sin. every mistake scrutinised, every ill play a crack. before dawn, all the imperfections of the player will be splayed across the court and we shall watch as the birds and the dogs feast!
The issue isn't "forgetting stuff" so much as "forgetting something immediately after reading it" or "forgetting something that's been there all game". Those are really obvious things that really shouldn't be easily, let alone commonly, forgotten.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

in my defense, I do remember it in tonight's video, which was recorded yesterday.
sometimes things just escape my mind as I'm thinking of something else
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I forgive you raocow
also, man, spoilers for the video.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Tenlade wrote: 6 years agofriendly reminder that Percy will give you 500 gold for every music sheet you find back at the alchemy base, and you have quite a bit stockpiled.
I'm kinda curious how he forgot this. It's not exactly a new mechanic. It's there in Shovel Knight's storyline as well, from the beginning just like it is here.
I can see multiple reasons why turning in music in Plague Knight's storyline is more likely to be forgotten from time-to-time than in Shovel Knight's story:

1. In Shovel Knight, you have to walk past the Bard whenever entering the first town from the map (to access health or magic upgrades). Here, you have to actively jump up platforms to reach Percy - and if you're only visiting Mona, you don't need to go past him at all.

2. The Bard jumps up and down in Shovel Knight in glee when you are nearby with new music. I don't recall Percy doing anything similar. Edit: Turns out I missed that he apparently does do a similar jig. My error!

3. There's significantly more new stuff to keep track of in Plague Knight in terms of customizing your options and purchasing upgrades. A player familiar with Shovel Knight will naturally focus on wrapping their head around the new stuff, making it more likely they won't always consistently remember the "old" stuff.
Last edited by Voltgloss 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.