(shouting)

Escape Goat 2 - FINAL - The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion

Post by Voltgloss »

I had no idea "put Roo on the barrel then hit it" made everything magically fall into place in that one room. That's clearly the intended solution - not the garbage convoluted thing I did (which involved timing a fall past that first reaper when his back was turned and then going over the top center section).
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Voltgloss wrote: 7 years ago I had no idea "put Roo on the barrel then hit it" made everything magically fall into place in that one room. That's clearly the intended solution - not the garbage convoluted thing I did (which involved timing a fall past that first reaper when his back was turned and then going over the top center section).
I actually think that's pretty great though, as much I love my rigorous Sokoban, Witness, Stephen's Sausage Roll puzzles, these are great puzzle-platformer levels and can be overcome with brute force or clever systems, and it matters less whether you learned the intended process or not, because trial and erroring it later will likely work just as well (or it'll never come up again). It's fun! I'm glad the spine's first levels were basically just tutorials, but I almost wish raocow could've done two worlds at a time early on.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I think the intended solution for that room was to get the reaper near the top of the screen to melt the ice blocks to open up a path for you to get back to the door. raocow's barrel-Roo method was probably intended as an alternate solution that is easy to pull off if you think to try it, but without the expectation that most players would.
Grounder

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Batman & Robin

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

raocow is doing really well with finding the secret exits, as well as with doing the secret rooms themselves. I'm glad we get to see him discovering them himself rather than just having him wait until the end and look up the locations.

Yeah, Roo can protect you from flames, which can be useful if you ever get into a pinch with the reapers. It can also help in unlocking that secret room: the times raocow got to the key but didn't have time to get back out would have been possible if he'd sent Roo out ahead to block the flames while the goat inches forward behind the Roo-shield. Granted, it would be kind of cruel to Roo, but given what Roo has already been willing to go through for you, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

It's a nice touch that the room that uses that mechanic as part of the puzzle unlocks from a room where that trick is useful, so that you have an opportunity to discover it (if you haven't already) right before you get there.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Yesterday's secret room was the one that took me longest to figure out. And I had a similar "huh?" reaction as raocow did when I first succeeded in having Roo tank the explosion for me.

Note when I say "longest to figure out" I don't mean "hardest." The electricity one I mentioned upthread (one that we've yet to see) takes that prize, by *far*. Like 100+ deaths by far.

That was the only room that, according to the game itself, gave me legitimate rage.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Dig Dug II

Post by Ditocoaf »

Maybe you tried this at some point, but can't you just stand here
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 5.56.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 5.56.48 PM.png (257.47 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
with your big goat body to make the guy fall in the hole?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ditocoaf wrote: 7 years ago Maybe you tried this at some point, but can't you just stand here
I think it'd have the same issue as the times he tried dropping Roo there. Though it should theoretically work more reliably if he dropped Roo there then did his normal thing. He'd keep the reaper attacking until the bottom tile where Roo would take over that job leaving raocow to just focus on dodging fireballs until it drops in the hole.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

you've probably already heard this but you made so much of this room harder than it needed to be
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Voltgloss wrote: 7 years agoNote when I say "longest to figure out" I don't mean "hardest." The electricity one I mentioned upthread (one that we've yet to see) takes that prize, by *far*. Like 100+ deaths by far.
Oof, yeah, that one is nasty.

You can actually break the last one-tile fall by falling off the block with the switch, charging into the block, and then falling straight down into the hole. Makes the end a little less shitty at least.

Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Gotta love COD ads on these Escape Goat videos. I don't care about your multi-million dollar game, I came here to watch a non-sequitur spouting cow jump around with a goat and his mouse friend.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Lockirby2 wrote: 7 years ago Gotta love COD ads on these Escape Goat videos. I don't care about your multi-million dollar game, I came here to watch a non-sequitur spouting cow jump around with a goat and his mouse friend.
Catnip On Demo when?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Ditocoaf wrote: Maybe you tried this at some point, but can't you just stand here
I'm pretty sure that works, or else leave Roo there while the goat hangs out up top. raocow actually got pretty unlucky because the first time he tried leaving Roo there, the reaper just happened to be facing right and didn't see him (which, as you can tell from the beginning of the video where raocow was trying to get the reaper to walk off to the right, doesn't happen that often). That is definitely safer than what he was doing, but since it didn't work when he tried it, he must have either assumed it didn't work or else was just a lot less reliable than it is and gave up on it. If not for that instance of bad timing convincing him to not use a safer method, I suspect raocow would have cleared the room quite a bit faster than he ended up spending on it.

The one benefit to the way raocow was doing it is that by standing on the boxes as they burn, you stay on the same level as the reaper so it never turns around, meaning it won't be facing the wrong direction when it reaches the floor. The safest/most reliable way to do the beginning would probably be to do what raocow did, but with Roo as the bait instead of the goat. And then the goat can hang out off to the left while the mouse distracts the reaper, and when the reaper reaches ground level, you can jump down to the safe area on the left so that the reaper keeps shooting even after hitting Roo. It should also work to just let the goat hang out on the block one tile higher than the floor so that the reaper starts shooting at you one block higher, and then walk off to the floor level at the same time as the reaper so it keeps shooting, which gives you two vertical tiles worth of space for the reaper to see you instead of just one.

I think using Roo to bait the reapers would have also helped in clearing out the boxes on the left at the end of the level. Sending Roo out along the ceiling beneath you should be enough to get the reaper to shoot without ever putting the goat in danger. Though raocow is comfortable enough with platforming that it's understandable that platforming with the goat is his go-to mode for dealing with obstacles, while Roo is more for puzzles than for general safety.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

What's not clear from just watching raocow's video is that the game is rather finicky about that first reaper falling in the hole. Like, even if he's standing on the block shooting fireballs at a goat or mouse, if he's not *dead center* on the block he'll be left standing on the edge of the gap but NOT fall in. So the timing on getting either the mouse OR the goat positioned just right to drop that reaper where you need him is really surprisingly finicky.
Grounder

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Ice Age: The Meltdown

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Ice Age: The Meltdown

Post by Sebby19 »

I think I figured out the deal with that simple level and all that unnecessary space.

Try covering the floor in the upper middle room with blocks.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Post by Crow »

this is a very raocow video in a good way. accidentally breaking a puzzle, throwing his head against a wall trying to figure something out then basically discovering it on accident, actually succeeding and having a lot of fun

, not making me want to yell at the screen,

it's nice
kitikami

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Post by kitikami »

raocow just continues to impress me with finding and completing these secret rooms. He also managed to find a couple of the toughest ones early on, and now that he's getting to some of the less demanding ones, he's just breezing through them.
Grounder

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call

Post by Grounder »

Is the next secret the hard electricity one?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Grounder wrote: 7 years ago Is the next secret the hard electricity one?
Depends how successful raocow is in his secret hunting. Given his track record so far, I'm guessing that it's not the *next* secret he plays, but it likely will be the one he finds *after* that. (Ironically, the hard electricity secret is the only secret room I literally found by accident when trying to clear the level normally. I was a bit worried early in the LP that raocow might do the same and find that one first, and become scarred by the experience.)

The real fun in today's levels is completing the first room (where raocow sent Roo for a ride on the block) WITHOUT using the Magic Hat. This isn't a spoiler; it's one of the game's listed achievements. And it felt super satisfying to accomplish.

Also not a spoiler: I used a very different (much less finicky) method of clearing the room that raocow suspects of having a secret. I won't mention it now, as I wonder if he'll stumble on it in his experimentation. I'm legit impressed that he managed to get his tricky-timing solution working.

One last note: raocow, if you find yourself frustrated with lots of deaths in a level, why not take a break by looking at your options in the pause menu (pressing Escape)? You may notice an option has changed.
Crow

Post by Crow »

4-9 is maybe my least favorite normal room in the game. it's just a super annoying timing puzzle that's way more in the spirit of escape goat 1's postgame than it is what escape goat tends to be about
and yes there's a secret there & it makes the room way worse, ugh
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I definitely remember 4-9 being one of the trickiest non-secret rooms. Just figuring out what to do can be pretty tricky, and working out and executing the timing is also a thing. It is a little out of character with most the other rooms, where even if you're not sure what to do at first, you can just kind of stumble around and make progress until you get it. But I also think it's also interesting to present you with a puzzle where there is such a limited range of things you can even try, and yet figuring out what to do is still not at all obvious.

In that sense, I think the room was well designed, but it can be a bit frustrating because the execution can be a bit finicky with the physics of the game engine (which also seems to be a big problem with the EG1 postgame, like Parama is comparing it to).
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

...Huh. I guess you both solved it raocow's way then?
If you hit both yellow switches simultaneously, with Roo's help, the two barrels get stuck against each other and stop - each halfway over the center hole. Then Roo can crawl along their combined undersides to hit he upper-right switch with no tricky timing needed. That brings the rightmost barrel down with the moving block, sitting half-on and half-off the block, in a way that stops the center electricity (again, no tricky timing needed as the barrel is still stationary). You can then hit it from the right and take its place on the block (which is admittedly a tricky jump though not nearly as tricky as raocow's timing shenanigans), and the barrel rolls down to the lower-left switch to bring the block - and you - up to the exit.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Now that you mention that, I actually did end up doing it that way (it's been a while since I played this, so I don't remember the solutions to a lot of rooms). I think it's still trickier than most non-secret rooms

, and I'm also pretty sure most of my memories of that room being hard are from looking for a secret exit.

Crow

Post by Crow »

Also I went and looked up the secret rooms and
the one you unlock from 4-9 is my least favorite easily, doing it as intended is a total pain and its a mess of a level. But it's got an easy way to cheese it and raocow will probably find it knwoing him so