(shouting)

Escape Goat 2 - FINAL - The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Bartok the Magnificent

Post by Voltgloss »

I would say that, of those I've found so far, S-2 is the second-hardest of the secret rooms to execute. I award "hardest" honors to a certain room that relies on electricity rather than saws.
Grounder

Re: Escape Goat 2 - SAW II

Post by Grounder »

the joke wrote itself here
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow that little piece of land jutting down from the ceiling was there so that you could headbutt against it and fall straight down!
that part wasn't supposed to be hard in the slightest! :cry:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

In general, falling straight down can be kind of tricky unless you have a wall or block to run into to stop your momentum at the right place, so that might be a useful tip for some other places. I don't remember if I ever noticed the momentum-stopping block in S-2, but I do remember that drop being difficult, and I didn't remember you could do that when raocow got there, so I must have at least spent some time trying to do it the way raocow did before noticing it (if I did at all).

Saw blades turn around once they hit ice, so I think the game was expecting you to have enough experience with how the game works by the time you find the secret rooms to recognize that those blocks were ice from how they interacted with stuff.

This room has that one really tricky obstacle in the center which takes some figuring out on top of some precise jumps, but nothing close to the gauntlets of the first game's postgame. The rest of the room is difficult, but the first part you can mostly learn how to handle pretty quickly, and as long as you utilize the magic hat and figure out the way to trivialize the drop to the switch, the second half of the room isn't too bad. raocow finishing this in ~20 minutes shows how much more tame it is than its predecessor.
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah there are a few rooms here that are kind of frustrating but nothing that was remotely at the level of how hard escape goat 1's awful postgame looked
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I love how raocow of all people is doing a lot of these puzzles properly where I kept breaking them. As I recall here on S-2 I wound up having to like, double-jump out of a hat teleport to get out of that saw shaft? I don't even remember if that actually worked anymore but I remember that being something I did. Leaving Roo over there on that otherwise-useless ice block makes a lot more sense. :p
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Parama wrote: 7 years ago raocow that little piece of land jutting down from the ceiling was there so that you could headbutt against it and fall straight down!
that part wasn't supposed to be hard in the slightest! :cry:
I completely missed this when I played the level as well. It was only on revisiting the level that I actually realized what that bit of land was for. So, I'm right there with raocow on this one.

And yeah, raocow, the reason you kept wondering why there were ice physics is because all of the blue blocks in that room were ice blocks.

I also just now finished the game with 100% completion. Huzzah! And without checking any guides. I am hopeful that raocow continues to find the remaining secret rooms without assistance - the thrill of discovery was palpable for each one. It'd be a shame to deny him that.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I remember having a lot easier time on that saw room. I did unlock it later too though, so I was likely more used to the physics and the controls at that point.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Darksiders II

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

now these two episodes are more like it, some real meat on this goat! unlike all these ghostly/skeletal companions. ooer.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 7 years ago now these two episodes are more like it, some real meat on this goat! unlike all these ghostly/skeletal companions. ooer.
Yeah, to return to your question from earlier - what raocow is calling the "outer worlds" is where the concepts presented in the early rooms get refined and developed into true challenges. And the secret stained glass rooms are most challenging of all.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I really do like how the game ends up being much larger than it seems at first. The game eases you into everything, and then just when it feels like it is going by too quickly, the game opens up and starts to flesh out its concepts more, and you realize you have a lot further to go than you thought.

It also works really well with the concept of the game, because it takes the in-game perspective of the goat having to unlock these new areas to continue, and then applies it to the player. Even before you unlock new areas, you can see where they'll go on the map, but then suddenly you unlock something new and unexpected, and you get that sense of discovery. It's just part of what this game does so well in terms of creating the right atmosphere.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Episode 10.

Room 1: Looks like raocow forgot about Roo there. Not that Roo was required; he just would have made things less stressful.

Room 2: I really wanted raocow to see what would happen if he moved those blocks with the grey switch, before he moved the right-hand set of rising/falling blocks. I think that might have been the proper solution. Still, at least raocow got there in the end, eh?
Grounder

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I think you broke that last puzzle. I recall sending out the mouse and moving back and forth across the switches to toggle the lightning, such that you're timing him between the bolts being active/inactive.

...or maybe your way was the intended solution and I made it way harder than it should have been, I have no idea.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay, looks like raocow's hitting the point where I should be playing the game before he spoils me on all the secrets. Time to see what I can work out, I suppose.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

S.N.N. wrote: 7 years ago I think you broke that last puzzle. I recall sending out the mouse and moving back and forth across the switches to toggle the lightning, such that you're timing him between the bolts being active/inactive.

...or maybe your way was the intended solution and I made it way harder than it should have been, I have no idea.
Same exact reaction from me. raocow's some kind of escape goaty savant.

Really well done today raocow on realizing the existence of a hidden exit in that first room, figuring out how to access it, figuring out the Roo-blocking-the-door trick, and then navigating Frame Perfect Timing: The Room with grace and aplomb. Capped off with absolutely demolishing the puzzle at the end.

Seriously, excellent play today.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So I tried playing again. Didn't make any real progress, I just uncovered the two secrets raocow found, didn't clear them, and found some other suspicious things in rooms next to empty space but I couldn't work out what I was supposed to do.

But I did uncover a secret entrance that I already found, and I thought I should remind raocow of something he can do. He should know this, since he played through the entire first game and I'm pretty sure it came up in postgame, but in case he wants to stumble onto it himself I'll put it in a spoiler.

If you dash off solid ground, you can use both jumps after the dash, even in midair.

Voltgloss

Re: Escape Goat 2 - The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands

Post by Voltgloss »

Glad to see raocow get "an" ending today. Will make eventual full completion all the sweeter.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Yeah, I got as far as getting all the sheep but I didn't finish the true final area or find a lot of secrets.

I think the main reason for the early ending is to make the speedrun achievement more doable. You can get here without doing any excessively demanding rooms.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i don't really like this gimmick because i'm impatient and puzzles that force you to wait around a lot are boring.

especially that last room, just did not enjoy that one. it feels really awkward.

but yay, an end
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Man, 9-4 took me forever to figure out because I didn't realize the keys were controlling the length of the snake, and raocow solved it before he even released the snake into the room. I kept thinking I had to do some crazy timing with getting the mouse and goat to press the last two switches at the exact right moment. In general, raocow worked out the details of how the snake worked pretty quickly for a mechanic that is completely new to the series.
heycallmeZe

Re: Escape Goat 2 - Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion

Post by heycallmeZe »

That first level today, it may have had a secret.

Did anyone else notice the large amount of ice blocks there?

One day, an image will return
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Getting trapped in the hat area right beside the goal is such a raocow death.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Lockirby2 wrote: 7 years agoGetting trapped in the hat area right beside the goal is such a raocow death.
My personal favorite part was where he nearly did it again before realizing he shouldn't switch there.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

A the Safety Bee should be ok with the torches in the forest area once she inspects them and notices the branches are just painted stone. Although the reapers throwing flames everywhere with wooden boxes and/or explosives lying around is probably a violation of some code or other.

Restoring the sheep rooms by hitting all the switches does feel good.