(shouting)

Let's Play A2XT! - 43 to 47 FINAL - Zebras and Quack!~Doubt!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Let's Play A2XT! - 43 to 47 FINAL - Zebras and Quack!~Doubt!

Post by QubicTom »

I asked the forum what I should play after Rayman and A2XT was the overwhelming winner! Since I'm now apparently playing every game made by the talkhaus, I'm glad we've reached the easiest of the games this forum has to offer. This playthrough isn't blind - in fact, I played through this myself before, staying ahead of raocow's LP of it. Let's see how the game holds up a few years after the excitement of this game's release!

Ep1 - A Demo, Iris, raocow, Kood and Sheath Adventure
Ep2 - Original Compositions and Salad Bars
Ep3 - Starring the Demo Counter and Forest World
Ep4 - Green Trees, Canopies, Plants and Ghosts
Ep5 - Books, Elves and Sweet Rides
Ep6 - The Kood, The Bad and The Ugly
Ep7 - For A Few Demos More
Ep8 - Death Rides a Cat Llama
Ep9 - How The Leek Was Won
Ep10 - Butch Cassidy and the Super Leek
Ep11 - дождь
Ep12 - завод
Ep13 - спасение
Ep14 - семья
Ep15 - 225, rue Frontenac
Ep16 - 5866, rue Sherbrooke Ouest
Ep17 - 5265, rue de Gaspé
Ep18 - 315, rue William
Ep19 - 63, rue King Ouest
Ep20 - 1300, boulevard du Mi-Vallon
Ep21 - COROT-7b
Ep22 - Kepler-78b
Ep23 - 55 Cancri e
Ep24 - Alpha Centauri Bb
Ep25 - Mustafar
Ep26 - Venus
Ep27 - Eight Torr
Ep28 - Eight Pascal
Ep29 - Seventeen Pounds per Square Inch
Ep30 - Five milliBar
Ep31 - Eleven Inches of Mercury
Ep32 - Sixteen Pièzes
Ep33 - Return to 55 Cancri e
Ep34 - Forest Brigade Challenge
Ep35 - Another Sacred Expedition
Ep36 - Another Something Theme
Ep37 - Knight Ruins Lithography
Ep38 - Surreal Haunted Surfer
Ep39 - Liberty Hurts Remix
Ep40a - Unreal Chaos Ninja
Ep40b - Legendary A2XT Remix
Ep41 - The Floor is Zebras
Ep42 - Abstract Zebras
Ep43 - Action.Zebra
Ep44 - Unseen and Mysterious Zebra
Ep45 - Depths of Transcendental Zebras
Ep46 - The Tower of Dr. Zebra
Ep47 FINAL - Show and Tell
Last edited by QubicTom 6 years ago, edited 24 times in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 1 - A Demo, Iris, raocow, Kood and Sheath Adventure

Post by raocow »

this should be fun, I hope!

i hadn't considered the fact that it'd be interesting to see how well it hold sup on it's own, more or less.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

I know you we're wondering Tom so here's the timeline from the wiki as revised by Rockythechao in case you didn't see my comment on your first vid: ASMT & AZCT (AZCT being debateable) > A2MT (Revived) > ASMBXT > A2XT EP1 > EP2 > EP3 > EP4

Looking forward to this! :)

EDIT: An example of one of the plot changes to A2MT from the original draft is that it no longer takes place in biome's in Demo's ship instead it's just an island with many weird biome's around it.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Demo counter: 1

Remakes are so Cliche is actually a remake of first stage in The Great Giana Sisters, and the falling section is from the first part of first stage in Giana Sisters DS. The start didn't work in A World One Level to avoid desyncing the music. So called cape is actually SMB3 leaf (with SMW sorta graphics), which was much less powerful than SMW cape.

By the way, in ASMBXT, Septentrion Pleiades made two hardest levels in postgame (ignoring one level in postpostgame made by someone else). Nice to see Septentrion make a reasonable level for once :).
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Tobi555 wrote: 7 years ago I know you were wondering Tom so here's the timeline from the wiki as revised by Rockythechao in case you didn't see my comment on your first vid: ASMT & AZCT (AZCT being debateable) > A2MT (Revived) > ASMBXT > A2XT EP1 > EP2 > EP3 > EP4

EDIT: An example of one of the plot changes to A2MT from the original draft is that it no longer takes place in biome's in Demo's ship instead it's just an island with many weird biome's around it.
Thank you for clarifying the timeline! In Ep3 I was going to explain how the hub/spaceship is where A2MT takes place, but now I know better :D
GlitchMr wrote: 7 years ago Demo counter: 1
Nice to see Septentrion make a reasonable level for once :).
I think I understand Septentrion's level design ideas now. I believe his World One level was originally meant to be played with Demo, which would be much harder, but Kood brings it back to a realistic early difficulty! Regarding the Demo counter, it was off by default in v1.3 of A2XT (which is the only version Dxtory would record for me). I now know how to turn it on, so it'll return in Ep3!

Meanwhile, let's listen to music composed by Maiku Wotaharu for 15 minutes while bopping about in World One :)
Ep2 - Original Compositions and Salad Bars

I think people should make predictions now: what do you think the final number on the Demo counter? For reference, I've passed 3000 Demos in A2MT with the entire end game and post game still left to do. Will this cross 1000 by the end?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 2 - Original Compositions and Salad Bars

Post by raocow »

the thing with the secret exit of World One Level actually is that it LOOKS scary and hard but actually it's super easy. it's basically a pufferfish.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Tobi555 wrote: 7 years ago as revised by Rockythechao
iirc the timeline was revised by SAJewers back before he made Hoeloe the project lead. All I did was edit A2MT back in after it was discussed in the A2XT dev chat and Tobi asked me about it.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I always considered ASMBXT to be at least after ASMT in the timeline, but i know darkychao always insisted the opposite.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

raocow wrote: 7 years ago the thing with the secret exit of World One Level actually is that it LOOKS scary and hard but actually it's super easy. it's basically a pufferfish.
Which is perfect, because otherwise the joke wouldn't work!

The timeline discussion is interesting, and the funny thing is the only reason I can think of for putting A2MT after ASMT is because of the callbacks in the first level. Otherwise I think their order could be exchanged without any problems! (Unless I'm forgetting some other reference?)

Meanwhile, after eight minutes and eighteen seconds of npc interaction and cutscenes, we enter Forest World!
Ep3 - Starring the Demo Counter and Forest World
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 3 - Starring the Demo Counter and Forest World

Post by Rixithechao »

Bit late with this, but I remember reading somewhere that there was a talkhaus Terraria server at one point. I always assumed the first town was one big reference to that.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 3 - Starring the Demo Counter and Forest World

Post by QubicTom »

Rockythechao wrote: 7 years ago Bit late with this, but I remember reading somewhere that there was a talkhaus Terraria server at one point. I always assumed the first town was one big reference to that.
That may very well be the case, especially since certain talkhausers are represented there by their avatars! But I think it's a double reference, since the maker of Terraria also made SMBX.

Almost at the end of World 2 already. This game just flies by! It's trickier to judge level design in this game because it lacks the limitations of SMW. Although SMBX is easier than Lunar Magic and thus lowers the barrier of entry for making levels, so far these A2XT are pretty good (if maybe a bit messy?). That's a testament to the strict admission policies of SAJewers and the team. Contrast to A2MT (which is, in fairness, mostly fine... mostly!) :lol:
Ep4 - Green Trees, Canopies, Plants and Ghosts
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 5 - Books, Elves and Sweet Rides

Post by QubicTom »

And Forest World is done! It was super easy - the Demo Counter barely moved at all. The game gave an error after beating the boss, but recovered - maybe that should be looked into? Dxtory didn't capture the error message, unfortunately.
Ep5 - Books, Elves and Sweet Rides
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

The error message happened because newer versions of SMBX complain about missing music, but the older versions just didn't play music without a notification. This will happen in future levels too, nothing to worry about.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote: 7 years ago The error message happened because newer versions of SMBX complain about missing music, but the older versions just didn't play music without a notification. This will happen in future levels too, nothing to worry about.
Ah, okay! The error message didn't tell me the name of the music file it was searching for, though. If anybody knows of other places that this happens, please let me know and I'll fix the errors myself ahead of time!

World Three is a pretty fun place, where the levels are less gimmicky and more meaty (or vegetable-y, in this game)
Ep6 - The Kood, The Bad and The Ugly
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

QubicTom wrote: 7 years ago Ah, okay! The error message didn't tell me the name of the music file it was searching for, though. If anybody knows of other places that this happens, please let me know and I'll fix the errors myself ahead of time!
The thing is, this level intentionally put wrong file name to have empty music track (MUSIC cheat actually did show 4"33').

I think one level does provide wrong sound file name, and it was missed during testing, as it wasn't all that important. I mean, those things happen in other games too. For instance, in Mega Man 3, there is a sound for getting a new weapon, however it's not played as game instantly decides to play menu sound effect, and it cannot play two sound effects at once.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote: 7 years ago The thing is, this level intentionally put wrong file name to have empty music track (MUSIC cheat actually did show 4"33').
Ah, I see! It's too bad the game throws an error now (I don't remember doing that in raocow's playthrough). If there are other instances of silence in the game I might place an mp3 of silence instead.

The Desert World has some contrasting level quality - compare today's three levels, for instance! Joke levels are fine, but seem a bit out of place in a world of otherwise "real" levels.
Ep7 - For A Few Demos More
Grounder

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 7 - For A Few Demos More

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Desert Town graphics come from a game called Pekka Kana 2. I remember playing that game back on old computer with Windows 98 or so. It's quite old, and doesn't really work on newer versions of Windows, unfortunately (but it's a neat platform game). Would love to see a playthrough of that one, although it's unlikely you will get it working, especially with video recording (that said, I suppose guide on Pekka Kana 2 forums may help).
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote: 7 years ago Desert Town graphics come from a game called Pekka Kana 2. I remember playing that game back on old computer with Windows 98 or so. It's quite old, and doesn't really work on newer versions of Windows, unfortunately (but it's a neat platform game). Would love to see a playthrough of that one, although it's unlikely you will get it working, especially with video recording (that said, I suppose guide on Pekka Kana 2 forums may help).
Interesting, I'll check that out! I wanted to LP an un-LP-able game on Windows 3.1 and managed to get a test episode recorded successfully, so I think a Windows 98 game would be manageable too. Worst case scenario I can use a VM, they are easy enough to work with!

Some legit deaths today in our introduction to lava hitboxes in SMBX.
Ep8 - Death Rides a Cat Llama
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 9 - How The Leek Was Won

Post by QubicTom »

Note to self: Never play SMW immediately before SMBX. It causes a massive rise in the Demo counter.
Ep9 - How The Leek Was Won
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Now I shall anxiously await for my two levels to be played just like I did in raocow's playthrough, haha~
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

New Horizons was not used for A2MT. It was supposed to be the title screen theme but since it doesn't fit with the title screen I decided to cut it. I'm glad it gets liberal use in A2XT.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Tobi555 wrote: 7 years ago New Horizons was not used for A2MT. It was supposed to be the title screen theme but since it doesn't fit with the title screen I decided to cut it. I'm glad it gets liberal use in A2XT.
It's super good that A2XT made use of so many of the A2MT assets so that they didn't go to waste!
Louiejub wrote: 7 years ago Now I shall anxiously await for my two levels to be played just like I did in raocow's playthrough, haha~
Woah, you made levels for this? I don't know which ones they are... maybe it's best that I don't know, so that I have no bias :D

I forgot to post this earlier, whoops! Finishing Desert Western World with a duel to the death.
Ep10 - Butch Cassidy and the Super Leek
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play A2XT! - 11 - дождь

Post by QubicTom »

Welcome to Colonial Seattle
Ep11 - дождь