(shouting)

test.smc.letsplay

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
a guy

test.smc.letsplay

Post by a guy »

Today's new game to be LP by raocow is test.smc

What is test.smc? To quote the creator(source):
yogui wrote:test.smc

That's the name of the game.
Sometime during 2011, I created a SMW rom called test.smc. I used this rom to test things before inserting them to other project (mostly for Something else). I made some levels in this test rom that didn't got released because they didn't had the quality required to be in Something else. Some of these levels, the best ones, were used later for the collab hack JUMP (a great game, check it out), but some were never released.
1 year after releasing Something else, I decided to go back to romhacking. Seeing all these unused and unfinished levels I made over the years, I decided to release them all. So I took my test rom, I added to it older unreleased levels, made new level and released it into a complete game called like the rom, test.smc.

This game have varied levels made at different years, going from 2006 to 2015. The levels were put together in a overworld according to difficulty. Because there's so many differents levels of different origins, I added to the game a text file that provide informations of all the levels. Don't hesitate to read a level info after you complete it.

Being a compilation hack from multiple years, the quality may vary and doesn't reach the level of Something else. However I think it's still a good game to play, and seeing all that variety of level is interesting, it's like it's a collab hack between yogui of 2008, yogui of 2011 and yogui of 2015.
But for those who just want to look at the different levels without playing them all, I included with the game a complete save file so you can go to any level you want directly. There's also a life farm at Yoshi's house for those who want it.

As I said, there's various level. It's mostly vanilla. Some levels have a simple design, some are heavily based on a specific gimmick. Because of that, I had to implement a filter system so some levels don't get broken because of some powerups. Sorry about that.

As for my future of smwhacking... I made this hack so I don't leave anything unfinished behind. Yes, there is a high chance this romhack might be my last. Unless I get really motivated, you won't see a full hack of me again. Or at least not before a long time.
So that's it. It's not the same levels of quality than Something else (it's not it's purpose) but still has some nice stuffs inside.
First levels are rather basics but things will get more interesting (and difficult) later.

The game comes with a text file that says info about the levels. raocow decided to put these in the youtube description so don't hesitate to look at it once you finished watching the video.

Download link of the game

raocow youtube playlist
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: test.smc.letsplay

Post by Mata Hari »

When he said he got scared I was really hoping he would make a Fresh Prince reference and he did.

That's it that's all I've got to say about the video.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

oh boy, "off camera" but by a user who got banned! this isn't going to be uncomfortable at all!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Correct, it won't be.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Leet

Post by Leet »

haha wow you sure got me
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Leet wrote: 7 years ago oh boy, "off camera" but by a user who got banned! this isn't going to be uncomfortable at all!
wait why was he banned?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

disparaging comment toward certain people.
but please let's not dwell on the author, and rather focus on the game itself.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>

main( )
{
        printf("hello, world\n");
}
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Grounder wrote: 7 years ago

#include <stdio.h>

main( )
{
        printf("hello, world\n");
}

What is it, 1989? Here, fixed that for you.

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
    puts("Hello, world");
}

That said, whatever are your feelings about yogui, I will just say that he is a really good level designer, and made a few good levels for JUMP 1/2 recently (and something else... not that something else). Just enjoy the levels.
Leet

Post by Leet »

he's a good level designer when he doesn't include a pointless dick joke or whatever was in that maglx level

i think i remember liking his yoshis island levels

sorry that my first post on here in a while was negative because i have been enjoying the videos a lot recently
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I suppose if ASPE was too hard, this one's too easy, but is probably a better match for the latter-day crotchety cow. There is one ASPE-painful level that I recall (of course, it may not be as infuriating for some one else)

yes, the mole level

dont wanna jihad no more
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

A compilation of levels from unfinished stuff, huh.
The beginning I feel is going to be slightly uninteresting, but I hope there are going to be some really interesting levels.
I'm confused though, becuase that's Sprite GFX index 08 the first level was using, sprite mmemory is just related to sprite tile and other stuff.
Last level had an interesting custom sprite, but didn't do that much with it.

Grounder, who taught you coding? You didn't even include iostream, you aren't using namespace std and your program doesn't have a return!
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Post by Kshaard »

Well I played this thing up until my limited abilities became insufficient (it must have been just over a month ago). I can't say I remember much about it, just that the levels are pretty garn dosh creative.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

Leet wrote: 7 years ago he's a good level designer when he doesn't include a pointless dick joke or whatever was in that maglx level
wasn't his maglx level the mountain of forts? I don't remember anything raunchy in there at all. Unless you're referring to maglx2, which I have little to no memory of lol.

He's a really great designer of the levels and I love his style a lot. He's not above a crude joke or two (I remember at least one in Something Else) and he did end up getting banned for a reason, but he's not horrible and I don't think it completely ruins his cred.

In regards to the video, the only really interesting thing showed so far was the MM7 floor spinner, and not much really happened with it. Here's hoping for more wild stuff in the future...!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

GlitchMr wrote: 7 years ago
What is it, 1989? Here, fixed that for you.

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
    puts("Hello, world");
}
Super Maks 64 wrote: 7 years ago Grounder, who taught you coding? You didn't even include iostream, you aren't using namespace std and your program doesn't have a return!
I didn't write it, don't look at me!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Uhh, yogui made the level with all the moons in it? Most people found it charming and fun.
morsel/morceau wrote: 7 years ago I suppose if ASPE was too hard, this one's too easy, but is probably a better match for the latter-day crotchety cow. There is one ASPE-painful level that I recall (of course, it may not be as infuriating for some one else)

yes, the mole level

I honestly think the

yoshi diet

and

sadistic vip2 castle

were harder.
Mosts Awards:
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

This is going to be interesting. Who knows what you're going to get from each level? Besides yogui, that is.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

ft029 wrote: 7 years ago Uhh, yogui made the level with all the moons in it? Most people found it charming and fun.
morsel/morceau wrote: 7 years ago I suppose if ASPE was too hard, this one's too easy, but is probably a better match for the latter-day crotchety cow. There is one ASPE-painful level that I recall (of course, it may not be as infuriating for some one else)

yes, the mole level

I honestly think the

yoshi diet

and

sadistic vip2 castle

were harder.
I kept failing at the same jump and it got into my head, man. The

vip

level shouldn't be too hard if you've played over all the

vips

twice a year for ten years or so.
dont wanna jihad no more
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

All the puzzles in that level were pretty neat.
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Never knew you could carry an item while on Yoshi like that. That's pretty great.
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Post by Kshaard »

So this is (possibly; can't quite remember) the level that broke me on my playthrough.

Well, don't I feel silly now!

The second half, I thought you had to pull off a really precise jump, to throw your first yoshi on to the second platform for some reason I can't quite remember. That way, the yellow yoshi at the end would turn into a 1-up, letting you get the mushroom and keep the previous yoshi somehow. So you would take the star yourself, and try not to kill too many of the bats with your invincibility.

In other words, what on earth was I thinking? And I got right to the end, too, so I can't quite believe I didn't actually finish the level after all that. On second thoughts, I probably did finish this level, and it was the next one that broke me. Whatever; I'll know tomorrow.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

S.N.N. wrote: 7 years ago Never knew you could carry an item while on Yoshi like that. That's pretty great.
Yeah where the hell did that come from? He did it as casually as double grabbing and yet I'm not sure I've ever heard of it before today.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man the first time I did this was WAYYYYYYY back in my original Google Video run of Super Challenge World.

It's just not something you 'have' to do very often.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

First of it's kind that I have ever seen as well. Surprised you could remember something like that so far back.

Mario carrying a Key while riding Yoshi actually looks pretty cool. Swap that Key for a sword, and Mario becomes a Knight!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000