(shouting)

test.smc.letsplay

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: test.smc.letsplay

Post by Paragraph »

Damn it, raocow, all you had to do was follow the damn rock!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ryrir wrote: 7 years ago to be fair it's a pretty challenging thing to design - you want the indicators to be obvious enough to avoid cheap deaths, but you don't want them to be too obvious otherwise the whole point of the level is gone

it's only natural that some people are going to notice the hints right away and others will have... a more difficult time with it

the fact that raocow could beat it just by running through everything is probably a good thing too, because it means that it's possible to beat even if you don't notice any of the signs
That's really my point though. The level's really not that badly designed so raocow's claim it's chock full of bad decisions is pretty unfair to it. The most unfair thing would be that trick thwomp near the beginning and I don't think most people are going to complain about that one. Most people will find it funny the first time and easily avoid it after that.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Today was pretty much what-not-to-make-ever level central
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kshaard »

What I want to know is when are we finally going to have test.smc.#.mswmm?
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Kshaard wrote: 7 years ago What I want to know is when are we finally going to have test.smc.#.mswmm?
Still waiting on the .flv and .swf to happen.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

"Back in college they called me Zeus... because I turned into a swan once."

I smirked
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Wait a minute, if the rain falls on a small cube, shouldn't it be blocked all the way to the horizon?
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

yes, because of surface tension
Mosts Awards:
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

The sprite for Mario mine-carting uphill is insanely fucked up, it looks like he's bleeding heavily from his facial orifices.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, could you not have made that jump you kept dying on by just keeping your momentum for a running jump? It's close enough that I'm actually not sure.

Also I think you were overcomplicating the jump after the Yoshi jump. The reason the timing felt off and you had to come up with that alternate way of dealing with it is that you kept pausing after the Yoshi jump which delayed the second mole spawning. If you'd kept going to the edge of the platform then you could have jumped off both moles just fine as appears to be intended.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Alice wrote: 7 years ago raocow, could you not have made that jump you kept dying on by just keeping your momentum for a running jump? It's close enough that I'm actually not sure.
If I recall correctly it's extremely difficult to get running speed on only three tiles. You have to repeatedly land on the very, very edge of the platform multiple times in a row for it to work.
The way I did the jump is by scrolling the screen and jumping off the moles that were falling off the other platform in midair, which also requires some insane timing but ultimately seemed easier to me than what raocow ended up doing.

The mole level is the hardest one of the hack though, so the rest of the game will probably look easy in comparison.
this is getting laundromatic
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

This is probably the closest we will get to raocow LPing Brutal/Kitiku Mario.
Also fireworks, you never see them used in SMW hacks (for obvious reasons though).

YI speed Monty Mole bouncing is not something you usually see, but that makes it more interesting.

Oh man VIP castle, I'm looking forward to that.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

The VIP castle was very annoying for me because the fast autoscroll was extremely finnicky. That is bad because there's two long autoscrollers before the fast autoscroll.

I know that raocow is experienced with the VIPs, so it might be easier on him.

For the fast boomerang bullets: The fast bullet jump in the first half drained a ton of my lives. I always tried to make it go left and then boomerang back. I tried to bounce on the boomerang, but that's hard.
Mosts Awards:
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Bullet jumping: not even once.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

The kaizo version is available, if you want to try it jump and press up at the start. It's totally optionnal and I don't recommend it.
Sounds fun.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

ft029 wrote: 7 years ago The VIP castle was very annoying for me because the fast autoscroll was extremely finnicky. That is bad because there's two long autoscrollers before the fast autoscroll.
The original version is 1000x worse, so be glad you played this one haha

It's honestly a very a good remake - it keeps enough of the original layout of the level to be easily recognizable, but still has a lot of originality and creativity behind it. It basically keeps the good parts of the original level intact while redesigning the bad parts.

Here & Here are the videos of raocow's playthrough of the original level, if anyone is interested
this is getting laundromatic
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

this game is pretty dang alright

this is my final verdict.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I disapprove of calling yogui's level 'better' than the level it was based on. It is unlikely that the VIP author was trying to make a level that any one could manage to muddle through in 20 or so minutes. Comparisons are odious.
dont wanna jihad no more
Le Neveu de Rameau

Contrasts, by contrast, are garfieldian.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

The "Tunnel of Love" is much more forgiving in this version. It might even be possible to sight read it (without having to get lucky) if you're fast.

This version of the level looks a lot more fun to play. Although I'm not even sure how the first area differs meaningfully from the original.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

[extremely jon arbuckle voice] gar field.... im dying... i feel light penetrate my every orifice...

also this hack is alright
Le Neveu de Rameau

So. These levels were not, perhaps, representative of yogui's best work, but that's why they were in this misc. compilation, after all. Still, it was an amusing diversion nonetheless, and I do not regret welcoming its light to illuminate our assorted orifices for a brief, reflective moment. And who would have suspected that yogui would turn out to be a gigantic, ravenous Cheep-cheep all along? All of us, that's who. Every last one of us.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

It's nice seeing a hack that doesn't end up with lots of single level videos, it feels like it's been quite a while since the last one. I guess that's part of the benifit of playing a one person thing, there's no people competing to see whose level is the most time consuming to play.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

tirakai wrote: 7 years ago It's nice seeing a hack that doesn't end up with lots of single level videos, it feels like it's been quite a while since the last one. I guess that's part of the benifit of playing a one person thing, there's no people competing to see whose level is the most time consuming to play.
Yeah contest/compilation hacks are starting to get a bit cumbersome sometimes. Everyone wants to be the masterstroke giant level that redefines Mario world.

Like just make a romp dude it's fine no ones gonna complain if it feels like a real Mario World level.

Although the alternative is SMBX and man.

Man.

That engine and that games style and general look (and the giant empty screen) all just rub me the wrong way.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride: