(shouting)

GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - FINALES - Vs Mr. Dark

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - FINALES - Vs Mr. Dark

Post by QubicTom »

By total coincidence, GenesisJames (known as Louiejub here on the talkhaus) and I were both planning to start Rayman Let's Plays on the exact same day! So we've decided to make this Rayman Hub thread to contain all the discussion in one convenient place! :D

Rayman is a colourful 2D platformer for the PlayStation that starts out happy and cheerful, then quickly becomes Nintendo Hard. I know more people who have quit the game in rage than have beaten it! Can we rescue all the Electoons from the evil Mr. Dark before the game controller smashes against the wall? Tune in to find out!

QubicTom's LP ------------------------------- | ------------------------- Louiejub's LP
Ep0 - Opening Cutscenes ------------------- |
Ep1 - Dancing Daisies and Pink Mosquitoes | Ep1 - Humble Beginnings
Ep2 - Electric Eyes and Instrumentals | Ep2 - Not So Humbling
Ep3 - Sneezing Trumpets and Sour Notes | Ep3 - Straight Jammin'
Ep4 - Spiky Fruit and Throwing Hoops | Ep4 - Percussion Precaution
Ep5 - Aurora Curtains and Ticklish Golems | Ep5 - Feeling Blue
Ep6 - Rockin' Tunes and Hidden Triggers |Ep6 - Ready to Rock
Ep7 - Hair Chopper and Mr. Stone | Ep7 - Eraser Chaser
Ep8 - Zen Platforming and Mr. Sax | Ep8 - Draw Me A River
Ep9 - Art Supplies and Space Pirates | Ep9 - Washing Machines... IN SPACE
Ep10 - Spilled Ink and Spike Tunnels |Ep10 - Ray Cave and the Bad Bees
Ep11 - Alarm Clocks and Space Mama | Ep11 - Fast Food Fun
Ep12 - Treasure Chests and Homing Missiles | Ep12 - Cleanup Time!
Ep13 - Joe's Diner has Electrical Problems | Ep13 - I DARE YOU [FINALE]
Ep14 - Last Cages and Mr. Skops |
Ep15 FINAL - Candy Land and Mr. Dark
Last edited by QubicTom 7 years ago, edited 22 times in total.
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: GenisisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman!

Post by Kshaard »

Found a Rayman disc in the wild just now so I can play along with this series! All I need now is a PS1 so I can actually play it :P
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Oh hey! That's pretty cool. Can't wait to see both your plays.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Man, was the original really this slow?

Origins and Legends are way faster, even without running.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I've started playing it. I managed to do the classic expert computer user and emulator veteran trick of using a savestate to save progress and then overwriting it the next time I loaded the game. It's quite good fun just now, except for the

rotating platform voyage

. It's a bit scary having limited lives, and I feel like I have to optimize my performance on each level. I really like the gimmicky levels (some of them would be great ported to smw). It does suck, though, having to beat the whole level again when finding the cages: What happens if I don't free all the little people?
dont wanna jihad no more
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Kshaard wrote: 7 years ago Found a Rayman disc in the wild just now so I can play along with this series! All I need now is a PS1 so I can actually play it :P
It works well on epsxe (which can read the PS1 discs!)
RedMageMike wrote: 7 years ago Oh hey! That's pretty cool. Can't wait to see both your plays.
Everyone should go subscribe to GensisJames, the commentary is really pleasant to listen to. I'd recommend his Spyro the Dragon LP as a first watch. I'm looking forward to seeing how our experiences differ, but I will play ahead of his videos so nothing becomes too easy for me!
Grounder wrote: 7 years ago Man, was the original really this slow?
Yep! I'll explain in tomorrow's video why I'm going straight into Band Land instead of completing The Dream Forest.

I'm going to get the running ability and maybe the helicopter ability, then start backtracking. This is the speedrunning route, just to do something different!

morsel/morceau wrote: It does suck, though, having to beat the whole level again when finding the cages: What happens if I don't free all the little people?
Please don't use save states, the game is famous for its limited lives, so suffer for the full experience :D You might now understand why I call certain obstacles in my LPs "Rayman platforming"! So I think you should find out for yourself what happens if you don't get all the cages, but I'll put the answer in a spoiler:

You can't access the final world without 100% of the cages! So you can only beat this game with 100% completion!

🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Yep, I'm subbed to GenesisJames (btw you might wanna fix that typo in the topic title). His LPs are very underappreciated.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Episodes One

Post by GenesisJames »

Aaahhhh thank you for the love ;-;

But yes, it seems QubicTom and I are planning on going through this game a bit differently. I'm basically going to be completing each world as I go, getting whatever cages I can, and do a cleanup video or two at the end to get the cages that I missed. He seems to be getting some necessary abilities first and then coming back to finish the worlds. Should be interesting to see how this goes!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

RedMageMike wrote: 7 years ago btw you might wanna fix that typo in the topic title
Oops, thank you for pointing that out, that's fixed now!
Louiejub wrote: 7 years ago QubicTom and I are planning on going through this game a bit differently. I'm basically going to be completing each world as I go, getting whatever cages I can, and do a cleanup video or two at the end to get the cages that I missed. He seems to be getting some necessary abilities first and then coming back to finish the worlds. Should be interesting to see how this goes!
I had chosen to take the speedrunning route.... except I messed up, I was supposed to rush to the end of Dream Forest world for the upgrade (skipping the cages), then take the route I was thinking of! (which involves backtracking later with all of the upgrades). We are already having very different experiences :D

Episode 2 is out! And remember to come back tonight for James's counterpart! :)
Ep2 - Electric Eyes and Instrumentals
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

My second episode is out now, if you want to take a look~
GenesisJames

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Second Episodes Are Out!

Post by GenesisJames »

Whelp, I was planning on Episode 3 coming out tomorrow, but I guess some scheduling issues happened, so it's out now! Get on that, if you want!
Grounder

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Third Episodes Are Out!

Post by Grounder »

theyre called antitoons
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Third Episodes Are Out!

Post by QubicTom »

Grounder wrote: 7 years ago theyre called antitoons
Yeah, sorry about that, I had forgotten their names but this is corrected in an upcoming episode! I also misspelled "spiky" as "spikey" in the episode title. I've made too many mistakes today...!

I never posted today's episode, so here it is:
Ep4 - Spiky Fruit and Throwing Hoops

Looking forward to Louiejub's episode later today. We're only at the start of the game but we're already having different experiences. The next four episodes of my series are already uploaded to YouTube, so if anyone wants early access just PM me for the links!

Update: GenesisJames continues his trip through Band Land! Ep4 - Percussion Precaution
GenesisJames

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Both Ep4s are out!

Post by GenesisJames »

Episode 4 is out ohhh mannnnn
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Loving it so far. There's a neat difference in styles that keeps it fresh even watching the same levels twice. I think taking different routes also helped.
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

RedMageMike wrote: 7 years ago Loving it so far. There's a neat difference in styles that keeps it fresh even watching the same levels twice. I think taking different routes also helped.
Agreed! It's cool to see how many different experiences people can have when playing this game.

On a side note, Episode 5 came out today!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Fifth Episodes Await!

Post by QubicTom »

The music can be pretty good in this game! James and I, in spite of taking different routes, are going to be doing the same levels for the next few days. Spoiler for a future episode:

Somewhere in Picture City I lose all my lives. Yup.

Ep6 - Rockin' Tunes and Hidden Triggers
GenesisJames

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Sixth Episodes are here!!

Post by GenesisJames »

Episode 6 is out!!1!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Two Episode Sevens?!?!

Post by QubicTom »

777?! Se7en? I'm in the last level of Blue Mountain, meanwhile GenesisJames powers ahead into Picture City!
Ep7 - Hair Chopper and Mr. Stone | Ep7 - Eraser Chaser
GenesisJames

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Ep9s - Both Space Mama Fights!

Post by GenesisJames »

Might not be able to upload for a while. Been having some computer issues regarding connecting to the Internet. Definitely not tomorrow; not sure how long that will last. Very sorry!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Ep9s - Both Space Mama Fights!

Post by QubicTom »

Louiejub wrote: 7 years ago Might not be able to upload for a while. Been having some computer issues regarding connecting to the Internet. Definitely not tomorrow; not sure how long that will last. Very sorry!
Has there been any progress in solving the problem? Is it a local hardware issue, or something with the ISP? I've released my next two episodes, which means I've now caught up with you in terms of levels, but I can delay further releases until you're back up and running if you'd like!
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

QubicTom wrote: 7 years ago
Louiejub wrote: 7 years ago Might not be able to upload for a while. Been having some computer issues regarding connecting to the Internet. Definitely not tomorrow; not sure how long that will last. Very sorry!
Has there been any progress in solving the problem? Is it a local hardware issue, or something with the ISP? I've released my next two episodes, which means I've now caught up with you in terms of levels, but I can delay further releases until you're back up and running if you'd like!
Seems to be working so far! I'm gonna record some episodes today, so they should start going up tomorrow!
GenesisJames

Re: GenesisJames (Louiejub) and QubicTom Play Rayman! - Ep10 and Ep11 - Game Over(s)

Post by GenesisJames »

Sorry for the wait! My Episode 10 is out. Cave of Skops time!!!