(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Using my advanced powers of observation and deduction, I've come to the conclusion that raocow is probably going to play Super ASPE Mario for his next a-side.

ASPE Mario is an SMW romhack created by around 20 members of the Japanese hacking community. They organized themselves over twitter, and they even got some of the more well known members of the community (including the likes of Anikiti or Sui) to donate some levels.
The game itself contains 53 exits and spans over four worlds, but because of its steep difficulty curve this project might take longer than you'd think.
The hack seems to be inspired by the more "oldschool" of Japanese romhacks, which means that there are a lot of gimmick levels, some of which are very creative and that I've never seen before. However, as tends to be the case with these type of games, there are a couple of rage-inducing, bad levels in the project as well - but (at least in my opinion), the rest of hack more than makes up for it.
You can think of it like one of the later VIP hacks, if they ditched any and all of their vanilla levels and only kept the crazy gimmicky ones.

You can download the hack HERE, and find an English translation HERE. If you're wondering where some of the custom music is originally from, check out GlitchMr's post HERE!

(Helpful Tip: There's a lifefarm in 1-1 that works very similar to the one in VIP2. I can't quite shake the feeling that it's not an oversight either...)

1 - atheris nitschei
  • Lakeshore Trail
  • The Valley Where the Ghosts Reside
2 - Vipera aspis
  • Book House
  • This Stage
3 - four-lined
  • EXPRESS
  • Boing Boing Sweets!
  • Akarin!
4 - cottonmouth
  • R Lake
  • Submerged Castle
5 - banded water
  • Inverted Castle
  • Flooded Hiking
6 - undulated pit
  • Watch Out! Underground Exploration
7a - sahara rock / 7b - cape mountain
  • Summit of the Gods
8 - St. Nicholas ground boa
  • Switching Factory
  • The Great Christmas Mission!?
9 - hog-nosed rattler
  • THE SKY
  • I Bought New Support Beams!
10 - rainbow boa
  • Rainy Mountain
11 - lycodon capucinus
  • Recycling
12 - monocled cobra
  • Recycling [Dragon Coins]
  • The Castle of Ice!
13 - Crotalus oreganus abyssus
  • Wanna Dance Yosakoi?
14 - snorkel viper
  • Examination! Underground Water Pulse
  • The Cave of Many Slopes
15 - centralian carpet
  • Rape Is A Crime, No Good, Absolutely
16 - PARADISE FLYING
  • MARIO PAINT
  • MY DONUTS
17 - brazilian three-lined centipede
  • "It's Too Heavy!" Athletic
  • Storage
18 - charina bottae
  • The Forest of the Baby Yoshies
19 - nidi mapila
  • Voltic Tower
  • SUPER ASPE WORLD
20 - bitis peringueyi
  • PHANTOM OF MIRROR
21 - dusty hognose
  • Now Mario, Disappear!
  • Good Thing You Didn't Press It!
22 - marbled cat-eye
  • The ??? Computer
  • ⊂二二二「Garigari-Kun」
23 - chappell island
  • Sorry
24 - bushmasters
  • FRONT DOOR
    • Megaspike Room
    • Elevator Room
    • Plant Room
    • Boss
25 - reticulated
  • FRONT DOOR
    • Warp-Around Room
    • Pipe Room
    • Fire Room
    • Doll Room
26 - FWC
  • Hurry, Hurry! Run, Run!
  • Sorry [Dragon Coin Reward]
  • Interstellar Flight
27 - horseshoe pit
  • ( ^ω^ )detteiu lololololol
28a - boomslang / 28b - FINAL - demon night
  • Boo Trick
Last edited by Ryrir 6 years ago, edited 70 times in total.
this is getting laundromatic
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Prequel Edition

Post by idol »

my boy leomon comes through
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Piquant Edition

Post by Ryrir »

And so it begins! I really like this hack, even though it can be pretty frustrating at times. You're probably right that it's not really like the VIPs and more in the style of yeah! or :P :P :P or something

1-2 is an obvious Anikiti level. Kind of funny how their design is so distinctive that you can recognize it pretty well even in a collab hack like this.
I believe the reason why there are so many yellow switch blocks in the level is because you're encouraged to go on the dragon coin hunt after you got the yellow switch. It's probably something like "if you want an easier time with it you can come back later, but if you want it now you'll have to work for it" which is a pretty legit design decision I think.

Friendly reminder that there's a life farm in 1-1! It works exactly like in VIP2,

you throw a shell in the two tile gap between pipe and wall at the first water pond

Tomorrow might go either really, really well or really, really badly! Good times!

also bush vipers are pretty rad
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

So did the first level just summarize 4 worlds and the second one is world 5?

This hack looks like it prefers custom graphics that really clash with everything else.

Do the Yoshi Coins do anything? If they do, then I really question using vanilla Yoshi Coins that don't save at a checkpoint (pretty sure something similar to Yoshi Coins/Star Coins existed in 2014).

Second level was fine until the second part. I don't know why people would ever use vanilla 'fishing fish guy', this hack doesn't try to feel vanilla so why couldn't it use a custom sprite that acts better?

Well let's see how other levels will look.

Also what's with japanese hackers not disabling fading and not knowing the background tiles can use different palettes than 0 and 1 so the status bar looks normal (this really makes it feel like VIP though)?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I'm surprised raocow didn't recognize the author of Super Marina World nor Anikiti in this first video. Mostly the authors will be more obscure from now.

I enjoyed this hack quite a bit when I played it. I did not try to collect the dragon coins, so I have no idea how annoying it will be (looking forward to seeing exactly how annoying). There are a very few iffy levels, one of which I remember is tomorrow's ghost house!
dont wanna jihad no more
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

What's up with the game freezing for a second when you die?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

no idea! it does that while I'm playing. it also freezes just before getting the goal at the end
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

It probably has something to do with loading music. When I used Addmusic K there was a pause between each music change in the Bowser fight, so I suppose it's something similar.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

This is definitely feeling like VIP so far. I laughed pretty hard when raocow got trapped below the Big Boo and then glitch deathed into the wall for good measure. I probably won't play through this one because I'm already following along with Tom's A2MT LP.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

good difficulty curve... oh boy.
Mosts Awards:
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

hoping this hack gets a bit better later on, this wasn't an amazing start. the first level wasn't offensive aside from the odd ground tileset but the second one was an enormous jump in difficulty, which seems odd considering this was a collab. anikiti must have been really dead set on that being the second level

also i knew the second level was made by anikiti as soon as i saw the smb3 inspired tileset
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Palaeography Edition

Post by Ryrir »

And raocow beat the rest of the harder world one stages with not too much trouble. That went pretty well actually! The rest of world one should be easier than what you've played today.

The reason morsel and I warned you about the ghost house is because the effects of the books are completely randomized every time you reenter the level. I still believe that it's actually a pretty neat gimmick, because it leaves it up to the player whether or not to engage with a book. It becomes problematic when you actually require a specific effect for an exit though - there are only five books that are close enough to the secret exit to get there on time, so once you've checked all five of these books and they didn't have it you're forced to restart. It all depends on the RNG so you can get it first try or be stuck on this level for 15min trying to get the stupid p-switch effect.
I can see why the author would choose to hide the secret exit this way, because it forces the player to actually engage with the gimmick instead of rushing past the books and never reading any of them. I still believe the execution is pretty flawed though, because five books are just too few (I believe there are nine different effects that you can get, so your chance of getting the secret exit is just over one in two). If there were just a few more books in the area around the path to the secret exit it would be a lot more reasonable.
The effect that raocow thought didn't do anything gave him five coins. If you get the shrink effect while you're already small, you lose a life instead. I don't know what happens if you get it when you only have one life left though...

The area behind the goal in "this stage" just has more coins and a moon, so raocow didn't miss anything too important.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I'm fine with the secret exit chance being just over a one in two shot. Those are pretty good odds. (also, I noticed there were no repeating effects, so the chances might be even higher...)

Anyways, I'm really liking this ROMhack so far. It's pretty much got everything I look for in a platformer; action, a sense of uniqueness, and so far, you always know which path moves you forward. And no power-up starvation, either. Basically a fun time for all.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

With 5 books and 9 effects, assuming effects can repeat, the chance of getting 1 specific effect in those 5 books is 100% minus the chance that all 5 books don't give you the effect you need. That's 1 - (8/9)^5, or 44.51%.

With 5 books and 9 effects, where effects can't repeat, the chance of getting 1 specific effect in those 5 books is, again, 100% minus the chance that all 5 books don't give you the effect you need. But this time it's a better chance because there are fewer possible "losing" permutations, as books can't repeat. Comes out to 1 - ((8/9)*(7/8)*(6/7)*(5/6)*(4/5)), or 55.56%.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

hanayamata wrote:If this is interesting I will continue.
If you have the time, please do!
Reading developer commentary is always super interesting! Thank you for stopping by
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

oh wow, thank you so much about this, please do continue !
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Cool! What brought you here?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Nao
Pronouns: he

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Punctuality Edition

Post by Nao »

Interesting to see who made the levels.
I wonder if these hackers have made hacks of their own? kona made Super Marina World, Anikiti made the Luigi's Adventure series etc, but the other two? From asutoro I could only find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WmCk9k9DXc , and I couldn't find anything that waai made.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Switch blocks are weird in this game. There are basically two different types of them: One with a white exclamation mark, and the ones with a black exclamation mark.

The standard ones with a white exclamation mark always give you an item. The yellow and the green blocks give you the standard mushroom/feather, but the red one gives you a fireflower and the blue one a poison mushroom as well.

Switch blocks with a black exclamation mark act like a solid cement block, no matter which color they are.

There's no way to tell whether an outline is going to be filled in with a regular switchblock or a "black exclamation mark" one when you hit a switch palace.

On top of that, there are also the "reversed" switchblocks that raocow was talking about in today's video: Both regular switch blocks and black exclamation mark switch blocks that are solid even though you haven't hit their switch yet will turn back into outlines once you've actually pressed their switch.

It sounds pretty complicated now, but when you're playing the hack it starts to make more sense as you go along. It's actually a pretty well thought out system.

I guess the "Akarin!" level today tried to serve as an introduction to these different types of switch blocks, but since raocow just kind of breezed through it was all kind of lost on him haha

You could have gotten the secret exit even without flying by bouncing on the bonzai bills.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Is it possible in this hack to revisit a switch palace to "un-press" its switch after it's been pressed?
raocow

Post by raocow »

oh man there's a bunch of japanese comments in the comments!
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Voltgloss wrote:Is it possible in this hack to revisit a switch palace to "un-press" its switch after it's been pressed?
Nope
raocow wrote:oh man there's a bunch of japanese comments in the comments!
I'm like 95% sure those are just yuru yuri memes haha