(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

Post by Voltgloss »

thank goodness that's over
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

This is the boss battle where raocow's tendency to hesitate when given an opening, then get impatient and go for it when there's no opening, is coming back to haunt him (no pun intended).

It was fun to watch, I probably had more fun watching it than I would playing it.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

What were the pink eeries even supposed to do? raocow never tried spinjumping on them so we don't know if that's what the change signifies but there seems to be no visible difference between them and the normal ones other than color.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it got edited out but I tried to spinjump on a pink eerie and I died. NOTE - I don't know if it's because it was pink or because it was halfway through the floor.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

SAJewers wrote: 7 years ago also, Yogui's hack beat out

an SMBX Episode by Darkonious

and

re-playing Rise to the Challenge

didnt raocow say he was gonna check out cldc entries at one point too lol
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote: 7 years agoit got edited out but I tried to spinjump on a pink eerie and I died. NOTE - I don't know if it's because it was pink or because it was halfway through the floor.
I mean to be fair to you it'd be kinda difficult to spinjump on one on purpose anyways. The fight's way too cramped to reliably pull that off without dedicating an entire life only to accomplishing that, lol. I figured that was probably it though. Could've been communicated a bit better.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Eh, I still liked this hack very much. There are something like four levels that are absolutely painful, but since I had a lot of fun playing the rest of the hack I would say that overall it was still a good experience in my book. It's too bad that it ended up so unpolished, I really think a lot of the issues the hack had could have been easily sorted out by a more thorough testing phase. Especially the complete lack of powerups in some levels was an issue that could have been fixed with next to no effort, and it would have made levels like "Underground Exploration" and "Mario Paint" a lot more fun to play.

I think the main reason I liked it so much is because I'm becoming more and more bored with some of the regular stuff that gets released: If I have a choice between a highly polished, but ultimately kinda boring level and an unpolished but interesting one, I'll always choose the latter. I can imagine that that wouldn't be the case for the majority of mario players though

I'm not saying that ASPE is one of the best hacks I've ever played, but it brought something new and unique to the table with almost every single level, so I can't help but like it despite its flaws.

Thanks for making, hanayamata and the other peeps over in Japan, and thanks for playing raocow!
this is getting laundromatic
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

This hack had some really creative and super fun ideas. They're mixed in with some really painful ideas as well, but oh well. I'll still miss this hack.

Also, I very much enjoyed the editing direction raocow took with the last video. It's the same boss for like 28 minutes (more than twice as long as it probably would have been), but it's filled with genuinely entertaining raocow banter and ramblings throughout the whole thing. I'm also impressed for how long raocow managed to go through it while still maintaining a good mood and humor, only really getting frustrated towards the end. Kudos, I guess?
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Post by Kshaard »

Kapus wrote: 7 years ago I'm also impressed for how long raocow managed to go through it while still maintaining a good mood and humor, only really getting frustrated towards the end.
Like, I know correlation doesn't imply causation and all, but it seemed to me that he only got at all frustrated after he had to life farm. I guess the tedium of life farming really takes it out of you. Really, difficult hacks should never include a life system as you'll just end up farming constantly anyway.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."