(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Paranormal Edition

Post by Mata Hari »

Ryrir wrote: 7 years agoThe gambled switch block graphics are unfortunate though

Gambled? Scrambled?

Did they actually function as switch blocks?
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Mata Hari wrote: 7 years ago
Ryrir wrote: 7 years agoThe gambled switch block graphics are unfortunate though

Gambled? Scrambled?

Did they actually function as switch blocks?
yeah that's what I meant lol

And yes, they act like normal switch blocks, so if you restart from the midpoint and don't have a cape, well...
this is getting laundromatic
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

nope, never realised about the 'only invisible while holding the run button' thing. Proof that I hold the run button at ALL TIME.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I've been giving this hack grief for all the visibility gimmicks, and yes today's first level is yet another example of such; but I do agree that today's first level is actually a visibility gimmick done *right*. The key difference being that there is player control over the gimmick - let go of run and you have vision; hold it down and you don't. Similar to how Sturg's SMBX Double Vision level gives control over the gimmick. That raocow didn't realize how to control the gimmick is neither the hack's fault (because it gives instructions) nor raocow's (because I'm sure he's not alone in holding run all the time - I know I do as well).
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

*garbled graphics

Interesting how the level is still quite fair even holding run all the time.
Mosts Awards:
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Popsicle Edition

Post by Ryrir »

The trick to the brown layer 2 smashers is to take your time. As long as you're not rushing and advance slowly (one smasher cycle at a time), it will always only go down to the right of Mario. The only instance where it will come down in the middle of the screen is when you cover "too much ground" in between the cycles.

It does make the level a lot slower because you constantly have to wait for the smasher to come down, but because of the fast-paced first half and because the section is super short I personally didn't mind too much
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

So another limited invisibility level, huh. Well at least in this one you could stay in place or just walk to see Mario and it's even beatable without being able to see Mario as raocow showed. It's pretty obvious that this level was made by the creator of EXPRESS by looking at the graphics (the SMW bonus background with Yoshi's Island message box drawings looks rather neat though). Garbled map16 tiles.

A level that you can beat instantly if you didn't get the Switches, huh, so that''s why you can't reverse the Swicthes I suppose, and you can't get the Yoshi Coins that way.

That castle felt like carol made it, it had simple design and custom sprites (and
the confusing ledge graphics too), and it even had a carol esque custom boss sprite.

The second castle has the best background I've ever seen. The sand mkaes Mario move slower and unable to jump very high, but it looks like even jumping up two tiles high, which is required seems hard. That second part had a random smasher and layer 2 that made the grinder move faster to Mario from behind, which is interesting, but the smasher I think shouldn't have been there.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Can't say I woke up this morning expecting to be disturbed by a popsicle-eating mascot with an enormous red mouth, but that's exactly what happened.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

For some reason, those Battle Network platforms don't really look semi-solid to me.

Also, raocow is now selling out and putting product placement in his videos, shame on him. :P
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

the two castles looked great, though the sand level looked a bit annoying. never been fond of levels that take away certain abilities, or ones that have things that make your jumps worse (not sure what that's called). also i agree with raocow that those battle network platforms totally looked semi-solid what was up with that
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

The music port on the MMBN stage could've been better (I -think- that's the MMBN3 version but it's very honky trumpets), but it was at least a cute idea. One of my favorite series and a shame it's dead. I like Bowser's wallpaper. LUDWIG.EXE is a neat boss but I think the stage's powerups are a bit spread out and it could've given you one when you respawn at the boss.

Popsicle level sure was weird. I like the fast grinders, even if they kinda catch you off guard. They're silly looking. Not the kinda level I would do since I'm not the biggest fan of messing with player jumps or speed but it had a well defined gimmick it stuck to and I can appreciate that. I think the smasher was unnecessary, the layer 2 messing with the grinders was enough in my opinion.
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Planetary Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Today's level is one of the best of the hack in my opinion. I don't know, it just feels good to play!

In case raocow reads this before recording the next episode: There's a message on the "The End" screen at the end of the credits that might refer to the hidden dragon coin reward? I honestly have no idea what it says, but it probably makes sense to watch/fast forward the credits to the very end so that peeps in the youtube comments can translate it or something

Also there's one single room in Bowser's castle that is ridiculously hard for the wrong reasons. You have a choice which ones you play though
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

just got done with a two hour recording session, not sure if I should split it into two videos yet
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

raocow wrote: just got done with a two hour recording session, not sure if I should split it into two videos yet
Yes but make video 2 the B-side.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Sorry for making one of the best levels in the hack, I'm such a terrible person.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Ometeotl wrote: 7 years ago
raocow wrote: just got done with a two hour recording session, not sure if I should split it into two videos yet
Yes but make video 2 the B-side.
I wouldn't suggest this since he *just* started MegaMari.
Giik

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Phanto Edition

Post by Giik »

...This is the first thing I thought of when I heard the post-credits music start. It's strangely fitting.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

I'm not sure if I prefer the as-presented ending song or the "real" one:

This has been my yearly self-promotion.
fart.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Duker wrote: 7 years ago I'm not sure if I prefer the as-presented ending song or the "real" one:

This has been my yearly self-promotion.
This is not meant for mortal ears. You do not know what you are reckoning with.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Precarious Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Yeah the wooden doll room is pretty dumb and also impossible to complete without a cape because you just get smushed by the fast layer two and there's nothing you can do about it
I really liked the smb3 pipe room with the pink lava though, that kind of level design appeals to me

The four star world levels are all pretty cool, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

Going through the star world backwards is a terrible idea though, because the very last level is super awesome and ends with an extremely climactic boss, but the first level is just kind of there

(the april fools joke going on here is bothering me more than it should lol)