(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Parorexia Edition

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Today's level was really neat. Having to keep feeding Yoshi just so he won't eat Mario (which is hilarious) is a pretty interesting idea and the secret exit was pretty clever.

Can someone explain how does the Fire Baby Yoshi work, because I didn't play this hack up to that point?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I haven't really cared much for this hack so far (lots of poor design decisions), but I can't help but love today's level. It may have been a bit finicky, but it was seriously creative - especially that secret exit.
Super Maks 64 wrote: 7 years agoCan someone explain how does the Fire Baby Yoshi work, because I didn't play this hack up to that point?
This is a shot in the dark based on simply watching the video, but it looked like each time the Yoshi ate something, it would shoot a fireball shortly afterwards. I'm not sure if there was a button prompt. Ryrir or someone else who knows the hack well can probably provide more details.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

indeed there is no button prompt, it's strictly 'yoshi eats a thing, a bit later he throws a fireball'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

S.N.N. wrote: 7 years agoit looked like each time the Yoshi ate something, it would shoot a fireball shortly afterwards.
Yeah, that's exactly it. For every item yoshi eats, he will spit out one fireball shortly afterwards.
It's probably the one element in the level that can cause the most frustration, because most of the time there is only one item to eat before each wall, so if yoshi shoots the fireball in the wrong direction or at an inconvenient hight, you're basically doomed.

Another thing that I don't think raocow realized is that feeding Yoshi a powerup fills his entire meter no matter how drained it is (so it becomes a neat risk/reward thing whether or not you want to keep the powerup for yourself or feed it to Yoshi).
this is getting laundromatic
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Portfolio Edition

Post by Sugar »

SUPER TITLE SCREEN WORLD
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

!!! difficulty warning for tomorrow's level !!!

remember "summit of the gods"? yeah, this level is like that. Except even worse than that because it has dragoncoins on both sides of the midpoint

It also has the exciting "sprites become invisible because of boo rings" bug feature, so get hype for that!

If you find yourself dying all over the place and have no idea what's going on, you might be interested in reading this post I made some days ago?

One hint that I feel like you should have right from the start is to try and pausing the game by pressing the start button. It really was a game changer for me when I figured that one out

Good luck!
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

That level was deliciously trolly.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

what the hell was the second level
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

as people expected, recording time for tomorrow's video is an hour and a half
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

hanayamata wrote: 7 years ago SUPER ASPE WORLD by waai, kona, kokorochan, SIG, nori, 33953YoShI, asutoro
Whoa what? This was a relay level where one person made 2-3 screens of the level and then passed it on to the next person.
I wonder who made those couple of screens where it's just flat ground and a ? spelled out with a dragon coin. heh.
Mosts Awards:
raocow

Post by raocow »

hanayamata wrote: 7 years ago
SUPER ASPE WORLD by waai, kona, kokorochan, SIG, nori, 33953YoShI, asutoro
Whoa what? This was a relay level where one person made 2-3 screens of the level and then passed it on to the next person. I think it turned out pretty interesting because everyone seemed to just have fun with it instead of taking it too seriously.
oh wow that was a relay level? oh man, fascinating, haha. That explains SOME things!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Pyrrhic Edition

Post by Voltgloss »

And the vision gimmicks reach their disheartening final evolution.

Super Mario ASPE: A Sight Preventing Experience
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

level bmud a tahW
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

It's really too bad because this level could have been so much more. If the author had just put this gimmick into a really simple, kind of short vanilla ghost house without any holes and with a few simple sprites that are not all bundled up together, this could have been one of the most impressive levels of the hack.

I can understand using boo clouds because they're the most effective sprite with the mirror gimmick, but putting boo clouds over the "block-boos" with a hole underneath and boo clouds with boos in the middle of them is just inexcusable. As is having severe sprite memory problems and not doing anything about it (and you can't not notice that during testing). The level itself is also way too long.

The gimmick itself isn't what makes the level terrible, what makes the level terrible is combining the gimmick with the level design that it had.

Like raocow said at the end of the video, the rest of world four and the entirety of the star world are on par with world three, so at least the worst really is over now.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

ping, huh? I didn't expect that one

I remember "The Mario" as being pretty fun, although I haven't watched any footage of that hack in years

It's also kind of amazing that a lot of these super oldschool "2005-style" hackers like ping, anikiti, 660, etc are still around and make levels
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

World 3 castle looked like it would be definitely a thing without the switch blocks. Also vertical bathtub section for some reason.

SUPER ASPE WORLD is the title screen level, but I expected it to be in Star World. This was a screen relay, huh, that's pretty neat( reminds me of yet another SMWC collab that's going on). The "Kaizo" section was the weirdest one, it just had invisible blocks that lead to a rather difficult part, but it didn't even have a reward, so you could skip it.

I really think that the mirror gimmick would have worked better if this was a vertical section and the mirror stayed horizontal, because it's really disorienting when you have a horizontal sprite mirror in a horizontal level, if it was vertical, you wouldn't have to pause to know where the sprites are and falling wouldn't be as punishing.

Those Castles on the overworld interest be, does beating one of them unlock a part of the bridge and beating the other finishes it allowing Mario to pass? It's an interesting looking overworld.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness

Post by Kowkarot »

Props to raocow for beating Phantom of Mirror legit and not going insane. I had given up on this level, but watching him gave me hopes and I actually found a way of cheating my way through it using a cape and I could finally get all the dragon coins:

Capes sure are amazing.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Good going Kowkarot.

Vertical section + horizontal mirror: that sounds interesting.
Mosts Awards:
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Paranormal Edition

Post by lolyoshi »

I love how mean-spirited these levels are.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

It's very entertaining to watch, I'll give it that.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Having to keep a shell around if you want to see where you are is a stroke of genious. That way, you're basically at fault yourself if you lose sight of Mario and I think that's a huge difference in how punishing/unfair it feels.
Last edited by Paragraph 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

So, did raocow realize that you were only invisible in the first level if you pressed the run button?

Ultimately it doesn't matter much because you need to carry a shell to the end in both halves of the level, but if you're just going through it normally it's kind of an interesting thing to play around with

The gambled switch block graphics are unfortunate though