(shouting)

SMBX: Mechdragon777 showcase; What a showoff, amirite?

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: SMBX: Mechdragon777 showcase; What a showoff, amirite?

Post by FPzero »

kitikami's advice is very good. Please make sure to read it if you're making more levels in the future.
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

FPzero wrote:kitikami's advice is very good. Please make sure to read it if you're making more levels in the future.
I read it a few hours ago. I appreciate the feedback more than the reviews I actually got on the levels.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Sorry for the double post, but this is about today's level.If raocow asks, I will say here, but otherwise I fully layed the level out on YouTube's comment section. I could also give a full map of this 21 section level if need be. I actually feel sorry for being able to get raocow to not fully get every star. I am very sorry.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

It was actually a nicely succinct level with that amount of stars. Maybe the moon coins would be good to get but it feels just fine as is.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

does getting all the moon coins give a star or something? there is one I just can't find at all, even when looking in the editor.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

If I interpret mechdragon's youtube comment correctly, the third star indeed appears after you get all three mooncoins (he's talking about "the mooncoins and the other two stars")
this is getting laundromatic
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

raocow wrote:does getting all the moon coins give a star or something? there is one I just can't find at all, even when looking in the editor.
Ryrir wrote:If I interpret mechdragon's youtube comment correctly, the third star indeed appears after you get all three mooncoins (he's talking about "the mooncoins and the other two stars")
I said where the moon coins are as well. Which two did you find anyway? (If you looked in the editor, I feel sorry about the 21 sections.)
Moon/Star locations
Edit:
Moon Coins appear in sections 5, 11, and 17.
Stars appear in Sections 1(Yoshi), 2(Power Up combination Puzzle/Fire and Ice), 4, 5(Moon), 15, 16, and 21

My avartar

FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Since we've seen the trend in so many levels I want to ask Mechdragon directly: What inspired you to make so many large, exploratory levels with multiple stars around this time? I know for some people with contests they want to maximize the length of time someone spends with the level in an effort to make it "memorable". Was this the reason for you, or is there some other reason?
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

FPzero wrote:Since we've seen the trend in so many levels I want to ask Mechdragon directly: What inspired you to make so many large, exploratory levels with multiple stars around this time? I know for some people with contests they want to maximize the length of time someone spends with the level in an effort to make it "memorable". Was this the reason for you, or is there some other reason?
CC6: First level and I wanted to make a Puzzle level. It got last place, but I made it in the last eight hours (when I joined the forums officially)
CC7: First chance I have of a full deadline to make a level, so I made a 21 section level. For the longest time, I could never top the score.
CC8: I was inspired by Sednauir's graphical style when he made a special block I loved. Also an airship level in his episode inspired me. Two gimmicks are from that episode. This was originally going to be 6-A(irship) of my episode. I was also running out of time of my internet usage since I was going to be moving soon at this point. ...as a result, the level got cut short. (Drastically short)
CC9: During my no internet period, I decided to make levels for my episode in order. (From my six+ month no internet break, my computer almost got fried.) I got internet for one day and it just so happened to be one of the final days of CC9. I just decided to alter the level to meet the contest rules.
CC10: Seeing Sednauir's CC8 level, I was inspired to make a level like it.
CC11: After playing Metroid Prime 2 100% the week before the contest, All I could think about was the original Sanctuary Fortress. At first, I wanted to recreate as much as I could, but it turned into wanting to figure out what will allow Let's Players to stay the longest. Everything made in the level was done in about a week or two at most. This includes making the Ing Hive tileset. (I only learned you made the original graphics that Silver Deoxys ripped about a week ago.) When the death of my grandmother's dog happened (yes I am deathly scared of them...) I lost everything for a week to two months. I would not say a word out loud either. I would barely even go online... During this time, I barely got enough energy to even remove the boss fight I had planned at the end of the level. It actually angered me when Quill removed the stars in the level...
CC12: I wanted to use Lua to make a fun level that related to my favorite Touhou character at the time. I originally was going to put a danmaku boss at the end, but opted against it. When 2.0 Beta 3 came out with those new NPCs, it broke the level. (This is why there is a 1.3.0.2 and a 2.0 version. It requires those Dummy NPCs that was later turned into a Starman. All but one person considers this my best level. (Also made about a year ago.)

My avartar

MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

FPzero wrote:Since we've seen the trend in so many levels I want to ask Mechdragon directly: What inspired you to make so many large, exploratory levels with multiple stars around this time? I know for some people with contests they want to maximize the length of time someone spends with the level in an effort to make it "memorable". Was this the reason for you, or is there some other reason?
CC6: First level and I wanted to make a Puzzle level. It got last place, but I made it in the last eight hours (when I joined the forums officially)
CC7: First chance I have of a full deadline to make a level, so I made a 21 section level. For the longest time, I could never top the score.
CC8: I was inspired by Sednauir's graphical style when he made a special block I loved. Also an airship level in his episode inspired me. Two gimmicks are from that episode. This was originally going to be 6-A(irship) of my episode. I was also running out of time of my internet usage since I was going to be moving soon at this point. ...as a result, the level got cut short. (Drastically short)
CC9: During my no internet period, I decided to make levels for my episode in order. (From my six+ month no internet break, my computer almost got fried.) I got internet for one day and it just so happened to be one of the final days of CC9. I just decided to alter the level to meet the contest rules.
CC10: Seeing Sednauir's CC8 level, I was inspired to make a level like it.
CC11: After playing Metroid Prime 2 100% the week before the contest, All I could think about was the original Sanctuary Fortress. At first, I wanted to recreate as much as I could, but it turned into wanting to figure out what will allow Let's Players to stay the longest. Everything made in the level was done in about a week or two at most. This includes making the Ing Hive tileset. (I only learned you made the original graphics that Silver Deoxys ripped about a week ago.) When the death of my grandmother's dog happened (yes I am deathly scared of them...) I lost everything for a week to two months. I would not say a word out loud either. I would barely even go online... During this time, I barely got enough energy to even remove the boss fight I had planned at the end of the level. It actually angered me when Quill removed the stars in the level...
CC12: I wanted to use Lua to make a fun level that related to my favorite Touhou character at the time. I originally was going to put a danmaku boss at the end, but opted against it. When 2.0 Beta 3 came out with those new NPCs, it broke the level. (This is why there is a 1.3.0.2 and a 2.0 version. It requires those Dummy NPCs that was later turned into a Starman. All but one person considers this my best level. (Also made about a year ago.)

My avartar

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

To be fair, those types of levels are use usually the M.O. of SMBX levels (though not as many stars)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

SAJewers wrote:
To be fair, those types of levels are use usually the M.O. of SMBX levels (though not as many stars)
M.O.?

My avartar

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
SAJewers wrote:
M.O.?
Modus Operandi. Standard method of working or doing things.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

"Oh, it's not over yet, huh...?" raocow sums up mechdragon
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Here is my video of the level today. I had a different problem of some of the graphics not showing. No idea what happened to raocow.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

So how could the ice level have 7 Stars while being an SMBX CC entry, I thought there was a 2 Star limit?

Thoughts about today's level: It's just my opinion and everyone can have different thouhts about it, but I don't like this level's graphics including enemies, foreground, the lava and the slightly busy background.
Other than that it's design looks solid, it's not a giant maze and the stars aren't that hard to get(though that second Moon Coin is questionable).
What's up with the invincibility, the technical probrlems and two versions of this level?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I think I get what happened. Those stars were meant to be custom npc, which were overridden by new ones on 2.0. raocow should have played this level on 1.3 like I did. Originally those gems turned into platforms when frozen.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so yeah, that's my bad. But here's the thing - the door doesn't open so I didn't know what'up. And the only way I can record 1.3 is using another program that Premiere doesn't like, which means that editing would be difficult, so considering this is a md level I didn't know if the gamble was worth it. So instead on gambled on playing it with 2.0, which now I regret a little :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Willhart wrote:

Here is my video of the level today. I had a different problem of some of the graphics not showing. No idea what happened to raocow.
The reason they did not show for you is because there was no dummy sprite for the NPCs to replace. A square and mask of nothingness would make the custom NPC show up.
Super Maks 64 wrote:So how could the ice level have 7 Stars while being an SMBX CC entry, I thought there was a 2 Star limit?

Thoughts about today's level: It's just my opinion and everyone can have different thouhts about it, but I don't like this level's graphics including enemies, foreground, the lava and the slightly busy background.
Other than that it's design looks solid, it's not a giant maze and the stars aren't that hard to get(though that second Moon Coin is questionable).
What's up with the invincibility, the technical probrlems and two versions of this level?
That two star rule was put into place with CC8. There was a 21 star level in CC3.

My avartar

Money

Post by Money »

Yo if you ever feel lost in how to design concise, focused levels I'd recommend giving this a watch:

It goes over how Nintendo keeps their level design interesting while still feeling cohesive and natural.
I'd also give this in depth examination of every level in SMW a read when you get the chance, it really delves into what the core of Mario gameplay is and how Nintendo explores it.
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

MoneyMan wrote:Yo if you ever feel lost in how to design concise, focused levels I'd recommend giving this a watch:

It goes over how Nintendo keeps their level design interesting while still feeling cohesive and natural.
I'd also give this in depth examination of every level in SMW a read when you get the chance, it really delves into what the core of Mario gameplay is and how Nintendo explores it.
I watched that video before making his birthday present and you will see how it turned out when I did. The bugs are from a two day trimmer, but still.

My avartar

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I watched that video before making his birthday present and you will see how it turned out when I did. The bugs are from a two day trimmer, but still.
What is wrong with you? Stop making gifts for someone else into attention for yourself.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

This is a forum post that happened.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

it's not like mechdragon asks for his levels to be played on camera

that's raocow's decision, so if he wants to LP them he should do so

in fact this entire series is specifically labled "off camera" and it was raocow's decision to play them on camera in the first place
this is getting laundromatic
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

If this LP genuinely upsets you, there are two easy solutions:
1. stop watching the LP
2. get a grip
Ryrir wrote:it's not like mechdragon asks for his levels to be played on camera

that's raocow's decision, so if he wants to LP them he should do so

in fact this entire series is specifically labled "off camera" and it was raocow's decision to play them on camera in the first place
This is a point that I feel has been missed spectacularly, with the caveat that it's still true whatever Mechdragon did. If this is a bad LP, that's not Mechdragon's fault.
Ometeotl wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I watched that video before making his birthday present and you will see how it turned out when I did. The bugs are from a two day trimmer, but still.
What is wrong with you? Stop making gifts for someone else into attention for yourself.
If you wanna attack Mechdragon I would recommend joining the talkhaus discord server, where such activity can occur for hours at a time! But it's not continuing here. This is me with my mod pants on.