(shouting)

Psychonauts - end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Psychonauts - War Driven Narcolepsy

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I'm sure it'll be fine, but I watch knowing fully how often I will yell at my monitor. It will be often. But I've seen worse! Also from raocow. :roll:
Blue

Post by Blue »

tirakai wrote:Why even mention it so early then?
Because I played this game up to the final level over a decade ago so my memory of it isn't the best and I thought for some unfathomable reason it was in the next level that we'd get to by video four or so.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

RedMageMike wrote:raocow made the same mistake I did the first time w/the parking lot thing, mistaking flavour text for a side quest.
I thought the same thing the first time I played. But if you keep examining the bulletin board, you'll get a bunch of info on the various characters. A rather nice little bit of character building.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so just a head's up, I uploaded tomorrow's video and everythign is fine, except for some reason it's only showing the length in the stats as 1 minute 50 seconds. Thing is, when I play the video it plays normally with the normal length. So I'll be checking to make sure it's okay tomorrow when it activates, but if I don't get to it on time for whatever reason, don't be afraid to shout at me in some way and I'll re-upload.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:the thread's sidetracked state is a reflection of raocow's approach to psychonauts' hubworld and ability to get lost on a straight line

speaking of which I wish I had psychic powers with which to remotely beat some sense into him when it comes to things like maps and controls
Grounder wrote:honestly if rao is going to be distracted by absolutely everything he sees i think this lp is gonna be too painful for me to watch

this game does not blend well with his playstyle
I strongly disagree! Wandering aimlessly and exploring the camp between every main mission is the proper way to play. Then, every time you come back, you find a little more -- because you're a little better at platforming, because you have some new powers, and because you're getting to know the layout of the camp better.

In fact, in this game it's a good thing if raocow misses easy collectables here and there. It just means there'll be more stuff there when he re-explores later.

Psychonauts rewards this kind of play a lot. For instance one of the details that makes it so great: every time you advance the main plot, each of the kids' silly stories have advanced too, if you find where they've moved to. (I mean, I don't recommend systematically scouring the camp for every kid between every level. But with the kids you happen to run into, it's a nice way to make re-exploring more interesting).
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

call me crazy, but i have a weird feeling that that butt
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Hint:

Press left on the d-pad to open the item menu.

Press right on the d-pad to open the psychic powers menu (once you have some).

At least, that's how it worked for me, using a 360 controller. Your mileage may vary. :P

But then, I guess you figured that out if there's a video for tomorrow already. :P

Moists:

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Man those bears are scary.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

this gonna be good btw.
Image Image
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

YelseyKing wrote:Hint:

At least, that's how it worked for me, using a 360 controller. Your mileage may vary. :P

But then, I guess you figured that out if there's a video for tomorrow already. :P
I suspect that the artwork for this game works to a disadvantage in this situation, since it was mentioned in a previous video, but the way it was drawn, raocow that it was a "1 button."
One day, an image will return
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

heycallmeZe wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:Hint:

I suspect that the artwork for this game works to a disadvantage in this situation, since it was mentioned in a previous video, but the way it was drawn, raocow that it was a "1 button."
I had some problems with key displays when I played the game, myself, actually. I was using a controller, but all the button prompts on screen were computer keys. Meant there was a lot of trial and error at first figuring out which button corresponded to which key.

Moists:

Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

raocow please talk to everyone multiple times

there is so much amazing dialogue you'll miss if you don't
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

heycallmeZe wrote:I suspect that the artwork for this game works to a disadvantage in this situation, since it was mentioned in a previous video, but the way it was drawn, raocow that it was a "1 button."
He might've figured it out easier though if pressing every button on the controller like he said he was doing actually meant every button. So while it's definitely on the game for not being clear enough, raocow isn't totally faultless either.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

raocow you silly goose, Nein sends you to Cruller in case you haven't already met Cruller. It only seems weird because you met him well ahead of when you were expected to.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
DullahanDodgeman
The Incompetent

Post by DullahanDodgeman »

I do love just how much dialog you can get out of various characters in this game, and how much they can shift around over the course of the story. I remember reading somewhere that there are lines recorded for characters reacting to items that you wouldn't normally be able to show them. There's also an achievement for showing a specific late-game item to a ton of people. It's pretty neat.
Is this the spot where I place my order for a large pizza?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I was curious to see what would happen if you actually got rid of the censors the way that Sasha intended Raz to.

I looked it up and you can't. :(
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Nekoishi wrote:raocow please talk to everyone multiple times

there is so much amazing dialogue you'll miss if you don't
this LP would go on for a year if he did that.
Every item you hold has a line from litterally everyone about it. Sometimes characters you can't even meet at the same time youre holding said item.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Re: Psychonauts - Obsessive-Compulsive Rubix Cube

Post by Kapus »

This has been a lot different from the raocow lps I'm used to. There's a lot more talking from the game and a lot less talking from raocow. If anything, raocow is now a greek chorus to the game's silly story and characterizations. The game's also a lot more sandboxy so some of the episodes have just been kind of meandering.

I'm okay with this. It's a really interesting change to raocow's usual style. Also, since this is a game I'm also unfamiliar with, I kinda share raocow's wonder and discovery with every little thing. Looking forward to a new episode every day! : D

MENTALIS UBER ALLES

Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

dunno if its been mentioned in youtube comments and i dont think so in the thread, but there's an app in itunes for creator commentary on the memory vault slides.

spoilers of future ones obviously.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Hah. I didn't try showing the button to Elka three times, so I never saw that hilarious bit of dialogue. Probably gonna find at least a few more things I missed out on as this LP goes on, as well.

Moists:

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Kinda interesting how this game skipped the traditional beginning parts of "Hero's Journey", those being 'The call to adventure' and 'Supernatural aid'. The game starts at 'Crossing the Threshold' stage, and we don't know what happened before, or anything personal about the hero (Raz), until now.
It's interesting, but I don't really have time to ponder why the devs did it that way (need to sleep).

This sneak peak into Raz's own mind is hopefully a sign of what's to come from the other kid's minds will bring.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blue

Post by Blue »

I'm pretty sure this level is going to wind up as rao's favorite. I think I know what his least favorite will be, too.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blue wrote:I'm pretty sure this level is going to wind up as rao's favorite. I think I know what his least favorite will be, too.
SPOILERS JEEZ

Waterloo World, or Gloria's Theatre? Those tend to be the most maligned, although Milla's Dance Party often provokes control-induced rage, at least the first time. Everyone's hyped for The Milkman Conspiracy, but I already said the stage I'm most interested in seeing raocow react to back on page 1 - Black Velvetopia!
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Usually I'm not a fan of watching gaming videos that have a lot of story. I'm like "screw this I'm on youtube because I want to watch a video, not read a book." But this game seems to be fully voice acted, so the story bits feel more like you're watching a cartoon. I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than most other story-driven game LPs because of that.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Blue wrote:I'm pretty sure this level is going to wind up as rao's favorite. I think I know what his least favorite will be, too.
SPOILERS JEEZ

Waterloo World, or Gloria's Theatre? Those tend to be the most maligned, although Milla's Dance Party often provokes control-induced rage, at least the first time. Everyone's hyped for The Milkman Conspiracy, but I already said the stage I'm most interested in seeing raocow react to back on page 1 - Black Velvetopia!
The one I'm most interested in seeing is...

SPOILER SPACE BECAUSE TALKHAUS IS SLOW AND BUGGY LATELY

...Lungfishopolis. The way I figure it, raocow will either completely embrace his role as a destroyer ("DESTROY THE WORLD!!!"), or he'll spend the whole level apologizing for the casual death and destruction he'll be causing. Either way, I expect him to laugh the whole time.
Last edited by YelseyKing 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Moists: