(shouting)

Psychonauts - end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Money

Re: Psychonauts - Flesh Carnival Schizophrenia

Post by Money »

FYI, apparently the sequel hook is resolved not in the actual sequel, but a VR "inbetweenquel". Originally it wasnt even planned to ever be resolved.

I'm really hoping with the better development tools game developers have at their disposal these days, Psychonauts 2 is a lot more polished and less janky. We have some test footage that can be found on DoubleFine's Youtube, and the engine looks promising. There's also a mini-docuseries on there about the making of Psychonauts. To say that development was troubled is a vast understatement.

I've only played a tiny bit of Psychonauts, but watching raocow's lp, I doubt I'd personally get too much out of it. I still super appreciate it and all the work that went into it tho, and understand why so many people adore it. Here's to Psychonauts 2.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Blue wrote: 7 years ago Oh, man, those janky net jumps. THOSE were what got me to stop playing the ps2 version.

I mean, raocow makes them look frustrating and bad and awkward, and they are, but the ps2 version makes it so much worse. I sort of implied it earlier in the thread, but I wanna make it clear here: Camera, jump physics, and levitation abilities are tied to framerate. The higher framerate you have, the better they are, to the point you can fly infinitely with levitation when you start going above 60 FPS.

In the ps2 version, the entire meat circus suffers from massive framerate issues and slowdown. I remember getting maybe 10-20 FPS during those net jumps, but it was an inconsistent and randomly fluctuating framerate, meaning that the jump physics and controls and camera were changing constantly while I was trying to play.

And, since this wasn't the steam version, every single time you missed a jump and fell into the water, you lost a life, so the few times I successfully got past that mess, I ran out of lives and had to do the whole thing all over again.

This is why you tie physics to delta time and not framerate, kids!
Either tie everything to delta time (so problems just cause choppiness), or everything to framerate (so problems just cause slowdown). Mixing the two causes most problems, I think.
Grounder

Re: Psychonauts - end

Post by Grounder »

A Rhombus of Ruin playthrough.

VR nausea warning!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

MoneyMan wrote: 7 years ago "inbetweenquel"
Interquel. Pretty sure I only know this word because of Kingdom Hearts.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ditocoaf wrote: 7 years ago Either tie everything to delta time (so problems just cause choppiness), or everything to framerate (so problems just cause slowdown). Mixing the two causes most problems, I think.
Inconsistent slowdown will screw with timing on platformers, especially if it's unpredictable.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

gotta say, having watched the whole story again, its kinda grating how much a mary sue Raz ends up being . the girl there immediately wants to kiss him, and every adult spends a good amount of thier time talking about how advanced he is, though at least there's the conflict with his dad-just kidding, there's no conflict at all! And then Raz makes everyone's lives better, including the villian who takes them all away on a cool jet, the end.
Ditocoaf wrote: 7 years ago
Either tie everything to delta time (so problems just cause choppiness), or everything to framerate (so problems just cause slowdown). Mixing the two causes most problems, I think.
and if you tie everything to framerate, you get the wonderful experince kingdom hearts and dark souls have where the hd ports/sequels are on stronger hardware running at a different framerate and whoops, literally everything is broken! And god help you if an old game youre porting was tied to the game system's cpu clockspeed.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Tenlade wrote: 7 years ago gotta say, having watched the whole story again, its kinda grating how much a mary sue Raz ends up being . the girl there immediately wants to kiss him, and every adult spends a good amount of thier time talking about how advanced he is, though at least there's the conflict with his dad-just kidding, there's no conflict at all! And then Raz makes everyone's lives better, including the villian who takes them all away on a cool jet, the end.
Perhaps there were more scenes between the two that raocow missed.

As for Raz's new Psychonaut uniform... I miss the goggles :(

Hope the sequel comes to a Nintendo platform!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blue

Post by Blue »

Tenlade wrote: 7 years ago and if you tie everything to framerate, you get the wonderful experince kingdom hearts and dark souls have where the hd ports/sequels are on stronger hardware running at a different framerate and whoops, literally everything is broken! And god help you if an old game youre porting was tied to the game system's cpu clockspeed.
In defense of Dark Souls, running at 60 and thus going through floors on ladders is from a fan patch.

In condemnation of Dark Souls, they tied fall damage and roll distance to both framerate AND delta time in some truly incomprehensible manner, so you roll shorter distances in Blighttown and take more fall damage. If the game has to suddenly chunkily load a ton of stuff while you're in the middle of a drop, you can take lethal fall damage from a ten-inch fall.