(shouting)

Psychonauts - end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Psychonauts - (DAD) Dairy Anxiety Disorder

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

oh raocow, I love you, and never stop playing the way you do; just be thankful I live on the other side of the atlantic on days like these, when I want to murder you with a brick
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

went wrote:Mix a confusing level with rao's awesome orientation capabilities and you get... this.

Also the road. Follow the yellow road! I mean grey.
While raocow does get lost easily I'm fairly certain this is more a matter of him not really stopping to think about what he's doing before doing it resulting in him repeatedly trying to explore the same exact tiny handful of places. He really should've realized after awhile that he should take a minute or two to try to orient himself and figure out how the level is structured. Even if the houses themselves are basically the same there's always nearby landmarks one can use the help orient themselves. And you can typically see other landmarks off in the distance to help you work out where the landmarks are in relation to each other.

This brings up an idea though. Now I want to see raocow play Miasmata. Maybe that'd help him try to figure out navigation a bit more.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I consulted a guide on one of the puzzles in this world. I was 14 at the time but still...
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

As the game goes on I remember why I don't like it very much.
This level is just the worst.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Oh man, this is bringing back bad memories of my playthrough, where I was convinced some pixel-perfect jump was the intended way forward and I broke sequence and got stuck.
Stink Terios wrote:This level is just the worst.
I strongly disagree. The worst is yet to come.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I'm going to need a drink. A strong drink.

Maybe milk will suffice.
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

The "screaming at the screen" factor with the guy and the secret code and the big textbox that appeared at the start of the video giving him the solution is very strong today.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

You can see raocow's 2D platforming thought process at full force again, his first instinct upon coming across a puzzle is to jump around every corner of the map to attempt to find a hidden thing rather than use the new powerup he just got for that stage.

He came so close too right at the beginning but stopped just short of solving it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

whats a "sue her"?

is it a lock?!?!?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

At this point, all I can think of is how things would turn out if we ever got raocow a Monkey Island game to LP.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Too be fair, I have no idea where rao is supposed to go either.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Sebby19 wrote:Too be fair, I have no idea where rao is supposed to go either.
the sewer?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Are the remaining levels in the game like this?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Voltgloss wrote:Are the remaining levels in the game like this?
less like this, but... there's still some similar adventure-game shenanigans.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

According to a Walkthrough..
He's supposed to:

- Go to the Building with the keypad
- Attempt to use the keypad
- Use Clairvoyance on the person that appears to get the actual code (which is random)
- Input the actual code to enter the building
- Go the bathroom inside that building
- Use Clairvoyance to guide you to the plunger
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Now, now, folks, let's not be so harsh; I'm sure the solution will ultimately prove to be turning invisible and trying to sneak into the post office a few hundred more times.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Now, now, folks, let's not be so harsh; I'm sure the solution will ultimately prove to be turning invisible and trying to sneak into the post office a few hundred more times.
Don't forget that, despite the mechanic being "don't enter the G-Men's restricted areas without the same thing that group is carrying", one of these times they're bound to let you in carrying something else!
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Alice

Post by Alice »

kurt91 wrote:At this point, all I can think of is how things would turn out if we ever got raocow a Monkey Island game to LP.
If he went for Miasmata like I mentioned earlier he'd end up totally lost. One of its primary mechanics is to map out the world using landmarks, otherwise nothing ever gets marked on your map. And at times finding those landmarks takes some real observation skills to actually pick them out from the location you're trying to get mapped out.

Though knowing raocow he'd somehow manage to fail to get all but the most obvious landmarks and blindly stumble his way through the rest of the game instead of doing it properly because that would entail stopping and thinking things through rather than blindly rushing ahead.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Grounder wrote:whats a "sue her"?

is it a lock?!?!?!
Grounder wrote:
the sewer?
He tried, the sewer is guarded by ordinary sewer workers carrying plungers, and he doesn't have a plunger yet.

I think the only thing tripping up raocow right now is the fact that he doesn't tend to use the "use/talk" key on things. If he'd tried that on the keypad, I think he'd figure out the puzzle around it afterward.
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

Alice wrote:Though knowing raocow he'd somehow manage to fail to get all but the most obvious landmarks and blindly stumble his way through the rest of the game instead of doing it properly because that would entail stopping and thinking things through rather than blindly rushing ahead.
Well, what do you expect? He grew up and continues to primarily play platformers, which have the utterly simplest of puzzles. To him, a puzzle should be no more than something in a contained area that can be solved by poking at things around it to get the proper response than to sit still, investigate, backtrack, examining the use of recent powers, etc.

This is not a bad level. The people who complain about this level tend to be terrible at this sort of thing, and that's merely their fault.
One day, an image will return
Alice

Post by Alice »

heycallmeZe wrote:Well, what do you expect? He grew up and continues to primarily play platformers, which have the utterly simplest of puzzles. To him, a puzzle should be no more than something in a contained area that can be solved by poking at things around it to get the proper response than to sit still, investigate, backtrack, examining the use of recent powers, etc.
I expect him to not blatantly ram his face into things repeatedly when they're clearly not working. That's what anyone who's putting a modicum of thought into their actions would do. You adapt to a situation as required, otherwise you struggle with it as raocow so frequently does. (Which all too often gets people shitting on the design of the level/game when it's blatantly raocow that's the problem.)
This is not a bad level. The people who complain about this level tend to be terrible at this sort of thing, and that's merely their fault.
I think the level is fairly interesting personally. It just requires the player to actually work things out rather than assuming it'll work with no effort. Which isn't an issue at all from my point of view.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I think some of the comments about raocow's playstyle have been unnecessarily harsh.

I also think part of the issue is that the game expects the player to treat each new level as "Use This New Power: The Level." Sasha's world was "Use Marksmanship: The Level." Milla's was "Use Levitation: The Level." Lungfishopolis was "Use Shield: The Level" (and raocow had difficulty there until he got the hang of Shield). This is "Use Clairvoyance: The Level" (and raocow is still having difficulty because he hasn't focused his efforts on using Clairvoyance).

If this was explicitly identified as a Clairvoyance-tutorial level - which it essentially is, despite being so far into the game - I doubt we'd be seeing these difficulties.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Voltgloss wrote:If this was explicitly identified as a Clairvoyance-tutorial level - which it essentially is, despite being so far into the game - I doubt we'd be seeing these difficulties.
Does it really need to be explicitly identified as one? If the game has been consistent on each new world being a tutorial for the new power then there's really no need for them to say "hey this world is a tutorial for this power you literally just received and haven't had a chance to learn to use yet!"
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

Alice wrote:I expect him to not blatantly ram his face into things repeatedly when they're clearly not working. That's what anyone who's putting a modicum of thought into their actions would do. You adapt to a situation as required, otherwise you struggle with it as raocow so frequently does. (Which all too often gets people shitting on the design of the level/game when it's blatantly raocow that's the problem.)
Adaptation would work if the playstyle allows for it. But raocow's playstyle for blind playthroughs, like many of the old guard LPers from SomethingAwful (ARavingLoon, Smite, PsychedelicEyeball, others), goes against that: Instead of adapting to circumstances and paying attention to cues or deviations from patterns, you go by instinct. It makes for great videos when it's a game that's the player's forte...but once they're out of their depth, it becomes a slog. A great example of this besides raocow is slowbeef's Metroid Prime LPs, especially during Echoes and Corruption: You could tell he had to heavily rely on Vicas and Diabeetus for at least some guidance if not flat-out telling him what to do because he literally couldn't just look at scans and remember key aspects of exploration. And we all know that raocow hates being told what to do.

I could see why raocow was very insistent on not wanting to play RPGs now.

The thing is, raocow wants to play this game like he plays all his other games (i.e. a rompy platformer). The game will not let him. raocow refuses to play the game the way it wants to be played (an adventure game with platforming elements). Unstoppable force, unbreakable wall.
One day, an image will return
Camwood777
oh man what
First name: Cam

Post by Camwood777 »

i vote milkman for best character in game raocow has played
also goes by "camwoodstock", "camwood", "cws", or some variant thereof
plays video games i think