(shouting)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by Sebby19 »

After Deceased Crab LP'd that game 3 times, the 3rd being the remake, is there any reason for anyone to play that game?

raocow not parrying things has been a running thing since Soldexus, haha. Getting flashbacks to that time as well.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
kitikami

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by kitikami »

The only enemy I ever bothered to parry up to the point where raocow is was the giants, and his strategy also works fine for them since you seem to be pretty safe from them in the air. The only difference using parry would make with them is that they might go down a bit faster, but his combat style makes pretty much everything else faster. The game flat-out tells you the first time you meet an enemy that you really need to parry, and I'm pretty sure it is right after a save point, so raocow will be fine just learning it then. Which is also the game acknowledging that players very well could have gone through the entire game up to that point without ever using the parry mechanic since it's nice but far from the only way to approach anything in the early game.

Even burning through health items isn't really a problem. Just the healing from save points is plenty to get through most things in the game, so it's not like raocow is ever going to get stuck and need to grind because he doesn't have enough resources to continue. And pretty much everything you can buy or craft is optional and more geared toward how ridiculously powerful you want your character to be. This isn't a game you have to worry about conserving every hit and being stocked up on resources.

As others have said, Dust is a pretty easy game relative to a lot of what raocow plays, and it's one that allows for a pretty wide variety of play-styles. There's absolutely nothing wrong with how raocow is approaching the game, and he's not having any problems with the game. He might have to adapt to some things the game introduces later on, but that is part of the experience of playing a game blind. The only real complaint I have with the LP is that we still haven't gotten to see Dust's figurine collection.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Spoilers : You need to 100% the game on the hardest difficulty, then you get a 1 second glimpse of the figure collection, totally worth it.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote:After Deceased Crab LP'd that game 3 times, the 3rd being the remake, is there any reason for anyone to play that game?
There is plenty of reason to play it - but perhaps not much reason to LP it.

What *might* be interesting is if raocow with Talkhaus support group-plays-through the *sequel* once it releases. Not clear when that'll be though.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote:After Deceased Crab LP'd that game 3 times, the 3rd being the remake, is there any reason for anyone to play that game?
Iso's lp of La-Mulana was also quite decent. It's actually the reason I ended up subscribing to him. All of DC's are pretty decent as well but his lps also aren't blind either which is probably the biggest criticism I have of his lps.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Alice wrote:stuff
Rao is not doing a disservice to the game, his flashy hyperactive combat style is only helping it. Otherwise, combat is boring and easy, the level design has nothing to it, enemy placement might as well just be random spawns except for the sets of Bombs which are just obnoxious and tedious, no mtater how you approach them.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Somebody please make Sasuke's twitter account and do some crappy MSpaint things for it, that needs to happen.
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

How is this not the way you are supposed to play the game? Like, seriously, can you play it any other way? Why would you do such a thing?
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Man, I love this game to pieces, real "defender" of it, and I love the way raocow is playing it, it's so energetic and crazy and fun it's genuinely delightful. I don't even care he's talking over the melodrama, so long as he does actually keep an eye on what is occurring at least a bit. The only thing I wish he'd pay more attention to is the shops and the blacksmith - but he'll have time to both learn how to use those and exhaust Haley's talk options later (

don't worry, there's no forced romance, despite Fidget's insistence

). I know crafting systems are boring, but this game actually has a pretty good and quick one that even has a workaround to the issue of having to farm enemies for token crap. Also there's a bunch of item types which are pretty clear that they're only good for selling. Basically what I'm saying is I want raocow to chill, focus, and check out the shop and blacksmith properly at some point, even if he only ever does it once or twice, but there's no need to go out of the way for it specifically just yet.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Yo raocow, go buy like 20 teleport stones from the shop! Also, go buy health items too!
Chrysanth
Oh, now I understand what this is supposed to be.
First name: Molly
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Chrysanth »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:Man, I love this game to pieces, real "defender" of it, and I love the way raocow is playing it, it's so energetic and crazy and fun it's genuinely delightful. I don't even care he's talking over the melodrama, so long as he does actually keep an eye on what is occurring at least a bit.
It's been forever since I have been able to log on here and I wanted to get into one of these threads and actually say something about the Let's Plays at hand, but man, someone already pretty much expressed exactly how I was feeling in about two sentences. (To do it in two sentences is really impressive too because I am overly long-winded!) I would like to think raocow is paying attention to the story, but sometimes it is hard to tell if that is the case - especially when there are moments where a screen transition will happen and Rao's first thoughts are, and I quote, "Peanut butter." Granted, that's always been Rao, but it always raises the question of whether or not he's with us sometimes. (To be honest, I'm fine either way; whatever leads to more joyful mid-air hundred hit combos is more than fine for me.)
Oh gosh, it's been so long since I've signed up to be on a forum.
This is the part where I can write some witty banter or something?
Um ... okay ... I have a YouTube channel somewhere and I stay up at 2AM browsing Tumblr.
(P.S. I've also secretly wanted to join here for a while but always was shy about it but don't tell anyone I said that.)
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

I played on Tough and pretty much just abused the flying hellstorm projectile spam forever, like raocow is doing, and I only distinctly remember maybe one or two enemies that ever "required" the parry to beat, and by "required" I mean "to get their HP to zero sometime today." The soaring dust storm is like, the safest attack I've ever seen, and I don't remember ever hitting a "wake up call." I don't even remember the final fight, because I won through sheer attrition, not using much besides that OP attack and my bottomless supply of the health items I'd hardly used up to that point because I'd spent 90% of my time playing the game flying invincibly through the air dealing constant damage to everything on the screen, and a screen or two in every other direction. Maybe playing Hardcore makes that strategy fundamentally worthless, but I guess I'll never know.

No, I think the thing that's most likely to screw raocow over, if anything, is auto-consuming his health items on pickup. The moment he reaches something that doesn't die instantly from infinite stunlock (I think the game calls them bosses), he won't have any, unless he buys some to stock up. So, uh, do that, Mr. Cow, if you're taking requests.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Xirix wrote:Somebody please make Sasuke's twitter account and do some crappy MSpaint things for it, that needs to happen.
It's just as much fun to play it with combos. Admittedly, if he does that, we lose out on raomegaddon.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Did you quote the wrong person ztarwuff? Or just really want that sweet twitter account to happen? :P

Also raocow you need to switch to sell mode, you're just looking at the stuff you've already given him, it'll never change so there's no point in checking it in buy mode.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

You should probably start stagger saving there, raocow.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Ah, Dust, I loved playing this game. The gameplay is so enjoyable, the graphics are an eye-candy and I actually found the story interesting.

Despite playing in a less careful way than me, raocow is having an easier time surviving. I was using my healing items so frequently, that I found myself without them in the most crucial times.

And he seems to be advancing at a good pace, not too quick, not too slow.

By the way, raocow, whenever you get the chance to return to the world map (if you can, do it in the next video, since you aren't that far from an exit), return to the forest where you fought Mr. Fuse. There is something really useful there, and will help you get powerful items easier. I don't remember the exact location, but I think that it is in one of those paths that you didn't go to.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow, do those new floating enemies have to scream like that when they die?

raocow, save scumming like a champ! Welcome aboard, you're a true gamer now!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
dustsuke

Post by dustsuke »

Hey guys maybe you can help me. I'm trying to tweet this picture I drew to someone but I'm not sure what her account name is. Her name is Haley and she lives at Archer's Pass. If anyone knows who I'm talking about, can you make sure she sees this?

https://twitter.com/dustsuke/status/818640381336231936
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

dustsuke wrote:everything
this is unironically the best thing to come from this LP and I say that as someone who's really enjoying this LP
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

oh my gosh
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Beautiful Dustsuke, just beautiful. (Dear lord I just noticed the twitter background too XD)
dustsuke

Post by dustsuke »

I'm glad you guys like it, I just hope Haley sees it.