(shouting)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - Yes, the game's name is a pun

Post by Xirix »

Don't be afraid to spend your money on materials raocow, that's the point of selling one to the merchant in the first place, so you can get more without killing stuff.
MeleeWizard

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by MeleeWizard »

I apologize in advance if this comes off as crass or something.

I wonder if the patreons that wanted raocow to play games like Dust are the same people that yell at him through their screens whenever he ignores/forgets something the game tells him. Do they enjoy watching him bang his head against metaphorical walls or were they expecting something different?
YouTube | Twitter Image
Image Irony, thy name is Talkhaus.
The Doctor

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by The Doctor »

MeleeWizard wrote:I wonder if the patreons that wanted raocow to play games like Dust are the same people that yell at him through their screens whenever he ignores/forgets something the game tells him. Do they enjoy watching him bang his head against metaphorical walls or were they expecting something different?
Does saying yes make me a bad person? Because the answer is totally yes. It can be very cathartic. And funny.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Triggering blombs by proximity is a viable strategy, though using the dash to get away makes it somewhat safer. It's usually a lot faster than trying to hit them with Fidget+Dust Storm projectiles since they can only be hit when their mouths are open, and a lot of times they won't do that until you get close-ish anyway. Fidget's scatter attack only hitting things intermittently also means you have to be fairly patient to hit them that way since the timing doesn't always work out with when they are vulnerable. The main danger from blombs is just not noticing them until it is too late and not having time to react and get out of the way of the explosion.

It is really easy to not notice things in this game. While the game is visually lovely and generally pretty polished, there is a lot going on on the screen competing for your attention, especially during certain weather effects. There have been multiple times I've fought through a crowd of enemies and suddenly thought, "wait, why am I walking so slowly?" only to realize that there is still an enemy left right on top of my sprite that I am pushing around. And I've basically given up on trying to keep track of what spoils I pick up in a fight with more than one or two enemies. I can't imagine how much worse that is with the LP curse of having to divide your attention between talking and playing the game.

Also, good luck raocow on getting the blacksmith to watch FLCL with Dust at his place.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Alice wrote:raocow, I'm sure you're going to resist it until you have no other choice but you really do need to learn parrying sooner rather than later. Also you handled those blombs in probably the dumbest way you could have. You seemingly completely forgot about dust storm+fidget's projectiles which wouldn't have resulted in you burning through all your healing items. And you probably didn't notice it since it doesn't seem like you pay very much attention to what's going on in this game with how much you miss but don't waste heal items when you're on fire. Burning doesn't kill you so it's best to let the fire wear off before healing.
I think at this point, we should probably just shut up and let him fail.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Money

Post by Money »

It's not raocow's fault if the game is easily cheesable to the point where doing so is the quickest and most fun option
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Typical that when raocow looks around the world map it shows like.. the 1 of 3 things where absolutely nothing happens, welp.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey raocow, next time you need to go see the blacksmith lady, you should trek up the mountain the old fashion way. There were several of those door you couldn't open (you thought were a shade of purple), but now that you have the BLUE stone for them, you can reap your spoils. There were definitely more than the 2 doors that hide the shortcut.

I also have the feeling you missed a bunch of stuff in the newest area as well, soaring up the place.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It’s amazing how different raocow’s playthrough is than mine. I’ve been taking fights more slowly and cautiously in general and doing most fighting on the ground, while he just rips through everything with fighting-game freneticism and spends like 90% of his fights in the air. It’s really interesting to see how different combat can be and how the game allows for such different styles of play.

I was hoping raocow would immediately stumble upon the friend over the bridge based on how many fights he naturally ends up in that part of the screen. And messing up the lock mini-game sequence does not waste keys. There’s no penalty other than you have to try again, so nothing to worry about there.

Teleport stones are a thing the shops sell. That’s what you need to be able to warp to the world map from a save point. As far as I know, enemies don't drop them, so you have to buy them.

The exploding eggplants can’t hurt you, only enemy explosions, so you don’t have to worry about getting out of their way. Although I can't blame raocow for being cautious given his experience with being on fire.
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

It's fascinating how much more entertaining this LP becomes when there is no dialogue wasting minutes on end.

And yes, I love seeing raocow going all beserk on everything all the time without even realising what's happening.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote:I think at this point, we should probably just shut up and let him fail.
Personally his lack of effort is completely killing the enjoyment of this lp for me and I think he's doing the game a huge disservice. I'm actually considering passing on this lp altogether if he doesn't stop being so bad about it which is saying a lot since the only lp I've ever passed on before was Voxatron and that's because I just don't care for Voxatron. Lack of effort plus being much more loud and obnoxious than usual doesn't result in very entertaining videos to me. Plus it infuriates the hell out of me when someone who's intelligent doesn't use their brain at all.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Wow.

that's harsh, haha
But, like, I just don't see the problem? Right now I'm progressing at a regular pace, the game isn't exactly telling me to change how to play or anything. Like from the feedback the game itself is telling me, I'm being reasonably succesful, so I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to change ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Like right now your critism is 'use parry more' which the game has done no effort in telling me that this is essential, and 'use fidget's magic to activate the ghosts' which is super slow and annoying, I'd rather take the risk of going into range and then dashing out because then I don't need to wait for the ghosts to yawn.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I don't recall ever using FIdget's magic on the bomb enemies either - I always got close and then dashed out of range. Considering the game is saturated with that enemy, it's a lot easier to either just a) tank the hit, or b) run in and run back out.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Phew! I almost thought raocow was going to waste a teleport stone this video. Good thing he didn't!
kitikami wrote:I was hoping raocow would immediately stumble upon the friend over the bridge based on how many fights he naturally ends up in that part of the screen. And messing up the lock mini-game sequence does not waste keys. There’s no penalty other than you have to try again, so nothing to worry about there.
Yeah, I had huge difficulties finding Bandage Girl, but raocow's play style meant it was inevitable that he'd stumble across her.
raocow wrote:Like right now your critism is 'use parry more' which the game has done no effort in telling me that this is essential, and 'use fidget's magic to activate the ghosts' which is super slow and annoying, I'd rather take the risk of going into range and then dashing out because then I don't need to wait for the ghosts to yawn.
Alice, really should be more specific. Remember how you mentioned that the slimes keep breaking your chains? Those are the enemies you should be parrying against. If you keep an eye out for their tells and parry, you won't get caught out by their spikes. (It's really obvious when they're about to attack, so keep an eye for it, and make sure you're not above a slime when it's about to attack—you can't parry their spikes from above). Alternatively, don't be anywhere near them when they're about to attack.

You should also be parrying against the tall golems, but, as you said, you seem to be doing fine without it... so far. There's going to be more enemies later on in the game where it's easier to parry, then attack. There's also at least one enemy where you cannot inflict any damage until you've parried an attack, but there's a cutscene before that one appears.

Personally, I don't really see a problem with how you're playing, other than you should really pay more attention to where you are, and those wordy dialogue sequences can get boring. (That's not your fault, though).

(Also, try checking what's above the overworld map. It changes every now and then.)
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:Wow.

that's harsh, haha
Well I can sugarcoat it in which case it'll just get entirely ignored or I can be blunt about it to make certain that my point's getting across. You tend to be quite reluctant to listening to people as it is even when everyone's trying to get a point across to you so being blunt seems to be the logical course of action there. It may be harsh to say so but I legitimately am having trouble enjoying this lp at all so far when it's one I should enjoy quite a lot.
But, like, I just don't see the problem? Right now I'm progressing at a regular pace, the game isn't exactly telling me to change how to play or anything. Like from the feedback the game itself is telling me, I'm being reasonably succesful, so I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to change ?
You're not really listening to what people are saying. I'm not the only person who has pointed out issues. I've seen others, for example, point out how you keep forgetting to sell materials at the shop which you seemingly missed judging by the fact that, as of the latest video, you still have the same issue.
raocow wrote:Like right now your critism is 'use parry more' which the game has done no effort in telling me that this is essential, and 'use fidget's magic to activate the ghosts' which is super slow and annoying, I'd rather take the risk of going into range and then dashing out because then I don't need to wait for the ghosts to yawn.
Speaking from personal experience here (as below with my reply to ztarwuff) but this is, again, not a terribly great idea if you don't want to burn through all your healing items. When I first played through the game I tried to handle them the same way because I was impatient and, unlike you, I actually made it a point to always collect everything enemies dropped and I was still constantly broke and low on healing items because of it.
ztarwuff wrote:Alice, really should be more specific. Remember how you mentioned that the slimes keep breaking your chains? Those are the enemies you should be parrying against. If you keep an eye out for their tells and parry, you won't get caught out by their spikes. (It's really obvious when they're about to attack, so keep an eye for it, and make sure you're not above a slime when it's about to attack—you can't parry their spikes from above). Alternatively, don't be anywhere near them when they're about to attack.

You should also be parrying against the tall golems, but, as you said, you seem to be doing fine without it... so far. There's going to be more enemies later on in the game where it's easier to parry, then attack. There's also at least one enemy where you cannot inflict any damage until you've parried an attack, but there's a cutscene before that one appears.
The slimes are bad and the giants can be really bad. They're worse later on so the way he's handling them now is okay enough other than the several times he's been hit by them as he's trying to airdash past them. The main reason I'm try to get through to him that he should be learning parry now rather than later is that when he gets that far it's going to fairly quickly go from being able to survive just fine without parrying at all to dying frequently and very quickly due to a lack of parrying. And I'm talking from personal experience there because that was a serious issue for me once I got far enough since, like raocow, I completely ignored the parry mechanic for the early part of the game.
Personally, I don't really see a problem with how you're playing, other than you should really pay more attention to where you are
His complete lack of attention and the fact he's not really putting much effort into combat either suggests a complete lack of effort in general.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

I think this LP is high quality, and hypercow is the best
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Nah, but seriously, if you're going to be brutally honesty (with emphasis on the brutal) with someone, be brutally honest with me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I honesly don't care if raocow parries or not, he seems to be doing fine right now and he's having fun going nuts during the combat, no problems here. I've seen other comments on youtube to the same effect of the LP being 'unwatchable' because he's playing this way and it's very confusing to me, everyone plays videogames their own way... so what's the problem here?

If he's forced to change how he approaches combat later because it becomes too hard to do what he's doing now... I imagine he'll pick up on that quite quickly (or after an episode zero of throwing himself at a horde 3-4 times :P).

In summary : Videogames are serious buisness.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Yeah, these complaints are silly. I could understand if raocow was playing a very hard game that requires you to play properly (say Dark Souls) and raocow was failing miserably because he was refusing to figure out the game. But, that's not happening here. Dust is fairly easy and raocow's fumbling around is working fine. So what's the problem? If he hits a wall later on he'll either hilariously brute force his way through it or start to play more intelligently.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Alice wrote:*snip*
Like xirix said, it'll be fine. This isn't Valdis Story or La Mulana. Because he keeps accidentally parrying, he'll remember what it's about so when he does come across the enemies that require it, he'll know what to do.
Ivy wrote:I think this LP is high quality, and hypercow is the best
Overpowered videogame characters really do bring out the best rao.

EDIT: I just had a thought. No one suggested La Mulana to raocow, right? If he's getting slightly turned round in Dust, then he's got no hope in that game.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm enjoying the LP and how raocow is currently playing. Perhaps that's because I haven't played the game and don't have in my head a "right way" to play it.

I get that, sometimes, when you know a game inside and out, it can be hard to enjoy an LP by someone who's "playing it wrong." I've been there on the watching end a few times myself. Either I've reconciled with how the LP'er is playing, or I've decided that particular LP isn't for me.
ztarwuff wrote:EDIT: I just had a thought. No one suggested La Mulana to raocow, right? If he's getting slightly turned round in Dust, then he's got no hope in that game.
I love La-Mulana and I think it's a brilliant game. I greatly enjoy raocow's LP's and think he delivers consistently quality entertainment.

But the two are not compatible. La-Mulana would grind raocow into a fine powder, and raocow would not enjoy the experience.
Alice

Post by Alice »

ztarwuff wrote:EDIT: I just had a thought. No one suggested La Mulana to raocow, right? If he's getting slightly turned round in Dust, then he's got no hope in that game.
I'm pretty sure it was one of the options in the Patreon vote awhile back. I might be misremembering though.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Alice wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was one of the options in the Patreon vote awhile back. I might be misremembering though.
It was in the first vote, don't remember how high or low it might have placed.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).