(shouting)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - Yes, the game's name is a pun

Post by ztarwuff »

Bean wrote:I remember seeing another person stream this game. Good art, even if some of the NPC characters contrast that at times, but it's fine overall as a whole. The combat system's pretty dang neat from what I've seen in the first few vids here.
It's really fun to play. I kind of made the same mistake raocow did, though, and levelled up my attack power way too soon.

It's also impressive that, with the exception of the music, pretty much everything else in the game was made by one guy.

Totalbiscuit's review

Also, raocow, don't forget that you can scale the HUD elements as well as move them!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That is pretty impressive. Also, that mouse in Part 3 is named Bean as well. No relation, in case any of you were wondering.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Sword Dude Man: Fidget has silenced!

Dust:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Hell yeah laundry quest action. Also now that you have access to the worldmap screen teleport, try looking around with the right stick everynow and then, it does a thing.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

The flight/glide thing is more of a glide normally, similar to the air dash, but when there are enemies in the air to attack, you can actually use it to reach pretty ridiculous heights. It's hard to control, but it's possible to just be attacking stuff randomly and suddenly be at the top of the screen.

I think the poison ivy decision pretty much sums up the difference between raocow and Horikawa as LPers.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

kitikami wrote:The flight/glide thing is more of a glide normally, similar to the air dash, but when there are enemies in the air to attack, you can actually use it to reach pretty ridiculous heights. It's hard to control, but it's possible to just be attacking stuff randomly and suddenly be at the top of the screen.
I believe that you actually need to use that to reach a secret later in the game, at least that was how I got it.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Speaking of Distorted Travesty as raocow keeps doing, I see see he's once again employing his cunning strategy of blatantly ignoring money which is lying unguarded on the ground directly next to him. I'm sure this will at no point turn around and bite him in the R's like in every other game.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Speaking of Distorted Travesty as raocow keeps doing, I see see he's once again employing his cunning strategy of blatantly ignoring money which is lying unguarded on the ground directly next to him. I'm sure this will at no point turn around and bite him in the R's like in every other game.
The good news is that Dust Storm just suctions money to you, so it's not too bad.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

my favorite thing is how raocow keeps

referring to the blacksmith as an old man

oh boy
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I miss Hyper Light Drifter's storytelling-without-talking already.

On the other hand, raocow's commentary and exuberance in combat is super engaging. I've no interest in playing the game (not for any art-style reason - rather because I'm not that into flashy combo fighters) but I'm having fun with this LP.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Parama wrote:my favorite thing is how raocow keeps

referring to the blacksmith as an old man

oh boy

The guy in town refers to his blacksmith friend as male too. The person he wants Dust to visit is an old(-ish) man, he's just not there when Dust arrives.

But yeah, there's some definite dissonance when you know that.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote:I believe that you actually need to use that to reach a secret later in the game, at least that was how I got it.
I don't recall if it's the only way to reach it but there's one coming up in one of the areas he just got access to this video that can only be reached, at least currently, with the air dashing.
Voltgloss wrote:I miss Hyper Light Drifter's storytelling-without-talking already.

On the other hand, raocow's commentary and exuberance in combat is super engaging. I've no interest in playing the game (not for any art-style reason - rather because I'm not that into flashy combo fighters) but I'm having fun with this LP.
I prefer this one. It means I don't miss all the dialog because raocow doesn't bother paying attention to it/speed reads through it. Having to pause my video every two seconds to know what's going on is extremely obnoxious. I found Hyper Light Drifter's story in particular kinda hard to follow because a lot of the imagery was hard to even parse.
Last edited by Alice 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Going to give this post a shot, but does anyone have a save file on either Tough or Hardcore mode (or whatever the two highest difficulties were) from any point at or after

the Blackmoor Mountains

(or even near that point)? As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I lost my save file halfway through the last area about a month ago and I'm trying to avoid replaying the whole thing if I can help it. I imagine if people are playing along with raocow that this would probably be better asked as we get closer to the end, but here's hoping someone has a file regardless.

Thanks!!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Sorry SNN, I reinstalled to check but I only ever used the one slot on normal difficulty and autosave. Couldn't find any save file archives online for DAET either. :(

If I finish hyper light drifter soon, I might have a crack at a Dust Hard-mode playalong, so I'll let you know if I do.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

This game can definitely be dialogue-heavy at times, and the narrative is a bit ehh at times, but I had a blast playing regardless just because of how cool the gameplay is. There are even a couple of sequence break techniques for people looking to add replay value, despite the game normally being very linera.

@SNN: I still have a save file on Tough near the start of the final area from a couple years ago, so hopefully that's close enough. Link
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

raocow's got to remember that blue squares on the map contain save points, and that yes, you can enter an area from more than one location. the village, for example, has two entrances; if he'd entered from the left, he would have reached Giannia quicker.

Also, Gianni was wearing a gat, a traditional Korean hat. It's made from horse hair and bamboo. It is supposed to be partially transparent. I'm beginning to wonder whether the village architecture and the clothing of the villagers is also inspired by Korean culture. There's something about the villager's clothes (other than the hat) that doesn't look Chinese at all, but I'm not sure. I am, unfortunately, not knowledgeable enough to say for sure whether it is Korean-inspired or not.

I'm definitely sure about the hat, though. My mom's been watching some redubbed Korean period drama, and the scholars in those things all wear those hats.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

After playing some more last night and uncovering a bit more of the story…

I think Dust is Muhammed Ali

Also, holy cow is Fidget powerful.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

it's a shame we got a neopet blacksmith instead of haruko haruhara
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

ztarwuff wrote: Also, Gianni was wearing a gat, a traditional Korean hat. It's made from horse hair and bamboo. It is supposed to be partially transparent. I'm beginning to wonder whether the village architecture and the clothing of the villagers is also inspired by Korean culture. There's something about the villager's clothes (other than the hat) that doesn't look Chinese at all, but I'm not sure. I am, unfortunately, not knowledgeable enough to say for sure whether it is Korean-inspired or not.

I'm definitely sure about the hat, though. My mom's been watching some redubbed Korean period drama, and the scholars in those things all wear those hats.
You are indeed correct! As Wikipedia tells us:
Wikipedia wrote:The developer, who is half Korean, incorporated various Korean elements in the game design, including the logo and various food items.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

ztarwuff wrote:Also, Gianni was wearing a gat, a traditional Korean hat. It's made from horse hair and bamboo. It is supposed to be partially transparent. I'm beginning to wonder whether the village architecture and the clothing of the villagers is also inspired by Korean culture. There's something about the villager's clothes (other than the hat) that doesn't look Chinese at all, but I'm not sure. I am, unfortunately, not knowledgeable enough to say for sure whether it is Korean-inspired or not.
The creator of Dust is half-Korean and the title of the game is in Korean next to the English title... a lot of items in the game are Korean too. I'd wager the village fashion is a mix of Korean and western fantasy attire.
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow, I'm sure you're going to resist it until you have no other choice but you really do need to learn parrying sooner rather than later. Also you handled those blombs in probably the dumbest way you could have. You seemingly completely forgot about dust storm+fidget's projectiles which wouldn't have resulted in you burning through all your healing items. And you probably didn't notice it since it doesn't seem like you pay very much attention to what's going on in this game with how much you miss but don't waste heal items when you're on fire. Burning doesn't kill you so it's best to let the fire wear off before healing.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:Also, Gianni was wearing a gat, a traditional Korean hat. It's made from horse hair and bamboo. It is supposed to be partially transparent. I'm beginning to wonder whether the village architecture and the clothing of the villagers is also inspired by Korean culture. There's something about the villager's clothes (other than the hat) that doesn't look Chinese at all, but I'm not sure. I am, unfortunately, not knowledgeable enough to say for sure whether it is Korean-inspired or not.
The creator of Dust is half-Korean and the title of the game is in Korean next to the English title... a lot of items in the game are Korean too. I'd wager the village fashion is a mix of Korean and western fantasy attire.
I am so freaking blind! :oops: I never noticed the Korean writing there.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Alice wrote:raocow, I'm sure you're going to resist it until you have no other choice but you really do need to learn parrying sooner rather than later. Also you handled those blombs in probably the dumbest way you could have. You seemingly completely forgot about dust storm+fidget's projectiles which wouldn't have resulted in you burning through all your healing items. And you probably didn't notice it since it doesn't seem like you pay very much attention to what's going on in this game with how much you miss but don't waste heal items when you're on fire. Burning doesn't kill you so it's best to let the fire wear off before healing.
did the game say anywhere that burning doesn't kill you? I definitely didn't know at the time!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Cirno wrote:@SNN: I still have a save file on Tough near the start of the final area from a couple years ago, so hopefully that's close enough. Link
This is perfect. Thank you so much!
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:did the game say anywhere that burning doesn't kill you? I definitely didn't know at the time!
To be fair it took me a long time to catch that one myself when I first played. I even went and checked the help menu to see if there was any mention of it and I don't recall seeing it there either. And just so it's clear the bit about you not paying much attention, despite being attached to the comment on burning, was more related to how much attention you pay to other things than burning in particular since that really is easy to overlook, especially when you're in the middle of trying not to die. More just a "since you overlook these far more obvious things due to a lack of attention I should probably bring this to your attention as well" sort of deal.