smw centralsmbx communitypge project

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

SUPER MARIO 152 - FPzero & Tyty play VLDC9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
GlitchMr
:)
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: SUPER MARIO 152 - FPzero & Tyty play VLDC9

Postby GlitchMr » 2 weeks ago

Now I wonder what will be level title in FISH IN SPACE :).

FPzero
Try new Phazon Ice(TM), blue, refreshing, horribly mutagenic!

Postby FPzero » 2 weeks ago

Huge variation in level qualities today.

Today's tip: Coins are generally indicators of safety in Mario, so make sure that any coin path you make for the player will be safe. The player should be able to follow that exact path and not be hit.

GlitchMr
:)
First name: Konrad Borowski

Postby GlitchMr » 1 week ago

What you felt was a cage was actually Layer 2 (can be verified with this scores thing), and you cannot actually have vertical level with transparency in vanilla SMW, as there is no correct level mode (which I assume is why Layer 3 graphics were used).

FPzero

Postby FPzero » 1 week ago

A really excellent level heavily marred by one segment. It's a shame because I really liked the level overall. It probably took us just shy of 30 minutes to beat but compare it to the black and white flying yoshi level (Episode 15) and the big difference is that I was generally having fun with this level even as I was continually failing.

(Also Pyro if you're still watching, the people on SA were curious to hear any sort of dev commentary on your level since they generally thought it was a neat and good level)

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 1 week ago

It actually should be called Swizz Hotel.
swizz
noun [ S ] also swiz uk ​ /swɪz/ us ​ /swɪz/ UK old-fashioned informal

something that is disappointing or unfair:

"There's only half as much in the new packets. "What a swizz!"
dont wanna jihad no more

FPzero

Postby FPzero » 1 week ago

What an amazing-looking level! It's almost too good looking. As in, while it's visually amazing it's also very visually confusing. This is a rare instance where the level can actually overstimulate the player with signals and information. In the end though, it's a very good and fun level otherwise with an incredibly creative theme, beautiful execution and a clever twist on the theme for the secret exit.

Pyro
cutie
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Pyro » 1 week ago

FPzero wrote: (Also Pyro if you're still watching, the people on SA were curious to hear any sort of dev commentary on your level since they generally thought it was a neat and good level)
mfw

I guess the dev commentary would be that it was a level sort of made at the last second to replace my old submission. My original submission was your typical newcomer level where it's just a mess of gimmicks and ideas and it had no coherence, and I realized this when I still had the chance so I made something cuter and dumber. The accelerator blocks were an accident with map16 and I just rolled with it. I mainly don't like the level because I don't think it uses its gimmicks very well and the bonus cave section looks awful. I don't necessarily think it's bad, it just could have been so much better. I like my VLDCX entry a lot more.
professional meme

FPzero

Postby FPzero » 6 days ago

I took a look at the cave section because we did miss it when playing on recording.

You're probably right about it overall. It's not the prettiest section visually and I don't think it adds much to the level. It's pretty long, you have to constantly deal with the Fishin' Boo, there really aren't many enemies in it and the accelerator blocks are totally absent.

I think that the accelerator blocks are neat, but there's just not much that can be done with them in terms of iterative challenges or setups. I still think the level was super fun to play though and that's what mattered for me in the end. The creativity of fish replacements was great.

FPzero

Postby FPzero » 4 days ago

The levels we played were pretty good overall so we spent most of the time talking about old romhacking history on the internet.

FPzero

Postby FPzero » 1 day ago

Some good looking and fun levels today. First one was a little bit boring though and had one odd mandatory puzzle that probably shouldn't have taken me so long to figure out. That can happen though when the player really isn't expecting to be confronted with a puzzle.

Return to “let's play”