(shouting)

VLDC9 - vanilla level design contest 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: VLDC9 - vertiginous latticework donning creatures 9

Post by Alice »

AUS wrote:Gonna have to disagree with you. Two colors is a bit boring. With three colors, there's so much possibility--like making one color strictly for guides, like how I thought it was going to be from the beginning.

It's not that three colors is a bad idea, yeah?
It's just that this level is incredibly poorly designed, in such a way that it doesn't work with its own gimmick.
I think it would have been better if instead of having it so things would be completely black between colors it would have a short interval where two colors are active. So instead of red->black->blue->black->yellow->black it'd go something more like red->red/blue->blue->blue/yellow->yellow->yellow/red. Just that one change would probably help quite a bit.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Re: VLDC9 - vertiginous latticework donning creatures 9

Post by Sturg »

Alice wrote: I think it would have been better if instead of having it so things would be completely black between colors it would have a short interval where two colors are active. So instead of red->black->blue->black->yellow->black it'd go something more like red->red/blue->blue->blue/yellow->yellow->yellow/red. Just that one change would probably help quite a bit.
This is exactly my sentiments. The short pause between colors adds up to the point it becomes KILLER and just screws up the flow of the level so much. I'd also like to mention that this level really needed to use balance its colors out better. There's a lot of instances where big chunks of level just use one/two colors, so you have even more time having to wait for those specific colors.

Also that last section was pretty much blind garbage like wow haha
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Nimono

Re: VLDC9 - vast lookouts descriptive checkers 9

Post by Nimono »

just for the record: my score this time for Triangle Dimension was not a fudging of scores like in Matterhorn. I genuinely didn't like the level, genuinely didn't think it was creative (at the time), genuinely didn't think it looked very good. today, I'd give it more in creativity, yeah, but everything else.... egh, I really don't like that secret exit path. It REALLY brings down the whole level. Interesting ideas, but the execution, in my opinion, was HORRIBLE.

Neon Castle, on the other hand, while not PERFECT, was alright
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: VLDC9 - vertices localized discos constructed 9

Post by snoruntpyro »

Honestly the secret exit is probably the best use of special auto scroll I've seen. It's legit hard and fast paced unlike other levels that use it

looking at you stadium of plants

Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

71st: TRIANGLE DIMENSION by yoshifanatic
Nimono
DESIGN: 1/30
CREATIVITY: 6/20
AESTHETICS: 4/10
TOTAL: 11/60
Level was not executed very well. The idea was interesting, but in practice, it did not play well at all. Death was common due to either sliding off slopes or bouncing off chucks. Then came the secret exit... I could not finish it due to how utterly unforgiving it was. Overall, not a very good level...

ninja boy
DESIGN: 14/30
CREATIVITY: 12/20
AESTHETICS: 5/10
TOTAL: 31/60
This was a nice level by design but very busy with all the aesthetics being thrown all over the place which caused more distraction than anything else. The use of the rails was ok but they almost felt like an after though in some places and even though worked in context they seemed out of place.

Eternity
DESIGN: 24/30
CREATIVITY: 18/20
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 52/60
Woah, this was really unexpected! This level does some really neat things with the triangle theme, and manages to stay creative and fun all the way through. I think some of the obstacles were a bit too annoying/unclear on how to go through at first, specially at the secret exit route, but the level was fantastic regardless. Also, awesome job with the aesthetics, the level looks great.

Also noting that you can also screw up in the autoscroll section by entering the door in unintended places.

OTHER:
â–²
â–² â–²
â–² â–²
â–² â–² â–² â–²
â–² â–²
▲ ▲ ◄◙► ▲ ▲
â–² â–² â–² â–²
â–² â–² â–² â–² â–² â–² â–² â–²

Koopster
DESIGN: 20/30
CREATIVITY: 15/20
AESTHETICS: 6/10
TOTAL: 41/60
In terms of abstract levels I didn't see this coming at all... I didn't think anyone would dare to construct a level almost entirely out of triangular shapes and pull it off (fairly) well. The main route is cool, but somewhat cramped at times. I enjoyed the challenge provided by the secret exit a lot. Very fun, keeps you in your toes but is mostly fair, though a few spots may require you to learn them or just be lucky. The fourth dragon coin is kind of stupid to get...

52nd: NEON CASTLE by Pseudogon
Nimono
DESIGN: 20/30
CREATIVITY: 11/20
AESTHETICS: 6/10
TOTAL: 37/60
The first jump of the level was oddly difficult, since it was not clear when the right time to jump was. Perhaps using coins to show the proper position would've helped! Aside from that and the erratic Footballs, the level was quite fun!

ninja boy
DESIGN: 16/30
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 41/60
I love the neon look that you used for this castle along with the challenge you presented in a fair but difficult way.

Eternity
DESIGN: 15/30
AESTHETICS: 7/10
TOTAL: 37/60
A pretty good level, but the Layer 2 adds more waiting than anything to be honest. The level design is fairly nice, but other than the moving layers there's really not much of interest. Aesthetically it's pretty nice, but the random buried question blocks feel out of place, even in a more abstract level.

Koopster
DESIGN: 19/30
CREATIVITY: 13/20
AESTHETICS: 8/10
TOTAL: 40/60
You're welcome! This level basically does the basic but well crafted setups with layer 2. I like the variety of enemies presented. The section with the spikes above and below is a bit of a difficulty jump, but its fair placement (right before the midpoint) sort of makes up for it. I like the aesthetics, but I kinda wish the color transition was smooth!

We may or may not have thought out the ending of the abstract world to be that thank you room
As some comments pointed out, you misinterpreted that part with the piranha, you didn't have to jump from rope to rope!

Also while some placements are disappointing I don't think a lot of levels in the best world don't deserve to be there, except for two or three imo
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kowkarot »

Pyro wrote:Honestly the secret exit is probably the best use of special auto scroll I've seen. It's legit hard and fast paced unlike other levels that use it

looking at you stadium of plants

Oh right, they both use the same auto scrolling. I literally just noticed. But yeah, the one in that level is so freaking boring in comparison.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

If anyone wonders how are the triangle ? blocks vanilla, they are just on layer 2 behind triangles that have the same color as the background, other than that I want to see raocow's reaction to the best world map.
Also disable layer 3 on the Star Warp, it's totally GRAND.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Super Maks 64 wrote:If anyone wonders how are the triangle ? blocks vanilla, they are just on layer 2 behind triangles that have the same color as the background
That's extremely neat.

Also pretty observant of the level creator to put in an exit for presumably every screen in the secret exit route that leads back to the midpoint, instead of stranding you in level 0 if you accidentally enter the door
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yeah I agree with Koopster on the best world - except for two levels that realllllyy shouldn't be there (not that they're bad, they're just eh), the rest of them are pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, one of those two is.. well..
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ivy wrote:Also pretty observant of the level creator to put in an exit for presumably every screen in the secret exit route that leads back to the midpoint, instead of stranding you in level 0 if you accidentally enter the door
Kinda a bit of a weird choice though when instead they could have just put the door at the end of the section and not had to worry about it.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I kinda like the promise of the door hanging over you during the whole autoscroll. The fact you can accidentally enter it while on a rope though...
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Alice wrote: Kinda a bit of a weird choice though when instead they could have just put the door at the end of the section and not had to worry about it.
BobisOnlyBob wrote:I kinda like the promise of the door hanging over you during the whole autoscroll. The fact you can accidentally enter it while on a rope though...
I like it too, it adds some sort of tangible goal even though you know the level has to end at some point.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

raocow is probably like 1 of 300 people to accidentally enter that door
Mosts Awards:
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

I entered it in a different place (I think) once, but intentionally. I was trying to beat the level earlier and got kicked right back to the start :(
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Should have lead to a secret bonus room in those two instances where you can enter it early.

Or just have it be a skip to the end, really.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
TRS

Post by TRS »

If it was a skip to the end, people would assume it's a mistake.

The best solution is just to keep people from being able to go in the door to begin with.
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

Yeah, I had the same thought process as Koopster with the door. I saw at one point that it was on ground fairly early on, and was like "oh yo, can I beat the level earl- oh. oh no."
I guess that's our fault though, haha. I kinda liked that to be honest.

Also, 4/10 on aesthetics is pretty low, I think Mr. Nimono. I get why you felt that way, and respect it, but man oh man, there were so many neat things done with what it set out to do. Like, wow. I think it was maybe too busy at times, but it sure was well crafted.
コンコン
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

Triangular Dimension was alright, but it felt a bit awkward to play since the entire level was made out of slopes. I also really didn't like the aesthetics, and the pallet was god awful, but I thought the design was at least decent. It didn't commit anywhere near as many crimes as Flash Black and Sky at the Weird.

You might be disappointed with Best World like I was. I didn't think the levels were bad maybe aside from 1 level, but I can think of several levels that should have been in the Best World instead of what actually ended up there. I was still amazed by at least 3 levels in that world, with SNN's level being one of them. It got sadly robbed by ninja boy though :(
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

zagesaw wrote:I was still amazed by at least 3 levels in that world, with SNN's level being one of them. It got sadly robbed by ninja boy though :(
I appreciate the comment. I would be hypocritical to make a statement about his score on my level (given that I tend to defend subjectivity as much as I can), but I will confess that it did hurt a little seeing it at first.

My personal favorite level in the best world is the third place entry, and I'm a firm believer that it should have won. I'm looking forward to seeing raocow play it and others' reactions to it - it's quite the spectacle.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

third place should've won & a certain level about ice should've been higher tbh.

stadium of plants is eh and the winning level is eh tbh

edit: snn should've been worst world
TRS

Post by TRS »

I agree that third place should have won. Interestingly though, if you took ninja boy's scores out of the average it's the only level in the top 10 that keeps its placement!
S.N.N. wrote:Unfortunately, one of those two is.. well..
It's okay you can say it
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

TRS wrote:I agree that third place should have won. Interestingly though, if you took ninja boy's scores out of the average it's the only level in the top 10 that keeps its placement!
S.N.N. wrote:Unfortunately, one of those two is.. well..
It's okay you can say it
💩
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Triangle Dimension had one of those concepts that is simple but at the same time allows for both interesting gameplay and look. There was something a little... off... about the platforming, but I can't put my finger on exactly what. The obstacles toe the edge of readability. I wasn't sure whether to blame myself or the level author whenever I misread something. I think somebody quicker to figure out the obstacles would have a field day with it. Still, the autoscroller was fast paced, fun, and had creative obstacles that wouldn't really work elsewhere. I will say that bringing the Yoshi to that point was pretty annoying though. I don't mind the slopes. I find that if I don't panic, they aren't a huge issue.

Neon Castle would fit straight into being the castle of an earlygame world. It's straightforward castle mechanics, but solid overall.
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

Gotta say, I wish I didn't know that the scores were all wonky, because I think I would be VERY excited to see what 8 levels were better than Ice Cutting Site.
Like, man. What a great combination of difficulty and fairness. I can't wait until I get to this level for myself, even if I know it'll take me plenty of tries with my skill.

I can not believe that this is a level that's gimmick is "make the normally blind jumps fair and not actually blind." It's incredible, and works so well.
コンコン
zagesaw

Re: VLDC9 - vitreous locomotives diffracted cosmos 9

Post by zagesaw »

Honestly I don't think Stellar Garden was all that stellar and deserving of best world placement. It's a good level with great aesthetics,but it's just a generic safe level. It doesn't really do anything wrong, but nothing amazing either while other levels in the contest deserved it more. for a level design contest a blandly designed level shouldn't be in the best world, even if the aesthetics looks really good. I definitely agree with Koopster's score more than the other judges for this level.

Ice Cutting Site was amazing on the other hand and deserved Top 3. While not as amazing as his winning level in VLDC8, it's still presents creative gimmicks I haven't seen before, along with great level design and balanced difficulty. Using the clear blocks to show what is happening below is pretty clever. The level also was generous with powerups to support the demanding difficulty. The aesthetics were vanilla but still pleasing on the eyes too.

Tomorrow we have a level that has been ranked 60 placements higher than it should have been. The only level I actually disliked playing in this world.