(shouting)

Hyper Light Drifter - Sarah McLachlan is the protagonist

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Hyper Light Drifter - now with panda

Post by Alice »

Xirix wrote:It's a shame you're not very good with the grenade raocow, you can pretty much kill everything at the end of the crystal spike gauntlet with one. :P
Didn't really help that he seemingly forgot he even had one for awhile for some reason, lol. Seemed like the single most optimal place to make use of it in the game so far to me.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote:Game is 40% off right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/25785 ... 1_4_4__617
well I know I'm getting some steam credit for christmas so it looks like I'll be playing it before the LP is over!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm attempting what the game calls "New Game+" mode now, which is in my opinion not an accurate moniker. Although the game's comment when selecting it is accurate: "

Beware.

"
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

I love HLD's NG+. It just works really well with the game's mechanics, and it feels super satisfying when you actually beat the game.

EDIT:

West Monolith #3:

MIDNIGHT LOOMING

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I was so bad at the football minigame when I played, I didn't even bother to finish it. Also raocow, you could have just dashed onto the crystal mine and quickly dashed back to activate it, then you could have safely gotten the money. :P
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Xirix wrote:I was so bad at the football minigame when I played, I didn't even bother to finish it. Also raocow, you could have just dashed onto the crystal mine and quickly dashed back to activate it, then you could have safely gotten the money. :P
It took me a while to beat it. I actually figured out my own way to cheese it, because the opponent AI, while annoying, is very predictable and easily exploitable.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
XionGaTaosenai

Post by XionGaTaosenai »

To answer your question in the video raocow, the crystal ceiling place (and the monolith next to it) was indeed what I was talking about. If you look closely, you'll see that the crystal ceiling is actually a giant robot with the crystal in his eye: the same one, in fact, that the lore guy mentions to you.

You're still missing at least two keys and a monolith in the woods as a whole. I myself have no clue where the missing monolith is.

Post by 10204307 »

I'll give you a hint: it's somewhere where you would really expect a secret to be hidden in any video game.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

This game is oddly relaxing for something largely concerned with murder and brutality. There's a few ways to interpret this, but I like to think of it as a reminder that there's still beauty in the world even in times of hardship and misery. Just as we are reminded that life goes on by the plants reclaiming scarred battlefields and thriving atop the rusted and useless hulks of ancient murder engines.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

I just finished up South Zone, sorta.

Missing a key. Is there one in the 8 module segment?

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

The game is on sale for $12 for Steam's winter sale. Get it now if you guys think it looks cool.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

The south path is pretty sweet, and intrigueing. The module boss is super fun too.

Post by 10204307 »

South Monolith #3:

DISTORTION OF LIFE, DEVOURING BODY

The south area is probably my favorite area in this game. Lots of neat lore stuff there, plus the music is really good, and it's got a nice aesthetic. Cool minibosses, too.

Also, the pink equipment makes your stamina start to recharge faster.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Wow poor helper drifter guy, not only did he die here after nursing you back to health and guiding you on your way... but now he is forgotten and mistaken for some kind of pig creature. XD
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow, once you find the last (fourth) South monolith, you may want to consider putting the rest of the South on hold and going to find the remaining monoliths first. The reward you get for finding all the monoliths is very much worth it.

Post by 10204307 »

Voltgloss wrote:raocow, once you find the last (fourth) South monolith, you may want to consider putting the rest of the South on hold and going to find the remaining monoliths first. The reward you get for finding all the monoliths is very much worth it.
He technically got the fourth South monolith today, since you can activate the monoliths in whatever order you want.

On that note...

South Monolith #1:

OVERWHELMING WONDERS AND POWER

South Monolith #4:

THE FIRST VICTIM OF THE INVASION

I do recommend finding all of the monoliths though, especially since it fills you in on a large part of the game's backstory...!
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Xirix wrote: Wow poor helper drifter guy, not only did he die here after nursing you back to health and guiding you on your way... but now he is forgotten and mistaken for some kind of pig creature. XD
Samuel Beckett wrote:VLADIMIR: (sententious). To every man his little cross . (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is mistaken for some sort of glass pig.
thatguyif

Re: Hyper Light Drifter - let's pay attention to things

Post by thatguyif »

Voltgloss wrote:raocow, once you find the last (fourth) South monolith, you may want to consider putting the rest of the South on hold and going to find the remaining monoliths first. The reward you get for finding all the monoliths is very much worth it.
To be fair, he still hasn't found the last North monolith...then again I haven't either :\

Soooo, because controls are never fully explained, a couple things to note:

-As with the chain dashing, the two dash-style attacks require timed pressing. Depending on which button you hit first, you'll get either or. Hitting X first triggers the light dash attack, while hitting A first (as you have done) will trigger the lunge attack (for lack of a better name).

-The lunge attack gets most of its damage from physics: The actual attack damage is 1, with the bonus damage coming from if the opponent hits a wall. That's why, for bosses and large enemies such as the tyrant, who don't get pushed back by the lunge, or in open spaces where there are few objects for enemies to crash into, it's not particularly useful, since it's no better than a sword swing.

-The light dash attack is very useful as a defensive tool, because you will go through your enemy regardless of its type. This makes it even more useful than a regular dash, where you'll just stop in front of an enemy. (also great in clearing swarms)

-If you can figure out how to use the charge attack properly, it can be your friend. Its damage output is among the highest in the game, with only

the final gun

exceeding it (at times). Additionally, it can be really useful in clearing swarms when you don't have a grenade, as its hit radius is pretty big (and damage output larger). That said, you have only a brief moment of (limited) mobility once you charge it. The trick is to position yourself with a quick hit, followed by the charge.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If he's gonna go for the missing monoliths, someone should probably figure out where he's missing keys too, so he can do that at the same time.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

On the possible area of the missing North monolith (this doesn't reveal how to access an area, but rather points out a place I think raocow saw but never found how to reach):
Did raocow ever find how to teleport to the spot shown on the right side of the screen in video 5, at 5:48?

Post by 10204307 »

raocow is missing 1 key from the North, 0 keys from the East, 2 keys from the West, and 4 keys from the South.

The monolith raocow is missing in the north (North Monolith #3) is probably the hardest one to find in the game. You need to be very thorough in your search for it, and that includes searching through secret passages that you've already found.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Lizard who tries to hide by putting a box on his head is the best npc.

Post by 10204307 »

South Monolith #2:

DESPERATE HUNGER FOR PROGRESS

I feel like raocow may have misinterpreted the lizardpeople's motivations here a bit.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

SAJewers wrote:If he's gonna go for the missing monoliths, someone should probably figure out where he's missing keys too, so he can do that at the same time.
Monoliths, maybe, keys not right this minute. The reason for this is

the missing key in the north requires ALL the modules for some inexplicable reason

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image