(shouting)

Pink Lets Plays (Current: Phantasy Star Online)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Pink Lets Plays (Current: Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link)

Post by Ashan »

Well, now that I've actually watched the video...

I absolutely loved the few seconds where you were mashing buttons on the "select a file" screen. I think we've all done that at least once in our life. xD

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can't go across the dissolving bridge without hopping across it and splitting it into little hovering segments. :3 I'll never understand why that's so entertaining to me.
Pink

Post by Pink »

I can tell it has been too long since I have done a regular playthrough cause I kept forgetting to update all the things when I post new videos...! Got four new ones since my last post...

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nily3cdfxWY
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQUzPuubY8
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ZBB57BQT8
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLbpnajLmS0
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

No critiques with the gameplay, although you're getting close to the point where my mind starts to get a bit fuzzy about the game. The only issue I have so far is that I see you keep using "of" instead of "have" in the commentary.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Just watch these last four videos, and I want to point something out: Despite what you said, fairies DO appear on roadways, should you cross them.

After beating the game on my 3DS, I attempted a 'minimum item run', but using the New Game + you are givin. All your levels and spells are kept, but all items are taken.

This means I went through death mountain, in the dark. I'm so poud of myself.

A curious thing about the dark caves is that the orange ax enemies glow brightly, handy against those annoying guys. Their ax throwing cousins though, are still black.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Pink

Post by Pink »

@Bean - Considering my English is a little messy, stuff like that is likely to be all over the place...! Aaaand admittedly I do not exactly proof-read the commentary much if at all... XD

@Sebby19 - People keep mentioning that, BUT, at the very same instant that I say that, a fairy DOES bump into me while on a road tile and it did not appear. Perhaps one's life has to not be full in order for them to appear?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I thought they appeared on the roads, too, but it's been a few years since I've played this. Maybe I'm getting it confused with those one block squares of sand after you've hammered those rocks down.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Pink wrote:@Sebby19 - People keep mentioning that, BUT, at the very same instant that I say that, a fairy DOES bump into me while on a road tile and it did not appear. Perhaps one's life has to not be full in order for them to appear?
Uhh, I don't think that was a fairy, but a glitched moblin icon.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Pink

Post by Pink »

Hmm... suppose I would have to go back and take a closer look to see if it actually was a fairy icon or not. That is the only time it turned up during recording so I never got a counter-example to work with.

That said, time for the palace 3 video, and seriously, screw this palace and its blue Iron Knuckle with no room for jumping...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGhyUuVRb9w
Pink

Post by Pink »

Well, took awhile, but got part 7 finished and uploaded. Got all sorts of recording issues when trying to capture my gameplay for the second chunk of the game I did, but ah well. When all else fails, use fire and so on and so forth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KgqPdNM2lM

I realize I do not know about most of the places where you receive hints about hidden heart and magic containers, but seriously, most of those are more hidden than the containers themselves...!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I think I just used an online guide or an old game magazine when I was playing. Just like videos I've seen of Castlevania II, some of these secret areas are just a bit too obtuse for my liking.
Pink

Post by Pink »

I can only imagine a kid trying to figure out some of this game's secrets... Especially since some are mandatory (finding all Magic Containers since you need them for the Spell spell... finding the village for the Spell spell in the first place)... Yeah, this game really throws on the "Guide Dang It" in the last 1/3 of the game or so, hehe.

Now for palace 4... Screw that boss... seriously, that thing teleports way too fast! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYwK2cqIDqY
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You know that room you used the fairy in, right? And how it first appeared in dungeon 3? You might recall that if you try to fight through the blocks, you come across a red potion.

Some of the time.

Becuase that is one of those spots where a Red Iron Knuckle can appear. That plus low ceiling plus those heads shooting at you equals PAIN!

The Giant Wizzrobe didn't pose to much of a problem for me, though.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Pink

Post by Pink »

Yeah, any of the places you can attack to get a red potion have a chance of causing a red Iron Knuckle to appear instead... Highly annoying to say the least.

Upload delays from moving aside, here is the palace 5 video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmCxZIK7KGM
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Man, I had forgotten how tedious these later palaces are. I'm not even talking about the fake wall thing here, just the constant back and forth you have to do.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Pink wrote:Yeah, any of the places you can attack to get a red potion have a chance of causing a red Iron Knuckle to appear instead... Highly annoying to say the least.
Except maybe the 1st dungeon.

You know, you could have walked down that river. And after the long brigde, directly south as well.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Pink

Post by Pink »

So many things I do not know/remember about this game...! Not sure I ever knew the boots let you walk on river water, always thought it was just that one path since that one at least has some form of indication that there is something important in that direction.

Time to journey to the next palace, though! Where my list of possibly inaccurate information continues..! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBxpRj3dIPY
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ahh, the hammer. No where in the game does it tell you it can chop down trees. Especially after the fact that other hidden areas can be reached without chopping it down.

Here's a map of where you can walk on water (dark blue): http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563487-zeld ... faqs/12720

They didn't mark the river in the labyrinth, but oh well.

I believe you need all the magic jars for the Thunder spell, not the Spell spell.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Pink

Post by Pink »

Huh, there was a lot more water you could walk on than I would of thought! I guess only the "shallow" water counts. Guess my information is likely inaccurate... one guide I looked at said you need all the magic containers for Spell, and all the other spells in the game for Thunder.

Time for the next palace, though! This one... gets a bit confusing cause of the looping pit segment and lots of branching paths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1OMkSsRQBE
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Just so others can know, the reflect spell also allows you to block maces and axes that you normally hurt you.

About what I said for the requirements of getting Spell and Thunder, I might be wrong on that.

When I found that link doll in that palace, I was actually quite relieved that I had to get in now, instead of going "Oooh! A link doll! Bah, I'll have to save you for later"
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Now I remembered the boss of this place, but I couldn't remember a thing about the layout. I do, however, recall going somewhere I shouldn't have before picking up the cross.

Anyway, I'm itching to see how you handle the Great Temple Palace Thingamajig of Anaheim because I could not get through that one on a normal run, let alone a no damage one.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Time for my best Pink impression. Ahem...

Hi guys! Sorry for not uploading recently. Anyway, this video is a short one, with just a run through a gauntlet on the way to the final palace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9F-hpt ... ature=plcp

Anyway, time for my (Sebby19) reactions. I was impressed that you jumped those four block wide gaps. I always used the jump spell to not take any chances. I died many times, either on the path itself, or in the Great Palace. I never used the sole checkpoint you were given, no way I'm doing the Great Palace with 3 lives. I just restart and reget those Link Dolls, and do it all again.

For others, there are places with good P-bags here and there on the volcano path, and even if you have max stats, get them. It brings you that much closer to a 1-up, and a refill of either your life or magic.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I watched this one the other day and will also say along with Sebby that I used the Jump spell to guarantee my safety on a lot of those long leaps over the lava. I'm just not good at a lot of these NES games because I had max stats and still remember struggling just to make it to the palace as well as in the palace itself whenever I made it there.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah, that place was brutal.

One trick you can use for the forced fights is to wait before it, and then go onto when a wandering encounter appears. You will get the random battle instead.

Doesn't work in caves, bridges, and towns, for obvious reasons.

Fun fact: If you manage to lure a wandering enemy onto water, and touch it, NOTHING HAPPENS! The enemy sprite just disappears.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And she wound up posting the final video in the series with yesterday's run of the Great Temple. This place is easy to get lost in if you don't have a guide, but Pink went in and destroyed the place in around ten minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT14yBr5wuA

Needless to say, I was pretty impressed by that. I kind of want to see if I can go and beat the game now that I know some of the tricks she showed off there.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I actually made it to the Thunder Bird on my first try through there, so I consider myself proud of that. However, after the game over, I decided to explore the rest of the palace 8-) . End result is that you only need to go through half the palace.
The junctions where you exit an elavator and choose left or right are the important ones. Usually, the path of most resistrance is key.

Or go left, right, right, left.

Dark Link was fun through, and I didn't abuse the crouch in the corner technique too much (maybe one or two hits in my winning run).

EDIT: Hmm, I found the jump strike ineffective during my fight.
I remember years back playing a flash game the recreated the fights against Wart, some Double Dragon guy (I think, it was some fighting game), and the Thunder Bird/Dark Link battles. So my first true experience with Zelda 2 was at the end! I did beat all those bosses.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica