(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: MaGL 3 results: suicide pact

Post by ft029 »

Manky Bridge was a yellow level on a bridge, and... and... uhh no excuse
Mosts Awards:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

You can actually make a a kaizo trap happen at the end.
dont wanna jihad no more
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

This level has a certain simple elegance to it. Although it largely uses vanilla elements, it assembles them in a way that feels very fresh and creative. While there is a teensy bit of learn (exactly what the gimmick of each section is about) by (probably) dying, it's so near the beginning of each section, and thus so non-punishing, that I really can't hold it against the level. What's more, while the level uses its gimmick in all manner of creative combinations, it doesn't feel the need to drag things out--it's on the shorter side, but not in such a way as to feel unsatisfying--nor does it succumb to the temptation to indulge in completely goo-goo-nuts implementations of its gimmick towards the end. It's reasonably challenging, but an encouraging way that keeps you engaged and motivated to meet its challenges, and generally makes you feel good for completing it.

I had no idea that secret exit existed, though. Viewing it here, it's the element I'm perhaps least sure of, as it mostly abandons the "use the key to advance" (aside from the obvious application of advancing through the keyhole) theme which tightly weaves together the rest of the level, and it feels like it takes control away from the player in a way that also seems at odd with the rest of of the level's modus operandi. Definitely an approach I'd never seen before, though, I'll say that.

Finally, despite the simple æsthetic, I'd like to make a shout-out to the music choice here. I feel like most designers would have gone with a peppy athletic theme here, but this particular song gives the level a decidedly different, floatier atmosphere, almost like a dance, which makes the level feel even more intriguing and distinctive. I'm a big atmosphere freak myself, and it's amazing how little touches like this can drastically affect the impression a level makes on the player. Well done, ft.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

disparate reactions to levels in the past week:

a guy - An accurate depiction of Someguy's mood at this level:

Claytotem2 - Oh man, live scribbles! Vastly better than my own abominable doodles of reckoning [shame]

nothobz - And so we see a nice relaxing medium between the forced poverty of Super Mario World Ascetism and the wanton ruinous capitalism of New Super Mario Bros 2

morsel/morceau - Oh man, Portrait of Ruin tunes with Mario Galaxy 2 gimmick. Also that mushroom trap at the end was deliciously evil, I must tip my hat at something so devious and diabolical.
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i hope laziness prevails
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Fausthieb

Post by Fausthieb »

ft029 was the only level I played before results started coming up (well except my own of course) and yeah it is pretty neat but oh boy who would have thought my only pick would reach 3rd place lol.
Due to the yellow dot I did not really bother looking for a secret exit though :/
I comment more on youtube under a different name: Kunstkritik
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

i guess we're gonna know who the winner of magl3 is tomorrow. been a long road.

ft's level was interesting. i think his cldc level is a lot cooler tho.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

ft's level looks really solid, and pretty creative, too. It makes me want to figure out Layer 2, and then mess around with it for a fun result.
Also, the key gag is hilarious. (there being nothing up beyond there is also silly, on a meta level)
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR 3rd PLACE:

3rd: ft029
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 28/30
DIFFICULTY: 5/5
CREATIVITY: 10/10
AESTHETICS: 8/10 (3/5 GFX + 5/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 56/60

COMMENTS:
Oh gosh I love this little level, hahah.

I don't think I've seen a level that uses keys as platforms like
this before so extensively. The first half is really cool with
its reaction based obstacles and layer 2 key-platform-based
timing sorta thing, and the second half mixes it up a bit with
vertical layer 2 scrolling and figuring out what to do on the
fly. I also love the little surprises here and there; it makes
it feel like a worldpeace level, lol. Great music choice btw.

I also really love the secret exit; it's one of the most
creative vanilla obstacles I've seen. It uses the disco shell
and layer 2 in such an unusual but well made fashion.

The only suggestions I have are that the graphics are a bit
bare (especially the background) and that it could stand to be
slightly longer, but what you have is fantastic nonetheless.
Amazing job!

TLDR:
+ Great and fun design
+ Awesome gimmick with the key platforms and layer 2
- Background is pretty bare

OTHER:
this level certainly wasn't manky, hahahahahaHAHAHA

-PYRO-
Fun: 28/30
Difficulty: 4/5
Creativity: 9/10
Aesthetics: 7/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 53/60
Comment: This was super awesome! I really love how you used keys in new and interesting ways, and all of the obstacles were very clearly well-thought-through and there was a ton of stuff that just lined up really well. And the secret exit was actually good, wow, incredible! But yeah. This was super amazing. Using keys to survive layer smash, riding on keys pushed by layer 2, there's just a ton of super creative uses for keys here. And the disco elevator thing is kinda amazing. But yeah. I love this level, it's really creative and great. This has been Pyro babbling nonsense about a really good level.

-KOOPSTER-
Favorite

DIFFICULTY: 4/5
AESTHETICS: 9/10

TOTAL SCORE: 56/60

dude ft, good level. The length/difficulty are IN POINT and the ideas are extremely impressive. I was getting a bit worn out of the gimmick after dying way too many times on that final springboard setup (it's a bit more annoying than it should've been tbh), but then the secret exit path came up. I think the only things this level suffers from are the not very effective coin indicators (had to die to realise I had to grab and fall with the key in the vertical part) and also I think the secret path in particular is barely challenging due to excessive powerups. or maybe I was just lucky idk. Anyway really nice work overall. I love this!!

-S.N.N.-
DIFFICULTY: 4/5
AESTHETICS: 7/10

TOTAL: 54/60

COMMENTS: Super creative level here. The first half was a ton of fun to navigate, and I enjoyed seeing the puzzles you cooked up using the layer 2 smash + key combination. The second half was appealing as well, though I feel like it required a bit more foresight and quick reflexes, and that last set of jumps with the springboard seemed quite a bit harder than everything else before it. Still really enjoyable though.

So, any predictions on the winner?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGL 3 results: janked up magl party

Post by Voltgloss »

S.N.N., were you aware of the secret exit (you don't mention it in your comments where the other judges did)? If not, would it have changed your evaluation any?
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

i think Rameau('s Nephew) is gonna win, but only because of the narrative it would provide. Beginning and ending the top 5 with a romp with 3 puzzley-type gimmick-centric shenanigans in the middle is more aesthetically pleasing than having to separate those gimmicks.
(plus being that other romp leaves me obligated to root for my spiritual successor).

But if Lazy wins I'll still be happy. As the one level I played (besides idol's ;)) it almost entirely rewired the way i thought about level design in a mario hack. Which seems like quite a feat. Plus it was fun as heck, etcetcetc
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:*really deep feedback*
I must admit that I didn't realize most of the atmosphere stuff when designing this. I was just trying to think of a few very creative ideas and making each obstacle fair. As for the music, I was playing Banzai Mario World the other day and found the music in Starlight Switches especially pleasant, and I just thought it was perfect for this level.

Yeah. So it is possible to make nice vanilla levels, :D
Mosts Awards:
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Voltgloss wrote:S.N.N., were you aware of the secret exit (you don't mention it in your comments where the other judges did)? If not, would it have changed your evaluation any?
I was, yes. I got the secret exit before the normal exit when I played it so I think I focused more on writing about the regular path, but it did in fact influence my score (the creativity portion). It's a really cool idea.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

oh boy, i'm excited to see the top two. these levels are getting increasingly cooler and excellently designed-er. i think i might just take a peak at them myself cause i'm so excited
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

ft's level was a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, it seems like we have two really different levels for top 2, don't we?
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I remember posting a while back that I really like levels that have flavor as a supplement to good gameplay/creativity.
Le Neveu de Rameau's was definitely that level, hahah. I really loved how the gimmick slowly evolves over the course of the level.
Congrats on 2nd!
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I WANT TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO CONGRATULATE RAMEAU'S NEPHEW

I am sure Rameau would be proud :D
video games
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

holy shit i love this level so much aaaaaaa

the atmosphere is so cool, the graphics are great, and i love the gimmick. it's a shame it didn't get 1st, i kinda don't like the 1st place level as much.

also tower of heaven music A++
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Congratulations, RAMEAU'S NEPHEW.

You won 67th place from the end, which is really good.

Now, I wonder who won. Oh well, I guess I will see tomorrow.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

SWEET MOTHER EARTH, SHE'S ALL GREEN AND LIVERY
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR 2nd PLACE:

2nd: Le Neveu de Rameau
-FROZENQUILLS-
CREATIVITY: 9/10
AESTHETICS: 10/10 (5/5 GFX + 5/5 MUS)

TOTAL: 57/60

COMMENTS:
Wow.
This is one weird level, but weird in a very good way!

The story behind it is really intriguing and philosophical,
while the design flows very well and stays fun. I especially
enjoyed how you threw surprise gimmicks at the player such as
the vertical and horizontal wraparound in each section, and
these gimmicks worked very well with the new enemies you've
provided.

I think I liked the "cruel father" section the most, as it
really pushed the creative boundaries of the vertical wraparound
through its use of line guides and saws. The "sweet mother" part
was nice too, but not as fun in my opinion.

The aesthetics were perfect, bringing out an abstract and
mysterious vibe to the level.

So in summary, excellent job with this. It started out a bit
rompy, but I loved how complex it got in terms of design,
creativity, and even story. This sort of super neat progression
is what really makes this a top level.

Well done!

TLDR:
+ Excellent aesthetics
+ Fun and creative design, with surprises
+ Great philosophical sort of story
- Sweet mother section could have been more interesting

OTHER:
and so mario lived the rest of his days on the moon

-PYRO-
Fun: 27/30
Difficulty: 3/5
Creativity: 8/10
Aesthetics: 10/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 53/60
Comment: Oh geez. This was sooooo weeeeeiiiiird. There's a lot of really surreal imagery and design, and both endings of the level are just bizarre. And on top of just a really alien atmosphere, it's designed really well too, with some super fun vertical and horizontal wrap gimmicks that are used pretty well. The graphics really helped push the alien atmosphere too, there were just some really weird designs for enemies and you could see relations between them, hence Family Affairs. The two exits were done really well too, with a choice of path in the middle of the stage, and the stage is fun enough that I didn't mind redoing the first half. It's just an overall really well-designed level that just makes itself that much better with some very cool aesthetics and atmosphere.

-KOOPSTER-
CREATIVITY: 100/10
AESTHETICS: 9/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 4/5

TOTAL SCORE: 56/60

Pretty sure this stage is poetry analog to your posts, because I don't understand most of it, but I love it anyway. Seriously though what an amazing level! Had some issues with a few enemy hitboxes though.

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 26/30
CREATIVITY: 9/10
AESTHETICS: 10/10

TOTAL: 55/60

COMMENTS: As expected, your level was super quirky, unique, and a ton of fun to play. I found the split at the midway a nice touch, especially since each of the two paths provides a very different and interesting challenge. That being said, I did feel like the upper route was a little more fun than the lower route, only because you used the vertical wrap in a bunch of clever ways, and not so much with the horizontal wrap. That aside, the level had an awesome atmosphere and I had a blast playing through it.

you'll never guess the winner
Tyty

Re: MaGL 3 results: daddy issues

Post by Tyty »

I really liked this level and thought it would win. The vertical wrap is really cool and works way more smoothly than I would've expected, and the whole level is designed really well around it. Usuaully when people try to make levels with vertical wrap there's a lot of just falling and avoiding projectiles and stuff but this was really tastefully done imo. There were a lot of neat setups, and the line guide stuff in the upper path is really fun. I love me some line guides.

I want to see a horizontal wrap with as much fluidity as this vertical one, but I think that has to do more with mario being unable to completely go off-screen horizontally or something? I'm not really sure how it works, I'm no ASM expert.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

So, this entry had an average score of 77.75 (57, 53, 146, 55).

I wonder how good the winner is then.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

by the way, does anyone know all the early levels I missed their secret exits? If I'm gonna be doing a cleanup, it'd be useful to know what it is I'm missing, haha.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

If you want to do a cleanup, start with your computer desk.