(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: MaGL 3 results: those poor fish

Post by ft029 »

FrozenQuills wrote:Also, I think there's one more angrycow level coming later which will be interesting to see. And I'm actually the lowest scorer for it this time :P
I can think of several angrycow levels actually. This is the first time I've brought up my own level in a long time, but I hope I win I hope my level isn't angrycow.

I actually disliked the whole "multiple paths" thing going on. It was a well done multiple paths thing, but the idea of multiple paths itself is just not very good because I want to explore every single bit of the level, which is really boring since there aren't any actual setups in the level. I'm an impatient person, so it might be because I really want to move ahead in the level, but my OCD tells me that I need to explore every tile in the level. Those two traits don't work together well, and this level brings out both of them inside me lol. The sliding section is quite fun though. Finding the secret moon and such was nice :D

Despite all of this, a 27/60 is... harsh?
Mosts Awards:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

FrozenQuills wrote:My relatively low score for SAJewers level is mostly in part that the level is kinda slow paced. Like I wanted to get to the next set of obstacles quickly since everything else was mostly just being able to dodge things on a platform. I did enjoy how those obstacles were designed though.
Yeah, that was a problem I was trying hard to alleviate as much as I could without outright spamming enemies. Probably could've done more.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kles
First name: h

Post by Kles »

I'm really not seeing Pyro's complaints on Tyty and FPzero's level. Is there something wrong with a level that tries to just be altogether solid without trying to do something new?
Money

Post by Money »

How many levels has Pyro even rated the fun higher than 15/30? I cant think of any off the top of my head
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

SO. HILL TOP HARBOR. Yeah uh. I did noooot like it.

I didn't state this earlier (at least I think?) but I did noot care for nonlinearity in this contest. It just flew over my head and never registered as anything worth thinking about. My scores for KirbyComment, this level, and an upcoming one were not affected by it. But uh, yeah. I look for creativity and stuff that I've never seen before in terms of gameplay in levels to consider them truly great, and this one did not deliver. Flashy sparkly aesthetics and dirt formations aren't going to affect any of my scores that aren't "Aesthetics". Hill Top Harbor did not provide anything new and was just a rompy nothing level that I blasted through in a few minutes. Honestly I find this level super insulting, because it's very clear that tons of effort was put into the level with all the aesthetics, but it was wasted on making a safe beach level that I will probably forget about in a year or so.

Also the fact that the last section was automatic completely flew over my head first time through, but I learned about it before finishing judging and didn't adjust my score because I don't really care for automatic stuff or find it that neat.
MoneyMan wrote:How many levels has Pyro even rated the fun higher than 15/30? I cant think of any off the top of my head
I've been INCREDIBLY harsh with my fun scores, yeah. It's the primary reason why I'm such a low scorer, I think.

EDIT:
RoboSllim, Skulldug13 - 16/30
Enjl, waffledoctor87, koplje, SAJewers - 17/30
MECHDRAGON777, EvilMariobot - 18/30

lol

this is completely pointless and meaningless but i did it anyways ;p
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Mosts Awards:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Pyro wrote: I didn't state this earlier (at least I think?) but I did noot care for nonlinearity in this contest. It just flew over my head and never registered as anything worth thinking about.

Also the fact that the last section was automatic completely flew over my head first time through, but I learned about it before finishing judging and didn't adjust my score because I don't really care for automatic stuff or find it that neat.
Yes but, in retrospect, do you feel that you should've cared more about it?

It concerns me that a judging style would deliberately not consider an element that can enhance a level. It's one thing to take an aspect and weigh it according your judgment, but another to dismiss an aspect.

On a tangentially related note, it seems that there's been a difference in mindset based on which engine is used in a contest, i.e. SMW or SMBX. From observing talkhaus SMW contests like this one, I felt that the way peeps look at the contest - the vey attitude with which SMW engine is treated - is that the game's fit for action levels, and the levels tend to not deviate significantly from that core. At best you get unconventional mechanics and physics. But in contrast, the way SMBX is viewed is a much broader-purpose engine with people expecting to use it for entirely different reasons. Like I'm sure you can make a story-heavy RPG Makerish adventure game with this (at least with 2.0/lua advancements). But for some reason, doing such a thing in SMW doesn't seem to... click with romhackers?
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Pyro wrote:SO. HILL TOP HARBOR. Yeah uh. I did noooot like it.

I didn't state this earlier (at least I think?) but I did noot care for nonlinearity in this contest. It just flew over my head and never registered as anything worth thinking about. My scores for KirbyComment, this level, and an upcoming one were not affected by it. But uh, yeah. I look for creativity and stuff that I've never seen before in terms of gameplay in levels to consider them truly great, and this one did not deliver. Flashy sparkly aesthetics and dirt formations aren't going to affect any of my scores that aren't "Aesthetics". Hill Top Harbor did not provide anything new and was just a rompy nothing level that I blasted through in a few minutes. Honestly I find this level super insulting, because it's very clear that tons of effort was put into the level with all the aesthetics, but it was wasted on making a safe beach level that I will probably forget about in a year or so.

MoneyMan wrote:How many levels has Pyro even rated the fun higher than 15/30? I cant think of any off the top of my head
I've been INCREDIBLY harsh with my fun scores, yeah. It's the primary reason why I'm such a low scorer, I think.

EDIT:
RoboSllim, Skulldug13 - 16/30
Enjl, waffledoctor87, koplje, SAJewers - 17/30
MECHDRAGON777, EvilMariobot - 18/30

lol

this is completely pointless and meaningless but i did it anyways ;p
So out of all revealed levels, you found my level along with EvilMariobot's the most fun? Nice to see.

Also, if I use the SA patch, would I need to remake every sprite?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Tyty

Post by Tyty »

ano0maly wrote: On a tangentially related note, it seems that there's been a difference in mindset based on which engine is used in a contest, i.e. SMW or SMBX. From observing talkhaus SMW contests like this one, I felt that the way peeps look at the contest - the vey attitude with which SMW engine is treated - is that the game's fit for action levels, and the levels tend to not deviate significantly from that core. At best you get unconventional mechanics and physics. But in contrast, the way SMBX is viewed is a much broader-purpose engine with people expecting to use it for entirely different reasons. Like I'm sure you can make a story-heavy RPG Makerish adventure game with this (at least with 2.0/lua advancements). But for some reason, doing such a thing in SMW doesn't seem to... click with romhackers?
There's a big problem with that, honestly. SMBX is much easier to work with. Not only does it come with more right off the bat in terms of playable characters and things like multiple layers and triggers, but if you want to make any major changes to how smw operates you need to learn a somewhat obscure assembly language. Lua is a scripting language and is waaaay easier to just pick up and learn. Not to mention screen real estate.

When it comes down to it you end up limited in smw to having to make things that at least play like smw unless you're willing to take the time to learn assembly. If you aren't, you're limited to what people have released publicly which is mostly just enemies and stuff.

It's sorta like... I guess, SMBX is an engine, but SMW is a game, and you have to do a lot more work to get a compete game looking and acting how you want if it's significantly different than what you want to do already.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

SMBX and SMW I think are two widely different things now that you can't really compare them anymore. A few years ago you could debate whether SMBX or SMW was better, now they're just different.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Oh god this turned out to be a huge post I'm so sorry i typed so many words

I tend to have a very "Nintendo" philosophy behind game design that's generally based around progression of a central idea. This probably wasn't on full display during this level due to the collaborative nature of having two people build the level but I think we did well enough. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a "safe" level that doesn't have a super obvious gimmick to it. Gimmicks can be more creative, sure, but I've seen so many poorly executed gimmicks in the SMW engine that I tend to stay away from them when I build level. Any gimmick that doesn't fit well enough in the traditional trappings of Mario usually doesn't sit well with me because once you take your gimmick away from the standard run and jump gameplay Mario provides you run the risk of frustration and game over as a player has to learn a gimmick in an engine it probably wasn't built for.

The romp is Mario's bread and butter. Nintendo's 2D Mario games are usually Point A to Point B with enemies and a level theme or small gimmick in-between. That's what I grew up playing and that's where I started building my levels from a design perspective. If I'm gonna make a romp, I'm gonna make the best romp I can, no apologies.

-----

Anyway, let me talk about Hill Top Harbor for a while. This got way longer than I expected it to so I've decided to put it in spoilers to save page space. Hopefully someone likes reading explanations of how the sausage gets made otherwise I've been typing for ages for nothing!

Tyty and I have known each other for nearly 10 years now so we kinda know how the other thinks. We decided that neither of us would have actually gotten anywhere with our levels separately so we figured why not work on an entry together? We'd made a level together in the past and it scored us 6th place in VLDC6 three years ago so we were confident we could put together something good.

Tyty had the idea that he wanted to build a level around a music track. That track was Etrian Odyssey 3's Harbor music. He ended up doing the music port himself and man did it sound good in the end. Starting from a music track is not an easy way to design a level but it was an interesting challenge. While he finished the port, I started thinking about ways to represent a harbor. He'd expressed interest in a cliffside beach and I figured harbor should mean ships or cranes not unlike Ricco Harbor in Sunshine. We decided to combine the two ideas. I grabbed my old Girder construction graphics from SMWCP2 (which I figured I had a right to use even though the hack isn't out yet since they were my graphics to begin with), and he grabbed a nice beach background. Eventually we found beach tiles and those blue cliffs by digging around both SMWC's exgfx section and I think MFGG and put everything together.

Fun fact, the rom we used as a base is actually the rom I used to submit my entry to MaGL 1 way back when! If you go digging through it, you'll find my MaGL 1 level, High Fly Athletic, sitting there on Level 003 fully intact. We used this rom because it was already pre-patched with a few things like the custom piranhas and had a bunch of my custom drawn graphics and a nice shared palette still inside it.

I designed the first half of the level and the downwards vertical section. Tyty designed the sky part and the goal room. My levels aren't usually anywhere near as aesthetically pleasing as this one turned out, but with some help from Tyty drawing some custom graphics for the level, like the chains, ropes, pipes and crates I felt like I had to take the time to really make the place look as good as I could while still having a fun design to it.

While it might not be immediately clear, the theme of the level solidified itself around an idea and not a mechanic. The idea was simply multiple paths to get from Point A to Point B. After the start of the level you can usually choose to go high or low up to a point where paths converge and then split off again. The sky portion shows this best, where you start at one pipe and almost immediately get the option to go high or low, then the paths converge briefly near the oil pool with fish, then split off again into high, middle and low paths until you get to the pipe at the end of the level. Is there a true purpose behind the multiple paths? Other than a self-doubting fear that I usually always made very linear, single-pathed levels in the past, not really. As I was building the cliff parts in the first half I just started throwing down tiles and discovered that the high and low path idea was a really interesting one to explore and we decided to run with it.

We had a little bit of trouble with Tyty's sky section. At first he wanted to include the oil in the pipes as an actual mechanic that you could swim through. This wasn't planned to be anything more than recolored water but we had difficulty figuring out how or why Mario would be in oil up there. We played around with oil waterfalls but ultimately we decided to make all the oil purely cosmetic. In the final level, all instances of the oil are inaccessible and purely decorative. And yes, those poor fish in the oil were added for decorative purposes too. With the oil idea out, we instead sought to expand on the high and low path structure the first half had touched upon. At this point we hadn't solidified this idea as our central mechanic and the big formation I'd made in the first half was just a one-off landmass. Once we started playing with the variable paths in the sky however, we knew we'd stumbled on our central idea. He designed most of the section and I went in to touch up the landmasses because we agreed that I had a better grasp on how to make them look really nice.

The downhill section was a late addition to the level. We'd decided that the level felt a little short just ending it during the sky section but weren't sure how to lengthen it. The midpoint was at a good location and we didn't want to make the level too lopsided. I tried making a vertical section going upwards from the midpoint to the sky section but immediately had trouble figuring out how I wanted to have Mario climb the level. Sprite platforms had a tendency to de-spawn and the math platforms only move in one direction. I quickly threw out the idea of a vertical climb and was about to give up on a vertical section entirely when I had the idea to have Mario come down from the top of the girder structures he'd been platforming across in the clouds. Suddenly I was struck with the idea of doing the sliding section as not only a way to lengthen the level a little bit, but also provide a simple enough sublevel that it didn't really matter that the level was a little bit lopsided. It was meant mostly as a cooldown from the platforming done previously.

It ended up being probably the most complicated sublevel I have ever built in SMW. I started out placing the slopes, note blocks and math platforms for the slide and testing it extensively. Once I had an actual slide I then went in and started adding all the aesthetic details like other ledges, crates, girders, etc. Enemies were the last thing added since they were mostly cosmetic, especially where the sliding was concerned. I also knew that I wanted to have one of the Dragon Coins (resprited to be Miku coins--thanks Tyty :roll: ) not only be on the slide but require the player to jump off the slide to get it. If you jump as soon as you see it and keep holding down, you'll get it and continue sliding right back onto the main slide path. This sublevel alone too hours to build because, honestly, I went overly crazy with attention to detail. If you want to see the sublevel and my insanity in its entirety, I have an image of it right here.

Lastly, the goal area was done real quick by Tyty on the last or second-to-last day. Simple and sweet, complete with one Clapping Chuck applauding the player for a job well done. Or drowning and calling for help, either or.

A couple final points and I'll shut up.
-There's a secret area above the sky sublevel's exit to the vertical sublevel. raocow almost found it but he didn't jump over the ceiling at 13:18. There's a dumb injoke message box and a rainbow pipe in there, both references to the aforementioned VLDC6 level.
-I actually wish I hadn't put in the sign with the down arrow at the start of the slide section. I should have left it to the player to discover that it was a huge slide instead of outright telling them. That's the one thing I really would've changed if I were doing this level again.
-There are a ton of little details included in our graphics, probably way too many. I attempted to eliminate as much cutoff as I could, making custom tiles for basically everything that touched the water and left a shadow. There was a ton of ExAnimation done too to include the sparkling water surfaces SMB3's water uses across all the shadowed tiles.
-Neither of us had much experience using the math and carrot platforms so we decided to give them a try. You'll find a lot more of them in the level than most levels use so you could almost consider them a second theme. They didn't really have any big progression though so I think of them more as just stage elements.

Could we have been more ambitious with the level? Probably. Could it have been a little more focused overall? Most likely. Am I still extremely happy with the final product. Absolutely. I hadn't made a level in SMW in something like three years and it was nice to know I still had it. It was a lot of fun pooling our talents together to make the level and even if we scored a little lower than either of us anticipated we would I'm still very proud of the level itself. And in the end, we're all here to see a guy on the internet enjoy our levels anyway, scores be damned.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

pyro realtalk do you have fun playing smw even coz you seem to consistently have a ridiculously lower fun mark for every level compared to the other 3 judges. like you had some wild expectations that must've differed from everyone else or something lol
Money

Post by Money »

Honestly, yeah, like im sorry but saying a level is only worthwhile if its gameplay is something completely different from anything youve seen before is... really limiting. Like, levels can be good without being unique, and mario only really lends itself to so many types of gameplay (four, according to this in depth analysis) before you get something that at least tangentally is related to something else. Theres only so many element combos out there.

On top of that, again, i think romps get a bad rep and it's unfair to inherently think they're bad, because in a way it's an ingrown bias against easy levels, and sets a "your level must be this hard to be good" threshold that not everyone wants to design for. Any level is a romp if youre skilled enough.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

I don't think they're inherently bad.

Except in the context of standalone levels. Which contest levels are.

A romp's strengths is the fact that it's a really safe setting for the player to experiment with - be it just getting used to the controls or trying out a game's mechanics, especially those you unlock - while also allowing the creator to make the player more familiar with common gameplay elements. They're also good for pacing, say put right after a stopping point but before a mechanically challenging level to allow the player a natural warming-up point before they jam their face right into a saw. And, overall, they're just ways to add more gameplay length to a game without having to come up with something far more focused while also avoiding feeling like you're use cheap tricks to pad out gameplay.

A lot of Mario games aren't designed to have particularly interesting core gameplay mechanics, however, and are more designed for them to interact with stage gimmicks in easy-to-understand way to create a more interesting experience per level. I mean, compare SMW to SM64; as much as SM64 isn't designed in the slightest for precision platforming, Mario in that game has so many movement options and choices in actions in general that just moving from point A to point B without any sort of gimmick is far more interesting than doing the same in SMW. In SMW, you run and jump and can spin jump to not bounce on certain enemies and bounce on other enemies you normally can't. Cape flight can be pretty interesting, but most levels aren't designed for it at all so it usually just allows you to skip over them.

Which makes trying to make a SMW romp as a standalone level a really poor idea. A player's likely already gotten hang of the controls only a few levels in, and they'll run out of mechanics to mess around with pretty quickly, especially when you consider how many levels are designed to not have the cape or to have no spaces where you can easily get P-speed. So, you're left with ... jumping on dudes and jumping over pits. And it's impossible for a standalone level to help with pacing, since it's the entirety of the game. There's nothing that comes before it after it.

Which is really the issue. Romps are more for transit than anything, to get the player to more interesting levels at the appropriate time and skill level. I don't think anyone would want to just do nothing but ride a subway with no intention of going anywhere, unless the subway itself had enough toys and features to give it an actual reason to be an attraction.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to see romps get their due in a contest, a "Make A Good 1-1 / Tutorial Level" would be perfect. After all, even if the contest levels would still be standalone, the contest itself would have the context of the levels being a part of something greater ( which, no, the MaGLs don't have - after all, the entire concept is "make a good level," not "make a good level that takes place between x and y" ) and make that the goal to design around. And that goal is something, as I mentioned, stuff romps excel at and is actually something you don't want to shove random gimmicks into, not unless they manage to feel like something that'll actually be common to the entirety of the "game."
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

double post because entirely different topic woooo

Whatever systems are in place with the checkpoints and respawning in Mandew's level should honestly be commonplace. That looked waaaaaaay better than the whole rigmarole of getting tossed to the map screen after every death, especially when you consider that most people aren't nearly so generous with midpoints.

Only really issue I can think of is the fact that either lives or the timer should be tossed out - both of them serve the exact same purpose with that sort of system and it mostly just seems annoying to do well and have plenty of lives but not being able to use them to the fullest due to the timer, or to be given plenty of time in a level but not being able to take advantage of it due to the fact that you didn't life farm previously.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Agreed. Having to go back to the map every time is stupid; just give the player an option to leave via the menu.

Probably would've used that patch had I seen it.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Re: MaGL 3 results: mario kong country

Post by snoruntpyro »

an0maly: poor wording. It'd be more accurate to say that I never noticed it, not that I didn't care for it.

Arctangent said what I wanted to say and worded far better than I ever would have. Romps only belong in larger games, not as singular contest entries. Also SMW still had levels with gimmicks. Examples I can think of right now are Wendy's Castle and Valley Fortress, which focus on skewers and grinders. If you're playing the game fresh without any romhack experience, you would have never seen that before. That's new and interesting and adds to the gameplay.

Thinking of other levels. Donut Plains 1 introduces the cape and some new threatening enemies. The title screen level that I forgot the name of is all about swallowing huge amounts of enemies with Yoshi. Soda Lake is the only level with Torpedo Ted. That one garbage Forest of Illusion level is all about the slow winged platforms and getting sick because of the damn background. Chocolate Island whatever has that split paths gimmick with various factors. Donut Plains 3 introduces fuzzies and the rotating platform trio and the platform and line guides. SMW's levels aren't gimmickless.

Top 15
a guy
Cloaytonem2
ft029
gameguy888
idol
kuposan3
Lazy
Le Neveu De Rameau
lolyoshi
MiracleWater
morsel/morceau (aka rUdEbOi4000)
nothobz
Roykirbs
SMCslevelengine
Sturg
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Arctangent wrote:double post because entirely different topic woooo

Whatever systems are in place with the checkpoints and respawning in Mandew's level should honestly be commonplace. That looked waaaaaaay better than the whole rigmarole of getting tossed to the map screen after every death, especially when you consider that most people aren't nearly so generous with midpoints.

Only really issue I can think of is the fact that either lives or the timer should be tossed out - both of them serve the exact same purpose with that sort of system and it mostly just seems annoying to do well and have plenty of lives but not being able to use them to the fullest due to the timer, or to be given plenty of time in a level but not being able to take advantage of it due to the fact that you didn't life farm previously.
Absolutely all of this, especially the bolded statement. Although I'm willing to say that lives can still be a system with a level like this, it's fine to say "look, you're probably struggling a whole lot, take a breath and start over from scratch and try that hard bit again later", provided the level has an internally smooth difficulty curve and isn't all hard all the time, in which case lives are simply punishing. Infinite lives and a demo counter with today's technology would be brilliant, it would be like the best of Super Mario World and Super Meat Boy in terms of level meta-design.
Money

Post by Money »

My favorite unsung joke in CBL's level is CONTINUE BUT SAVE
Arctangent
squawky

Re: MaGL 3 results: mario kong country

Post by Arctangent »

Pyro wrote:Also SMW still had levels with gimmicks.
Honestly for a previous post I was going to talk about romps and how they fit far, far more in larger games than standalone contest entries and use SMW levels as examples, but ... when I went to look at VGMaps to remind myself of some, I realized that actually every level I clicked on had some sort of special focus on a mechanic or sprite that wasn't really used in any other one. I'm sure there's still some SMW levels that were just pure romps and 100% certain that some of those levels still ended up as romps due to the focus not creating a distinct enough feeling from other levels, but if you compare SMW's sprite usage to a lot of its hacks it'd look like SMW really underutilized most of its assets.

Which, to be fair, it did, but when you put a critical eye onto it a lot of hacks can definitely seem like they go too far in the opposite direction, which isn't exactly a problem but it definitely warps perspectives on this matter.
MoneyMan wrote:My favorite unsung joke in CBL's level is CONTINUE BUT SAVE
That made me grin, too. I'm kinda sad that rao didn't seem to spot it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

cool second level today

dunno why it bothered with a time limit tho
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

CrappyBlueLuigi, in the contest discussion thread wrote:i'm gonna be 12th place.
i was SO CLOSE!!!

ugh, i feel terrible about that fifth thwomp that basically lets you skip the whole level. i didn't even realize it was a problem until like a week ago, and the moment i did, this LP became an agonizing wait to see raocow do just that.

it wasn't as bad as i was expecting (skip level, never show more of it than the secret exit and ending) but it still felt pretty bad. i wish that "there is no ceiling to a level unless you make one" was something i could've just known when making the level. then i would've gotten 12th!!

anyway i just woke up so i'm too typing-this-on-my phone to give Cool Developer Commentary, but here's a video i made a bit ago and made public now that BUTTSMASH VILLA got played in the LP: https://youtu.be/4p-KVyE_MY0

also congrats to mandew and his cool level appearing right beside mine in ranking and video
Last edited by CrappyBlueLuigi 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Arctangent wrote:double post because entirely different topic woooo

Thank you for the critique on that particular aspect! It actually put things into perspective and encouraged me to go back and integrate Time Up Fix in the code (with Alcaro's permission).

I was actually thinking that the Time Limit would be a good thing to keep in the patch, but I can see now that this is not actually true. At the very least I integrated Time Up fix so dying with 0 time left wouldn't throw the Time Up screen - unless the death is caused by the time up itself.
SAJewers wrote:Agreed. Having to go back to the map every time is stupid; just give the player an option to leave via the menu.

Probably would've used that patch had I seen it.
It wasn't actually publicly available until recently. I had to polish tons of rough edges around the patch itself to actually make it useable without too much jank.

Here's a video showing it: video
And here's the patch: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=14706
video games
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

MoneyMan wrote:My favorite unsung joke in CBL's level is CONTINUE BUT SAVE
I liked the starting choice between "1 player game" and "3 player game." The world needs more specifically-for-3-players games.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Saying something goes at the speed of a thousand porcupines doesn't make sense because a thousand porcupines would go at the same speed as a single porcupine, unless you yanked out all the porcupines' quills, strapped boards to their backs, stacked them all one on top of the other, and had them all run forward at the exact same time, in which case the top porcupine would go at the speed of a single porcupine multiplied by a thousand, relative to the ground