(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL 3 results: chatter those teeth

Post by kuposan3 »

i don't understand, how did i score higher than a level where there are rexes with toothbrushes for heads? these judges must be corrupt
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

obviously you added tooth brushes with Rex heads
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

I personally really liked levelengine's...? It gets kinda tedious and stressful sometimes but it's really not that hard and it's fun to do the obstacles anyways. Idk. Maybe I just had a different experience than others with it. I can see why people don't like the style of level design in the second half but I personally like it. probably because having seperate challenges all the time is how i make my levels too looooool.......
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

i had to alt-tab during RoyKirbs' intro message because my dad almost saw i was watching a video that said h*ll in it :oops: :oops: :oops:
SMCslevelengine
eh

Post by SMCslevelengine »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:The second half of this level seems an unfortunate poster child for what might be called the "academic" approach to level design; that is, it seems more interested in exploring the possible variations on a particular gimmick rather than providing an enjoyable experience.. I don't simply mean that the second half is too long, hard, and punishing (though is); despite the obvious effort that went into designing the individual setups, the second half as a whole just feels less well put-together when taken as a whole. Look at the structure of the two halves: the first is organic, with each challenge flowing into the next. It feels like Mario is progressing seemlessly through a genuine environment. The gimmick is introduced gradually, piece-by-piece, with increasing complexity. There's a good sense of motion and natural profession on all fronts, and it really feels well-designed and enjoyable.
When I use a certain block/sprite/asm gimmick for the first time, I often experiment with it to whatever degree possible, while still thinking about how hard it is to do. I'm thinking back to some of the levels in JUMP which also feel experimental in nature, and feel very different from the traditional run and jump (say Perilous Pier's fast sliding section), or say Shouldering On. They all have their gimmicks and sometimes encourage the player to think completely differently about what the gimmick is.
more often known as levelengine
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR 13th AND 12th PLACE:

13th: RoyKirbs
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 21/30
DIFFICULTY: 5/5
CREATIVITY: 7/10
AESTHETICS: 9/10 (5/5 GFX + 4/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 47/60

COMMENTS:
This was a pretty neat and fun level.

I like the enemy placement and variety, and the level is well
designed and fun overall. I enjoyed the secret area in the first
half and dodging the 'fireballs' on the line platform in the
second half (what even are those weird green dragon things)
Dodging the toothbrushes from those hammer guys was fun too.

The graphics are really appropriate considering the theme,
hahah.

The only issue this level has is that it doesn't push much
in terms of creative design/obstacles, but this is still a fun
romp overall. Nothing bad stands out and it's well designed.

TLDR:
+ Fun rompy level
+ Good enemy placement
- Creativity isn't really pushed

OTHER:
makes me wonder how good mario's dental hygiene is

-PYRO-
Fun: 18/30
Difficulty: 3/5
Creativity: 7/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 41/60
Comment: Oh man this was super cute~ you had me giggling at all the dumb enemies like the toothbrush rex! But yeah this was a super nice rompy romp thing with a fun aesthetic gimmick. I like how you used the weirdo super mario land enemies during the platform ride, placing them as obstacles for you to dodge. I feel like more could have been done with them tho. The secret exit being right at the end was also kinda eeeeh. Even still it was a fun, solid level, though I think you could have done more with the dentist gimmick in general.

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 21/30
DIFFICULTY: 4/5
CREATIVITY: 6/10
AESTHETICS: 8/10

TOTAL SCORE: 44/60

lol, this felt very Talkhaus, makes no sense and that's why it's great. The level per say is not incredibly interesting, but it's solid. Bit of an abrupt ending though.

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 23/30
CREATIVITY: 8/10

TOTAL: 48/60

COMMENTS: This level was really cute aesthetically. Putting the graphics aside, the design was still relatively solid - I thoroughly enjoyed the cave portion, and thought the idea of the SML snakes + line guides allowed for some interesting level design. I feel like the last section ended a little bit abruptly, however - you introduced the Lakitu, had it around for all of two screens, and then the goal point kicked in. Personally, I would have shortened the first main area of the level, and extended on the cave portion + last area a bit. Otherwise, I enjoyed this a lot.

12th: SMCslevelengine
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 14/30
DIFFICULTY: 2/5
CREATIVITY: 9/10
AESTHETICS: 8/10 (5/5 GFX + 3/5 MUS)

TOTAL: 38/60

COMMENTS:
The first half was SO GOOD. But the second half was just too
nuts.

I loved how you combined unusual bullet bills, high speed
platforms, and those weird bridge blocks in the first
half. They were really fun to play around with, and
it felt really good to play.

Then everything gets a million times more complicated and hard
in the second half. I loved the first puzzle with the yellow
platform and the onion thing (darkonius is dat u?), but the
second puzzle was really hard until I realized that the
fuzzy can't hurt you if the platform and fuzzy are at the same
height. Then the third puzzle was just super hard if you don't
rush because of that fire thing which shouldn't be there, and
same for the one with the kicking koopa because that fuzzy was
just plain obnoxious in blocking your jumps to hit the bridge
block.

After that it was great until the ending. Those homing bullets
shouldn't be there. It was way too hectic considering the fire
things are behind you and you still have to hit that bridge
block. I had to L scroll to get past this.

While this level had so much potential, and it showed in the
first half, I feel really bad that I have to take away
points purely because of how insane the second half is.

TLDR:
+ Very good usage of new and different sprites in the first half
+ Very creative
- Second half is insane

OTHER:
we need more (less difficult) levels with high speed platforms

-PYRO-
Fun: 17/30
Difficulty: 5/5
Creativity: 8/10
Aesthetics: 10/10
Total: 45/60
Comment: It's a fun level, and the gimmick is used nicely, it's just that I kinda got a little frustrated towards the end because I had to redo a bunch of stuff because I kept dying. I think that was only because I was bad though. Most of the setups here I like - the one in particular I don't like is the two with the fast platforms right after the midpoint, I think it would have been a lot less stressful if they were slower or just straight-up normal platforms. Nice level overall, though the second half is definitely a huge jump in difficulty.

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 25/30
DIFFICULTY: 3/5
AESTHETICS: 10/10

TOTAL SCORE: 52/60

The midpoint is ultra loopsided and the final setup is by far the most annoying thing which mayybe is not a very good thing to do after such a long second half. But this level still has amazing ideas executed greatly and I enjoyed myself a lot! I would call some setups annoying, but I'd rather just call the whole thing "challenging". It all is surprisingly manageable.

-S.N.N.-
DIFFICULTY: 2/5
FUNCTIONALITY: 4/5

TOTAL: 46/60

COMMENTS: The arrow block gimmick was incredibly creative and you made a ton of neat puzzles using it, but there were two major flaws that brought this level down for me. First, I'm not sure why you didn't focus purely on the arrows for most of the level - they weren't introduced until about 30% through the level and remained prominent for the rest (whereas the first 30% was an array of seemingly unfitting and relatively annoying sprites). Secondly, I feel like it went on for a bit too long, and a couple of jumps you had to do at the end were a bit asinine. If you had started off the level with the arrow blocks and then ended it a bit earlier without all of the excess padding, I think you would have had a top 5 entry.

Echoing my thoughts on the second level - loved the gimmick, didn't love the length/padding.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

When I saw the snakes, I thought of this.
dont wanna jihad no more
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

morsel/morceau wrote:When I saw the snakes, I thought of this.
My sister is actually a doctor and I remember mentioning this thing to her once and she had no idea what I was talking about
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

i'll be really impressed if someone manages to top the sheer charm that dental desert had. something about a desert level but full of teeth and dental equipment is really charming to me. though at first i thought the toothbrush rexes were wearing face covering masks instead of being a toothbrush

levelengine's level was unfortunate. it had a great ol' start but the second half seemed to get a bit wonky. it seemed like a computer made it, generating some of the possible setups a challenge with fast platforms. fuzzies, shell kicking koopas, and weird heads could make. i did dig the whole thing with deleting blocks with the extendo block, i found it weirdly cool.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

If the level stopped after that shell/springboard puzzle it would've been absolutely fantastic.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Divemissile wrote:i'll be really impressed if someone manages to top the sheer charm that dental desert had. something about a desert level but full of teeth and dental equipment is really charming to me.
There only one other level coming up that I feel tops the desert in terms of charm alone. I also marked it as my personal favorite in this contest, so I'm stoked to see it played.
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

what if raocow hates it lol
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

nothobz wrote:what if raocow hates it lol
Unless the author is Yoshifan or Poopface1 I think you're talking science-fiction there

tirakai

Post by tirakai »

you are a cool pude
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

you are a cool puddle aka ice
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Mata Hari wrote:You are a cool Spud

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR 11th AND 10th PLACE:

11th: kuposan3
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 26/30
AESTHETICS: 9/10 (4/5 GFX + 5/5 MUS)

TOTAL: 52/60

COMMENTS:
Great level!

Like you said, it's short and challenging, but even with the
amount of enemies on screen, none of it was overwhelming. You
had a lot of different and interesting setups with dry bones,
thwomps, and ball and chains which made the player feel
constantly engaged with the level. The autoscroll is also just
right to keep the player on their toes.

I also like how the graphics and music reference That One
Undertale Boss Fight super well too.

The only downside of this level is that it only has a bunch
of neat obstacle setups going for it and not too much was
explored on the creative side, but it's good enough.

TLDR:
+ Great NPC choices and placements
- Could be more creative

OTHER:
such inspiring point of advice, yes

-PYRO-
Fun: 16/30
Difficulty: 3/5
Creativity: 5/10
Total: 37/60
Comment: I liked this a lot! I'm not a huge fan of Undertale but I like how you just made some tiny references to a certain boss fight. And even if it is kinda like everywhere, Megalovania is still a great track. In terms of the level design, it's fun! It's better than your average romp because it's actually challenging and has stuff going on, even though I did beat it first try (I think that was mostly luck though). It's overall a very well-made and designed level.

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 22/30
CREATIVITY: 5/10
AESTHETICS: 9/10

TOTAL SCORE: 46/60

Not that hard until the end, not that innovative, but still really fun! I particularly like the obstacle design, it's very well thought out. Also the aesthetic is super cool dude. Looks like Bowser was the one who was Sans all along... but it's just a theory......

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 24/30
AESTHETICS: 7/10

TOTAL: 47/60

COMMENTS: This is a great level, albeit a bit short. I liked the Undertale-styled aesthetics, and the gameplay was rather fun. I did sense a lack of progression overall, though - like, the obstacles never really developed in a meaningful way, and the design felt limited to 2-3 enemy types being used in the same set-ups. Overall, a nice level that could have used a tad more variety.

10th: idol
-FROZENQUILLS-
AESTHETICS: 10/10 (5/5 GFX + 5/5 MUS)

TOTAL: 50/60

COMMENTS:
A bizarre but well designed level.

There's a lot of different enemies here, from earthquake bros to
SMB2 enemies to ninjis, but they were all used well. I liked how
the ninjis were hidden in the bushes, and I'm glad you used
warning coin markers so that I could avoid the birds.

Waluigi's double jump also made it fun to dodge around enemies,
though it wasn't taken to account too much around the level
design.

I also like some of the earthquake bro and charlie setups at
the end, since they provided a nice challenge.

Also, super appropriate and very pleasant secret exit, yes.

Basically, great level! I enjoyed all of the setups and I
couldn't really find any issues; it just doesn't stand up to
some of the better entries in this contest though.

TLDR:
+ Well designed
+ Uses unusual enemy arrangements with great variety
- Could have pushed for creativity in its obstacles more

OTHER:
i can't believe luigi is freaking dead
also what a nice note to end judging on

-PYRO-
Fun: 16/30
Difficulty: 2/5
Creativity: 6/10
Total: 37/60
Comment: Not exactly sure about that secret exit there, the secret room was definitely weird and a sort-of-reward but I'm not really a fan of just having to redo the whole level again. Thankfully the level is fun enough that I didn't mind having to do it too much. But yeah! Nice, cute, above-average rompy level, and Waluigi was a great touch. I kinda wish the flutter kick thing was used more though, it was only really used for like a dragon coin and that was basically it. Overall still a very nice level though, and both endings were uuh...interesting.

-KOOPSTER-
AESTHETICS: 10/10

TOTAL SCORE: 52/60

oh God I love the aesthetic of this level. I was leaning towards a 9 cause the clouds in the cave segment really do not look that good but the pseudo Luigi insides area looks simply amazing so there you go. This level has a great backstory and gimmick-wise it's very very well crafted, feels like it could fit a fangame or be part of a really good hack!! The only downside is that both exits are super linear and that makes the level a bit less interesting than it prolly could've been, but it's still a super fun ride. Good work!

-S.N.N.-
AESTHETICS: 9/10

TOTAL: 52/60

COMMENTS: I can feel the Yoshi's Island inspiration in this level (which makes sense given the YIDS graphics). Well-designed, and has some pretty fun gimmicks, especially the little "wiggle jump". Really liked the secret exit too, though I don't think it was worth beating the whole level over again for. I found a couple parts of the level a bit iffy, like if you take the upper route past the keyhole near the end and have to deal with this ground pounding Koopas which you can't see. Overall, great work.
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin

Re: MaGL 3 results: you are a cool spud

Post by kuposan3 »

i don't know if i have anything super meaningful to say right now in response to the judge comments on my level but i'm glad people liked it!! y'all are cool dudes. or cool spuds, apparently. <3
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

And thus MaGL 3 fulfills its "Luigi is dead" quota.

I, too, found Luigi's room genuinely sad. The setup suggests the whole affair is going to be played for laughs: "OH MAN, Luigi died again so they just threw him in cave this time, whadda dork! And this is followed by a cheerful and silly level, so you expect a punchline when you actually reach his burial place...but it's actually just sort of quietly sad to see Luigi's body lying there, and you can't help but share Waluigi's muted disgust at the lack of respect shown to his lover. This level certainly has the most unique and unusual emotional effect on the player of any in the contest.

And I don't care if you had to play the level again, that secret exit was magnificent.
Last edited by Le Neveu de Rameau 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

maglovania was cute. i didn't like undertale that much, but the think the flavoring is nice anyways and it's a fairly well made yet repetitive level.

i love the waluigi level so much aaa. i like waluigi a lot (though most of it is just from his overalls being a pretty color) and the level was great and it looked beautiful too. i'm not sure if i like the secret exit not only being at the end but also only on the second playthrough. that's kinda lame. i also might have used the same waluigi graphics in the chocolate level design contest so i could be a bit biased
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

For as much as idol's level does right, the HUD was absolutely maddening to me because I just watched it slowly creep into position and died an old lady before it finally set into place. Seriously, I don't understand why it's so important to delay the life total for like five minutes after you picked up the life.

Also the water that was semi-transparent but wasn't really bugged me. It usually bugs me but I guess it was worse this time because of the waterfalls. That's an effect that really needs to affect sprites for it to not look broken, honestly.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

Aw yeah Undertale level, let's go, bones everywhere for cool dudes on skateboards

Also on that tooth level yesterday: charming as all get out

But totally a wasted opportunity not to resprite Dr. Rabbit's cloud as a hot-air balloon.

Also Luigi giveth himself over to dark forces, the reason why he was unburied was because his corpse was used in an unholy ritual of terrible power

and now we join him in his eternal, mad rest. laughing at the edge of the world as everything burns
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

For the second time this contest, raocow mistakes a snake for a p-switch puzzle.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Top 9
a guy
Cloaytonem2
ft029
Lazy
Le Neveu De Rameau
lolyoshi
morsel/morceau (aka rUdEbOi4000)
nothobz
Sturg

Congrats to everyone that made it here! You should all make predictions for the ordering so I can sit back and cackle as everyone is WRONG. :3

idols was 2rompy4me. and shaggs was really short. so yeah thats why the scores are kinda lower compared to others lately!! i still liked the two levels tho