(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Stink Terios

Re: MaGL 3 results: question 6: what is willhart's favorite fruit?

Post by Stink Terios »

ABSOLUTE SPINMAN is an incredible level name.
leod
Be careful when including any personal details.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by leod »

:oops:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The ball's his sausage and the saws is his ballage.
dont wanna jihad no more
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

leod wrote:Image
Oh my.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

leod wrote:Image
:oops:
As expected from the sublime leod. Expertly captured.
Truckeeben

Post by Truckeeben »

Ah man, this level was so cool! My first idea was to do a spin jump gauntlet level but I ended up not being able to
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness

Post by Kowkarot »

I already posted a super long youtube comment, but to summarize my thoughts:

I'm super happy with the response my level got, I never expected it to be so well received.
More than getting a high score I was aiming for a level people could enjoy while still being super hard, and it seems it delivered for the most part.
But most of all, I wanted raocow to like it.
So yeah, seeing the guy who I've been watching play stupid videogames for many years, say something as simple as "I'm enjoying myself" with something I made, somehow fills me with joy and makes me feel like I already won.
That may sound kind of cheesy and exaggerated coming from a 35th place, but it is how I genuinely feel!

The saws though, I hate how you go through them and that I wasn't able to make it 100% functional in time. Oh well (I think a level made by morsel/morceau in JUMP had some kind of string of chainsaws, those would've been cool to have, but I remembered when the contest had already ended, derp)

Anyways This whole experience was really fun and I hope I can do more things in the future!

(That wasn't much of a summary was it?)
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

th thing about the level that i really liked was that it was hard but in a way where you can get used to it and watch yourself (in this case raocow) slowly getting better at it. the bg in the first section was a little confusing to follow but other than that
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL 3 results: now viewable at 7500rpm

Post by snoruntpyro »

This level was probably the most tragic level in the contest for me because it's incredibly well designed and MOSTLY super fun...but then that first half just keeps going, and going, and going. I couldn't beat this level without savestates because it was just waaay too hard. I WANT to love it but I just couldn't because I had so much trouble with it and some stuff felt really luck based especially the beach koopa part...

EDIT: Also, for anyone curious, I played this level directly before I played Ryrir's. That maaay have affected my mood while playing Ryrir's. :|
Last edited by snoruntpyro 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

So raocow sorta mentioned this in the video, but switching from low-bouncing to high-bouncing on saws has an arbitrary amount of delay, depending on where you are in your low-bounce (which you can't tell with human reflexes, so it's basically just a guess). You have to anticipate your high bounce happening anywhere within about a 33 frame window after holding jump, and adjust accordingly if it's slightly later or earlier than you expected.
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness

Post by Kowkarot »

Pyro wrote:This level was probably the most tragic level in the contest for me because it's incredibly well designed and MOSTLY super fun...but then that first half just keeps going, and going, and going. I couldn't beat this level without savestates because it was just waaay too hard. I WANT to love it but I just couldn't because I had so much trouble with it and some stuff felt really luck based especially the beach koopa part...
The only reason I kept the koopa part was because it "feels good", at least when it works. But yeah, it would be a lot better if the koopas didn't move around or something. I thought it was functional enough, but enough isn't 100%

The first half being long is something that I didn't notice until now that I watched raocow playing it, I learned how hard it is to judge a level's length when you are the one making it. Definitely something I'll keep in mind for the next time.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That ending was hilarious
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Today's level was great. That means that the remaining 34 are in the top half. (I am guessing part 18 or 20 will be a judge level.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I would give this level at least a 27/30 for fun! The only real nitpicks I have are the hothead part (the part with the spikes is a bit precise, but at least it's easy to learn), the poor background choice, going through the saws (only happened once to me, but I was constantly scared of it), and the poor position of the koopas.

One thing this level does super well is give you satisfaction. Every magikoopa spell / sprite is placed in such a way that if you do something simple such as holding right, you will almost certainly land correctly. And it still feels awesome every time. The only sprite position that was incorrect was the red koopas, which moved around constantly and were dependent on whether the player went on the RNG fish early or late. Also, they can sometimes fall from their spike, and things go wrong. On my playthrough, the first time I got past all those red koopas, I was so happy with all my 1-ups that I momentum'd into the pit lol.

That trap is absolutely hilarious, too.

Man, I am super excited for the next 34 levels! (well I already played almost all of them but still lol)
Mosts Awards:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Is there anything to see if you DO manage to fireball jump?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' SCORES AND COMMENTS FOR 35th PLACE:

35th: Kowkarot
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 16/30
DIFFICULTY: 4/5
CREATIVITY: 8/10
AESTHETICS: 6/10 (3/5 GFX + 3/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 39/60

COMMENTS:
Fun, challenging level, but probably too long in the first half.

I really like how much the level is centered around spinjumping
around and over enemies, and it gets pretty difficult at
times. I especially enjoyed the thwomp parts and the layer 2
after the midpoint.

Unfortunately, I feel that the first half is too long and could
use another checkpoint. There are a lot of precise maneuvers the
player has to do, and either shortening the first half or
adding a checkpoint could do wonders. I also wished that
the background is darker or has different colors since it's
difficult to see the magic things.

There is also a slight problem of accidentally spin jumping in
between the two saws in the second half.

Still, I like the concept and the execution is great for the
most part.

TLDR:
+ Fun, creative concept
+ Good design overall
- First half is likely too long
- Graphics and music could use some work

OTHER:
you got me with them fake podoboo jumps at the end

-PYRO-
Fun: 8/30
Difficulty: 5/5
Creativity: 6/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 32/60
Comment: I'm sorry, but...it's just too long and too hard. There are some completely INSANE things in here (the second half oh my god) and the first half is REALLY long with basically no breaks between anything. The beach koopa setup is especially insane, it feels like it boils down to luck. I eventually broke down and had to use savestates. The podoboo thing at the end was legit pretty funny though. The reason why the fun score is so high is because even though I didn't really have much fun in it, I still had more fun than something like King of GETs or Lespna01.

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 24/30
DIFFICULTY: 2/5
CREATIVITY: 7/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL SCORE: 43/60

The first half needed less pits and more spikes. And it did not need that last little chunk before the midpoint. Had you done that and I would've put this level among the top ones cause otherwise it's just so fun! Really unfortunate decisions there buddy. I really love the first three quarters of the first half and the second half, they're just right on length and difficulty. The difficulty curve is all over the place though, the second half is much easier and much shorter... at least it was a good breather lol

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 12/30
DIFFICULTY: 3/5
CREATIVITY: 6/10
AESTHETICS: 4/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 3/5

TOTAL: 28/60

COMMENTS: While I appreciate the idea of using various enemies that you spin jump off of, I felt that most of this level required far too much precision and, in some cases, borderline luck (namely the portions in both halves where you have to change your jump height). Also, landing on the shelless Koopas near the end of the first half proved to be exceptionally tedious as I always ended up falling on the spikes at some point along them, not to mention they'd sometimes get stuck in the little pits. I will say that the ending was excellent, however, so it was nice to see such a grueling experience climax on a high note.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

The reason why the fun score is so high
As you might be able to tell, I was expecting people to rate this much lower in fun and I was harsher with fun score in general :/. That's really the main reason why my scores are so low.

Remaining People
a guy
Blue Podoboo
Cloaytonem2
CrappyBlueLuigi
Diggertron
Enjl
EvilMariobot
Fausthieb
ft029
gameguy888
idol
Kerkec
koplje
kuposan3
Lazy
Le Neveu De Rameau
lolyoshi
LunarNeedle
Mandew
MECHDRAGON777
MiracleWater
morsel/morceau (aka rUdEbOi4000)
nothobz
RoboSllim
Roykirbs
SAJewers
Sasquatch
Skulldug13
SMCslevelengine
StrikeForcer & Kixune
Sturg
TaviTurnip
Tyty & FPZero
Zyglrox Odyssey
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness

Post by Kowkarot »

Grounder wrote:Is there anything to see if you DO manage to fireball jump?
You get a moon...it might not be much, but it's like the only prize-type-thing that exists in SMW, so yeah.
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

The reason why the fun score is so high is because even though I didn't really have much fun in it, I still had more fun than something like King of GETs or Lespna01.
i'm not really following this logic. Did you really only give this level the score you gave it because you gave those other two levels a lower score? i figured the idea of judging was to judge something for its own merits, not compare it to others
unless that was just an unrelated factoid or frame of reference or something
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

The latter. Honestly I don't even remember why I bothered to mention that in the comment? It was kinda irrelevant.
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Pyro wrote:
The reason why the fun score is so high
As you might be able to tell, I was expecting people to rate this much lower in fun and I was harsher with fun score in general :/. That's really the main reason why my scores are so low.

Remaining People
a guy
Blue Podoboo
Cloaytonem2
CrappyBlueLuigi
Diggertron
Enjl
EvilMariobot
Fausthieb
ft029
gameguy888
idol
Kerkec
koplje
kuposan3
Lazy
Le Neveu De Rameau
lolyoshi
LunarNeedle
Mandew
MECHDRAGON777
MiracleWater
morsel/morceau (aka rUdEbOi4000)
nothobz
RoboSllim
Roykirbs
SAJewers
Sasquatch
Skulldug13
SMCslevelengine
StrikeForcer & Kixune
Sturg
TaviTurnip
Tyty & FPZero
Zyglrox Odyssey
Okay, so you found the levels not as fun. Still curious how I am still in. Also, Can not wait to watch your review videos. To bad raocow did not enter the contest..

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Divemissile

Re: MaGL 3 results: the most friendly death chamber

Post by Divemissile »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
Divemissile wrote:raocow should totally lp super mario world 64, though it'd probably be an angrycow playthough
I'm just responding to this to say that it would most definitely not be an angrycow playthrough until Rainbow Ride, which would be enough, based on that Star Road LP.
actually, the super mario world 64 i'm talking about has nothing to do with mario 64. a full playthrough of it can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-jhSjft_lM . it's actually one of a few strange and difficult genesis mario bootlegs
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Absolute Spinman.

Much of the level has tight design, in that the objects fall in place mostly predictably so that you can tell how they will be aligned, and focus mainly on execution. In this case that's a good thing; you don't want the objects to vary wildly each attempt. But the koopa parts in the first half still felt problematic, with the two small sparks not always close enough to allow alternating between them.

best moments
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

The music in 34th place is "N's Castle" from Pokemon Black and White, and since that's a Gen 5 game and knowing raocow, he would have not have heard it from these games directly, only from custom levels in SMW and SMBX.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: MaGL 3 results: the most friendly death chamber

Post by TaviTurnip »

Divemissile wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
Divemissile wrote:raocow should totally lp super mario world 64, though it'd probably be an angrycow playthough
I'm just responding to this to say that it would most definitely not be an angrycow playthrough until Rainbow Ride, which would be enough, based on that Star Road LP.
actually, the super mario world 64 i'm talking about has nothing to do with mario 64. a full playthrough of it can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-jhSjft_lM . it's actually one of a few strange and difficult genesis mario bootlegs
Man I just said in this thread that SMW64 is a well known bootleg and then you pull this :( Also Zygl, you owe me a Celebi for today's video. Or do I owe you one??

Funny thing about the last section with the blue shell. The way I did it was much easier (bouncing left off the triangle area to stop the shell AND get the key) than Zygl's intended method, and I think raocow found some deflating, arcane third method that I would not want to touch. Also I'm glad that the YouTube comments seem to be neutral-to-favorable right now, because this level was super fun to me as someone who hadn't played SMW properly in a bjillion years. It's honestly a really short level and energetic-cow would have enjoyed the puzzle aspect more than take-two raocow.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!