(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Truckeeben

Re: MaGL 3 results: SMW is somehow still a thing in 2016

Post by Truckeeben »

As I said in the YouTube comments, I know I got last but hey, I brought out raocow's musical side, and to be honest that feels like victory as far as I'm concerned. I basically imposed the Mario Maker "you gotta beat it before it's done" rule on myself so I couldn't make anything remotely challenging (bad at Mario + playing on keyboard + for some reason even SMW makes my laptop lag), and September 2016 sucked and can go eat a ham. I wanted to make a ceiling but I couldn't do it in a way that didn't just look like a baby did it, and it really still would have been a "nothing" level so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:I swear Truckeeben's level didn't scroll vertically when I played it; it makes the whole thing much weirder, especially as the feather appears to come from nowhere in the first section. Also, raocow skipped all of the totally rad content closer to ground (or rather pit) level. I feel as though these elements are both essential for the level's artistic vision.
Yeah, there was no vert scrolling for me either. I guess that "puzzle" only works in ZSNES for some reason.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: MaGL 3 results: genuine effort city (tm)

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Truckeeben wrote:Yeah, there was no vert scrolling for me either. I guess that "puzzle" only works in ZSNES for some reason.
Well, I'm using SNES9X (as does raocow), so the issue isn't the emulator; rather, the issue seems to be that the FG1 Vertical Scroll was set not to "no vertical scroll" but rather "no vertical scroll unless climbing/flying/etc". Bear in mind that this "etc." is fairly large, and includes jumping while running at full speed, which it looks like raocow was doing in the video. Try roughly mimicking his movements yourself; you'll get the same result. But do not fret; instead, merely take it as a reminder of that lesson we've all been taught many times by now--if it is at all theoretically possible for raocow to break a level, raocow will break that level. This is the way of the universe.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:if it is at all theoretically possible for raocow to break a level, raocow will break that level. This is the way of the universe.
I challenge you to prove this theorem
Mosts Awards:
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

i gotta say, it's pretty impressive to make a fully functional level without playing it once (even if it's kinda boring)

i predict we might get some too hard levels next video, though maybe we'll get lucky again and have some fun
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
idol wrote:why didn't you have access to an emulator?
...I had no idea how to download a working copy. Yep. I managed to fail that bad at tech. (Not surprising, really)
yo have you ever heard of google before? really helpful on finding out how 2 do stuff. i think you def put yourself in this hole tbh. if youre competent enough to make a level in lunar magic, you're probably able to yknow.... use the internet to look up snes9x and look up how to download it & get it working???? or ask in the discussion thread if you needed help?? c'mon man you shot yourself in the foot here
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

idol wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
idol wrote:why didn't you have access to an emulator?
...I had no idea how to download a working copy. Yep. I managed to fail that bad at tech. (Not surprising, really)
yo have you ever heard of google before? really helpful on finding out how 2 do stuff. i think you def put yourself in this hole tbh. if youre competent enough to make a level in lunar magic, you're probably able to yknow.... use the internet to look up snes9x and look up how to download it & get it working???? or ask in the discussion thread if you needed help?? c'mon man you shot yourself in the foot here
Yep, I tried it. And found it. But I couldn't find the right link.... I forgot the looking at how to download it step in detail. Dealing with 10 or so download links is confusing for me...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

I'm kinda wondering just how close the scores are going to end up being. I know that in MaGL X2, some scores were literally 1/100th of a decimal apart.

To the judges: Will the scores be pretty close together (especially in the middle), or was it very easy to discern proper tiers from best to worst?
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

King of GETs wrote:I'm kinda wondering just how close the scores are going to end up being. I know that in MaGL X2, some scores were literally 1/100th of a decimal apart.

To the judges: Will the scores be pretty close together (especially in the middle), or was it very easy to discern proper tiers from best to worst?
Aside from the obvious jump from Truckeeben's level to the rest, nearly everything was pretty close for the most part.
However, there is quite a discernible jump between the rest and the top 10, and an even bigger jump between places 10-6 and places 5-1.
Y'all have fun with that information.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

VANILLA SMW LEVEL actually looked pretty good. Interested to read the judge's comments (or see the following levels) to see why it placed so low. Unless it was just because of the 105 level edit.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

Huh. There's a level I know that SURELY should've scored below GalaxyofJ's level, seeing as it's basically a perfectly fine vanilla level, design and all. That ought to be the HEIGHT of romps, but I'm pretty sure there's at least two others.

And I mean, I didn't find VANILLA SMW LEVEL that much of a romp myself, dying plenty of times through it.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

GalaxyOfJ's is actually my highest scoring level of the ones shown so far, but I guess the other judges thought differently lol

(also fun fact: there is a single level that I scored LOWER THAN TRUCKEEBEN's, so be prepared I guess)
Last edited by FrozenQuills 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

raekuul: One of the few levels I played myself. It would actually fit well as a SMW Star World level, in my opinion. Picking up blocks in rapid succession is actually a fun thing to do.
Aura Knight: For some reason, I really loved the aesthetical flavor of this one. Maybe because it's really open-air for a castle, which people don't really seem to do all that much.
Galaxy of J: I love JOKE! I know though this is far from a joke entry. The layout is really neat for something non-focussed on setups or central ideas!
Last edited by Mandew 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
video games
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I take back what I said about assuming I'll do poorly.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

FrozenQuills wrote:(also fun fact: there is a single level that I scored LOWER THAN TRUCKEEBEN's, so be prepared I guess)
was it your own? :lol: :lol:
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

So yeah, after going through a bunch of ideas that were either too complex for the time span or just not fun, I decided to just open up 105 and make a completely forgettable and lightly-challenging romp to give myself a break from destroying myself on super complex meta levels. So this is what we got: a level that is basically my version of 105 but with added Tactical Goombas. Also jokes! Can't say I deserve anything higher than this since I made quite possibly the most plain level ever (as indicated by the name)

Though showing up this low means that this contest is going to be ramping up fast so I'm super excited!

Could have very easily included a midpoint, but sometimes you just don't.

Also Cool Shadow Galaxy will be my first entry to the MaGL-Galaxy contest in 20 years.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

oh, and since VANILLA SMW LEVEL is one of the prestigious seven levels i actually played and reviewed earlier, here's my review i wrote a month ago!

Well, it wasn’t exactly incorrect. This was a very vanilla level. I was definitely expecting less vanilla, considering how titles like that are rarely accurate, but that really only kicked in at the last screen. Kind of disappointing, but it’s still a very solid, pretty fun level in its own right, even if it isn’t memorable.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

The second and third levels felt amazingly Mario Maker to me, but in the good way
stormie
formerly maou shoujo
Pronouns: she/her

Post by stormie »

"well that happened" had a neat look imo. It makes me wonder how a level would play if you had a "swaying" layer 2 like that, but instead of being pickup blocks you had horizontal wraparound. I've never made a level, so I don't know how hard it would be to implement in either SMW or SMBX. Or whether it would really be a good idea or not, for that matter...
occasional watcher of the lets plays and haver of too many usernames
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

descriptioncow wrote:don't worry, they aren't all going to be romps. Both Zyglrox and M/M participated in this contest, and I'm sure there are others
My reputation precedes me, I see >:3

Also the JOKES! entirely went over my head because I was too busy being all ':OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' at the sudden Kabu there at the end. idk why it startled me as much as it did.
GalaxyOfJ

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

Oh yeah, and the story behind Jokes! was that I wanted to have the entire level be completely vanilla except for one single Kirby enemy. This was way too subtle, so I tried to make one screen of the level be a kirby screen, complete with enemies, background objects, and tiles. I got way too perfectionist about this version and had to stop myself from going and importing a bunch of kirby assets. After that I decided to throw in the last screen and also include tap tap. Then I forgot to add tap tap to the level properly so it was his broken graphics, but that was funnier so I didn't go back to fix it.

For fun, from my earlier level attempts: here's some of what I tried to use.

Needless to say, there were some elaborate ideas going on in there. The last one I tried (and got pretty far in making) was a metroidvania level using the toggleable switches (editted to not be toggleable so they were just in-level switch palaces) and the patch that put powerups in every ! block. It was running through various interlinked rooms which were all themed on different areas of SMW to find the Switch Palace rooms and enable the blocks, which would be your metroidvania powerups (and they doubled as midpoints since the switches save on death) to access new rooms.

That's the one I canned for not being very fun. The idea was sound and execution-wise it worked extremely well, but it was just kind of boring. I think it could work if it was made into much larger level, but the iteration I was trying just didn't click.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Basically what I wanted to do with Well That Happened was a vertical layer 2 level. I think I succeeded.

Fun fact #1: Well That Happened is actually as tall vertically as SMW will allow for that specific level header.
Fun fact #2: The reason I made it a descent - and subsequently, the reason for the goal sphere, ghost house intro, and music choice - is because I figured ascending would be too draining. I didn't start laying the layer 2 stuff until after I had already decided that.
Fun fact #3: I consider "feels like a vanilla SMW Star Road level" to be a huge compliment :3
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
GalaxyOfJ

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

raekuul wrote:Basically what I wanted to do with Well That Happened was a vertical layer 2 level. I think I succeeded.

Fun fact #1: Well That Happened is actually as tall vertically as SMW will allow for that specific level header.
Fun fact #2: The reason I made it a descent - and subsequently, the reason for the goal sphere, ghost house intro, and music choice - is because I figured ascending would be too draining. I didn't start laying the layer 2 stuff until after I had already decided that.
Fun fact #3: I consider "feels like a vanilla SMW Star Road level" to be a huge compliment :3
By the powers of today's levels, we shall create the most normal SMW hack of all time!
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Re: MaGL 3 results: well that happened

Post by Griflion »

My commentary when i played some of these:
truckeeben - yeah, jokes
steventhepotato - wow that was good
raekull - that certainly did happen
GalaxyOfJ - nice Vanilla Level, but seems to spam enemies, feels like a reskin of Yoshi's Island 1, a.k.a level105
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES:

65th: raekuul:
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 8/30
DIFFICULTY: 4/5
CREATIVITY: 5/10
AESTHETICS: 4/10 (2/5 GFX + 2/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 26/60

COMMENTS:
Well, that happened.

All you have to do in this level is dodge charlies and spam Y.
Yeah. That's it.

Though I guess digging down to the bottom of the level while
avoiding enemies IS kinda fun.

TLDR:
+ Button mashing is fun
- Button mashing is all this level asks for

OTHER:
it was certainly something

-PYRO-
Fun: 6/30
Difficulty: 1/5
Creativity: 2/10
Aesthetics: 5/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 19/60
Comment: well, that happened

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 18/30
DIFFICULTY: 2/5
CREATIVITY: 8/10
AESTHETICS: 3/10

TOTAL SCORE: 36/60

This was actually fun???

-S.N.N.
FUN: 4/30
DIFFICULTY: 1/5
CREATIVITY: 2/10
AESTHETICS: 1/10

TOTAL: 13/60

COMMENTS: "Well, that certainly did happen" - Le Neveu de Rameau

64th: Shadow_Aura_Knight
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 3/30
CREATIVITY: 2/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10 (2/5 GFX + 3/5 MUS)

TOTAL: 19/60

COMMENTS:
Flatter than Paper Mario.

I mean, there were enemies and pipes and it's a castle and...
well... it feels like everything was just there to be there
and it all fell flat.

The structure of the level itself was really flat too. Like
there were no big jumps or interesting terrain or anything.

It's difficult to find anything interesting in this level if
it all feels really same-y, sorry to say.

TLDR:
+ It had some obstacles and stuff...?
- It's flat (could have done way more across the board)

OTHER:
at least there was a plot and a nice ending?

-PYRO-
Fun: 6/30
Creativity: 2/10
Comment: It's kinda bad. I don't mean to be rude but I'm pretty sure you just edited Iggy's Castle and threw down some koopas and the occasional castle enemy and called it a day. There's no challenge, or interesting setups, or anything. It's just another boring level that's over in five seconds. I'm really sorry but there's not really anything here to like. I guess the message boxes were funny?

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 18/30
CREATIVITY: 5/10
AESTHETICS: 4/10

TOTAL SCORE: 36/60

A castle level that happens! Not focused on anything, not very challenging. A decent romp though!

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 11/30
CREATIVITY: 3/10
AESTHETICS: 4/10

TOTAL: 27/60

COMMENTS: This felt like a nice little romp level, but it came across as rather short and not particularly memorable. It seemed that several sprites were placed without much thought, or that they weren't integrated into the design very well. For instance, there's a green Koopa early on who does nothing but fall between two Bullet Bill shooters and get stuck. There wasn't a whole lot of vertical movement in the level either - it would have been nice to see some of the floor/ceiling at different heights and likely would have allowed for some more intriguing design.

63rd: GalaxyOfJ
-FROZENQUILLS-
AESTHETICS: 5/10 (2/5 GFX + 3/5 MUS)

TOTAL: 28/60

COMMENTS:
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Yep, it feels like level 105 but designed a bit differently.
It's very rompy and not that much was interesting in this level,
so it's a pretty average level overall.

It's just unfortunate that I can't really think of anything
in this level that stood out, since it felt too much like
level 105.

TLDR:
+ OK rompy level
- Nothing stood out

OTHER:
jokes? jokes.

-PYRO-
Fun: 5/30
Creativity: 3/10
Comment: Banzai Bills! An army of Rexes! Shenanigans is the word of the day in this obvious 105 edit! You're not fooling anyone, worthless creator!

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 14/30
AESTHETICS: 5/10

TOTAL SCORE: 31/60

...?

-S.N.N.-
DIFFICULTY: 3/5
CREATIVITY: 4/10
AESTHETICS: 3/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 4/5

TOTAL: 25/60

COMMENTS: A very run-of-the-mill romp level that feels like nothing more than a 105 edit. This could probably work if the level felt like it had any sort of progression, but a lot of the design remains the same throughout and there is never any incentive to check out the higher platforms. You have some decent variation in your architecture, but you never really do anything with it.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I like how Koopster thought raekuul's level wasn't just a level that 'happened'.
Also keep in mind that there are judge favorites in this contest too O:
(though I don't think we chose least favorites)

(also I think I was too harsh in my comment for ShadowAuraKnight's level, sorry about that)
Last edited by FrozenQuills 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.