(shouting)

Mischief Makers - Robot shakes things, everyone is happy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Mischief Makers - everything must shake

Post by SAJewers »

as me and others mentioned in the YT comments, you should probably consider switching over to CEN64or paraLLElfor emulating N64 gasmes, espcially if you plan on do more N64 games. Both are still early days, but to my understanding are a lot more accurate and compatible than other N64 emulators. Your new computer should be able to handle both.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Oh man, Mischief Makers, I'm looking forward to this. I rented that a number of times when I was in high school. This game desperately needs a re-release on a modern platform so we won't need to rely on wonky emulation or tracking down an actual cart. I guess there's some licensing issues between Squarenix and Treasure that are keeping it off the virtual console. Either that or the fact that no one besides Nintendo puts N64 games on the virtual console.

Is raocow going to try and super-clear it? Because, uh, I seem to remember that this requires beating the main bosses without taking a hit, on top of finding all the hidden things. It's hard.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this wario land shake it remake isnt taking much from its source material
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

I'm shake-shake-shaking with anticipation! Gonna enjoy watching raocow try to get the gold gem on boss fights.

..I just noticed the two small clancers are Teran and Celes. Way to rip off ff6, treasure.

protip: im pretty sure you can skip cutscenes with start.

Also for some weird reason,possibly a bug, they didnt give npc immunity to the guy at the entrance to the hospital, so you can kill him. everyone else in the level however is immortal, and raocow is propably the first person ive seen to not immediately throw that clancer child into the firepit, watching them burn for enernity.
Grounder wrote:this wario land shake it remake isnt taking much from its source material
You just didn't take a close enough look clearly
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

TWO N64 games? At least this one is 2.5D.

Also it's nice to see Marina again - get it
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I loved this game as a kid. I rented it like five times, but only beat the final boss for the first time a couple of years ago. I'd say the level select music ("Steppin' ") is one of the most memorable tracks on the N64 for me.

Looking forward to this LP a lot!
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

This is one of the many, many N64 games I missed. It looks pretty exciting at the start, so I'm looking forward to raocow's playthrough.

...And maybe we'll even get to hear about storytime this time. That's exciting.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

So there's an Evil Empire, and they're taking Prof to the Emperor, so... does that make the red guy doing the double fist-pumps Darth Vader?
I change this sig every year for Advent
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Ah man, this game. It's even kookier than I remembered.

Like raocow, I rented this game multiple times, but never owned it. That was probably a mistake. The reason for it, I suspect, was that I finished the game too quickly--it's not a super long title all things considered. I never did get all of the gold gems though; some of the boss ones (which require zero damage) I tended to regard as being literally impossible. But then again, I remember once regarding Tubular in SMW as being just south of that border and laugh, laugh, laugh. Looking back at the games of your childhood is a curious experience; on the one hand, you're embarrassed by the fact that you apparently had the gameplay finesse of an orangutan. On the other hand, you can't help but be impressed by the fact that you apparently had superhuman patience and tolerance for repetition. Sitting in a waiting room at the doctor's office, though? That was pure torture.
Filby wrote:So there's an Evil Empire, and they're taking Prof to the Emperor, so... does that make the red guy doing the double fist-pumps Darth Vader?
That would be Marzen 64, and he was always my favorite character as a child. Not entirely sure why; maybe because he's the only evil Clancer who gets both a distinct character and significant amount of screen time. I remember being perturbed by the fact that he looked decidedly different in his profile picture in the instruction booklet, being portrayed as having blue highlights and a brimmed officer's cap rather than red highlights and the more distinctive, crown-like head ornament seen in game. Nowadays I'm more perturbed by the superfluous 64 added on to the end of his name. Also, I apparently missed the fact that his mech can fly in the intro. Odd that he never uses that ability in either of the two fights with him later on. But such are the magical abilities granted by cutscenes...
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

OH MAN THIS GAME!!! :D

It's dumb, its plot is incoherent and makes no sense, but it's so much fun regardless.

(Cannot wait for Best Character to show up.)
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

The music is definitely playing too fast. Kind of unbelievable that N64 emulation is still so awful even for one of the easiest games to emulate on the system.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Jesuiscontent wrote:The music is definitely playing too fast. Kind of unbelievable that N64 emulation is still so awful even for one of the easiest games to emulate on the system.
Looking up info on N64 emulators, it seems emu devs only ever cared about making SM64 and OOT playable. (EDIT: Also this)

Thankfully, it seems CEN64 (aiming to be the higan of N64 emulators) and paraLLEl (see September Update blog post)are both aiming to change this.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I'm super excited for this one. I played the hell out of it as a kid. Also, if you're going for 100% you'll need to get an overall A rank in your play time (not every level needs to be an A).

My favourite line is "Please stop digging". I like how the request isn't "Don't dig my treasure" or "don't steal my gems". Just stop digging for all eternity. Marco's "death quote" is also hilarious, but that won't be for a while.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Way to copy Iso, raocow. He lped this just earlier this year.

I got a good deal on this game. I traded the N64 South Park game to a friend for Mischief Makers and Conker's Bad Fur Day. One of the best trades I ever made.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Today on Mischief Makers, raocow bullies children.

Apparently Elvis is officially named "Doom Daddy". I'd say that's a stupid name, but it honestly sort of suits him. I still called him Elvis, though.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This game's aesthetic is really creepy to me.

Why does almost everyone and everything besides Marina have that same face that looks like a tortured soul? :?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
stormie
formerly maou shoujo
Pronouns: she/her

Post by stormie »

WOW. raocow, how much of your 1-5 run was remembered and how much was intuited? That gold gem took me FOREVER to figure out as a kid. When the wife talked about her husband being missing I figured it to just be flavor text.

Edit: Conversely, the gold gem in 1-3 didn't take me long at all. As a kid I didn't connect the color of the clanball with it doing anything, so I just shook every clanball and found the bomb dropper right away.
occasional watcher of the lets plays and haver of too many usernames
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I remembered that there was a husband and it had to do with a bomb on the roof. I kind of intuited the blanks !
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

raocow and Mischief Makers. This is near perfection.

I remember thinking the 'husband missing' bits being flavor text at first as well.
ToastyBiggins
this is an actual photograph of me IRL
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by ToastyBiggins »

I had heard of but never played this game before, and the first video made me curious so I decided to check it out. I just beat it last night, so needless to say I loved it. (Still working on the last few yellow gems though...)

I used Project64 and ran into a few serious problems that I figured I would mention here just as a heads up for raocow, since it would be a nasty surprise to start recording only to find that a level is unbeatable. I'll list the level numbers and put the details in spoiler tags for the curious:

- Level 3-10 has one section that is essentially impossible to do correctly because of a graphical glitch, but that section is not required to beat the level or get the yellow gem
The Mathfun event at the festival. The math problems you're supposed to solve don't display at all, and neither do the numbers on the balls you're supposed to use to input your answer. But you only need to get more total points than the other team, and the other events are all pretty easy to win, so it's more of an annoyance than anything.

- Level 3-11 has a glitch that seems to occur 100% of the time that makes it unbeatable
You have to play dodgeball with a cat, but hitting the cat with a ball makes it float in space forever. Even if you "beat" the cat by hitting it with enough balls, it's still floating and unable to trigger the dialogue that ends the level. Tried to get around this one a number of ways (throwing different objects/different angles etc.) but it seems like the cat's physics are just totally broken.

- Level 4-1 has a pretty major graphical glitch that makes it somewhat more difficult, but otherwise fully playable
The giant boulder you're being chased by is invisible. It took me a while to figure out why I kept dying immediately at the start of the level, haha. It's annoying that you can't gauge how well you're doing, but if you just do the level as fast as possible it's fine.

- Level 5-4 has some weird issues that make it functionally unbeatable
First Merco boss fight. Occasionally he would stand in the middle of the arena and become unresponsive, and after a certain point picking up his shield caused it to hover in front of Marina, unable to throw it but also unable to pick up anything else, resulting in a stalemate. I'm not sure what triggers this one, and it might be possible to beat it if you avoid interacting with the shield, but again something seems fundamentally off with the physics and AI in this fight so it probably isn't worth trying.

For the game breaking glitches (levels 3-11 and 5-4) I copied my save file from Project64 to 1964 and beat the level using that emulator before copying it back. 1964 renders the game in quite an ugly way, but the glitches didn't occur and the levels were fully playable. It didn't seem to have any effect on the graphical glitches in levels 4-1 or 3-10, however, so I just had to live with those.

For the record, I tried CEN64 and it would only run the game at about half the normal framerate, and I couldn't get paraLLEl to work at all. I guess it's up to raocow whether he wants to do an emulator swap between PJ64 and 1964 for those two levels or try starting over with one of those newfangled emulators *shrug*
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Huh. My friend and I streamed Mischief Makers a few months ago and we had no problems with 3-11 or 5-4. Not sure what might have caused those when you played.

The other two though... At least they weren't game breaking.
ToastyBiggins
this is an actual photograph of me IRL
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by ToastyBiggins »

Oh jeez, it turns out I was still using PJ64 1.6 because when I last tried 2.1 it bluescreened my computer a few times. But I just downloaded PJ64 2.3 and it looks like the gamebreaking stuff has been fixed! It also didn't have the problem with the sped up audio. So I guess as long as raocow is using the latest version it should be fine. Sorry for the false alarm!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

isn't 2.3 bundled with malware though
the chillaxest of dragonsImage