(shouting)

Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game (Didn't get to 64 episodes!)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game (Didn't get to 64 episodes!)

Post by Xirix »

Having played this before I'm really looking forward to raocow's run of this, it's a pretty fantastic and well made romhack for the most part.

Episode 1 : who's that polygon

Episode 2 : it's Koopa the Quick!

Episode 3 : that boat!

Episode 4 : vase town

Episode 5 : greed hill

Episode 6 : super dead zone

Episode 7 : walltoppers

Episode 8 : vanishing act

Episode 9 : jumping around on rooftops is the main activity of this video

Episode 10 : mad money yo

Episode 11 : world 3 except for real this time

Episode 12 : 25 minutes in 10

Episode 13 : good times in water town

Episode 14 : holding on

Episode 15 : clearing sale on world 4

Episode 16 : well this went horribly

Episode 17 : my special relationship with spatial relation

Episode 18 : difficulty seismograph

Episode 19 : everything is better than world 5

Episode 20 : one last world 5

Episode 21 : the one with the spotlights, the sewer pipe and the sandy cave

Episode 22 : spikeball ted just doesn't sound right

Episode 23 : cleaned up water town, or another title like that

Episode 24 : baja 2016

Episode 25 : breezing through the desert

Episode 26 : that troublesome tree

Episode 27 : nuts to you tree

Episode 28 : sidetracked

Episode 29 : instruments just kinda being there

Episode 30 : a scientific understanding of music

Episode 31 : chilly mountains

Episode 32 : little tiny penguin

Episode 33 : cold cold taste of gold

Episode 34 : illegal thwomps

Episode 35 : next big thing

Episode 36 : the unsafest penguin

Episode 37 : candycane man

Episode 38 : contemplation

Episode 39 : cheese artifact

Episode 40 : stuff happens

Episode 41 : clear skies, cleared world

Episode 42 : next stop, lava town

Episode 43 : basement of the colossus

Episode 44 : red like my soul and hat

Episode 45 : road to the sky

Episode 46 : space exploration of space

Episode 47 : factory factory factory, feat world 5

Episode 48 : ballad for a broken boss

Episode 49 : the video where I jump around on a rooftop

Episode 50 : space projects

Episode 51 : emptyness of space

Episode 52 : factory closure

Episode 53 : eponymous

Episode 54 : postgame and postpostgame

Episode 55 : you gotta jump on a guy

Episode 56 : wa-HOO

Episode 57 : remember the swamp?

Episode 58 : yo check it out yo

Episode 59 : just one more to go

Episode 60 : FINALE
Last edited by Xirix 7 years ago, edited 58 times in total.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game

Post by FrozenQuills »

Man it's been a while since I've seen this hack; I remember watching speedruns of this by SimpleFlips..

shoutout to SimpleFlips
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

I'm not two minutes into the video and there's already like four confirmed A presses, shame on the cow.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

It's been a little while since I played but Mario's turning does seem a bit... less controlled, so yeah playing around with the deadzone might help out. (I played with a 360 pad not an N64 one so I can't really offer a good estimate tho)

Get used to playing around with the camera too, it's not.. terrible once you get used to it, but yeah. :P

Edit : Also raocow, if this is your first time using the N64 controller on the PC, it might need to be calibrated in the control panel as well, or if it came with driver software make sure that's up to date.
Last edited by Xirix 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

- Holy crap course 3 is not well designed at all. It's like the creator completely forgot to accommodate for the camera, and those slopes in the water sections actively fight against the player in absolutely nonsensical ways. First impression are not remotely this game's strong suit at all.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

If I may give raocow a vital advice: Don't use the N64 controller. The little nooks are good for SM64 because you generally go in either of those 8 directions anyways, but in this ROMhack you'll need a hell of a lot more control over your angles.

As much as I'm laughing at how much you're struggling with the controls - like obviously it's not really a fault of the game for expecting that the player would be really familiar with SM64 before starting to play the game. Even the easiest romhacks do the same for SMW.
video games
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

You can get the last red coin by triple jumping and then doing a dive at the peak of the jump I believe (it IS really hard to get so I don't blame you)
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Oh boy we're judging the quality of the game on vidya one.

I assume you'll get better at control with a little practice, raocow :P With all respect, it's not that hard to run in a mostly-straight line if you have more than an hour's experience at SM64. You'll get used to it.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

TaviTurnip wrote:Oh boy we're judging the quality of the game on vidya one.
I mean, these are pretty blatant issues, especially since both areas had serious issues with geometry mucking with the camera. As much as SM64's camera controls aren't amazing, the actual level design in the game was made in a way where they weren't really an issue; the camera would rarely get caught on level geometry and, well, most of the actual stuff you were doing was well-aligned to camera angles so you could generally aim yourself well with the cardinal directions - y'know, something the controller was designed for.

Plus not know exactly how moving into a wall will respond - literally, one of the most fundamental parts of a game's physics - is not remotely something you want to instill on a player. One of the first areas that a player can stumble into really should not make the player question if the game's physics are broken or not, and I'm pretty sure moving into a wall and being teleported downwards would cause that to be a pretty dang common question.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Apparently this game was intended to be played with a specific Gameshark code that stops the camera sucking. From what I've seen Skelux is a pretty accommodating guy when it comes to Let's Plays and shit, it should be possible to ask him directly if necessary
Super Mario Star Road was intended to be played with camera settings other than what is used by default.
If you are able to use GameShark codes, use the 'SMSR Camera Control' code:

8033C685 0005
8033C849 0002
D033AFA1 0010
8033C849 0000
D033AFA1 0008
8033C848 0030
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

FrozenQuills wrote:You can get the last red coin by triple jumping and then doing a dive at the peak of the jump I believe (it IS really hard to get so I don't blame you)
If my memory is correct you do either that or a weird walljump after the triple jump (something I didn't even know you could do before playing Star Road). Thankfully there aren't 'too' many weird jumps required in the game, but raocow just happened to go after one of the harder early game ones first.

Also re camera code, it's already in effect. (Latest version has it already built-in to the emulator) The game is literally unplayable without it.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Xirix wrote:Also re camera code, it's already in effect. (Latest version has it already built-in to the emulator) The game is literally unplayable without it.
... I'd really hate to see how poorly designed the levels are for the default camera if this modified one was what they were intended for, yeeeesh.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I wouldn't write this game off completely, I've watched two (2) LPs of it already and neither of them had anywhere near the level of issues raocow's been experiencing. To be fair, one of them was Swordless Link who's an actual SM64 speedrunner so you'd hope he'd do well but the other one was AttackingTucans who's like pretty OK but not great at the video games and he didn't make it look as difficult as raocow has been either.

I do think part of the problem is the controller because he looked like he was scooting all over the place. N64 controllers are just kind of shit anyway.

Also you have to bear in mind that SM64 romhacking is like really really really... not great still
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

The control difficulty raocow is experiencing isn't the controller's fault. It's Super Mario 64's fault. Super Mario 64 controls Mario a lot like a car; it starts you moving in the direction you're already facing and gradually turns Mario toward moving in the direction you want to go, rather than just going in the direction you want to go. It's really not a good control system and when I tried playing Super Mario 64 a few years ago, I couldn't be bothered to adapt to it. (And I wasn't using an N64 controller; I believe it was the Logitech F310 I was using.)

I can only figure that people falsely remember Super Mario 64 to control well because of nostalgia, and that people accepted and adapted to it in the first place because Super Mario Sunshine didn't exist yet.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

I would say, ditch the N64 controller and use a xbox 360, xbox one, PS3 or PS4 controller instead and see if that helps!

The problems in the hacks geometry and camera behaviour are expected, these are self made maps for a very old, very dated, very limited and very picky reverse engineered 3D Engine, that runs on an emulator that tries to emulate the odd hardware quirks from the real console!
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

onpon4 wrote:I can only figure that people falsely remember Super Mario 64 to control well because of nostalgia, and that people accepted and adapted to it in the first place because Super Mario Sunshine didn't exist yet.
Honestly, it wasn't so much that it had amazing controls that the levels were designed with those not-amazing controls in mind, and the stuff we've seen so far seems to want to make the player do some pretty precise stuff with them. I certainly don't remember the part of vanilla SM64 where you have to long jump from small platform to another small platform, especially since the long jump causes to the bounce off walls.
HarmfulGravemind wrote:The problems in the hacks geometry and camera behaviour are expected, these are self made maps for a very old, very dated, very limited and very picky reverse engineered 3D Engine, that runs on an emulator that tries to emulate the odd hardware quirks from the real console!
To be entirely blunt, that's a terrible excuse. Finicky and reverse engineered I'll accept, but at the same time I expect people who try to use the engine to accommodate for the fact that the engine's finicky and reverse engineered. It's not like the guy made a bunch of levels and they got imported into a game engine that they were janky in - it's pretty blatant that all of this was intended for SM64 in the first place, which makes it so weird that just stumbling around everywhere makes it seem like it wasn't.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

Arctangent wrote: To be entirely blunt, that's a terrible excuse. Finicky and reverse engineered I'll accept, but at the same time I expect people who try to use the engine to accommodate for the fact that the engine's finicky and reverse engineered. It's not like the guy made a bunch of levels and they got imported into a game engine that they were janky in - it's pretty blatant that all of this was intended for SM64 in the first place, which makes it so weird that just stumbling around everywhere makes it seem like it wasn't.
I don't disagree with you, I just wanted to put light on the bad circumstances that are created by the engine itself.

Maybe with more time and effort they could have accumulated for a lot of the problems. Many things are easy fixes, like the place where Mario gets pushed down really fast in the water is clearly the fault a slightly angled surface. Mario's behaviour with these is odd and can be in theory avoided by making it either a wider angle or a perfect 90 degree angle!
Everyone has to start somewhere, and 3D is hard to do really good, and it doesn't look or seem that bad, just very very amateurish!

I guess we get a better idea when raocow get's more accustomed to the Mario 64 controls (these also did not age well, Mario really likes to walk in his facing direction and walk forward and make a turn (hard to explain, it's kinda dumb and annoying, but it was the first so I forgive them for that))
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Oh man oh man. I haven't seen this since gamercal's LP all the way back in the day.

It looks to me like the game might have been designed with controllers other than the N64 controller in mind, because yeah, there are already several jumps that look like they expect something other than the main eight directions where the joystick's notches are. That, or the specific controller is acting really weird and doing stuff it shouldn't (or it might just be a good idea to start out somewhere that lets you get used to the controls again.)

No matter what the problems are, I hope they get resolved soon.
I don't really get it but okay
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

And this is why 64 railroaded you.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

Ohmegosh~!! o(≧∇≦o) This game, I remember the controls being just as finicky as a kid... but I do agree with people saying the original game was designed around that. But in terms of trying to walk a straight line, while lakitu is at a slight angle as always been SUPER DUPER frustrating!
ImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

hmm, lakitu camera DOES exist at the very end of the video... wonder what the camera mods do
Last edited by Ivy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I wish you good luck. Star Road has a reputation for being both a good example of a competent SM64 romhack and being pretty hard at the same time. I've never tried it personally, mostly because I've received emphatic, though probably overblown, warnings from friends to stay away. Hopefully today's video is just a product of not being used to the controls and needing to adjust the controller. Maybe you should try and find Course 1?
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

This looks pretty cool so far, though I was wholly expecting raocow to have trouble with the controls giving him being more used to the 2D Marios.

The camera though is indeed completely terrible, and if he doesn't find a fix for it (which I think one does exist), then a 120 star run may probably not happen.

Who has the most?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Let me teach you about the two camera modes, Lakitu vs Mario.

-The lakitu cam allows you more control, though it is pretty restrictive. The Mario cam is more fluid, but you have even less control over it. The Mario came is also more susceptible to phasing through walls and getting stuck.
-The Lakitu came stays in place when idle, while the Mario cam tries to always go behind Mario.
When lining it up for a jump, I suggest switching to Mario briefly to the cam behind you, and then back to Lakitu, so it stays in place while you are in the air.
-There is also a 3rd cam mode that lock it in 3D space, as long as you hold R. It could be useful, but you'll need to go to the pause menu and switch it there (replaces Mario cam)

As for jumping out of the water, it doesn't look like you were ever full jumping, but those slopes may have been causing more problems than I thought. Should have been straight down ledges. That reverse slope underwater is also why you were teleporting down.
However, you CANNOT walljump out of the water. Just don't do it.

Hope these help.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Sebby19 wrote:stuff.
from my personal experience in sm64 romhacks, lakitu cam is nigh-impossible to use 99% of the time