(shouting)

Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game (Didn't get to 64 episodes!)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Money

Re: Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game (Didn't get to 64 episodes!)

Post by Money »

Grounder wrote:~King Bowser "Kerog" Koopa I, 1996
God, so im not the only one who had that scholastics how to draw book and wondered why the fuck they called bowser "kerog"
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Applause for you raocow! applause!

Whenever the next SM64 hack rolls around, before you even play it, you should really get the deadzones and sensitivity of your controls perfected. Maybe release a screengrab of your setup so experts can give an opinion.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Congrats on beating your first Super Mario 64 hack. Glad I suggested it back then.

On a completely unrelated note. How capable is your computer of handling Dolphin while recording...?
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Man, congrats! This LP definitely has been one of my favorites of yours, the journey from those early episodes has been crazy.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Someone should start up a "A Super Mario 64 Thing" for him to play. /s
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

SAJewers wrote:Someone should start up a "A Super Mario 64 Thing" for him to play. /s
Maybe when someone manages to put together a Hammer or GTKRadiant for the engine.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

SAJewers wrote:Someone should start up a "A Super Mario 64 Thing" for him to play. /s
I actually did come here to mention that, because (as some of you may remember) we (the Talkhaus) DID try to make one of those, but then, it didn't happen. Obviously. The board's in the archives if anyone wants to see.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

You did it! I admit to being a naysayer that you wouldn't get 100% just because I knew how hard the final parts were at times but you continually proved me wrong. What an accomplishment.

As for other SM64 hacks, there aren't too many really great ones out there. Even the best ones have some major jank to them like incredibly hidden worlds, high expectation of very technical maneuvers, and other general weirdness. Definitely consult us before you do another one because the community can probably help you find a hack that fits your ability and isn't stupid. Don't want you accidentally choosing to do Super Mario 74 Extreme Edition after all. ;)
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Nah. After what happened with A2MT, I'd be worried it'd never get finished and all we'd see would be raocow playing through a few random leftover levels in a Zombie ASM64T series.

As for more Mario 64 hacks, I still think Last Impact could work well for raocow. It's certainly more reasonable in the early levels than this game is, and even the later ones are fairly enjoyable without save states. No super hard final level either(outside the standard final boss stage), which is a bonus.

Trust me, I know. I played the first 100 or so stars there without save states as my first ever Super Mario 64 ROM hack. So if raocow can beat Star Road, he'll be able to beast Last Impact quite handily too.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That was one of my favorite LPs in a long time. Admittedly I haven't watched much for LPs in a long time, but it was a lot of fun. I was initially hooked on the first episode when it was a comedically absurd show of incompetence, just trying to get out of the water, but it was fun to watch raocow slowly but surely understand the engine. I'll admit, a few episodes ago when I heard "I'll come back and do it without savestates for the final star" I didn't believe it, but I was impressed today.

And I think if there's anything we can learn from this, it's the even when you get decent at the SM64 engine, you'll never be good enough to just simply turn around near a ledge without walking straight off.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

I can't help but wonder how much fixed cam would have helped throughout this LP. Like there's a few key spots where I can imagine it actually making a big difference, but then again its kinda hard to work with.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

nathanisbored wrote:I can't help but wonder how much fixed cam would have helped throughout this LP. Like there's a few key spots where I can imagine it actually making a big difference, but then again its kinda hard to work with.
it's been said before, but I'll say it again - fixed cam would've helped in some places early on, but then he was struggling for other reasons besides the camera in those moments too. Later on, he briefly used the fixed camera where necessary and tried it out in a few scenarios where it wasn't cooperative. The biggest issue with Lakitu cam rather than Mario cam, even though Lakitu cam is generally superior in vanilla Super Mario 64, is that it relies on a lot of guideline planes and pre-defined points which just don't exist in this hack (or are very poorly implemented). Lakitu camera's default behaviours upon encountering a level boundary or wall can be far more erratic than the zoomed-out Mario cam, which while unsteady, is still far more reliable overall than a stable but sometimes demented Lakitu trying to re-enact the Resident Evil 1 camera.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Congrats raocow. You truly are a professional Mario player.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

this was such a weird LP where it started out with a lot of angrycow but mellowed out as the LP continued
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

raocow... congrats. You really made it through all of this. That's amazing. You are truly a super player, and that was a good game to play.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Well I certainly feel bad for doubting you. I didn't think that you would be able to get that final star without at least one savestate. Very well done raocow.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Now that he's finished this I kinda hope one of the Mario Galaxies gets voted for down the line, need more modern 3D raocow. :D I thoroughly enjoyed this LP as well, and like many others I'm very glad his jankiness from the first 5 episodes cleared up for most of the project.

And well done on savestateless Hidden Palace, you're a nutter.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Excellent play, raocow. I hope the evident rush of victory at the end made up for all of the earlier-game frustration. And for World 5. Which is, as has been proven with finality, World 5.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Nice work there mister cow.