(shouting)

Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game (Didn't get to 64 episodes!)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game (Endgame yo!)

Post by Ivy »

Ometeotl wrote:Chariots of Fire?
lol
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I debated reversing it and making a "My Planet Needs Me" GIF.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Ometeotl wrote:Chariots of Fire?
YES, THAT ONE! thank you
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:it is done
this is the best thing i have ever seen this month, although that will soon change upon the arrival of pokémon
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

omg the game was paused at time 666 and raocow unleashed two uncensored sneezes, what is going on
e: wrong thread dang
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

YES, IT IS AS GLORIOUS AS I IMAGINED IT! :D
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

...So, is it a red herring?
One day, an image will return
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

It's supposed to be yet another hint for the vanish cap switch (I guess he was really worried that people wouldn't figure out that the light was supposed to be an arrow, so he kept emphasizing it). The sign mentions checking every "dark corner", the boo mentioned "following the light" and the bomb-omb mentioned the vanish cap.

Nice little bit of flavor here, the vanish cap switch room (with the gears and stuff) is meant to take place INSIDE the factory of course 14 (which is what the sign was talking about). It's a neat little touch, but I guess he didn't make it clear enough and people get confused when they read that sign.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

I'm not really sure he could've made that not confusing without either having the vanish cap switch level actually be part of this one ( and ... probably adding some sort of Banjo-Tooie-style entering area text because otherwise that would still go completely unnoticed ) or just flat-out saying on the sign that it wasn't actually part of the level.

I can't think of a single person who would make that connection without being outright told it. That's really poorly thought out.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

Arctangent wrote:I'm not really sure he could've made that not confusing without either having the vanish cap switch level actually be part of this one ( and ... probably adding some sort of Banjo-Tooie-style entering area text because otherwise that would still go completely unnoticed ) or just flat-out saying on the sign that it wasn't actually part of the level.

I can't think of a single person who would make that connection without being outright told it. That's really poorly thought out.
I mean, I figured out what it meant in my playthrough pretty quick, but I definitely felt like it wasn't obvious. It probably works best for people who haven't gotten the vanish cap yet by that point.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Yeah, I have to agree. My first thought upon reading it was "Huh! Another secret I've never heard of before? That can't be possible.", then I remembered raocow's description for the video and I realized, "Oh. It's saying the Vanish Cap level is in here. >_>"

The sign really should've said something like:

GEAR ROOM & BLUE SWITCH STORAGE
KEEP DOOR LOCKED AT ALL TIMES

That keeps the message being to show WHERE the vanish cap room is in the world while not making it sound like there's a missing secret there.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

i think the secret could make sense if you've never found the vanish cap, you go looking around the gloomy garden and you find a factory place which makes you go "hey! that's what they meant!" i like this nice bit of flavor linking the two worlds but it's kinda weird yeah
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

The weirdest part about it is that it's the only sign in the game that attempts to link worlds together and it comes so late in the game that you just expect that there's some sort of hidden warp. I know I did since I wasn't sure what Star 6 was at that time.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Widescreen Director's Cut

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/s ... 7oGj0&s=40
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I'm surprised so many people got confused over the sign, considering what the Vanish Cap stage looks like it's kinda obvious it's just flavour-text saying that's where said stage is, I thought it was cute when I played.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Xirix wrote:I'm surprised so many people got confused over the sign, considering what the Vanish Cap stage looks like it's kinda obvious it's just flavour-text saying that's where said stage is, I thought it was cute when I played.
My first thought was that it was referring to the vanish cap stage as well but I can see why it might confuse people since it doesn't spell it right out for them. And since it doesn't do so, if they've already done that part then they could easily mistake it as a reference to another secret whereas someone who hasn't found it would come across the vanish cap stage and assume that's what it was referring to.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Huh. I've played Star Road a few times and I've never had the boss break on me like that.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

I don't think the boss ever broke for me either in my playthorugh (or at least, I don't remember it happening), which seems surprising considering how easily it seems to break
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Super Mario Star Road - raocow plays a 3D game (Back after a long month!)

Post by Arctangent »

Arctangent wrote:the more things change, the more things stay the same
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

My guess is that the boss didn't receive thorough testing. That's the sort of bug that would get overlooked if you beat it really fast like the hack's creator was probably capable of doing. Too bad.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

xnamkcor wrote:I debated reversing it and making a "My Planet Needs Me" GIF.
http://i.imgur.com/D21Ygal.gif
Zebia

Post by Zebia »

nathanisbored wrote:I don't think the boss ever broke for me either in my playthorugh (or at least, I don't remember it happening), which seems surprising considering how easily it seems to break
RedMageMike wrote:Huh. I've played Star Road a few times and I've never had the boss break on me like that.
Apparently raocow is using an older version before the boss was fixed. That's what someone mentioned in the comments of the video.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

I saw it get said on the YouTube comments, but just to mention here~! raocow, you can climb up a lot of steep hills if you hold the jump button down and then keep mashing the kick button while slowly walking up the hill (^▽^)
ImageImage