(shouting)

Kirby's Adventure - Getting Bullied by a Children's Game

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: Kirby's Adventure - Getting Bullied by a Children's Game

Post by TaviTurnip »

Is... is that cannon supposed to be that hard? There was a Crash guy earlier in the video, can you "cheat" and use him? :T (I would wager that's an intentional method, if that was in the same level.)
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

TaviTurnip wrote:Is... is that cannon supposed to be that hard? There was a Crash guy earlier in the video, can you "cheat" and use him? :T (I would wager that's an intentional method, if that was in the same level.)
I think you would have to discard your copy star, inhale and spit out the foe's minions, and then reclaim your star before it despawns, enough times to kill the grand wheelie.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Concerning yesterday's video, I was surprised to see that Meta Knight does, in fact, make an appearance in Rainbow Resort. I seemed to recall him vanishing completely after you beat him--I certainly remembered that his goons don't show up again after you defeat them immediately before the boss battle. But apparently there's still one more candy sequence. At least he's not a sore loser.

In any event--a lot of games, many Kirby ones included, go for a more threatening final area to build tension; this one, however, first takes a detour through dreamy with a side of northern lights. It's appropriate, though, considering we're approaching the Fountain of Dreams. I always thought the polka dotted terrain in Rainbow Resort looks like it would be extremely comfortable. The preponderance of sleep enemies in the many of the stages certain helps to reinforce this idea.

The nostalgia stage is interesting, if you look back at it through the lense of time. I was extremely surprised to learn that Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's adventure came out within about a year of one another, so the amount of time we're nostalgic for is far less than it seemed like back then. As a child, I thought the jump between games seemed pretty huge, what with the full color and increased length and scope and most of all the copy system. But looking at Dream Land and Adventure now, especially compared to the sequels, they really resemble each other far more than they differ. On top of that, many of the enemies and few of the tilesets in Adventure are straight up adaptations of graphics from Dream Land (which is strange to think about, as this game looks amazing for the NES, but then again, Kirby's Dreamland looks pretty amazing for the Gameboy, even if the immediate effect isn't quite so striking due to the limited palette). But this was the start of the series and a time when video game history in general was much shorter than it is now. How time puts things in perspective.

As for Dedede...I could never quite figure out whether he's supposed to deliberately lunging at Kirby when he falls to the ground or is just tripping over his own two feet. I used to lean to the former in Dream Land and more to the latter here, but watching the video, it definitely looks more like a lunge in this game as well. Of course, I also thought Dedede was pushing Kirby in the post-boss cutscene, which didn't make much sense, though now it's clear that he's trying to hold Kirby back, but the K-man is simply dragging him along in a titanic feat of strength. Kirby is nothing if not determined.

Also, we're treated to a Green Greens remix (curious how this has become the main theme of the series and not the KDL title theme, which is not too shabby in itself), so why does DDD not get his own theme song, but is simply slapped with the same boss theme as everyone else? This is the quintessence of injustice.
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:...

Also, we're treated to a Green Greens remix (curious how this has become the main theme of the series and not the KDL title theme, which is not too shabby in itself), so why does DDD not get his own theme song, but is simply slapped with the same boss theme as everyone else? This is the quintessence of injustice.
Yeah; at least that was fixed in Nightmare in Dreamland.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I actually really like that Dedede gets the boss theme, mainly for reasons of feel and especially because he gets his theme in every other game. This is the only(?) instance where you fight him with just the game's regular battle theme and that makes it unique, if not particularly special.

It's the little changes that make it an experience!
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

This series has just flown on by.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Can't wait for the inevitable Epic Yarn LP.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

At least he got this series done before the injury. I can always remember Nightmare's theme because it's a pretty epic boss theme.

I hope when the injury gets better and with the N64 emulator in tact, we can get a Kirby 64 playthrough, it still being my favorite Kirby game of them all.
Last edited by Katazuki 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Who has the most?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Today's color is Ultraviolet!

Pleasant dreams, everyone!

And yes, I'm rehashing a HEX code!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Chin Guy never comes back in any other Kirby game and I think it's a real shame

It's not like he's more out of place than 'literal bleeding eyeball' and 'giant world-bending clockwork cat monster face'
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Mata Hari wrote:Chin Guy never comes back in any other Kirby game and I think it's a real shame

It's not like he's more out of place than 'literal bleeding eyeball' and 'giant world-bending clockwork cat monster face'
Well, there's always that one sub-game in Mass Attack.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I like how Kirby spins around when jumping with the Star Rod. You can even attack the Knightmare with the spinning, but it does slightly less damage than the stars, so it's basically a crutch move. Being a Kirby game, it fits in.

You know, I wonder what's more powerful, Kirby's Star Rod, or Mario's Star Rod?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Grounder wrote:Sorry, Omeltol!
I made it work.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Mata Hari wrote:Chin Guy never comes back in any other Kirby game and I think it's a real shame

I'm glad they at least remixed his music in Canvas Curse for the outer space level.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Ometeotl wrote:
Grounder wrote:Sorry, Omeltol!
I made it work.
It would have been neat if you used the corrosponding kirby for each ability but it's a first soooo.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

All right, I did not remember the gratuitous violence against the moon. I can only imagine the proposal for this part in the Nintendo back rooms--"And then part of the moon blows up for know apparent reason!" Of course it does.

Once, I was describing the Nightmare battle to a childhood friend of mine, and I described him as looking "sort of like a vampire, but he body is like a staticky television." However, my friend misheard this final clause as "but his bum is a television", and proceeded to describe with great enthusiasm how he imagined Kirby watching his favorite sitcoms on the Nightmare's posterior, underscoring his description by miming a person eating popcorn out of a bag while loudly smacking their lips. Needless to say, it is now quite impossible for me to look at the Nightmare without being reminded of his dark secret.

That all said...this game is absolutely charming. Sure, the stages could have been a touch longer, but I absolutely love the way they flow along, like a pleasant stroll where you take your time to admire all of the scenery along the way. And what scenery it is! I've always put a huge premium on atmosphere in video games; especially as a child, I always reveled in their ability to transport the player to another world, full of things much stranger and more wonderous than our own. And watching this, I now understand why this game was one of my favorites. It really does capture the mood of being on a (more relaxed) journey with a particular perspicacity. The adventure of Kirby is not the "I'm a strapping young lad heading off on a quest to achieve fame and fortune and save the world" variety that comes up so often in games, but instead more of a "I'm going to head out on the road, wherever it may lead me, and experience the world is all its sights and sounds." Twee as it may sound, watching this game again has kindled up some pretty serious wanderlust in me. Maybe I 'm not likely to be fighting any pseudo-Draculas with cathode ray buttocks on the moon any time soon, but gently meandering through the landscapes with a dreamlike fluidity? That I can do.

Nostalgia glasses, today you stood firm.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:All right, I did not remember the gratuitous violence against the moon. I can only imagine the proposal for this part in the Nintendo back rooms--"And then part of the moon blows up for know apparent reason!" Of course it does.
I think Nightmare's death was supposed to be so tremendous, it blows up part of the moon. They make this clear in the remake, but I don't know why they didn't do it in this game, because the scenes do look pretty disconnected.