(shouting)

Kirby's Adventure - Getting Bullied by a Children's Game

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Kirby's Adventure - More pink than pink

Post by Leet »

It's funny that you played this after super cat planet, considering that this LP's commentary is much more a successor to cat planet than the previous LP
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Damn this forum software and its breakingof the illusion.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Grounder wrote:These levels are really short. :?
Yeah, they didn't start to get longer until stuff like Super Star and Dream Land 3 came out.

Also, you are really hyped for this project in the commentary, raocow.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Don't forget about the Spike power raocow! You passed it up twice now.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I used to always mentally sing along to the song in the first level of Ice Cream Island as a child. Not the whole thing, mind; just the repeating bit before the loop. The lyrics were: "Bernie P. Rottweiler's national anthemum, Bernie P. Rottweiler's national anthemum, Bernie P. Rottweiler's national anthemum, Bernie P. Rottweiler's national anthemum, Bernie P. Rottweiler's national anthemum, Bernie P. Rottweiler's national anthemum, Bernie P. Rottweiler's national anthemum, doo-da doot-da-DOO, da-da!"

Now, who exactly Bernie P. Rottweiler was supposed to be, I couldn't tell you, nor why he apparently has a national anthemum, whatever that's meant to mean. Even if we generously assume it to simply be a corruption of "national anthem" in order to fit be the tune, the fundamental problem still remains, as national anthems are not the sort of thing individuals typically have*. But nevertheless, my brain has apparently decided that those are the true and essential lyrics to the song, and I can't listen to it without hearing them in the back of my mind even to this day.

*Excepting, of course, yo momma, on account of being sufficiently obese as to qualify as her own nation.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Please keep being monkey cheese for just this one LP, if you can keep it up. I am enjoying this completely free, flighty LP of tiny levels and Kirby destroying the world.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:But nevertheless, my brain has apparently decided that those are the true and essential lyrics to the song, and I can't listen to it without hearing them in the back of my mind even to this day.
I have many, many video game songs like this, so I entirely sympathise. Although my "lyrics" tend to be more related to what's actually going on, like the "catch the curry" song in Tron Bonne.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Today's color is Iris!

Brought to you today by potatocow.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

raocow, I think it's possible to stay aloft with A after you have initialized your floating with Up. that ought to help avoid accidental door usage
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Grounder wrote:Today's color is Iris!

Brought to you today by potatocow.
Iris Heart is best heart
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ivy wrote:raocow, I think it's possible to stay aloft with A after you have initialized your floating with Up. that ought to help avoid accidental door usage
Yes, this. After you puff up, holding A is the same as the Up direction.

I always knew raocow had an inner pro-wrestler in him. Is he going to do the rest of the game with Back-Drop? I'd like that!

However, did he miss the secret HAL room, or was that later? I'm not sure why it's a secret though, I kinda just, walked into it.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Sebby19 wrote:
Ivy wrote:raocow, I think it's possible to stay aloft with A after you have initialized your floating with Up. that ought to help avoid accidental door usage
Yes, this. After you puff up, holding A is the same as the Up direction.

I always knew raocow had an inner pro-wrestler in him. Is he going to do the rest of the game with Back-Drop? I'd like that!

However, did he miss the secret HAL room, or was that later? I'm not sure why it's a secret though, I kinda just, walked into it.
HAL Room was passed a video or two ago.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I remember just finding it because the Warp Star didn't appear, and I just kept walking. But I was playing the 3D Classic version, so maybe they changed it so you had to see it first.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Le Neveu de Rameau

Fighting Paint Roller with hi-jump, of all things, was certainly an...unexpected choice.

I always considered the third-to-last area in the final stage of Ice Cream Island, with the dotty cloud things and the fence posts and the land that looks like various frozen treats in wrappers to be the literal ice cream part of the Ice Cream Islands (And yet it is are located noticeably above the islands themselves. Perhaps the Islands are the bowl?). It's certainly a very interesting repurposing of tilesets seen elsewhere in the game, in a way that reminds me think of the innovative use of the original game's graphics to achieve a very different effect in the SMWC vanilla contests. In any event, it's one of the areas that sticks out in your mind years later, despite its comparative brevity.

Butter building is a regal place, and the first area that tries to distinguish itself in overall concept (rather than just individual sections, like the seaside forest) from the types of environments seen in the first game. I always sort of wanted to climb it in real life. I understand that in the remake, they changed the æsthetic of this area entirely, making it a sort of disused, unfinished skyscraper. That's a neat idea in general, but it is not, I think, fitting for Butter Building, which should be majestic and stately. We are still at the part of the adventure where every step reveals to us another of the world's wonders.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I've never found a single HAL room in kirbys, despite 100%ing most of them (darn you mass attack and rainbow curse)
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

The HAL room can only be reached if the warp star doesn't spawn due to sprite limitations - the easiest way to do so is to get Cutter and throw three at once while you scroll to where the warp star should be. If there's a lot going on in the screen, it's possible to reach it by accident, but I've never managed without specifically trying to go there.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Cirno wrote:The HAL room can only be reached if the warp star doesn't spawn due to sprite limitations - the easiest way to do so is to get Cutter and throw three at once while you scroll to where the warp star should be. If there's a lot going on in the screen, it's possible to reach it by accident, but I've never managed without specifically trying to go there.
It actually can also be reached if you walk towards the star and move left until it's offscreen. When you move back to where it was, it would disappear, and you can move past it.
Grounder

Re: Kirby's Adventure - A Scathing Critique of the Journalistic Merits of Polygon

Post by Grounder »

Today's color is Cerulean!

Today, Kirby blows up the moon and sun, leading to the destruction of Earth.

THE END
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

"I hope you enjoyed my level for the Make A Short Kirby Level Game contest!"

Did you know there's level editors for Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star Ultra out there? They're no Lunar Magic or SMBX, but is a Talkhaus Kirby Contest out of the question?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Kirby's Adventure - A Scathing Critique of the Journalistic Merits of Polygon

Post by Leet »

there was a Kirby's Adventure hacking forum last year but i guess it doesn't exist now.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

How would one even judge a Kirby contest like that? What would the metrics used even be?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Le Neveu de Rameau

Hammer is so much better in this game than, say, Kirby Superstar, clumsy and awkward cudgel that it is there. Here it basically controls exactly like sword, but is much more powerful, doing the same amount of damage as spitting a star at a foe. It is a thing of destructive beauty. King Deedly-Dee's martellian methodologies are completely comprehensible.

Mr. Bright and Mr. Shine colliding into one another makes sense when you consider that after you defeat one of them, the vanquished party (who now probably has a severe concussion) always jumps up into the sky and begins frantically and aimlessly raining terror down from the heavens. When the supplementary scalawag is subdued as well, he furthermore flees to the firmament and conspires to compound the current canonade, but by this point the airspace is so crowded and its denizens so delirious that both bewalloped celestial spheroids boneheadedly bash into one another amidst their muddleheadedness, with percussive repercussions.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I'm down for a MAGKL contest
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Hammer is so much better in this game than, say, Kirby Superstar, clumsy and awkward cudgel that it is there. Here it basically controls exactly like sword, but is much more powerful, doing the same amount of damage as spitting a star at a foe. It is a thing of destructive beauty. King Deedly-Dee's martellian methodologies are completely comprehensible.
Superstar hammer is top notch—the first appearance of the most powerful move in kirby's normal arsenal, the hammer flip. Plus super star has the dash attack, and in modern kirby games, the downards twirl also has i-frames.
Le Neveu de Rameau

Ivy wrote:Superstar hammer is top notch—the first appearance of the most powerful move in kirby's normal arsenal, the hammer flip. Plus super star has the dash attack, and in modern kirby games, the downards twirl also has i-frames.
I don't know, it always felt like trying to smack your opponent in the gut with a conga drum to me. And any time I tried to use it while moving, I'd most often end up do-si-do-ing around the room with it like a human (well, Kirbian) glockenspiel, which felt like a very mal(eus)adroit and unpleasant move to me. It was less as though Kirby was wielding the hammer as the hammer was wielding Kirby, or perhaps Kirby was wielding the hammer while he was wicked hamma'd. In either event, I'd much rather do yo-yo tricks, juggle myself in the air with the sword, or use any power that lets you throw or slam your enemies into the ground (or so some other sort of finishing move on mini-bosses) than try to play at Donkey Kong Jr. The Kirby's Adventure version, in contrast, fits nicely in your flipper-like hand and calls the proceedings to order like gavel it looks like, ready to lay down the law.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

The hammer carried me through each game's true arena, and I don't use anything else because I'm a casual. your opinion probably holds greater merit than mine

I didn't know hammer did a whole star's worth of damage in Adventure. Does that still hold in the remake? Felt like a pretty weak thing at the time, but maybe I can psychologically wield it better knowing how strong it is.