(shouting)

SMWCX - Credits

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: SMWCX - Happy Fun Candy Time

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Mata Hari wrote:Hey my internet was down what's going on
Everything was on fire, it's mostly fine now, raocow is still playing the password level :roll:
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Mata Hari wrote:Hey my internet was down what's going on
An adventure.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

RobinLSL wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
SAJewers wrote: What about PGE Engine?
PGE Engine is still incomplete, and is a long way from completion. It's not really at a point where using it for anything other than "testing PGE Engine" is worthwhile.
Something something PIN Number ATM Machine something something.
I did that on purpose, as "PGE" has two components, an editor and a game engine. The editor is very much usable for SMBX episodes and definitely worth the download. The engine itself, however, is not finished yet.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: SMWCX - Dream Den

Post by TaviTurnip »

I liked that section ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mistakenly expected that to be a growing vine, not a single tile. This actually gives me a really neat idea for a future level I'll never finish, but I digress. Most of the stuff in these sections looked pretty okay to me. SMB2 bombs look kind of unfun though :x
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Money

Post by Money »

Yeah all considered that section is prob the best designed so far. I'm p sure raocow reacted negatively mostly cuz he died more, and as such had to reinput the password more
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

Honestly with powerups placed normally instead of just getting two at the start, that segment looks like it would actually be fun. Other than the weird vine and the difficult albatoss jump, it's all either standard mario stuff, or like the bombs stuff that showed up earlier in the collab.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

MoneyMan wrote:Yeah all considered that section is prob the best designed so far. I'm p sure raocow reacted negatively mostly cuz he died more, and as such had to reinput the password more
Slow restarts are the bane of good platforming. Even a 5-second delay every death grows wearying, an interactive ~30-second password is absolutely deleterious to the experience.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i feel compelled to defend this level because most people are overly harsh about its flaws, but... i have to say, if you're going to have a "grand ending marathon level" why make all the sections, well, so normal? usually the long multipart true final levels have a lot of variety (this is usually because they are collaboration levels themselves, but still) and that's what makes them super cool to me. like the trial of iron in asmt featuring all those bosses, or the four video games you load up and play in science's castle in analog funk.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

well that's imnbh4l for you. Honestly, if Variety Path started off by giving you 2 mushrooms at the start and another 2 at the midpoint, I would have wholeheartedly believed that KevKot (maker of Variety Path) is indeed imnbh4l.

--420th reply
Mosts Awards:
Nimono

Re: SMWCX - The Final Battle

Post by Nimono »

I'm honestly saddened how much this incident has divided the fanbase. :( Half is attacking Imnbh4l (and some of THAT is attacking him personally!) for his (honestly pretty silly) request and reasoning for it, half is attacking THEM for not just accepting it. Why can't we all just get along? :(
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

COMMUNITY IS FOR BABY MAN

TRUE POWER COMES FROM LONESHIP LIKE WOLF
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Perhaps the situation would work better if both games and Imnbh4l wouldn't try to make it appear so that there is actual gameplay content in the final level. The name "final level" sorta suggests a big challenge, which this level is not. Instead, it's just an ending, you cannot even die (probably for the better, considering the level loads for 2 minutes).

Mistake on imnbh4l's part made people however think that Imnbh4l doesn't want people to see the final level of a game because it's so amazing that you should play the entire game to play it. Nope. The request was about ending, but it sure did feel like about a legit platforming stage (perhaps Imnbh4l didn't want to reveal that the stage is just an ending, which in my opinion is a bad idea, because it needlessly causes player prepare for the final challenge (say, by turning off a game to play it next day (SMBX save system is dumb, but that's not Imnbh4l's fault)), when the challenge doesn't exist).

It doesn't help the situation that the ending just doesn't work on LunaLua, apparently, which is a legitimate reason to check an ending in a Let's Play (after your game crashes, that is).

ZUN asking fans to not spoil the ending worked quite well. But please note his request was specifically about an ending, not final stage or final boss or whatever. Just the ending. This does make reaching ending feel good, I believe. You are free to post videos of a final boss or whatever of Touhou games however. Credits aren't a big issue, you can easily not post those, it's not that there is interactivity in these.

Or for a different comparison, ATLUS asked players in Japan to not publish videos of Persona 5 past the game's opening before its release (because game was released early in some shops) to not spoil the experience for others. This also worked, but please keep in mind that Let's Plays were fine after game's release.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

era64 wrote:Perhaps the situation would work better if both games and Imnbh4l wouldn't try to make it appear so that there is actual gameplay content in the final level. The name "final level" sorta suggests a big challenge, which this level is not. Instead, it's just an ending, you cannot even die (probably for the better, considering the level loads for 2 minutes).
The npc by the door even explicitly says final challenge too which more strongly implies it's an actual level than stating it's the final level too. Challenge implies there's something for the player to overcome in it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

that is, as they say, the joke
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
watho
:0

Post by watho »

It's a good joke on paper but it isn't all that well executed in my opinion. That's my opinion on most things in this game though.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Rarargh this is it. Time to get mad about video games!!

Oh it's already over
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Honestly, I have to agree with the cowman that I found this collab to have a lack of focus. I can't really think of a level right now that I can genuinely remember screen for screen, but honestly that's probably because I didn't play it first-hand.

Who has the most?
The Doctor

Re: SMWCX - Credits

Post by The Doctor »

Bland and boring early to mid-game.
High quality and super short late game.
Untested and ludicrously frustrating post-game that leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

I think that about sums it up. With some improvements to the levels in the first half of the game and proper testing for the post-game this could have been a fantastic collab. I still enjoyed what I played and I enjoyed raocow's LP, but the game did not live up to its potential. I hope to see a sequel that fixes these problems.
Money

Post by Money »

This game's quality for the most part was a sliding scale between "not distinctive, but solidly designed" and "distinctive but with design flaws," with it sliding to the first to the second as the game went on. Of course there are outliers, but that's just the general trend I observed.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I usually do, but I have to agree with raocow's final words also. I also felt like the game just blazed by. Like I'd end a video and be all "what do you mean we just ended World 5? We were in World 5? We started that already???" and I basically never felt very attached to the goings on :x I also didn't feel like there was much sense of identity here. I dunno. Too tired to give paragraphs of my final thoughts, but I guess this is a rare time where I can say a project was very forgettable, and that isn't a great thing to end it on >_>
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ending gave me a chuckle.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

The game was pretty cool. I agree that I don't think it's memorable, and that's really just because so many people dropped out of it right away - raocow was on point with that comment. People who have been hacking SMW for so long didn't really adjust well to SMBX and lost interest pretty quickly (seems to be the vice versa situation with MAGL3 too - SMBXers don't really care much for Lunar Magic).

On the bright side, VLDC9 is coming soon and that's going to be great!! ! !
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

this whole game sorta just came and went aside from like 1 or 2 levels ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
S.N.N. wrote:VLDC9 is coming soon!
:D

:|
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

S.N.N. wrote:The game was pretty cool. I agree that I don't think it's memorable, and that's really just because so many people dropped out of it right away - raocow was on point with that comment. People who have been hacking SMW for so long didn't really adjust well to SMBX and lost interest pretty quickly (seems to be the vice versa situation with MAGL3 too - SMBXers don't really care much for Lunar Magic).

On the bright side, VLDC9 is coming soon and that's going to be great!! ! !
Hey, I'm making a submission, and I definitely appreciate LM a lot more after using it extensively.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

FrozenQuills wrote: :D

:roll:

2 more months perhaps