(shouting)

SMWCX - Credits

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Re: SMWCX - Bubbly Clouds

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

TaviTurnip wrote:I don't know if I remember Bowser 3's fireballs being that scary, though? The sword graphic might be bigger than the fireball but that didn't seem the same to me. Normally jumping the fireballs isn't that worrisome.
Not only are they bigger, but they were also sped up.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: SMWCX - Bubbly Clouds

Post by FrozenQuills »

thank god that boss in the orange level was changed from the tower of biased X version
it used to be just throwing bombs at meta-knight-reskinned-smb3-bowser and it took forever lol; this is a lot better and creative
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMWCX - Midgar

Post by alleightbits »

That was a surprisingly straightforward level there. I expected worse from four stars.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

There's no video yet

EVERYONE PANIC
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

TaviTurnip wrote:There's no video yet

EVERYONE PANIC
*panic intensifies*
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Did you set the timer wrong, raocow?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

my fault, setting error, fixed
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: SMWCX - Snow Land

Post by TaviTurnip »

Definitely the HARDESTT WROST TIME SWOTCH LEVEL IVE EVRE ESEEEEN!!

All of today's levels were cool D: Also it's hard to say no to the Mt. Pyre theme.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

That level isn't remotely hard, maybe Darkonius was thinking about something else...?
Imaynotbehere4long

Stink Terios wrote:That level isn't remotely hard, maybe Darkonius was thinking about something else...?
Actually, the only levels Darkonius made for SMWCX were Galoomba Plains and Clockwork Ruins. All I can think of is that he saw that his level was different and got really paranoid.

To those wondering what was different:

1) The parts where the player has to hit the time switches were way too short, most forcing the player to wait for 3/4ths of the time the time switch is active (and waiting = boring = not fun). Those parts weren't even modified that much; I just made them last longer so the player wouldn't have to wait so long, often combining two different runs and still having time left over in testing.

2) I made the boss EASIER. Having to grab a Yoshi egg before it hatches as well as avoiding a deadweight NPC that looks nearly identical to the eggs, ON TOP OF JUMPHURT=1 BOB-OMS?? Seriously, Darknoius, what were you thinking?? Plus, the fourth phase had a Thwomp attached to the boss, which had a very high chance of hurting players before they even realize what's going on (since they'll have to jump and throw the egg up to the boss).
My SMBX portfolio:

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Having to grab a Yoshi egg before it hatches as well as avoiding a deadweight NPC that looks nearly identical to the eggs, ON TOP OF JUMPHURT=1 BOB-OMS?? Seriously, Darknoius, what were you thinking?? Plus, the fourth phase had a Thwomp attached to the boss, which had a very high chance of hurting players before they even realize what's going on (since they'll have to jump and throw the egg up to the boss).
That's... literally Cuckoo Condor, from Wario Land 4 (well, both phases merged together). That was an explicit reference that got changed! Like, the only way it could be more cuckoo condor is if it alternated between dropping and throwing saws as well.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Having to grab a Yoshi egg before it hatches as well as avoiding a deadweight NPC that looks nearly identical to the eggs, ON TOP OF JUMPHURT=1 BOB-OMS?? Seriously, Darknoius, what were you thinking?? Plus, the fourth phase had a Thwomp attached to the boss, which had a very high chance of hurting players before they even realize what's going on (since they'll have to jump and throw the egg up to the boss).
That's... literally Cuckoo Condor, from Wario Land 4 (well, both phases merged together). That was an explicit reference that got changed! Like, the only way it could be more cuckoo condor is if it alternated between dropping and throwing saws as well.
Huh! I actually was going to say "oh man looks like raocow fought cuckoo condor again" or something but wow i was spot on
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
aterraformer

Re: SMWCX - Sunset Hill Zone

Post by aterraformer »

I need to know the music of the first level of today's video, thanks!
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

aterraformer wrote:I need to know the music of the first level of today's video, thanks!

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

SAJewers wrote:
aterraformer wrote:I need to know the music of the first level of today's video, thanks!

Huh. For some reason I thought it came from Xenoblade or something.

(Update: Composers were ACE. Possibly related to ACE+?)

I welcome the day a Western game composer can pull this kind of music off easily.
One day, an image will return
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

SAJewers wrote:

Thank you!
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Money

Re: SMWCX - Windy Hill Zone

Post by Money »

I disagree with the idea that the secret exit was out of place, it was still using the levels "through line" gimmick of double-jump based platforming, but added the gimmick of beat blocks on top as a twist to it. In fact, if I have one complaint about this level (besides the finicky hops over munchers sometimes not being high enough) it's that the second half was really just more of the same stuff the first half was.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: SMWCX - Windy Hill Zone

Post by TaviTurnip »

I am feeling oddly judgmental about this video. The first main part of the level felt... I dunno, kinda pointless, like. It felt like a gimmick that didn't really do anything fun with itself. It was just literally "do some sine waves with Toad like seven times also this one trick that will probably kill you" and while dressing it up with windmills made it more cute, it was very plain. It almost felt like an introduction to double jumping and not... what, world 6? I dunno.

Meanwhile the secret path was okay and raocow is just bad at timing :I
Imaynotbehere4long

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Differences between SMBX and Wario Land 4:
  • Wario can grab the eggs by standing under them; Mario can only grab Yoshi eggs from the side, which is incredibly finicky and hard to do, especially when the boss begins moving back and forth, and even more especially when the Thwomp resprite spawns.
  • Wario can charge into the ducks to kill them before they explode; Mario can't kill jumphurt=1 bob-ombs (especially since they had nofireball=1 as well).
  • Cuckoo Condor never generated un-grab-able eggs that would crush and kill the player if hit from above, even on S-Hard.
  • Cuckoo Condor's grabber thing is clearly visible from the start and gives indication of when it's about to drop; the Thwomp resprite in Clockwork Ruins instantly appears in the 4th phase, giving first-time players no time to react to it.
  • The player couldn't jump on top of the condor part of Cuckoo Condor because it was too high up; the player couldn't jump on the Pidgit part of Clockwork Ruins's boss because it had jumphurt=1, which is unintuitive even for people who haven't encountered Pidgits before (the only way to kill the Pidgit was by spin-jumping).
You're only thinking of the description based on its similarity to Cuckoo Condor, and not how it would affect SMBX gameplay. I'd rather play a good level than a reference level. Besides, people still got the reference, didn't they?

If you still don't think the changes were justified, feel free to play the original version.
My SMBX portfolio:

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Differences between SMBX and Wario Land 4:

[changelog]

You're only thinking of the description based on its similarity to Cuckoo Condor, and not how it would affect SMBX gameplay. I'd rather play a good level than a reference level. Besides, people still got the reference, didn't they?
Yeah, that's fair and all. Please don't mistake my exclamation mark for outrage or indignation at the change! Engine limitations are a problem and bad design is bad design. But as it is now, it only bears a passing resemblance to cuckoo condor, whereas before it was an explicit reference, albeit one that reached beyond the capabilities of the SMBX engine - or at least, past the capabilities of remaining fun. It's a shame there wasn't a way to implement it with the eggs more functional and the bombs not being set up quite so ridiculously, the altered version is obviously preferable, but it's interesting to see the original's more explicit design too.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:If you still don't think the changes were justified, feel free to play the original version.
But since you asked so nicely...
  • You're damn right about those eggs being finicky to catch, not impossible, but more annoying than challenging
  • The bob-ombs have tiny explosions and produce less threat than a spiny, they're slow and very predictable even with jumphurt=1, and there's never more than 2 on the platform at once
    • When jumphurt=1 I feel the sprite should be different somehow, a note at the beginning of the level is insufficient
  • The deadweights are extremely easy to recognise and avoid too, only likely to kill on the first attempt at the second phase when you jump at it blindly
    • They also clear bob-ombs harmlessly (as the explosion is almost the same width as the deadweight)
    • I did not experience the instant crush glitch, but I will take your word for it and agree that's unacceptable
  • The pendulum spawn is accompanied by a reset in Mr the Egg Timer's position, which can do instant damage at the start of the fourth phase, likely guaranteeing a kill unless the player has held onto their powerups well
    • Once the pendulum-thwomp exists it poses similar threat to the deadweights, but combined with the fussy catching makes the fourth phase a pain
    • During the fourth phase, eggs no longer produce bob-ombs but fall through the ground - unorthodox, but reduces threat again
  • I somehow died to the final pidgit once, wtf am I literally raocow
In short while I don't fully agree with your changes - I personally still had fun playing it - I think they're probably the most reasonable changes given that it's not a boss of your own creation and that better fixes would have been far more time consuming, such as bringing in the pendulum non-instantly, re-spriting the bob-ombs and the deadweights, and making catching falling objects in SMBX not be a ridiculous nonsense (obviously that last one is a task for people re-developing the SMBX/PGE platform, not for level designers).
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: SMWCX - Nowhere to Hyde

Post by Mata Hari »

The hellevator ride was pretty rad because it's something you couldn't do in SMW as far as I know!

The Toadbot disappearing if you use the time switch feels like something they should've done something about!

That part after the conveyor belt ride probably should've been cut! But it doesn't seem unnecessarily difficult so it could be worse!

All those Rinkas at the end turned into lives! Twelve of them!

Overall today's levels were pretty OK!

!!!
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I feel like some level designers forget that mario doesn't have a health bar. This level was mostly fine but it reminded me of those ones you see in contests and such that are obviously designed to work like different platformers entirely where you don't just have 2-3 hits.
Giik

Post by Giik »

tirakai wrote:I feel like some level designers forget that mario doesn't have a health bar. This level was mostly fine but it reminded me of those ones you see in contests and such that are obviously designed to work like different platformers entirely where you don't just have 2-3 hits.
Can't you choose characters that have 3 HP in this, though? I thought toad/peach had SMB2-style health.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Again, if you don't force people to choose a different character, almost everyone is going to default to Mario.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Giik wrote:
tirakai wrote:I feel like some level designers forget that mario doesn't have a health bar. This level was mostly fine but it reminded me of those ones you see in contests and such that are obviously designed to work like different platformers entirely where you don't just have 2-3 hits.
Can't you choose characters that have 3 HP in this, though? I thought toad/peach had SMB2-style health.
3 HP is included in '2-3 hits'