(shouting)

Wario Land 4; GBA Ambassador

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Wario Land 4; GBA Ambassador

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I think you can refight bosses for more chests, if you feel up to it....

Aerodent separates the people who want to 100% the game, and those who want to complete it. It's a clear point where the game starts to get more serious. You need to be on your toes from now on. It's also my least favorite boss so far.
You can hit him without making him rise, but it takes an annoying amount of precision. You have to not bump on the bear's head when shoulder charging him. It's really dumb.

Oh, and the next level is also going to be a thing, and is easily my least favorite level of the game. (At least, of the main worlds)
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:I think you can refight bosses for more chests, if you feel up to it....
You can, but IIRC you have to beat the game first, then re-collect all the quadrant pieces in each level.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Yeah, Aerodent is a neat boss, but this is really when hard mode shows that you need to really know the game to get 100% (let's not even talk about S-Hard Mode). You need to angle yourself properly to be able to hit the mouse but not the bear; easier said than done, but the fight can be over really quickly if you do it right. It's more of a puzzle boss than a traditional boss since Aerodent really only stalls rather than attacks, so your biggest enemy is time. Pretty cool stuff.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Next up is Horror world!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Louiejub wrote:Yeah, Aerodent is a neat boss, but this is really when hard mode shows that you need to really know the game to get 100% (let's not even talk about S-Hard Mode). You need to angle yourself properly to be able to hit the mouse but not the bear; easier said than done, but the fight can be over really quickly if you do it right. It's more of a puzzle boss than a traditional boss since Aerodent really only stalls rather than attacks, so your biggest enemy is time. Pretty cool stuff.
To be fair, most of the bosses here stall the player more than flat out kill them. The boss after Aerodent doesn't attack until three quarters of the way through the battle, Spoiled Rotten only did 'passive' damage and even Cractus and Cuckoo Condor have various attacks designed more to slow the player down than kill them quickly.

It's a more complex and more lethal variant of the boss fights in 2 and 3.

Edit: Also, that level took a fair bit of time. Probably less than the next three will take you though.

I get the impression Hotel Horror will be a very, very long video. That place is massive and non linear to a tee. Arabian Night can be awkward (and will probably kill raocow once or twice). And Fiery Cavern is a pain in general.
Last edited by CM30 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

dickish piece thing today
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Grounder wrote:dickish piece thing today
The first one, right? In Normal mode, it's up in that dead end where raocow originally declared there's nothing here and turned around. There ARE hints to the hidden room below, that one little dirt block you can't do anything with (the exit to the bonus), and you can see the glow of the candle behind the wall.
As for the hidden room itself, the hint to the breakable wall is the two dirt blocks right next to the entrance of the room. Why would they be there? And it's a similar setup as THAT room from Monsoon Jungle, if you played it first.

It's interesting they moved the CD Chest to the main path. I think that's the first time this has happened in Hard Mode?

The ghost's name is Yurei. Before the Frog Switch, he will dive down and steal any loose coins on the ground. raocow didn't notice probably because he usually doesn't go for coins. Fun Fact: Daniel didn't notice this either until he replayed the level a few times for his book. With Yurei stealing coins, he can make getting the max score for this stage... tricky.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I prefer calling the ghost Captain Coin instead of Yurei, given that yurei is just...ghost.

I like how when Cap'n Coin gets money, he has this trollish smirk on his ghostly face, it's just so hilarious. :D
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

that pirate ghost was the key nose's mother raocow you monster
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Gorsh, raocow, you sure do save oodles of time by rushing and refusing to preemptively take out enemies which always, always murder your face!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I know right?
I'm always glad to help people find ways to optimize their gameplay
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

This game makes for some nice reactions.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Crescent Moon Village
Introduction
"Crescent Moon Village is a primer for the Halloween theme developed throughout the rest of Sapphire Passage. Wario explores the village through a series of dark streets and abandoned buildings. The level follows an indoor-outdoor structure where the player’s introduced to Skeleton Birds and Miniculas inside, while Yurei, the pirate ghost, keeps watch outside. The frequent changing of focus gives the level a scheduled variation and rhythm. Post-fold, this structure translates to alternating moments of fleeing Yurei and reprieve, a tide of increasing and decreasing tension. Once Wario opens the door to the next level in the passage, Yurei, with no Keyzer to chase, becomes a harmless distraction on repeated playthroughs. The derelict village's night time setting contextually justifies the use of lamps and lights as level elements."

Something to note about the Vampire Bat Wario transformation is what its missing. In Wario Land 3, the default form was Vampire Wario, and pressing B which transform you into Bat form. Vampire Wario had faster horizontal speed on the ground, but a pitiful jump, and didn't really add anything, so I can understand why they cut it in half for Wario 4.

As for the first Bonus Room, I recently did it backwards. I transformed into Zombie Wario, and then stunned one of the Skeleton Birds. After a dip in the water, I picked it up threw it instead of the glass spit ball. Yay for multiple solutions!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I always saw that level's picture as a weird black bird thing instead of a tower in a village
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

That first gem piece (the one that raocow missed the first time) was the absolute worst thing for me because I didn't find the breakable floor, so I thought you had to toss an enemy into the small space next to the ramp, which you can do, but you have to be standing in like a pixel perfect spot, so I spent probably hours trying to throw one of the axe guys in there and having to reset every time I accidentally threw it against the wall and killed it. Then I found out years later that there was a breakable floor that I missed all along...
SAJewers wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:I think you can refight bosses for more chests, if you feel up to it....
You can, but IIRC you have to beat the game first, then re-collect all the quadrant pieces in each level.
You don't have to recollect the gem pieces, you can just go straight to the bosses iirc. Though I don't think it's that big of a deal if raocow doesn't get the 100% ending regardless.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

No, anything above 50% is good enough. Anything below that though, and ugh
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

CM30 wrote: To be fair, most of the bosses here stall the player more than flat out kill them. The boss after Aerodent doesn't attack until three quarters of the way through the battle, Spoiled Rotten only did 'passive' damage and even Cractus and Cuckoo Condor have various attacks designed more to slow the player down than kill them quickly.
True; time tends to be the biggest opponent in this game, especially on higher difficulties.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Damn that was close. Just one more diamond (which was in plain sight right there), and raocow would have got a Gold Crown on that level.

Is he deliberately trying to avoid it now? Because lots of recent levels have him within a whisker of getting a Gold Crown...
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

CM30 wrote:Damn that was close. Just one more diamond (which was in plain sight right there), and raocow would have got a Gold Crown on that level.

Is he deliberately trying to avoid it now? Because lots of recent levels have him within a whisker of getting a Gold Crown...
He's probably going to get one in

Golden Passage

at least

Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Well raocow will definetly hate the next level. Not only because it has

so much stuff in one screen, it also has the hardest to find crystal Piece at all

100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Picochilla wrote:Well raocow will definetly hate the next level. Not only because it has

so much stuff in one screen, it also has the hardest to find crystal Piece at all

Though it also has

the coolest (literally, WINK) escape sequence twist

, so that should be redeeming.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Arabian Nights
Introduction
"Arabian Nights is similar to Crescent Moon Village. Wario travels through the streets and buildings of an abandoned hamlet at night, switching back and forth between the main game idea and the Zombie and Vampire Bat Wario arrangements, albeit in a less rigid fashion. If it wasn’t for the enemies and night time setting, the Middle Eastern village would hardly qualify for the horror theme. The magic carpet is the game idea, an ideal fit for the context."

Wow, Hard Mode really spammed those Onomis (ax wielding mummies) in the one building. On normal, there is only 1 per floor.

Next time: Daniel's favorite level! Followed by his least favorite...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

raocow doesn't go down when he sees a down arrow.wmv
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Sebby19 wrote:
Arabian Nights
Introduction
"Arabian Nights is similar to Crescent Moon Village. Wario travels through the streets and buildings of an abandoned hamlet at night, switching back and forth between the main game idea and the Zombie and Vampire Bat Wario arrangements, albeit in a less rigid fashion. If it wasn’t for the enemies and night time setting, the Middle Eastern village would hardly qualify for the horror theme. The magic carpet is the game idea, an ideal fit for the context."

Wow, Hard Mode really spammed those Onomis (ax wielding mummies) in the one building. On normal, there is only 1 per floor.

Next time: Daniel's favorite level! Followed by his least favorite...
Super Hard really spams the enemies in this level. Literally, the whole outside part is absolutely filled to the brim with those bat like enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDslfZjErAc

Then again, neither compare to another level, where Super Hard puts at least three Men'ono by every single door in the level.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Huh, Super Hard actually reduced the number of Skeleton Birds. Huh.

As for why there is a ladder by the Keyzer, it is possible to get there with Puffy Wario. It involved pushing one of the Beezleys into the short hallway on the left side.

Anyways, I have a, video, to share. You may want to skip to the 30 second mark, but I know many won't ;)

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica