(shouting)

Rex Rocket: fin

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Rex Rocket: launches grenades (duh)

Post by Sebby19 »

Agreed!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ozzy Ment »

There are so many little things that would've made that segment not hatred incarnate: checkpoints, not having the stupid robots, having spikes care about mercy invincibility...I think just not having spikes be instant death would've made a HUGE difference. And that last room just doesn't know when it's not wanted anymore. On top of that, with how brutal it is, you know there are going to be people who think there's something really good at the end, so to get there and find essentially nothing...this whole segment is just a big slap in the player's face. It feels like it's deliberately intended to be a soul-sucking nightmare.
This fits me far too well:
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Jeez, calm down. It was an optional challenge added for people who wanted to test themselves. Marathon levels are a legitimate form of difficulty as they require the player to master the level and manage their nerves with a heavy punishment for death looming over their heads. It's freaking fun and I loved both super hard optional areas.

Not for you? Then don't play it. The main game is very well balanced to accommodate most gamers.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

The Doctor wrote:Jeez, calm down. It was an optional challenge added for people who wanted to test themselves. Marathon levels are a legitimate form of difficulty as they require the player to master the level and manage their nerves with a heavy punishment for death looming over their heads. It's freaking fun and I loved both super hard optional areas.

Not for you? Then don't play it. The main game is very well balanced to accommodate most gamers.
This is not a catch-all defense for design criticism.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ozzy Ment wrote:I think just not having spikes be instant death would've made a HUGE difference.
Instant death in a health-based game like this is almost always a really frustrating design choice. It works for games like Distorted Travesty because it's pretty well planned out on top of the game as a whole being quite difficult. So a section like this wouldn't stand out too much compared to the rest of the game. (Though DT is far better designed in that you wouldn't have to repeat this entire section repeatedly since you'd just be restarting each room.)
The Doctor wrote:Jeez, calm down. It was an optional challenge added for people who wanted to test themselves. Marathon levels are a legitimate form of difficulty as they require the player to master the level and manage their nerves with a heavy punishment for death looming over their heads. It's freaking fun and I loved both super hard optional areas.

"I liked it so don't criticize it. Go play something else instead!!"

Seriously that's a dumb attempt at defending the area. It was poorly designed compared to the rest of the game for completely valid reasons.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

The grenade launcher is useful in the final boss fight, I felt. Even more useful if someone is skilled enough to get it before other areas of the game.

Just saying that it's not "essentially nothing" at the end of the challenge.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah, the bosses are definitely the highlight for me too.

shame you never got the dash boots but oh well

also you took that long against the final boss? man
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Rex Rocket: fin

Post by raocow »

actually, no! I thought it took me an hour, but 'an hour' was the full recording session, including the ending.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

was this boss any better for having another health bar?

not really

poodragon a best tho
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow, here are the (I believe) 2 things you missed:

Also, you missed this room.

Also, speaking of another Castle Pixel game...

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote:was this boss any better for having another health bar?

not really

poodragon a best tho
i think it was, actually. it becomes a test of consistency more than anything. the order of attacks is always the same, but the boss movement is random, so you still kind of have to react to stuff, but you generally have to learn what's coming and the best ways of dodging it. with only one life bar the boss would die too quickly for that to really matter.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Money

Post by Money »

I kinda wish she'd get another set of attacks or some kind of super attack or something when she hit her second life bar but OH WELL
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Again, well done raocow. The game clearly has its rocky points, but I enjoyed playing it and enjoyed watching you play it. Looking forward to what comes next, as always.
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone

Post by Ozzy Ment »

A third of the galaxy is infested by slime monsters, but Earth's okay so who cares!

Not sure what my overall opinion of this game is. It's definitely beyond my skill level though, that's for sure. I will say, I thought the teleport mechanic was really cool and gave the game some unique personality.
This fits me far too well:
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Kudos to destroying that boss. It was too much for me.

I'm kinda sad we won't see you get the dash boots, but I understand your objections. Plus, going straight from that grenade launcher section to the other, almost as bad marathon section would be asking a lot.