(shouting)

VIP 3 Redux: FINAL: Grace of Kings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: VIP 3 Redux: The Forested Void

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Ashan wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:You should NEVER try to spin jump on something that takes up all the space, and any level that expects you to actually do it is not very good...
You realize this is a vip game, right?
Yes, I do. VIP games are not Kaizo Mario, though. And VIP has its fair share of bad levels that force you into really obtuse situations, anyways.
Thankfully, those are mostly optional... Most of the levels are just general strangeness.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
Ashan wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:You should NEVER try to spin jump on something that takes up all the space, and any level that expects you to actually do it is not very good...
You realize this is a vip game, right?
Yes, I do. VIP games are not Kaizo Mario, though. And VIP has its fair share of bad levels that force you into really obtuse situations, anyways.
Thankfully, those are mostly optional... Most of the levels are just general strangeness.
Spin jumping against an enemy that fills most of the vertical space isn't Kaizo

And also, it's possible. It's kinda random, but you can do it. VIP games have tons of levels that put you into really awkward situations.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

dang it, now that I fixed the game audio nintendo's robots can dedect the music again
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

It's quite easy to despawn the pokey (see spoiler). Why raocow didn't try this after mentioning the possibility instead of continuing to try something of which he knows that "it's possible" (surely to claim this knowledge is optimistic) is beyond me.

stand above and to the left until pokey is all the way over to you, and then scroll the screen ahead and run forward, despawning pokey while keeping his spawning point on screen
dont wanna jihad no more
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Re: VIP 3 Redux: The Thinning Plot

Since the forest never happened, raocow never made a mistake, and I never made a fool out of myself...! It's a win-win situation!

Okay, in actuality, that VR castle was cool. Iggy was a letdown, but then again, he was in the original, too. The spooky mountain was also nice.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Money

Post by Money »

Oh man, World 2's map theme is Gymnopedie? That song is super nostalgic and gives me hella feelings because of Mother 3.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

MoneyMan wrote:Oh man, World 2's map theme is Gymnopedie? That song is super nostalgic and gives me hella feelings because of Mother 3.
The other map was one of the gnossiennes.
dont wanna jihad no more
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 3 Redux: Soothing Sands

Post by Mata Hari »

Remember kids, standing on a palm tree is totally impossible but standing on a cactus is totally legit!

Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Yeah, these levels are all pretty alright honestly. Especially when you compare them to the average VIP2 level, it's clear that something must have happened in between those two projects... Maybe they playtested more thoroughly or something?

I especially like the red switch palace. It kind of didn't show in raocow's video, but the puzzles are actually pretty difficult to solve if you don't know what you're doing but the solution itself is super simple. It's a very well thought out puzzle level, and I don't think there were any of those in the first two VIPs.
this is getting laundromatic
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Oh neat. The level tomorrow is relevant to the contest going on.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

The levels in the past two videos were pretty good. This suggests that there IS a difficulty curve of some sort in VIP 3. (My ear also feels better, so back to constant posts in this thread!)

Roy's castle sounds tough. Better stock up on things you need! (And that's the near useless advice of the day!)
(It was about time)
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Roy's castle sounds tough.
Roy's Castle is really weird. It has two paths, one of them is completely insane (I believe this level by Morsel/Morceau that I feel was inspired by this level (from JUMP, so no QubicToms) is actually easier than the original level, surprisingly enough), the second one is fine. As it happens, you don't need to use the insane path to get both of the exits, as the secret path (the easier one) allows you to get normal exit easily too.

Of course, using secret path twice means playing the level twice, but what can you do :) (raocow will probably spend the entire episode playing the normal path, if he won't give up (use secret path twice/use savestates) however).
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Topical Dev. Comm.
That level was actually inspired by raocow saying one time 'balloon levels would be fine if you didn't have to collect the balloon', so when he played it he said ' balloon levels would be fine if it wasn't bath tub'. There is no moral to this story.
dont wanna jihad no more
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Two types of irony in today's video: The invisible life block kill near a pit, and the "

Kaizo General/Koumei's Trap

" path being easier.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The screen seemed smaller than normal.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That Yoshi ditch joke in Kaizo castle is probably my favorite in recent memory. The trope is kinda overdone at this point, "Yoshi and Mario are friends but Mario throws Yoshi into a pit sometimes if he can't make a joke haha" but I really like the idea of Yoshi having been locked up in a cage for a long period of time, and finally someone comes in to break his loneliness, but instead they use him as a stepping stool to get out and leave him alone once again.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Re: VIP 3 Redux: Monster Castle

Bleh, bad P-balloon sections. I agree with raocow with that not being hard (in fact, the one in SMW was harder, in my opinion), but it was irritating how much you need to wait. The difficulty seems forced. ...Though that 1-up death was pretty funny.

The sewers were okay, and Roy... was just kind of there. I feel better about hopping off Yoshi in the jail... there was no possible way to free him, anyways.
(It was about time)
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

was there any real kaizo traps here? i'm not a kaizo expert, but i don't think there were any.

also p balloon boon is really cute
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Willhart wrote:The screen seemed smaller than normal.
Aye, probably just a mistake in the resolution settings of DXTory?
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It'll probably be fixed soon. Not sure if on the next video yet, since I forget what order those are recorded in.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

yeah, next video is not gonna have that extra band of black at the bottom, AND it should be both smooth as well as crisp. FINALLY ?!

fun fact, that black band at the bottom just kinda exists in zsnes. like if you take a screenshot of the game screen, you'll have that band just kinda chilling. It's really weird!

edit: I said 'bandicam' instead of 'zsnes', which meant my statement made no sense.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I hate to say it but that black band is kind of useful insofar as if you're mousing over the timebar for whatever reason it doesn't cover any of the action. But... you don't have to keep it.
raocow

Post by raocow »

there's been enough people mentionning it that it'll get cropped out, haha. I get what you are saying, and honestly I could get convinced to keep it for that reason, but I know most people like to just full screen the video and stuff, so it'll be gone.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

raocow wrote:fun fact, that black band at the bottom just kinda exists in zsnes. like if you take a screenshot of the game screen, you'll have that band just kinda chilling. It's really weird!
The SNES's native resolution in many (but not all) games is 256x224 (in more rare cases 512x224 or 512x448). Anyway, NTSC TV output has 480 rows, and the game's resolution gets mapped to 448 rows within those 480 rows. Emulators often show the NTSC resolution number of rows, which makes for the black bars. Pretty sure that's why the black bars with zsnes.

Warning, geeky rambling ahead:
Other fun fact, a pixel in NTSC video is in fact not square. Often emulators (at least with default settings) will stretch 512 pixels to something a little wider 585 pixels on screen in order to simulate this and make things appear as tall/wide as they're intended to. Of course, this stretching also smears pixels horizontally a bit. An emulator doing this puts a limit on how crisp the sprites in one's screen/video capture can be in the horizontal direction.

During my recent Soul Blazer LP, midway through, I started taking measures to avoid this horizontal smearing (running the emulator without the stretching, and having my video processing scripts fix the aspect ratio as part of it's final rescaling steps). It was a hassle in some ways, but I considered it worth it. I say a hassle because it also involved a workaround to play the game with a corrected aspect ratio, while simultaneously recording the uncorrected (and thus unsmeared) aspect ratio version.
Last edited by Rednaxela 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I feel like I'm learning a lot today.